CAGcast #125: Everything is Broken

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:46 AM

Wombat deals with a broken console and body part, and finishes Metal Gear Solid 4 while CheapyD rants about Denis Dyack. Of course we discuss the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Listen to details on how to win 1 of 4 $100 GameStop Gift Cards!

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

Download - 106 minutes, 42MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture!
Weird Sleeper - Tai's Legs almost always seem to find the slots
Posted Image

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song

Edited by CheapyD, 09 July 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#2 Terabytes

Terabytes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

Yaaay!! CagCast!! :D

#3 Fuzi0n

Fuzi0n

"What's a Nubian?"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:15 AM

The first CAG 2.0 CAGcast. Is this CAGcast 2.0 as well?

#4 maxgle

maxgle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:17 AM

I was playing music on itune and saw new cagcast is on and I was like.. wait a minutes, is that a new episode, and it is!! woohoo!

#5 Spartan V07

Spartan V07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

yes finally! Will there still be one this friday though?

#6 Krams706

Krams706

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

Wahoooooo
Posted Image

#7 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:23 AM

You guys watched some fucked up television.

#8 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:23 AM

yeah, will probably listen to it right now.

Aww... no Bonus picture this week?
Posted Image

#9 iowaholdem

iowaholdem

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:27 AM

Great, I'll listen to this tomorrow! I was starting to think baby Wombat was born, which would have explained why there wasn't a show this week. Guess I was wrong...

Posted Image

#10 I Am ProZac

I Am ProZac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

I was worried I wouldn't have something to listen to at work tomorrow. Yay for CAGcast.
"It is not enough to succeed; Others must fail."

#11 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:49 AM

Wombat - if you liked MGS4, you should go back and play MGS3 Subsistence.

#12 vampireblood

vampireblood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:51 AM

Yay!

#13 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:05 AM

Microsoft is run by Nazis!

#14 Froogin

Froogin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

Woah, What? Sweet!
Posted ImagePosted Image

[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ciframe%20src=%22http://gamercard.xbox.com/Froogin.card%22%20scrolling=%22no%22%20frameBorder=%220%22%20height=%22140%22%20width=%22204%22%3EFroogin%3C/iframe%3E[/IMG]

#15 daft07

daft07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:10 AM

Tommy Boy, Chris farley: They're all out. They only got diesel. Better go to the next station! What'd you do?

#16 homeland

homeland

woman wooh man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:15 AM

Awesome. will download when I get home in the morning. Cagcast is great to fall to sleep to and I mean that in the most sincere way!

#17 Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Add me on PSN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

I'll be interested to see what CheapyD has to say about Dennis Dyack. I just finished this weeks 1UP Yours that has a full conversation with him about all kinds of craziness that links back to the fact that his game is in fact not trash. I suggest that everyone listen to at least the end of the 1UP where they talk with him if they're confused when CheapyD calls him out.
Posted Image

#18 dsingh2007

dsingh2007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:23 AM

Nice movie recommendations, the fight scene in Eastern Promises is epic.

Bizarre Foods is too disgusting for me but I love Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

#19 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

How dare you diss my belove Metal Gear you should now die by FOX-DIE!

I love everything about metal gear i guess i'm a fanboy lol

Mike is still a Pussy guarantee you he only going to be able to play for like 5 minute a day lol

Microsoft is run by Nazi! TOO HUMAN SUCKS! i hope the mod-police won't arrest me!:-#

Mega Man 9 Yes!

#20 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

Regarding what you guys said about Dyack and the gaming community.

I get what Cheapy is saying about the gaming community not influencing casual gamers, (the Madden, NFS type) but I think Wombat has a valid point when he brings up the Bioshock example.

Casual gamers tend to ask their more hardcore friends for advice on games to buy and word of mouth from friend to friend helps games that may not have done well become a surprise success. (I think Phoenix Wright is another example of this as is the buzz for Little Big Planet.)

Props for being excited about Jethro Tull and Rush for Rock Band 2!

