I'm interested in trying one of these Rogue-like
games. is this the one to get?

#3 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Gamespot - http://www.gamespot....geon/index.html

"If you're not put off by the idea of an RPG in which every death returns you to the start of the game, Shiren the Wanderer can be a lengthy, satisfying experience."

Why would anyone put that feature in a game?
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#4 lord_ebonstone

lord_ebonstone

failing sanity checks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

Gamespot - http://www.gamespot....geon/index.html

"If you're not put off by the idea of an RPG in which every death returns you to the start of the game, Shiren the Wanderer can be a lengthy, satisfying experience."

Why would anyone put that feature in a game?

Because it's a Roguelike?

Do you even know what Rogue is?
Posted Image

Anyone worse than me is a total noob;
Anyone better than me has no life.
-Gamer's Mantra

#5 abilyk

abilyk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Also 19.99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...13550021&sr=1-1

Amazon may be a better deal for some (like Prime members) cause of no tax.

#6 j.elles

j.elles

Gaming Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

That's an old genre staple of this kind of game.

If your going to try a game like this this is supposed to be really good. I haven't tried it though so I can't say.

A lot of gamers today are a little to casual I think for this kind of game though. If your carefull you can get through only dieing once or twice. Also of course there are ways to revive your character it just isn't easy and limited.

Kind of like some MMORPG's are with character death. I think with this kind of game it really works though since you don't have to worry about cheap people killing you over and over and lag as well.
"The future changes as we stand here, else we are the game pieces of the gods, not their heirs, as we have been promised."
"Tanis comes to me for advice, not because I am a seer. He comes because I am able to think, which is something most of these other fools seem incapable of doing."-Raistlin

#7 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

It's 17.99 used at EB. There's a copy at my local store that has been teasing me for like a week now.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#8 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

It's 17.99 used at EB. There's a copy at my local store that has been teasing me for like a week now.

Same here, I was going to bite at $30, now they have one used for $18 by my house, Im not sure what to do:cry:
Posted Image

#9 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

Highly addictive gameplay, but offers no mercy at all (there's a rescue feature, though). Worth the $20 value if you can equate it to the amount of time you will be spending on it. Also, the villagers and surrounding towns will progress each time you die, so I thought that was kinda cool and not a total waste...but again, you will die A LOT...and most of the time you WON'T SEE IT COMING. This is the definitive ROGUE-LIKE game, worth experiencing. Cheers!

My Current Lowball Sale is NOW CLOSED.  I lost so much sweat & tears. [cries] 

animePSP2.jpg

#10 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Tempting....
"Evil is Funs"

#11 _k1_

_k1_

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

Jumped the moment I saw it at $17.99. I was interested in this game when it came out, I'm glad I was able to grab a copy.

--
:ps4: Wolfenstein| :ps3: DWGR | :360: nothing|  :vita: HN:PP| :pc: Random|  :3ds: ACNL,BD:FF| :ps2: nothing| :psp: nothing|  :wii: nothing 

#12 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

There's a short thread on this game in the DS section with some input from other CAGs who have played it:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=176264

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#13 DirtRoadSport

DirtRoadSport

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Got it, love it. If you want to try a roguelike, this is the one. If the standard conventions of a roguelike bother you (such as starting over every time you die), stay away.
Now Playing:

Wii Sports Resort - Wii
various ART STYLE games - DSi
Ridge Racers 2 - PSP

My Trade List:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=180071

#14 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

game has been out for awhile now and most people have moved on, so good luck finding people to save you if you get killed....

10 bucks would be nice.... its just too easy to get killed and lose your equpiment what took you 40 hours to earn
WOOOO I STINK

#15 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

damn, I finally found a used copy of this game at gamestop the other day...

it was $17.99 and I nutted all over the place!!!

now I see it was becoz of a price drop and I dont feel so victorious anymore...

been wanting this game for cheap FOREVER!

#16 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

I went ahead and picked it up at Gamestop for $18, I couldent resist, I hope it brings back memories of Chocobo Mysteriouse Dungeon on PSX :) that game was GREAT for what it was
Posted Image

#17 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault? I'm not adverse to difficulty or playing by a game's rules, but I don't want it to be like "congrats you're dead" all of a sudden.

#18 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault?

you start over from FLOOR 1... you lose all of the items you had and your HP resets to what it was on floor 1..

very easy to die . monsters are very cheap with hits.

it was fun when it first came out cause there was tons of people to save you but it would be interesting to see how many people are still playing this
WOOOO I STINK

#19 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault? I'm not adverse to difficulty or playing by a game's rules, but I don't want it to be like "congrats you're dead" all of a sudden.

There are various storage safehouses throughout the towns to "save" your items & equipments, but once you die you lose EVERYTHING in your current inventory. There's a rescue system that can revive your character up to 3 times, but that requires a fellow DS player (over wifi or via pswd) to basically replay and backtrack across all the stages for you ....yes, lots of effort on their part required.

Unfortunately, CHEAP DEATHS are plenty. I would say 50% on prepared-ness and 50% on luck. Since dungeons are randomized, there are times when monster-filled rooms can pop up all too frequently or even consecutively, when your food or health supplies run out, and worst of all...those damn invisible floor traps are triggered at the worst possible moments. Don't forget about the enemies too...they can level up and even attack across the room or thru walls!!!

However, the core nature of the game makes it fast and easy to pick up...and really hard to put down. Fun game, but don't expect to come close in completing the dungeons and side-missions
without experiencing hundreds of deaths. Cheers!

animePSP2.jpg

#20 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

wow I am loving this game so far, Thanks OP
Posted Image

#21 Sardoose

Sardoose

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

There is nothing "cheap" about any of the deaths in this game. Most deaths come as a result of your own carelessness or lack of preparation. You learn something new about the game from each one, and you almost never die the same way twice. The game's been described as an RPG where the player levels up, rather than the character.

I paid full price for Shiren and have played it more than any game so far this year. It's currently the best console/portable roguelike on the market, and it's well worth $20.

#22 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

How do you save in this game without losing your items and money?
Posted Image

#23 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

Nevermind I figured out to save, a little confusing at first, their are two opions QUIT and GIVE UP
Posted Image

#24 BillyDKid

BillyDKid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:27 PM

I've wanted this, I think I'll bite at this price. Gameplay reminded of one of the first computer games I every played, Telengard, which I guess is one of the first roguelikes? It's a little frustrating to lose everything, but I had great satisfaction in building up a high level character.

#25 foxdvd

foxdvd

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

this is a fun game....worth picking up.

#26 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

Can someone clear something up for me pleas........If you die, do you lose even the items in your warehouse or just items in your current inventory?
Posted Image

#27 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

Can someone clear something up for me pleas........If you die, do you lose even the items in your warehouse or just items in your current inventory?

Whatever stored in the warehouses will stay there forever even when u die in the dungeons. Stock up on Holding Jars and you will be able to store even more items! Also, remember that you can backtrack to previous towns to accumulate your supplies. Good luck.

animePSP2.jpg

#28 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:07 AM

Whatever stored in the warehouses will stay there forever even when u die in the dungeons. Stock up on Holding Jars and you will be able to store even more items! Also, remember that you can backtrack to previous towns to accumulate your supplies. Good luck.

Thanks
Posted Image

#29 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

Guys I cant stress this enough, this game is addicting!!! I cant put it down
Posted Image

#30 lbradeen

lbradeen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

bought this at msrp and don't regret a day of it. Great game and imo a steal at $20