CAGcast #131: A Monstrous Choice

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

Wombat may or may not say anything negative or controversial in this episode. Either way, we have discussions on downloadable games expectations and pricing, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Listen for details on how to win 1 of 4 $100 GameStop gift cards!
Posted Image

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

Download - 100 minutes, 40MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture!
Posted Image

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song

http://www.cheapassg...t/cagsonews.mp3

Edited by CheapyD, 18 August 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#2 Slayzz

Slayzz

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

That pic remind me of Kratos from God of war. :lol:

Edited by Slayzz, 18 August 2008 - 05:23 PM.

"the key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering"

#3 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

YAY!!! New Episode

#4 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:35 AM

Why is it that I can never connect to the CAGcast voicemail box? I've been getting either "voicemail failed" or disconnects while recording every week since the first contest started. I'd like to be able to enter the contests someday!

#5 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

Monday Cagcast! Alllriggghhtt.

#6 nonggame

nonggame

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

CheapD looks like he's taking a shit lol ( don't hate me for saying it ^__^)
Posted Image

#7 rayee6

rayee6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

lol. you should have put on an eye patch, go shirtless and wear thai boxing shorts.

#8 crazytalkx

crazytalkx

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Somebody HAS to Photoshop Cheapy to look like Kratos!!!!

#9 RobotChickenMk1

RobotChickenMk1

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

Yes... yes they do...

Posted Image

and...

Posted Image
'Wax Off' made me kill my dog.

#10 io

io

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

I haven't listened yet but I saw in the show notes the link for the CAG game collection features. What I don't see in that list at all (in John's blog) is that there will be anywhere to store trade-in values. We need a replacement for the old CAG wiki to store all those trade-in values (in particular we have a lot of good data for Gamestop trade-ins since they've been running those promos recently).

Obviously this wouldn't be attached to the collections so much but I think that in any lists of games there should be fields for trade-in values at all the major trading places (GS, Gamecrazy, Blockbuster, FYE). Maybe these can only be changed by mods with the raw data coming as usual from CAGs who take advantage of trade-in deals.

In particular, I like the idea of including it in this part:

Game lookup bbcode for posts. E.g. [game]Gears of War[/game] posted anywhere on CAG will turn it into a contextual link - clicking it will display a panel containing essential stats about the game (e.g. CAG rating, "what it's worth" price, and a summary of people who are trading/selling the game.

Along with that data there should be trade-in info with the date it was last updated.

#11 nesfan8222

nesfan8222

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

pixel junk foreplay, rez vibrator, i guess sony products put mrs cheapy in the mood :D

nice photoshop work robot chicken.

#12 vanilla_shakin_it

vanilla_shakin_it

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

The BCR music as opening was FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! I was going to go to bed soon but goddamn if this doesn't make me want to listen to the whole thing and be miserable tommorow...but at least I'll be humming this awesome song (no I won't, I'll be listening to the soundtrack on my iPod).

#13 Layziebones

Layziebones

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

Glad to see someone else enjoys westerns. I really would like to see a new one.

www.Islagi.info

Posting a new, idiotic video every day.

#14 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

I was surprised to see Wombat being called a PS3 hater last week because of his love of Ratchet & Clank, PixelJunk Monsters, and even prefering Oblivion on the PS3.

You should tell the Pizza Guy the next time you see or talk to him that to be a good candidate for the Darwin Awards that he needs to die a stupid death.

Castle Crashers isn't coming out this week, Galaga Legions is the XBLA release of the week, so I don't know why you were talking about that instead. I think the reason for the higher price is the amount of levels that it'll have, especially compared to the few levels that Alien Hominid had.

I find it funny that Wombat and Cheapy feel so much guilt for asking for free codes from PR guys that work for these publishers. It's their job to hand them out because they want the reviews and publicity that they can bring. I have no problem asking because I don't have all the money in the world to spend on these games, so any help the PR guys can can provide is great for me.

You should have tried out the NHL 2K9 demo on PSN, Cheapy, since I haven't seen it appear on XBL just yet. I know you were a big fan of their hockey games, but have since switched sides when they turned to crap.

Wombat's looking forward to the next Warhawk update? The next time he mentions it, he'll start his line with "The problem with Warhawk is..." ;) :lol:

Should you not be buying the downloadable versions of retail games unless you're going to play it a lot? It would be a waste to download a game that you're not really interested in it that much.

Controversial Quote of the Episode: "There's no reason to own it." - CheapyD referring to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted got a trophy patch a few weeks ago, Wombat, so go get it now.

