540 replies to this topic

#1 CokeCola

CokeCola

Bite the Wax Tadpole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Posted Image

Looking like this will be 1200 points:

Those of you adding Microsoft points to your account for the upcoming releases of Braid and Castle Crashers this month might want to add a few more than the 800 a shot we're used to. According to the official Japanese Xbox 360 blog, August 6th's Braid will be setting gamers back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15), with Castle Crashes weighing in at 1800 Points ($22.50?) - the most expensive Live Arcade game yet. Note that these are Japanese prices, while also noting that they generally coincide with European and North American prices.

http://kotaku.com/50...for-xbla-titles

Features

Braid is a puzzle-platformer, drawn in a painterly style, where the player manipulates the flow of time in strange and unusual ways. From a house in the city, journey to a series of worlds and solve puzzles to rescue an abducted princess. In each world, you have a different power to affect the way time behaves, and it is time's strangeness that creates the puzzles. The time behaviors include: the ability to rewind, objects that are immune to being rewound, time that is tied to space, parallel realities, time dilation, and perhaps more. Braid treats your time and attention as precious; there is no filler in this game. Every puzzle shows you something new and interesting about the game world.

• Forgiving yet challenging gameplay: Braid is a 2-D platform game where you can never die and never lose. Despite this, Braid is challenging—but the challenge is about solving puzzles, rather than forcing you to replay tricky jumps.
  • Rich puzzle environment: Travel through a series of worlds searching for puzzle pieces, then solving puzzles by manipulating time: rewinding, creating parallel universes, setting up pockets of dilated time. The gameplay feels fresh and new; the puzzles are meant to inspire new ways of thinking.
  • Aesthetic design: A painterly art style and lush, organic soundtrack complement the unique gameplay.
  • Nonlinear story: A nonlinear fiction links the various worlds and provides real-world metaphors for your time manipulations; in turn, your time manipulations are projections of the real-world themes into playful "what-if" universes where consequences can be explored.
  • Nonlinear gameplay: The game doesn't force you to solve puzzles in order to proceed. If you can't figure something out, just play onward and return to that puzzle later.

Achievements: http://www.achieve36...com/game/braid/

Braid is apparently coming out for PC and Xbox Live Arcade this spring, yet we have no topic for it. I haven't been watching it, but Jeff Gerstmann recently brought it up on Giant Bomb, and reminded me that I had heard of it. Gerstmann's quick preview makes it sound pretty neat - a Mario-throwback with with all kinds of time-control-based gameplay.

What really has me interested is that the art is being overseen (completely made?) by David Hellman, formerly of the web-comic A Lesson is Learned But the Damage is Irreversible. He's got a fantastically surreal style that seems to be really ingrained in this game. If the entirety of the game is as beautiful as everything else I've seen from Hellman, the visuals alone will be worth the cost of admission.

Preview/crazy rant:

http://www.gametrail...ies/121382.html

You can see news about the game at the Official Site, or read up on the art in this overview or go more in depth with Hellman's blog postings.

Posted Image

Edited by CokeCola, 14 January 2010 - 08:12 AM.

#2 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:17 PM

This looks interesting!

#3 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

That screenhot reminds me of Kid Chameleon.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Looks good. Thanks for the info.

#5 MJbroken

MJbroken

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

This title can't come out soon enough for me. Everything I've seen and read so far about the game is enticing. Let's hope this title doesn't get pushed into summer or fall (where it could get lost in the pre-Holiday rush).

549923.png

#6 gareman

gareman

www.oneyearintexas.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

This comes out next week.

#7 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

I'll give it a shot.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#8 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Really want to try this game out. I've been looking forward to it for a little while now. Hopefully it's worth it!

