Photo
- - - - -

? About Mac with XP installed - added 2nd question.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

I'm not a member of any Mac forums nor do I own a mac atm. However I'd like to get one and being able to install and run XP is a big factor because some things just don't run on a Mac.

My questions is.... If I make 3 partitions, one for OS X, one for XP and one for all my files etc can I access the third partition that is neither Mac or XP per say on either OS?

I ask this question because it would make using both OS's so much easier I could save files on either OS to the third partition and switch over to the other to open or run it.

Thanks a ton.

First question pretty much answered what I thought. ( See next post )

Anyone use bootcamp or parallel? Either one superior?

Edited by AvidWriter, 10 September 2008 - 12:59 AM.

#2 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

If you format the 3rd partition with a filesystem both are compatible with, yeah.

#3 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:58 AM

If you format the 3rd partition with a filesystem both are compatible with, yeah.

From what I read Mac works with Fat32 but not NTSC and since windows can do both I assume that would be my choice.

Sub questions. Bootcamp or parallel?

#4 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

You can't simultaneously boot with Boot Camp (OTOH, it is free).

Dunno about Parallels.

I use VMWare Fusion, which turns a Boot Camp WinXP partition into a simulatenous-booting WinXP environment. It runs well, and merges very nicely with Expose's Spaces (back before MS Office 2008's staggeringly idiotic incompatibility with Spaces fucked everything up and I had to turn it off). I haven't tried games on it, but it does run complex statistics packages about as fast as Windows would by itself.

The plus side of the Boot Camp partition is that I can drag and drop from each partition to another. I can't do that, however, while Windows is booted up. That's the major drawback: make sure all the relevant files are on the relevant partition before booting up.
Posted Image

#5 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Bootcamp doesn't emulate windows, parallel does. TBH I don't enjoy the slowdown of a VM so I would use bootcamp.

There is a program called "NTFS for Mac OS X" it installs in your system preference. Its 40$ legit, If you really need NTFS or plan to save 4gb or greater files on that third partition its probably worth it. Mom and pop stores might have it for a slight discount.

When i got my macbook I thought I would dual boot with winxp since I thought there wasn't that much mac software to do the things I needed(rip cds, movies, edit, create gifs, hyper terminal, etc...) After a month I reformated just to OS X, there isn't anything I need windows for on a laptop anymore.
Posted Image

#6 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

Yea I suppose the list of things Windows can do that OS X can't is very small by now. Its just some games require windows but most Blizzard games don't and thats mostly what I play. I guess bootcamp would be better since if I'm in the mood for gaming I'd reset. I'd also wager that having XP running as a VM would put it running in the background on the mac side?

Well I'm still a little ways off of buying a Mac still some life in this PC although it'll be 3 years old come Sept 21st actually. It still runs good though. Macs are a little too expensive so I think I'll wait a bit more to get one.

#7 emdub

emdub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

Bootcamp vs Parallels/VM Ware depends on what you want to do in Windows. I know a bunch of web developers who like being able to easily test their pages across multiple platforms easily, so Parallels is perfect for that. If you want some high end performance (gaming, for example), than you're best off doing Bootcamp.
Posted Image

#8 striker199

striker199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:22 AM

VMWare Fusion, haven't had any problems with that. But like emdub said about gaming, Bootcamp is the way to go. Really depends how you're going to use it. If I need windows really quick for some reason I fire up VMWare do what I gotta do then back to OSX land. No need for restaring.

#9 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

^ That's the thing about VMWare Fusion. It uses a Boot Camp partition, so you can use both if you really really really want to. Not the case with Parallels.
Posted Image

#10 pogipinoy27

pogipinoy27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

If your goal is simply to have files that are accessible both via OSX and Windows, instead of doing another partition I would simply use a web based server to load all the files to.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul. "
-Johannes Sebastian Bach

#11 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

I have run into numerous issues with parallels, and predominantly use boot camp now. I am pretty sure you can drag and drop files from parallels though from windows to the mac and vice versa.

Posted Image

#12 Firearmman

Firearmman

Member 226

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

The school district I work for uses Parallels in conjunction with the boot camp partition and have had good results with it. Parallels has coherence mode which opens up windows in the background and allows you to open windows application like they are native to the mac os. They even pop up in the mac's dock. If you want to run windows on a mac, the question really isn't whether to use boot camp on your mac, but if you need to run virtualization. Running it from boot camp should be a given.

44165.png