26 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

Today's deal is:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) $19.99
Save $10 on this well-reviewed turn-based strategy game. Check out previous post if you are looking for some filler for free shipping.

Metacritic score = 86%

Note: Amazon's Deals of the Day have been known to sell out and come back in stock later in the day.

Edited by CheapyD, 03 July 2008 - 02:08 PM.

#2 Jimmypaine

Jimmypaine

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

Thanks Cheapy. Been waiting for this one to go on sale....definitely in for one!

On a side note - Amazon has really been stepping it up with the DS deals lately. I don't know how much more my wallet can take - but I guess I can't complain :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#3 Jedah Doma

Jedah Doma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

Great game and even better deal.
Posted Image

#4 jaybird

jaybird

A Real CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

80+ hours spent on this one for me, so recommended!

#5 snakelda

snakelda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

LOVE this game!

#6 djkunai

djkunai

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

Buy this game.
Posted Image

#7 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

It was ok. Pretty much the same old Advance Wars with a grim look. But I can't complain too much since I won it for free.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#8 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Weird, this was cheaper when they had it as a DOTD in late April.
Posted Image

#9 Codemaster

Codemaster

Project 2501

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ya, it was $16-17-ish then. That's when I bought it, though for $20 it's still a good deal.

#10 Fishercat

Fishercat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

The last Nintendo icons sale added two more games to my backlog (and I'm having a blast with Galaxy). That just adds to my games to play on the Wii, and while the DS is going to appreciate the jolt from Zelda, Viva Pinata's been taking up all my time recently.

Have to pass. Good deal though.

#11 io

io

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

80+ hours spent on this one for me, so recommended!

Ditto... I finally just beat the last campaign mission a few days ago after taking a long break (and playing the optional maps for a while). I still need to finish up a few of optional maps and will probably go back to the game off and on for the forseeable future.

#12 7thton

7thton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

In for one.

#13 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Glad I picked this up last time it was deal of the day, for $15.99.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#14 placebo1

placebo1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

It was ok. Pretty much the same old Advance Wars with a grim look. But I can't complain too much since I won it for free.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :mrgreen:

#15 Homerun17

Homerun17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

Anyone know a good filler that involves the DS? XD

#16 rpepper

rpepper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Anyone know a good filler that involves the DS? XD

Check out the Deals and Outlet section. This is a good place to find cheap games/accessories to add as filler.
Posted Image

Current Playlist:
:360: Dante's Inferno

#17 Tengaport

Tengaport

Cover your heart Indy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

I didn't like this one as much as previous Advance Wars titles (what's with the INSANE amounts of text!??!?!) but it's still worth it.

#18 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

D'oh, just bought this at TRU's B2G1 sale. Oh well.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#19 scottatlaw

scottatlaw

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Well, assuming that you bought 2 other titles that were at least 29.99, the TRU b2g1 deal works out to about the same with shipping/taxes. The only real difference is that you had to buy 2 other games at 10 dollar discounts, whereas here you only had to buy one. B2G1 was a better deal if you had to fill in some larger gaps in your library. I bought mine at TRU last week and I'm perfectly fine with the purchase because I picked up Prof. Layton and Revenant Wings. I had bought RW at retail price only 30 days earlier so I returned RW on my old receipt for a refund. Basicaly it was a B1G1 for me since I save all my receipts. ALWAYS save your recipts! I've saved hundreds of dollars in the last year alone simply because I held onto receipts.

#20 dank

dank

for your health

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

i think im gonna wait on this one. i have so many games i havent even played once yet.

#21 Tom Ato

Tom Ato

Vine Ripened

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

The single player campaign is not nearly as good as the first Advance Wars DS, but this one has Wi-Fi.
Like video games and bad writing? Then buy my book! Only $.99 for kindle!

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

#22 q 3

q 3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Nice deal. If you're looking for filler, may I suggest Scurge: Hive? It's a solid action game, the plot is heavily influenced by Metroid
Spoiler
but it plays more like an isometric Doom. (There's a DS only version, too, but Amazon has that for almost twice as much and it's not much of an improvement.)

#23 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

Ya, it was $16-17-ish then. That's when I bought it, though for $20 it's still a good deal.

Yep, I picked it up then too. It's worth it at full price if you like strategy games IMO. Don't hesitate at $20!

I'm not sure if I like it as well as the last one or not. I think they're about on par, but that's not a knock against it in any way! I think it's much stronger than the GBA ones (especially the second one), and I like that while they added some things, they took others away, so it's not overly complex-which is one of the strengths of the series.

I think the plot's pretty great (again). I like that it's a new universe, since the story from the last one was really done. I liked just leaving that alone, like what happened with Hawk, etc.

At first I hated that this was going to use a new art style, but it's not really that different at all. The art's still appealing, the units and terrain are still easy to pick out, etc. It doesn't really look that much darker or anything.

Also, I'm not a fan of overly hard games which means a lot of strategy and strategy/RPGs don't work for me, but this is fine. There are some maps that are tough-especially some of the training maps-but I've only ever restarted once per map (and usually don't restart at all). When I have restarted, I've just had to come up with a new strategy before I create my first units and I've been fine. I'm a few missions away from the end (and have finished all the training maps), so I might still get stuck, but I've played the vast majority of it so I won't be TOO pissed off if that's the case.

Edited by Wolfpup, 03 July 2008 - 04:21 PM.

#24 Quintessence

Quintessence

The Darkness Consumes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

This is a good game. I certainly recommend it to anybody thinking about picking it up.

:bouncy: Free Cash and Prizes :bouncy:

Sign-up: PrizeRebel

100% free and quick to earn.

#25 H22A

H22A

Happy trails, Hans.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

I picked it up last time it was this price at Amazon. Superb deal. I actually find myself liking this more mature/subdued look and feel better than the earlier games (and the first on DS was the game that I bought a cobalt DS for upon release), much more appropriate to any war setting.

#26 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

In for this and Conan 360. Thanks Cheapy!

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#27 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I gotta pick this up.