• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

Update:

Beta keys have now gone out to those who signed up before the deadline. They are going out in waves each day, so check your email often to see if you get in. Here are the specific details regarding the Buy One Get One Free promotion for those who made it in:

Promotion rules:

• 1. You need to have signed up for the Early Access Beta between July 10 and September 7.
  • 2. You have to register an account at GOG.com with the same email address as the one you've signed up with.
  • 3. You must place your first order during the Early Access Beta, between September 8 and September 21 at 11:59pm (EDT).
  • 4. You have to love classic PC games!

After your first order is successfully completed ($$$ cha-ching! $$$), you will receive an email with the bonus code. You can redeem the bonus code on the payment screen when placing an order. Just move your cursor over the "Redeem coupon code" option, enter the code into the text field that appears and click on the "Redeem" button. Be sure to enter all symbols in the code including the dash (-) and remember that the codes are case-sensitive.
IMPORTANT: you must remember that the bonus code:
  • 1. only works if you're buying ONE game at a time (i.e. you choose download now or you only have 1 game in your shopping cart),
  • 2. is valid until September 22 at 11:59pm (EDT), 2008,
  • 3. works only with Interplay games.

New games are announced every Thursday and released on Tuesdays. Thanks to Sporadic, here is a list of currently available games listed by price.

$5.99

Conquest of the New World - strategy, turn-based, historical - 75.5 MB
Descent + Descent 2 - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 546.8 MB
Descent 3 + Expansion - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 797.5 MB
Die by the Sword + Expansion - action, adventure, fantasy - 482.2 MB
Earthworm Jim 3D - action, adventure, platformer - 136.3 MB
Evolva - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 443.8 MB
F/A-18E Super Hornet - simulation, combat, modern - 281.1 MB
Fallout - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 505.4 MB
Fallout 2 - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 579.6 MB
Fallout Tactics - rpg, strategy, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Freespace + Expansion - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 829 MB
Freespace 2 - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 787.7 MB
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 522.5 MB
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus - rpg, strategy, historical - 669 MB
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business - strategy, turn-based, tactical - 407.8 MB
Kingpin: Life of Crime - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.1 MB
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - rpg, action, fantasy - 699.4 MB
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 - strategy, turn-based, sci-fi - 613.4 MB
MDK - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 74 MB
MDK 2 - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 219.4 MB
Messiah - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 408.5 MB

Original War - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 978.3 MB
Redneck Rampage Collection - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.6 MB
Sacrifice - strategy, action, fantasy - 562.6 MB
Shattered Steel - action, fpp, sci-fi - 474.9 MB
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 248.5 MB

Stonekeep - rpg, action, fantasy - 425.4 MB

$9.99

1nsane - racing, arcade, off-road - 474.3 MB
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - racing, arcade, rally - 2.9 GB
I.G.I 2: Covert Strike - shooter, fpp, modern - 729.6 MB
Operation Flashpoint GOTY - shooter, fpp, modern - 732.6 MB
Perimeter - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 1.3 GB
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II - strategy, real-time, tactical - 1.4 GB
Toca Race Driver 3 - racing, simulation, touring - 5.3 GB

---
Original Post:

I did a search and nothing came up, so thought I would point it out. This is my first deal so hope it's alright. :)

Good Old Games is offering to those who sign up before September 7th a chance to still sign up and get into beta. They'll be going out in chunks, but when your turn does come up, they are offering a buy one get one free deal.

The game selection seems approximately around 30 games at the moment (from what I've read), but there are a few good gems in there such as the Fallout series.

They just updated their site today with the information.

The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.com’s Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.

Anyhoo, for those looking for a trip down memory lane, I thought it was a decent deal.

Link: http://www.gog.com/en/intro

Edited by Kurina, 19 September 2008 - 06:01 AM.

#2 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

ah i remember hearing about this not too far back. thanks for the heads-up, ive signed up and am hoping for the best!

#3 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

I submitted my email a couple weeks back. I hope I get into the beta. Seems like a cool site.

#4 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:21 AM

i cant wait, maybe ill try fallout 1/2 to see what all the hype was about...also, i hope they have x-wing vs tie fighter since ive never played that either

#5 HiddenPanda

HiddenPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.

Seeing Fallout there made me sign up.

#6 ciaossu

ciaossu

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.

Game is classic. I loved that when I was younger.

#7 CrimsonPaw

CrimsonPaw

Professional Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

It looks like Freespace 2 may be in there ... I've always wanted to try that series. I'm signing up; thanks OP!!!!!!!

#8 qwerty1

qwerty1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

i cant wait, maybe ill try fallout 1/2 to see what all the hype was about...also, i hope they have x-wing vs tie fighter since ive never played that either

twitch gamers wont be able to handle it due to the pace. If anyone can give it a few hours though they can pretty much rest assured they'll love it.

#9 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

twitch gamers wont be able to handle it due to the pace. If anyone can give it a few hours though they can pretty much rest assured they'll love it.

I have to agree when it comes to the Fallout series. Some years ago my friends got me to try the games because I missed them when they originally came out. It is a little slow at the start, but I fell in love with it shortly after. So anyone trying it out for a first time, just stick with it a little ways if you can, it does get better. :)

I never played Fallout Tactics though, but I hear it was not as good as the original games. I am thinking about trying it though.

#10 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

I signed up a while back but I also signed up the wife too... that means I could by 2 and get 2 more free if their purchasing would allow it.

This is definately a great service and I hope it works as easy as they make it seem... I know i'll drop 10-20 easy if it has games I want.... better than trying to get a dosbox going or booting to a w98 session.

