XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

• Please log in to reply
2854 replies to this topic

#1 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ- Official Coffin Support Group Version 2!

Posted Image

Console's Hotter than a Dragon's Breath!!

This is a new FAQ design to help those who have just suffered the infamous Red Ring of Death on their beloved XBOX 360. Here is a list of questions and answers one might want to know when dealing with the RRoD.
This is a Work In Progress. I will add more details and information (including pictures) as time goes on. Special thanks to Masked Plague for his

Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=91772

Thread, Wubb for giving me the go with this thread, and all the CAGS who have experienced problems with their 360 and posted their experiences with the repair process. Remember this is a Work In Progress so information will be updated as time goes on. Fellow CAGS are welcome to send me a PM with update ideas and I will update this thread asap. Thank you.

FAQ History

6/15/10 - Version 1.43: New question about the new 360's.
6/12/09 - Version 1.42: Updated information regarding the "Coffin"!! Please read
4/15/09 - Version 1.41: New information regarding the E74 ERROR!!
9/20/08- Version 1.4: New important information added, new photos
6/18/08- Version 1.3: New information added, new photos
4/24/08- Version 1.2: New information added, new photo
4/11/08- Version 1.1: New information added, measurements, new user questions and photos!
4/10/08- Version 1.0: First 13 questions are up.
===================================================

With the New Xbox 360 coming out this week, will it mean no more Red Ring of Death for the 360?

Spoiler

If I send in my old 360 that has RRoD, will I get back a new 360 Slim?

Spoiler

========================================================

What is the Red Ring of Death?

Spoiler

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Spoiler

What is the next step?

Spoiler

I have placed my repair order, now what? *UPDATED 6/12/09*
Spoiler

When entering the UPS store, employees recognized my coffin right away, should I be worried?

Spoiler

Ok I sent it, now what?
Spoiler

How long will it take for my unit to get repaired?

Spoiler

I sent my non HDMI 360, is there a chance I will get a HDMI 360 back?

Spoiler

What is Microsoft going to give me for my troubles?

Spoiler

Microsoft has repaired/replaced my unit and it is on the way back. What is to be expected to be inside? 4/11/08
Spoiler

What else is Microsoft doing to speed the repair process? 9/20/08

Spoiler

My replacement unit appears to have an older manufacturing date than the one I sent in. Is it possible that this unit may break down as well? (Added 4/16/08)

Spoiler

Is there another way to see if I got a repaired/refurbished unit? 4/24/08

Spoiler

I modded my 360 with a cool looking external shell, but I got the RRoD. Will Microsoft still fix it for free?

Spoiler

Sometimes I get weird graphic glitches such as strange colors and so on. Could this be a symptom of an upcoming RRoD?

Spoiler

Is the E74 and Single Red Flashing Light covered as well? (Updated 4/15/09)
Spoiler

What is a E79 error?
Spoiler

Is there a way to make your 360 red ring? (Crushedtacean) 4/11/08

Spoiler

What kind of warranty to you get from a repaired/replaced unit from MS ? 4/11/08
Spoiler

I just got a RRoD. I still have the original packaging but I am more than past 30 days, can I take it to a certain store without a receipt and exchange it for a brand new one?
Spoiler

I just found the Nyko 360 Intercooler for cheap...will this help prevent the 360 from Red Ringing? 6/18/08

Spoiler

Is there any way to get better support other than the outsourcing call center? 6/18/08

Spoiler

According to the UPS web site, the repair center requested the item to be sent to it at another date and UPS will attempt to honor the request. Is this a bad thing? 6/18/08

Spoiler

My drive/360 has all of a sudden become QUITE, as in you barely hear anything (no loud drive noises). Is this a sign that my drive is about to die? 6/18/08

Spoiler

Texas has been hit several times by hurricanes over the past few weeks. Will this affect the repair process?
9/20/08

Spoiler

Shouldn't I just buy a new 360 when mine Red Rings? 9/20/08

Spoiler

[RED DOT OF DEATH SECTION...COMING SOON...OR WHEN WE GET THE FIRST ONLINE REPORTS OF THE NEW 360 S BREAKING DOWN]

Other Information:

-Reports are coming in from several CAGs who recently experienced the RRoD that the turn around time from the time they send out the broken unit til it returns back to them is about 2 weeks during the month of April. It is very possible that the repair center may be out of "new" units and may be sending out refurbished ones almost immediately once they receive your unit. So they may not be examining your unit for RRoD, but rather shipping out whatever is at the time a "working unit". However several CAGs are reporting the units they get back have other non-RRoD issues, such as faulty eject buttons or bad USB ports. Check your 360 carefully once you get it back from the repair center.