How about a CAG Foreplay: CAGcast Edition for next week with Wombat and Shipwreck doing a substitute CAGcast?

#15 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

I'll be listening to the podcast a little later, but here's my amateurish handiwork with GIMP.

Posted Image

@ RobotChickenMk1 : The Sagat was pretty funny.

Edited by tcolberg, 22 August 2008 - 12:03 AM.
Updated Pic Slightly

#16 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Be prepared to mention Castle Crashers next week as well.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#17 misterine

misterine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

Awesome picture CheapyD would be awesome with eyepacth

TIGER SHOT
TIGER UPPERCUTT
TIGER CANNON...

you just gota be a bit browner then ull look like him D:

YAY PIZZA GUY!@#!@#!@!@#!!@#!#@!@#!@# PIZZA GUY#!#!@#
It takes balls to walk around naked lol

Hmm you can get a greatist hit's title.. for like the same price for a xbox LA..
Lol nintendo putting wii motion plus.. It isnt even a good annoucement at all.. just another camera on the bottem..

Edited by misterine, 18 August 2008 - 12:42 PM.

#18 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

-I applaud Wombat's boycott of LucasArts due to corporate conduct, and I appreciate the practice in general.

-Nintendo kept the MotionPlus a secret because they are deeply paranoid about leaks and also competitors. They probably should not have in this case, but I think the MotionPlus is a mistake anyway. It shouldve waited till next hardware cycle.

-Regarding the console wars, Cheapy is right in that market performance does not carry over from cycle to cycle. Completely new ball game. This is something that many developers forgot after the PS1 and PS2. I most likely wont be buying any home consoles next cycle though. I'm going all portable.

#19 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

"Viva Pinata: There's A Hole For Everybody" :rofl:

I'll be listening to the podcast a little later, but here's my amateurish handiwork with GIMP.

Posted Image

@ RobotChickenMk1 : The Sagat was pretty funny.

Whoa! That's awesome!

Posted Image

#20 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Be prepared to mention Castle Crashers next week as well.

Doh I blame Shipwreck for not prepping Foreplay in time,

three cheers for passing the buck

#21 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray!

Posted Image

#22 pLa

pLa

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

...now that man just needs a barcode on the back of his head and a crowbar in his hand to become unstoppable! you know, just like two turtles duct taped together.

downloading right away, listening this evening. thanks!

#23 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

lol. you should have put on an eye patch, go shirtless and wear thai boxing shorts.

He won't fit into Ty's diapers.

#24 misterine

misterine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

Edit please * i mean the new lara coft model* not the movie

#25 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

That pic remind of Kratos from God of war. :lol:

you're not the only one thinking that...

#26 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Why would you guys feel bad about asking for prepaid Bionic Commando codes? Companies should be sending you review codes from the start. After all the positive coverage that you give Capcom, they couldn't send you a $10 code that would cost them almost nothing? You're growing more and more important in this industry. You guys should seek out as many freebie copies as you can, you are certainly deserving of them.

Edited by XTommyDonX, 18 August 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#27 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hey Chapy, you got a name-drop on MajorNelson's show. Just wanted you to know. Don't worry, it was positive.

#28 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Great show as always. I'm always surprised at how not cheap CheapyD is when it comes to video game purchases. This is CAG after all. To be honest, games like Braid aren't worth $15 to me because you only play them for a few hours until you beat them. Can you honestly say you'll go back to it in a week, month or a year? To me, $10 is a better price point when the enjoyment is much less limited than a full release. If BC: Rearmed was $15, I would of had a harder time of picking it up. I've only put in maybe 5 hours and I'm at the end of the game already with only the challenge rooms after that. The game needs legs to warrent a higher purchase (DLC, online multiplayer, etc).

P.S. CheapyD doesn't get gifted games on the Wii because you're not able to to send gifts across regions. Sorry Cheapy.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#29 lwelyk

lwelyk

Everyone is connected...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

Why is it that I can never connect to the CAGcast voicemail box? I've been getting either "voicemail failed" or disconnects while recording every week since the first contest started. I'd like to be able to enter the contests someday!

I'm having the exact same problem... Cheapy, have any voicemails worked for the cagcast, or is it just us?
Posted Image
I Don't Even - Bad Movie night IRC. Every Wednesday at 10 Eastern/9 Central.

#30 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

I don't get Wombat's reasoning of hating LucasArts. They obviously want to make fewer games in studio. Should they keep paying 100+ people $60,000+ a year when they don't need them just because that's the nice thing to do? It also wasn't random when they were fired. It was at the end of The Force Unleashed development.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.