#11 halofreak64

halofreak64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

I signed up could be cool I want to go back and play the fallout games anyway.

#12 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

You guys do realize a lot of these are on GameTap already? I think its great, but if you've been dying to play some titles mentioned in this thread, they're already available (not for sale and they have DRM, but still).

I think this service will complement but not replace GameTap nicely.

#13 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

You guys do realize a lot of these are on GameTap already? I think its great, but if you've been dying to play some titles mentioned in this thread, they're already available (not for sale and they have DRM, but still).

I would gladly pay for one for $5 instead of pony up $50-60 per year if that's all I'm getting. Again, one should compare the games offered... some are free on gametap.. but some are not.

most of this is licensing anyways... plus compatibility.

I guess we'll wait till what they offer when the beta starts....

#14 nexen

nexen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

GoG is DRMFree and a one-time-only fee.

Also - If GameTap decides to delist the game you like then you are s.o.l.
It happened with the Ultima games :\

#15 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

s.o.l.? Then you turn around and buy it. I'm not arguing about GameTap anyway, it just sounds like some of the posters in this thread don't know what is already available to them. And besides I covered all this--I mentioned DRM and not buying the game (obviously by not buying I meant you don't own it which means you lose it when they pull it)

#16 zoozilla

zoozilla

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

Good Old Games is finally starting? Sweet!

I've been waiting for this site. I'm tired of paying too much for old games that don't work on my machine, and when I heard that this site was going to launch I was excited as hell.

I know it's only a beta, but it's still awesome.

Thanks for the news!
BELIEVE

#17 darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13

Cheaply-Caped Crusader

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

I'm actually pretty psyched about GOG. I have no clue what they're going to have to offer initially, but I'm definitely signed up for the early access so I can browse the catalog. I'd much rather pay a low fee and own a DRM-free copy of the game than "rent" or depend on the longevity of Steam's servers. :)
I am the dryer that eats all your left socks...
I am the weedwhacker in the garden of evil...
I am the terror that flaps in the night...
I am...DARKWING DUCK!

#18 s0undwav3

s0undwav3

Report Lazerbeak!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

I hope you are not running Microsoft Vista, I could not get the game to run properly in it. Luckily I have an older system that is running Windows XP SP3 and it runs like a charm on it. This game is awesome, deserves a remake of the series. I loved X-Wing back then. I play X vs T F every now and then. Keeps the Star Wars feeling fresh. I don't have high hopes for Force Unleashed now that I've played the Xbox 360 demo.
- S0uNdWaV3

#19 R0wdi

R0wdi

atleast he's seen the sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.

#20 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:44 AM

Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.

Not a chance. Blizzard would never let it go for $10.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:05 AM

I believe the initial lineup is Interplay and Codemasters to start with, but surely they will add more and work with other companies. So many older games I would love to have again!

#22 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

I hope you are not running Microsoft Vista, I could not get the game to run properly in it. Luckily I have an older system that is running Windows XP SP3 and it runs like a charm on it. This game is awesome, deserves a remake of the series. I loved X-Wing back then. I play X vs T F every now and then. Keeps the Star Wars feeling fresh. I don't have high hopes for Force Unleashed now that I've played the Xbox 360 demo.

From what I understand, GOG games should run on XP and Vista.

#23 Foxamojo

Foxamojo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Not to mention that GameTap has game files hidden so you're also sol if you have an itch to play around with mods or config files. Example, Fallout Tactics has a bonus mission that has to be enabled by a cfg file, and chances are that GameTap isn't going to have that enabled.

#24 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

This actually sounds like a really nice service. Even though I already own most of the games they showcase on the front page, I'm interested to see how the system turns out since they seem to actually be improving the games so they'll run correctly on XP/Vista and possibly a few other issues that the games would have on modern hardware. I remember Fallout 2 had an odd way of doing the overland travel where you would move faster (and by extension have a lower encounter rate) if your CPU was faster...on modern computers you could get from Arroyo to Vault 15 on foot in about 30 seconds. If they went in and fixed things like that, it would definitely give people good reason to reply some of these games.

And of course, the lack of DRM is nice. I definitely want to see some of these games fully installed onto the harddrive with no need for a CD-key or virtual CD drive in order to run.

Blizzard has their own online store. More likely than not they aren't interested in putting their games on another online service, especially when dealing with CD-keys.

#25 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

From what I understand, GOG games should run on XP and Vista.

Yup, that's one of the things they're supposed to be doing for the games, which is pretty cool.

To my knowledge, this is the very first time that real games are going to be sold through digital distribution, which is pretty cool.

Regarding Gametap, it's awesome too. It's so ludicrously cheap I don't know why everyone wouldn't already have it. I don't mind it's DRM since it's explicitly a rental (versus Steam, Direct2Drive, and the hundred thousand other rental services).

#26 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to try Fallout 2.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#27 darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13

Cheaply-Caped Crusader

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Anyone get their beta e-mail yet? I've been watching my inbox, but nothing so far. I know they're supposedly doing it in waves throughout the week, but I'm still hoping to get it sooner rather than later. :P
I am the dryer that eats all your left socks...
I am the weedwhacker in the garden of evil...
I am the terror that flaps in the night...
I am...DARKWING DUCK!

#28 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Nothing here yet either. Hopefully they will get to it sometime today. Watching my inbox as well, curious to see how it works!

#29 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

I'm expecting a delay of sorts...fingers crossed i get my invite soon though :D

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#30 maxim730

maxim730

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:25 PM