Edited by ITDEFX, 19 June 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#2 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Awesome thread ITDEFX :applause:

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#3 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

my 3rd 360 died last night ;_;
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#4 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

Awesome thread ITDEFX :applause:

Thanks...I just need to go back and format it again because it looks weird on my end atm.

#5 wubb

wubb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

Updated the title to reflect this is a follow on to the original Coffin Support Group thread. MP (the original OP) gave his blessing for this new thread in case anyone is wondering.

#6 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

so i have a friends 360 that recently red ringed.. i believe its a launch system but not sure..

anyways he doesnt think they will fix it for free since he has called before regarding the dvd drive being broken.

im planning on calling microsoft and just not even mentioning the drive. only that the system red ringed.. will we have any problems?

1080i is for douchebags

#7 StonedJedi

StonedJedi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

Nice work ITDEFX

#8 bkforyou

bkforyou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

requested for repair last night for me... sad.

#9 chex20

chex20

....Marisa Miller

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

so i have a friends 360 that recently red ringed.. i believe its a launch system but not sure..

anyways he doesn't think they will fix it for free since he has called before regarding the dvd drive being broken.

I'm planning on calling Microsoft and just not even mentioning the drive. only that the system red ringed.. will we have any problems?

If your 360 has indeed RROD. then just tell them that. I know for a fact that since they replace the motherboard/heatsink due to the RROD they have to replace the DVD drive too. Don't expect a different DVD model though. The reason for this is because each DVD drive has a key that is kinked to the motherboard. Both keys need to match. If not then your DVD drive won't play games. That is also why it isn't as easy as it seems to replace a bricked dvd drive.

#10 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

If your 360 has indeed RROD. then just tell them that. I know for a fact that since they replace the motherboard/heatsink due to the RROS they have to replace the DVD drive too. Don't expect a different DVD model though. The reason for this is because eaxh DVD drive has a key that is kinked to the motherboard. Both keys need to match. If not then your DVD drive won't play games. That is also why it isn't as easy as it seems to replace a bricked dvd drive.

This is an interesting bit of information you got here. I might add this to the FAQ later today/tonight.

#11 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

towel tricked my 360, works for now...

Posted Image

#12 porieux

porieux

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:34 PM

My coffin is on its way.... (can't say I like the sound of that phrase)

#13 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

I finally got my coffin today, took a full week to arrive. I figure it'll be another 2 weeks before I get anything back. I'm crossing my fingers they dont repair my launch unit and send me a newer one. Well, I can hope......

#14 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

Since my 360 is scheduled to arrive sometime Friday I am going to wait til Friday night or saturday to update this FAQ. I want to scan the letter that microsoft includes with the package and take some pictures so I can post them here.

#15 Littlefields

Littlefields

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:01 AM

I have a quick question:
Do they check for a the contents of the console, Motherboard and such?

#16 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

I have a quick question:
Do they check for a the contents of the console, Motherboard and such?

I am sure the repair center has a complete check list including pictures of what to look for when a 3 flashing light unit arrives at the repair center. My guess is that if your unit meets certain repairable criteria, then they will fix it. If your unit would be too costly to repair, then I am sure they will replace it.

Funny thing is when my friend sent his 360 off to texas, he was worried they would open it up and find cat hair in his 360 since he has like a dozen cats in his house, but they just ended up replacing his unit.

#17 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

Is there a way to make your 360 red ring?

Buying one seems to work pretty well so far.

In all seriousness, heat seems to be a killer for the 360. I won't be the one to advocate forcing the RRoD on your system, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to overheat your system. It should be noted that going above and beyond simulated normal use can potentially void your warranty, making the whole process pointless.

For what it's worth, the coffin dimensions are 18"x16"x6" (roughly). Damn you, UPS Store. That's less room for good knowledge like Simpsons quotes.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#18 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:24 AM

Is there a way to make your 360 red ring?

Play it? Thats all I did, took care of my launch unit, had good ventilation, used in short bursts of gaming (with a few exceptions) and it still red ringed on me. I dont abuse my systems. Its sad I have my original Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS2 fatty and they all still work.

#19 It'sMagneto

It'sMagneto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

My 360 red-ringed out of the blue once about 3 weeks ago. After that it hasn't occurred since. I've had my 360 for about a year and a half. Anyway, before my warranty is up I want to get it replaced. Although, I haven't had a RROD I get infrequent DREs, abd the unit's dvd drive is far more noisy than it orignally was. Is the process of getting it repaired similar for other problems as RROD? I.e will they give me a nifty box and what have you?

