Photo
- - - - -

Skies of Arcadia Legends - $14.99 (USED)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=24494

Was scrolling through the GameCube price drops on GameStop.com and noticed this bad boy popped up. If you don't own the Dreamcast version or GameCube version, I'd recommend picking this up. Can't go wrong at $14.99.

#2 wizardofcoz4126

wizardofcoz4126

WRYYYYYY!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

I will have to check it out. I have the Dreamcast version and I enjoyed it a lot.
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

Trying to find other games to pick up too. I hope there's a good amount of these.

#4 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

How do you look up pricedrops these days from gamestop.com? The pricedrops.asp link died.

#5 bigdbo622

bigdbo622

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

I've never ordered a used game from gamestop.com. How are they with shipping used games with original case/instructions?

#6 rpepper

rpepper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

I've never ordered a used game from gamestop.com. How are they with shipping used games with original case/instructions?

Quite frankly, horrible. (edit) Your best bet is to see if there is one in stock at your local GS and be able to inspect the packaging before buying.

How does this port compare to the DC version? Is it better on DC like Grandia II or does it hold up?
Posted Image

Current Playlist:
:360: Dante's Inferno

#7 pianoman3284

pianoman3284

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

How does this port compare to the DC version? Is it better on DC like Grandia II or does it hold up?

It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).

#8 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

Ordering two, wish me luck!

#9 rpepper

rpepper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).

Good to know. There's at least one in stock at my local GS so I'm going to head there to avoid the dreaded "sleeve" and hopefully they'll have a complete copy. I find that RPGs are generally more reliable for getting cases and manuals so good luck to those rolling the dice online!
Posted Image

Current Playlist:
:360: Dante's Inferno

#10 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Good to know. There's at least one in stock at my local GS so I'm going to head there to avoid the dreaded "sleeve" and hopefully they'll have a complete copy. I find that RPGs are generally more reliable for getting cases and manuals so good luck to those rolling the dice online!

Thanks, best believe they are going right back if I get incomplete crap:bouncy:
Posted Image

#11 neckfurters

neckfurters

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

There are a couple of EB/Gamestop locations around me that have this in stock. Since I never finished it on the Dreamcast and because I'm looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles which cameos Vise in it and is made by the same team I think, I'll definitely be picking this up.
Posted Image

#12 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

does gamestop ever have a b1g1 free for gamecube games like they did for xbox recently?

#13 neckfurters

neckfurters

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

I seem to remember there being a lot of random encounters in the DC version. Is that still the case with the GC version? I called 2 stores before I found one that was complete with the manual and original box.
Posted Image

#14 Blitz

Blitz

Nasty Bastard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

I couldn't agree more. I have both and have played both and it does hold up very well. It's a steal for $15 as long as you get everything with it.

#15 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

:bomb: I'm really tempted by this.
Turn based RPG, right?
Isn't it really long.. like 40-50+ hours kind of long??

EDIT: ALSO!! Don't forget to use coupon CAG16 for 16% off. If you buy more, use SAVER for free shipping (has to be $25 or more)

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#16 Cloggerdude

Cloggerdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I seem to remember there being a lot of random encounters in the DC version. Is that still the case with the GC version? I called 2 stores before I found one that was complete with the manual and original box.

I'm pretty sure the excessive random encounters were "fixed" for the GC version.

Other than that, the only other thing worth getting this version for is that there were some side-quests added that were previously only available by going online with your DC.

#17 typeRJ

typeRJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

:bomb: I'm really tempted by this.
Turn based RPG, right?
Isn't it really long.. like 40-50+ hours kind of long??

it's about 40 - 50 hours. and it is turn-based. the ship battles are a nice mix though.

#18 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the excessive random encounters were "fixed" for the GC version.

Yeah, "fixed." The rate was turned down a bit, but it's still rather noticeable. That and now you can't expect them since the Dreamcast would make loud ass noises while loading, whereas the GameCube is silent.