#21 TiE23

TiE23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

Wombat finally got the tall one in order, I hope he didn't abuse him too much.

#22 peteyrose

peteyrose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

Episode still hasn't shown up in my RSS reader for some reason. Glad I checked the front page!

#23 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

It was great to hear that Wombat greatly enjoyed MGS4 despite Cheapy saying before that Wombat would definitely not liking the game. It was also nice to hear that you got the gist of what was going on, Wombat, but you can now just skip cutscenes on your second playthrough.

I must have been the only one that expected in-game XMB to be literally what it is, so I wasn't assuming cross-game invites and voice chat would be a part of the update. It actually works better than I expected, as I was able to hop from PSN game to PSN game double-checking for trophy updates and I can hop straight to the PS Store from Rock Band to buy songs and download them before heading back.

You guys missed the chance to talk about SOCOM Confrontation's delay for a few weeks to October.

"Scrolling up and down lists isn't the easiest way to find things" is bashing the competition now? This generation's gone soft.

The RB Free Disc DLC thing was confirmed to be false as the IGN guy was making guesses for some paid article, which is a great thing to see their money go toward.

Wombat, they're not radically changing the instruments. Look at the new guitar and it's the exact same Strat with a new paint job. They're making new instruments that improve on RB1's instruments, but they're not going overboard, so your old instruments will work fine. Just get the disc and you'll be fine with what you've got, especially with all of that RB DLC working with it, as well.

This was Cheapy's least informative show ever. All of these clueless remarks made it seem like Wombat was clearly more prepared for the show despite losing a 360, playing through all of MGS4, and busting a toe while still checking out Chrono Trigger DS, Mega Man 9, etc. Great show.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 07 July 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#24 vanilla_shakin_it

vanilla_shakin_it

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

Awesome, thank you Cheapy and Wombat! Cannot wait to listen. This will make the shitty public transportation that much easier...unless I get mugged for having an ipod.

#25 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

A good show a little too short seeing as the show was delayed for a few days, but thats not your fault because if theres not much happening latley whats the point in dragging the show on? Also always more about your lifes! If im gonna sit and listen to you for two hours I wanna know what's going on. Keep up the awesomeness.

#26 E*Master

E*Master

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

I like it when I'm wrong! I get to listen to CheapyD & Wombat on the way to work! What a great way to start Monday!

#27 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

While I think Dyack went on way too long on the podcast, but there are a couple of points that I think where he was right:

First, NeoGAF does have an influence. He was pointing specifically to Chris Kohler, who posts at NeoGAF and, for some reason, wants the validation of NeoGAF readers. He wrote the "negative" preview that Dyack referred to on the podcast and posted pictures of the game to prove that he finished (and, therefore, has the right to say that the game is crap). So, if GAF is effecting the way that the press cover the game, then there may be at the very least a small effect on sales.

Second, while I do agree that he took the long, long, long route to get to his point, he is right that people place too much emphasis on metacritic or gamerankings numbers. He was basically "tricking" EvilLore into throwing out a random metacritic number (90%) in order to show that the only way people can "prove" that a game is good is to refer to an arbitrary number.

The other stuff he brought up is kind of weird. I haven't been on GAF long enough to know if they go around changing user "ranks" to make fun of posters or if it's all in good fun. I mean, I guess if CheapyD or one of the mods changed my "rank" here from CAGaversary to "Shit eating Canadian asshole" (or, more likely, something much worse), I might take it personally and not want to post here anymore. But again, I don't know if they do it there just for laughs.
I don't think anyone comitted suicide because of a GAF post though... at least, I hope not. (Although, I have no doubt that Jeff Bell is quiting in part because of the fact that he PMed a user there).

#28 uberpwner93

uberpwner93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

Finally. Sorry to hear about Tai being sick.
Posted Image

#29 MarsSavior

MarsSavior

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

What's the title of that encyclopedia Wombat has? Where can I find it?
:whee:Pants on head retarded:whee:

#30 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

I think the Dyack segment should be Cag Shovelwared. Or at least part of it, because the opening of that really set the tone.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image