#20 greyzieoriental

greyzieoriental

is your Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

awesome thread, heres my contributions

Length : 15.5"
Height: 6.5"
Width: 13.25"

Pic of Coffin
Spoiler

#21 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

whoa the coffin has changed since launch days

Posted Image

#22 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

whoa the coffin has changed since launch days

My thoughts exactly - the box was definitely 18x16x6 at one point because we used to get kids bringing in their stuff (foam sides, 360, label) and wanting to return it without the box. You would not BELIEVE how many people throw away the box when they get it. They're also shipping them UPS Ground now instead of 3-Day.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#23 Sichuman

Sichuman

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

My xbox died after having it about 6 months. It was only at the service center for a few days and now a different console is on the way back. When I first got it, I sent in for the two year extended warranty but never received anything back about it. When I checked the warranty status online is says service contract until 2010. So I am assuming that means the extended warranty and not just the 3 years they give everyone for the RRoD, correct? What is listed under warranty status for those who did not buy the extended warranty? If someone could answer this for me that would be great.

When I called about my warranty status, the customer service rep told me the warranty was good until 2009 on the console they were sending back to me. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding this issue. Unfortunately, I have no papers regarding a service contract because they were never sent to me.

#24 twanky

twanky

Zombie Aficionado

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

2nd time mine has RROD'd, its being sent back from repairs as we speak. Daym you MS!
Posted Image
MH3 ID: J57HR9/Tuanz0

#25 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

awesome thread, heres my contributions

Length : 15.5"
Height: 6.5"
Width: 13.25"

Pic of Coffin

Spoiler

My thoughts exactly - the box was definitely 18x16x6 at one point because we used to get kids bringing in their stuff (foam sides, 360, label) and wanting to return it without the box. You would not BELIEVE how many people throw away the box when they get it. They're also shipping them UPS Ground now instead of 3-Day.

Thanks for your contribution guys including the picture and measurements. My 360 should be here any time now (UPS said it's out for delivery and I am about less than 2 miles from the UPS store). Anyways will update the OP in a few hours.

#26 Dicerion

Dicerion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Just got mine back after about two and a half weeks. Had to readjust the faceplate because it kept turning off and the drive wouldn't open. Thanks microsoft!
Posted Image

#27 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

May want to include info about the 3-year warranty that only covers RRoD issues.

I asked this question in the coffin megathread but never got an answer. Anyone got any failure data or anecdotes about the non-elite 360s w/ HDMI? I realize that the problem still isn't fixed yet and this one is just as susceptible to the RRoD as any other unit, but I'd like more info if possible.

#28 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

May want to include info about the 3-year warranty that only covers RRoD issues.

I asked this question in the coffin megathread but never got an answer. Anyone got any failure data or anecdotes about the non-elite 360s w/ HDMI? I realize that the problem still isn't fixed yet and this one is just as susceptible to the RRoD as any other unit, but I'd like more info if possible.

Ok I will include that information when I update this later today. I will also start compiling a list of questions from fellow CAG's and put them in the OP so hopefully someone can come along and answer it.

#29 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

my 360 JUST came in at 1:20pm EST

Going to take pictures now and will get back to you guys in a bit.

#30 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

I think my 360 might be on the verge of death. Perfect fucking timing too. We're less than a month away from GTAIV, and my 360's actions are starting to scare me.

I've had this 360 for a while. It's a 2007 model that I got from the repair center after having six consoles break on me in less than a year. The manager of the entire center assured me that he inspected this console himself and it was working perfectly. (I know that doesn't mean jack-shit, but I'd thought I'd throw it in there for good measure anyway).

First sign:
A little while ago, it started acting strange. Disks would randomly stop spinning, then start again some time later. The games continued to play, but I noticed that when the disk wasn't spinning, some of the games audio was missing.

Second sign:
On top of the disk spinning problem becoming more frequent, I starting hearing this clicking noise. It almost sounded like something inside was spinning and flicking a small piece of paper. (I know that's not actually what it was, that's just the best description of the sound I can come up with).

Third sign:

While hooking up my PS2 just now, I nudged the table my 360 sits on and I heard a very faint rattling sound. I got closer to my 360 and I purposely nudged the table again, and sure enough, it was coming from my 360. It sounded as if a small, thin piece of metal was loose and was rattling around.

If anybody knows anything, please let me know. If my 360 is on it's last legs, I honestly might just go buy another one rather than wait two months and let all my friends get ahead of me in GTAIV.

Posted Image