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#9 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

i will definitely try the demo. the art style isn't exactly making me excited at all...hopefully gameplay is good for this to be a purchase.
Posted Image

#10 Bretters

Bretters

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

Wasn't expecting it so soon - been looking forward to this, hopefully it delivers.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Bretters360"]Posted Image[/URL]

#11 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

I dig the game mechanics, and hope it compiled into a solid game. :D

#12 FrankySox

FrankySox

4 more than Lebron

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

Does anyone think this is going to be more than 800pts? I've been waiting for this and I have a bad feeling it's going to be a lot more points than I'm willing to pay, hopefully it's 800 though.
CAREER STATS: 521 HR, .301 BA, .419 OBP, 2 MVPs, 0 STEROIDS
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 KiLL3r

KiLL3r

FREE HAT!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

Does anyone think this is going to be more than 800pts? I've been waiting for this and I have a bad feeling it's going to be a lot more points than I'm willing to pay, hopefully it's 800 though.

No, I don't see braid being more then 800 points. I'm definitely trying out the demo for this one, if the demo is superb I'll pick it up.

#14 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, I also do not see Braid costing more than 800 points. If it's more, say 1200, I probably won't buy it.

#15 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Saw 1up's hands on a while ago, and it looked pretty cool. I will try the demo before I decide to buy tho.
Posted Image
Currently Playing:
:360: SKATE 2
:ps3: Killzone 2
:ps2: Rogue Galaxy

#16 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Saw 1up's hands on a while ago, and it looked pretty cool. I will try the demo before I decide to buy tho.

Yeah same here. It did look pretty damn cool.

#17 NateNinja

NateNinja

Pound it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Looks like it's going to be 1200 points... For only 6 worlds I'm going to have to think this through.

#18 D4rkewolfe

D4rkewolfe

Henshin a Gomu-Gomu Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

Just in case people want to see the rumored prices.

http://kotaku.com/50...for-xbla-titles

Those of you adding Microsoft points to your account for the upcoming releases of Braid and Castle Crashers this month might want to add a few more than the 800 a shot we're used to. According to the official Japanese Xbox 360 blog, August 6th's Braid will be setting gamers back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15), with Castle Crashes weighing in at 1800 Points ($22.50?) - the most expensive Live Arcade game yet. Note that these are Japanese prices, while also noting that they generally coincide with European and North American prices.

#19 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

if true, I think I might be skipping those two.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#20 bigdsinferno

bigdsinferno

unicorns are kick ass!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

wow! I was moderately interested in this game and would have tried it for 800 points... but $15 is just too much. more than 20 dollars for castle crashers?!?! sadly, i hope that both of those games flop at that price.
Posted Image

#21 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, I also do not see Braid costing more than 800 points. If it's more, say 1200, I probably won't buy it.

While Braid looks interesting and the gameplay seems pretty innovative, I don't know if I can justify buying it at its rumored price. Here's hoping it's actually 800 points.

#22 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

Oh, I really hope this isn't 1200 points. This looks pretty good,too!

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#23 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

Meh, it seems really gimimicky to me. If they can implement those things in real, solid, platforming environments, maybe I'd think about purchasing at 800 pts. No way at 1200. My theory though, is the levels will center around these "concepts" they've made an be fairly generic otherwise. If that's the case, I'd pass at even 400 and let a proper developer take a shot at these ideas.

#24 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

Brave.

#25 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

wow, I was kinda looking forward to this too. 1200 pts? that's nuts. Ah well, I'll prolly get it anyway, thanks to the rediculous pile of cheap pts I got from the Target coupon fiasco.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#26 EvyLou

EvyLou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

cheap points at Target next week make the 1200 price go down easier. that's only $11.25 which is close enough to the $10 most of you want to pay.

i'm definitely picking this up Wednesday. then again, this is my favorite genre, so i probably would have paid 1600.

#27 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

This still better not be 1200 [-(

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#28 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Confirmed 1200pts

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#29 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

http://xboxlive.ign....6/896131p1.html

Confirmed to be 1200 pts :( Beat by LP

Will still pick this up though, as I think it looks like great platforming fun. I've wasted money on plenty of shitty games, so I might as well pull the trigger on what looks to be a great game :) I just hope this doesn't mean Castle Crashers will be 1200+

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#30 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'll give it a shot for sure, if its worth it I'll buy it. Gotten tons of points on the cheap in the past so I'm good :D

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png