#19 rothgar24

rothgar24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

I'm going to check in store. I have a copy but without the case or manual because I picked it up from a gamecrazy. I own it on both systems and it's a great game if you are willing to try out turn-based rpgs.

#20 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

also the sound quality is inferior in the Gamecube version compare to DC version

#21 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

the compressed the music, overall soundtrack doesn't sound too good but still a good RPG

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#22 Persona7

Persona7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

Very good RPG, give it a try if you have no already. :D

#23 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

I got a complete one from GS a few weeks ago when they had the buy 2 get 1 free. (although I it was $19.99 back then)

Sad part is... I still haven't played it.

#24 rothgar24

rothgar24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up Tsukento! Price tag was 19.99 but rang up as 14.99. Found one with case, manual and disc in good condition.

#25 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Hmm, I played both and found the Gamecube version to have absolutely horrible music quality. Something about it sounded really off, like it was re-recorded onto a cassette tape through a microphone.

Also the Gamecube version is obviously missing the Pinta minigame, although that's not as big of a deal.

Other than that, the only other thing worth getting this version for is that there were some side-quests added that were previously only available by going online with your DC.

Err, I don't think the game had any downloadable extras on the Dreamcast. They actually added quite a few side missions to the Gamecube version that aren't in the Dreamcast one at all, like the competing pirates which were evil versions of the main characters and bounty hunting quests and the like.

#26 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

Err, I don't think the game had any downloadable extras on the Dreamcast. They actually added quite a few side missions to the Gamecube version that aren't in the Dreamcast one at all, like the competing pirates which were evil versions of the main characters and bounty hunting quests and the like.

It had downloadable weapons and a downloadable island. I think it was an island with some sort of egg on it, can't quite remember. I'm pretty sure it was all added to the GC version, though.

But yeah, I've got all the downloadable DC content on my VMUs still.

#27 VWarrior

VWarrior

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:48 PM

Yeah, "fixed." The rate was turned down a bit, but it's still rather noticeable. That and now you can't expect them since the Dreamcast would make loud ass noises while loading, whereas the GameCube is silent.

Call me weird but I the only time I found Skies of Arcadia Legends' encounter rate to be outstandingly high was in certain areas of the skies while in an airship. I never had a problem with the encounter rate beyond that. I played the Dreamcast version up until you get up until you get to a certain part of Valua and I didn't find the encounter rate outstandingly high.

Granted, I play a lot of RPGs, but still. I'm playing Tales of Symphonia right now, and IMO, if you were to battle every enemy that pops up around you as you run around on foot, the encounters are more frequent than what I remember of Skies of Arcadia in both versions.

Like I said, I do remember flying through some area in S.O.A., I think the area with lots of twisters, and I was getting encounters every 4 seconds, but other than that, I had no problem with it.

#28 VWarrior

VWarrior

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hmm, I played both and found the Gamecube version to have absolutely horrible music quality. Something about it sounded really off, like it was re-recorded onto a cassette tape through a microphone.

Also the Gamecube version is obviously missing the Pinta minigame, although that's not as big of a deal.

The audio was compressed to help get all the content to fit (I guess they wanted to save on costs by avoiding using multiple discs) on the tiny lil' DVD. Thats why the quality is inferior to the Dreamcast version. But again yeah, Legends is a director's cut with most of the missing content from the Dreamcast version and is the version I'd recommend unless you're an audiophile or you would like to see some girls showing more skin otherwise (some of the more scantily clad NPCs were given more conservative costumes in Legends)

#29 yoursisterspretty

yoursisterspretty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:05 AM

After looking at the website it seems that almost all GC games received a price drop. Must be getting ready to clear them out...

#30 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

After looking at the website it seems that almost all GC games received a price drop. Must be getting ready to clear them out...

Doesn't make sense, with the Wii having 100% BC. You'd think that GC games would be getting a revival with all the people who didn't own one. People only care about the newest games; if it's a few months old it's like it never existed. That's a shame.