Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence used at Gamestop.com for 24.99

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:12 PM

Spotted this at Gamestop.com and ordered one, praying that the heaven's above will show me pity and I end up with the manual and original case:)

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=42900

Use CAG16 + SAVER and it is 20.99 with free shipping. Even better with EDGE.

EDIT: Some people are saying you might just end up with the Essentials version. However, if you notice in the product description, it says it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if it comes with one when you get it, well, give them a call. With as much as this game is currently going for on ebay, amazon, and half.com, this is pretty much a decent deal even if it only comes with both discs. And this is especially a good deal for those making mountains of trade-in credit off of the "trade in 2 games get 10 extra bucks" deal... like me.

Edited by InFlames215, 03 August 2008 - 03:21 AM.

#2 fwacce

fwacce

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

or you can buy the Essentials collection and get all 3 for $30 new.

#3 breakingcustoms

breakingcustoms

Rule The Air

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

hasn't it been at this price...for a long, loooong time?

596772.png

#4 forumreader

forumreader

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

Yes, it has. Wait for the next 25% off coupon and buy a for sure complete copy if your local store has one, or just pay $30 and get the Essentials if you don't want the second disc.

#5 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:03 AM

or you can buy the Essentials collection and get all 3 for $30 new.

But the Subsistence is Essentials is NOT the same as this one:) I wanted the second disc, so I bought it.

hasn't it been at this price...for a long, loooong time?

Ha, just take a swing by ebay or half.com and see how much it goes for. I can't find it any cheaper than this.

#6 themidnighter23

themidnighter23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

the Essentials doesn't have the second disc which has THE REAL Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 games, not the bastardized US version
where's my whiskey, Im bout to get tore up

#7 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:44 AM

But the Subsistence is Essentials is NOT the same as this one:) I wanted the second disc, so I bought it.

However, Gamestop clumps the Essentials disc in with this one, so you very possibly could be getting just one disc from Essentials anyway.

#8 Sharp Katana

Sharp Katana

Chillin like a villain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:52 AM

What's the difference between subsistence and snake eater? I used to have MGS3:S but i returned it.

9unm.png

credits to Lilchiji

#9 fwacce

fwacce

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

However, Gamestop clumps the Essentials disc in with this one, so you very possibly could be getting just one disc from Essentials anyway.

That's true. I was in a GS and saw they had MGS3 from the Essentials for sale under the same SKU as the original one, at the same price even. They saw no problem charging $25 for something that's part of a much bigger $30 set new. Good luck on getting the right one.

#10 forumreader

forumreader

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

What's the difference between subsistence and snake eater? I used to have MGS3:S but i returned it.

Biggest difference in the main game is the free-range camera introduced in Subsistence (it works like the MGS4 camera). Subsistence (non Essentials version) has a second disc with more extras, including the first 2 MSX Metal Gear games.

#11 V878

V878

Let's hug it out

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Besides MG1 and MG2 is there anything else included in the original Subsistence release that can't be found in the Essentials Collection?

#12 Sharp Katana

Sharp Katana

Chillin like a villain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

so I'm hearing MGS3:S includes MGS 1-3 on 2 discs + better camera angles?

9unm.png

credits to Lilchiji

#13 mrjelloman

mrjelloman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:04 AM

The salesperson thought I was an idiot for buying MGS3:Sub when for $5 more I can get all three games. I already own em and I told him, "doesn't the store make more money if I buy this used game over the new $30 set?" I guess he wanted my money so he shut up.

#14 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:25 AM

GS also sell the MGS3s in the Essential collection for the same price, so you might get that if you order online instead of the standalone release.

#15 themidnighter23

themidnighter23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:25 AM

The salesperson thought I was an idiot for buying MGS3:Sub when for $5 more I can get all three games. I already own em and I told him, "doesn't the store make more money if I buy this used game over the new $30 set?" I guess he wanted my money so he shut up.

was this at a gamesuck?
where's my whiskey, Im bout to get tore up

#16 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:51 AM

This was $20 at the gamestop in Orlando, FL on Turkey Lake Rd south of Sand Lake. It could've been the essentials one though, as it was a gamestop printed case. YMMV.

#17 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:00 AM

GS also sell the MGS3s in the Essential collection for the same price, so you might get that if you order online instead of the standalone release.

