What exactly is a "flame" on CAG?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:32 AM

I posed this question in another thread but atreyue suggested it would be useful as its own discussion:

What exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#2 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:36 AM

I believe it to be direct, insluting comments to another user.

#3 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:36 AM

Well like I said on the other thread - this term is very subjective and no one will ever agree to a universal meaning.

What may be an insult to you may be a joke to another. Some people will laugh if you tell them to go suck on an egg, while others will go crazy and try to kill your ass.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#4 atreyue

atreyue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:37 AM

my little voice was heard! *sob*

any malicious attack, particularly on someone's character, previous post issues, size of their wang, or their canadianess. Some people just like to talk a lot of shit and insult instead of converse.

#5 vrs1650

vrs1650

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:45 AM

I agree with Banky. It has to be intentional and malicious.
[IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/%20http://live.xbox.com/member/vrs1650.jpg[/IMG]

Originally Posted by Nephlabobo [IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/disturbed/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]
Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".

#6 greydemise

greydemise

Forever Furby

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:51 AM

i think ur all right...i guess its just an open attack on sum1, usually not related to the topic..example

poster A:boy i think that nintendo sure is a winner!
poster B: gee, ur right about that one! i like gameboys!
poster C: U LIKE BOYS TOO!! AND UR DI*K IS TINY!! AND UR GEEEY!!!! OMG PWND!! KEKEKEKE U SUCK!!

can u spot the flamer :)?
xbl: Lucky Furby

i rock your face.

#7 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:53 AM

A post that contains some form of content. :wink:

In all seriousness, people are offended too easily. I've seen flame wars erupt over completely innocent comments. We really need to stop doing that.

#8 atreyue

atreyue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:57 AM

A post that contains some form of content. :wink:

In all seriousness, people are offended too easily. I've seen flame wars erupt over completely innocent comments. We really need to stop doing that.

A stern warning from a mod should take care of that, followed by splitting the thread and banishing that part to the Flamewar Deathmatch forum.

#9 CaptainObviousXl

CaptainObviousXl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:21 AM

I do think that this topic might contain flaming in the near future

#10 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:14 AM

Yeah Banky, if you don't know what a flame is then you're a fucking idiot. I wipe my nose with your candy white ass.........wait, was that a flame or a freudian slip. Damn, I just can't keep them straight anymore. Never mind. oh well, XBOX SUX !

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#11 maxguy56

maxguy56

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:49 AM

I would like a clear cut agreed definition of flaming too, but here's my best guess:

An intentionally malicious and zealously offensive insult or comment about another poster. This includes but is not limited to racial slurs, personal attacks, and character assasination. A negative comment about another poster's traits that is frankly stated with the intension of aggravating or insulting the target.

That was my best shot at defining flaming.
Posted Image
^Feel Free to ask me about the shrooms or put them in your sig, and thanks Javil.

#12 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:16 AM

I posed this question in another thread but atreyue suggested it would be useful as its own discussion:

What exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.

I agree. Where do the mods draw the fine line ? Hmmm :-k
Posted ImagePosted Image
Cos by Ozzkev55 | Cock by OTM
The original CAGaming lagoon thread.

#13 LoganDX

LoganDX

that's what she said!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:43 AM

I would have to agree with the intentional and hurtful part. Some people do take certain things different though. It takes alot to actually offend or hurt me, especially on the net. Others get offended at almost anything....
Posted Image

#14 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:46 AM

Any of ziononfire's replies to anything I post ... he hurts my feelings :(

#15 bignick

bignick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:50 AM

anything thats not nice.

#16 AdamInPlaidum

AdamInPlaidum

Wii will rock you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:55 AM

I think it all has to do with how people react. Most of the time, if someone who'd taken offense at something had just said so calmiy, they would get an equally calm apology, and all would be forgiven. But people are challenged and feel the need to fight back, leading to more and more anger. I think everyone who all of the sudden feels threatened should just stop and remember it is just some guy sitting at his computer, nothing more, and that just not responding is probably the best thing to do.
Currently playing: Viewtiful Joe (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Astro Boy (GBA)

#17 zionoverfire

zionoverfire

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:57 AM

We want to cut down on flaming, why?

#18 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:59 AM

We want to cut down on flaming, why?

Because people like you always pick on the little guy!