It says online that it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if I don't get both discs, I will give them hell:)

so I'm hearing MGS3:S includes MGS 1-3 on 2 discs + better camera angles?

No, the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES. Like the guy said above, these versions are not the US versions, which were "bastardized" as he put it.

These two games are NOT included in the Subsistence in the Essentials collection, and it is the main reason why I haven't bothered with the Essentials.

Edited by InFlames215, 10 July 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#18 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:04 AM

Worst case scenario, he can just return it. $20 for Subsistence is a good deal.

#19 forumreader

forumreader

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:29 AM

Besides MG1 and MG2 is there anything else included in the original Subsistence release that can't be found in the Essentials Collection?

There's an expanded demo theater mode that has some "trailers" of MGS4 and the Metal Gear Raiden parody videos. They're fun, but you'll probably only watch them once. MG1 and MG2 are the real treasures on the second disc.

#20 Sharp Katana

Sharp Katana

Chillin like a villain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:02 AM

It says online that it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if I don't get both discs, I will give them hell:)

No, the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES. Like the guy said above, these versions are not the US versions, which were "bastardized" as he put it.

These two games are NOT included in the Subsistence in the Essentials collection, and it is the main reason why I haven't bothered with the Essentials.

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. I guess I will be picking up a copy of MGS3 afterall

9unm.png

credits to Lilchiji

#21 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

It's been this price for a long time... but I'm really surprised that GS didn't increase the price like they usually do in accordance to eBay price hikes (like they did with Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem PoR a few months back).

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#22 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:36 AM

I found this mint at BBV for $20 and since I have so much credit there, it would be no big thing to grab it. Thing is, I already have a complete copy of Subsistence. I almost want to pick it up because it feels shameful to see it sitting on a BBV shelf unsold.

#23 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

It's been this price for a long time... but I'm really surprised that GS didn't increase the price like they usually do in accordance to eBay price hikes (like they did with Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem PoR a few months back).

I haven't seen it in stock for quite awhile... which is why I posted:)

#24 emperordahc

emperordahc

Dad with kids.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

Don't forget that the BIG thing that Subsistence had going for it was the online multiplayer on the 2nd disk. You know. The one that they took all the servers down within a year, literally a day after I bought the game. >:(

Wait? Am I bitter? Oh, yes, I am.

cagSig.png515886.png

#25 TURBO

TURBO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:05 AM

I bought this at CC for 17 bucks over a year ago.

#26 TURBO

TURBO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

Don't forget that the BIG thing that Subsistence had going for it was the online multiplayer on the 2nd disk. You know. The one that they took all the servers down within a year, literally a day after I bought the game. >:(

Wait? Am I bitter? Oh, yes, I am.

50 to 1 the same thing will happen w/ all PSN games over time. That's what having separately run systems means. As soon as profits dip online disappears.

#27 emperordahc

emperordahc

Dad with kids.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:09 AM

50 to 1 the same thing will happen w/ all PSN games over time. That's what having separately run systems means. As soon as profits dip online disappears.

Totally. I love that I can boot up my 360, pop in an old, unpopular Xbox 1 game (like Links or Worms 4, which I play often) and I know the online servers are still running. PS2/PS3/PC games? It's a gamble.

cagSig.png515886.png

#28 The Rodfather

The Rodfather

Mafia Don of Frugalness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

Yeah, that's actually the biggest thing holding PSN back nowadays.

#29 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

Totally. I love that I can boot up my 360, pop in an old, unpopular Xbox 1 game (like Links or Worms 4, which I play often) and I know the online servers are still running. PS2/PS3/PC games? It's a gamble.

except for xbox games run on private server like Steel Battalion or older EA games right? Or that less popular games where you wont find anyone to play with? The PC is much better at finding people to play for older games

#30 TURBO

TURBO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

except for xbox games run on private server like Steel Battalion or older EA games right? Or that less popular games where you wont find anyone to play with? The PC is much better at finding people to play for older games

Then explain to me why one of the best selling PC games of last year, World in Conflict, is basically dead online now.

PC games that have huge fanbases like counter strike, battlefield, CoD will have long term support because of players/clans who run their own servers. But as far as variety of older moderately popular games, LIVE is leaps & bounds ahead of all online platforms.