iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3195 replies to this topic

#1 SirConnery

SirConnery

You're The Man Now Dog!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

• Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  • Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  • Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  • Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  • Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  • Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  • I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  • If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com...rt/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Edited by ryanflucas, 04 November 2009 - 05:26 AM.
Post Update

#2 SCDallas

SCDallas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

ya I got Cro Mag Rally for 1.99

Great game for the price.

#3 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

I saw Best Buy had an big ad for the new touch when I went to their site last night. I then checked and found a local BB that had them in stock. I went to the BB to buy one and the guy said they aren't selling them until Monday. So, their webiste is advertising them, their website says this store has them in stock and in fact they do, but they wouldn't sell me one.

#4 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

:-k
I checked the checking account and seen that my BF bought me an iPod Touch for my birthday (8-)), maybe I should look into some of these games..What's Cro Mag Rally?

In fact, besides the Apple site, are there any websites with good information/reviews on these iPod Touch games?

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#5 CHARYODA

CHARYODA

Engineer of the Software

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

Darn it! I have $22 in credit at the iTunes store however I was earmarking that for the 4th season of Battlestar Galactica (I just saw the first three seasons and holy crap is that a good show). I really want to pick up Enigmo as that has loooked good to me since it came out.

Thanks for the heads up though OP I'll have some thinking to do.

#6 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

I checked the checking account and seen that my BF bought me an iPod Touch for my birthday (8-)), maybe I should look into some of these games..What's Cro Mag Rally?

In fact, besides the Apple site, are there any websites with good information/reviews on these iPod Touch games?

http://www.ilounge.c...hp/accessories/

Go to games - ipod/iphone

#7 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

IMHO, Cro-Mag Rally is a nice tech demo, but a lousy game. It's not worth $1.99. Well, maybe it is, but there's much better stuff available, even 99 cent games that are more fun. Hell, there's plenty of FREE games that are more fun then Cro-Mag Rally. One of your first purchases should be Dizzy Bee. Great, unique game, and cheap. 2nd purchase should be Mote-M. No sound yet, but for 99 cents it's a great "tower defense" game and absolutely worth it, and the developer is improving it with each update. You also have to download all the Papi games (Papi Jump, Papi River, Papi Pole). They're all free, all super-simple and all fun and addictive.

Other worthy purchases/downloads: Space Invasion, Space Out!, MotionX Poker, Black Jack Run Lite, Toy Bot Diaries (and Toy Bot Diaries Free, which has different levels), Air Hockey (Acceleratto's version), Fire Drop, Word Whirl, Blue Skies, Frotz, Wordabble, Chimps Ahoy, Tap Tap Revenge, Word Mix, Brain Tuner, Vay.

Crunchewy.png

#8 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

Remember, iTunes stuff (except for their limited DRM free music) is encrusted with Activation DRM. Apple's system is the best Activation system anyone's ever done, and by comparison to the console's systems is awesome, but still, you don't own what you're "buying".

Darn it! I have $22 in credit at the iTunes store however I was earmarking that for the 4th season of Battlestar Galactica (I just saw the first three seasons and holy crap is that a good show). I really want to pick up Enigmo as that has loooked good to me since it came out.

Why not get Galactica on DVD? Then you actually own it, and have better picture quality too, and still have all the other advantages.

And yes, it is amazing! I'm part way into season 2 so far (Netflixing it), and it's just so hard core and so well written.

#9 Togepy

Togepy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

It saddens me that not even one of the click wheel games are on sale, damnit.
Cause if you're not cheap, you're not trying!

#10 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Prices on the AppStore are entirely controlled by the developers/publishers, so that there wouldn't be a connection between "sales" on one store versus the other isn't surprising - it's a free-for-all. One of the bad things about the store is that, as far as I can tell, there is no way to tell that anything is on sale, other then from outside sources. There is no "On Sale" section, nor a list of price drops. Or is there and I'm missing it? It seems to me that it limits the effect of sale prices. On the other hand, that means that developers need to think more about how they price their software right off the bat. If they overcharge they may be screwed for good, whether they lower the price later or not. So perhaps that's a good thing.

Crunchewy.png

#11 dcfox

dcfox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

I don't like any of the driving games on the iphone/touch. Controlling the game using the accelerometer just doesn't work very well, imo.

I might have to check out Tetris, though.

#12 DeathPrawn

DeathPrawn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

IMHO, Cro-Mag Rally is a nice tech demo, but a lousy game. It's not worth $1.99. Well, maybe it is, but there's much better stuff available, even 99 cent games that are more fun. Hell, there's plenty of FREE games that are more fun then Cro-Mag Rally. One of your first purchases should be Dizzy Bee. Great, unique game, and cheap. 2nd purchase should be Mote-M. No sound yet, but for 99 cents it's a great "tower defense" game and absolutely worth it, and the developer is improving it with each update. You also have to download all the Papi games (Papi Jump, Papi River, Papi Pole). They're all free, all super-simple and all fun and addictive.

Other worthy purchases/downloads: Space Invasion, Space Out!, MotionX Poker, Black Jack Run Lite, Toy Bot Diaries (and Toy Bot Diaries Free, which has different levels), Air Hockey (Acceleratto's version), Fire Drop, Word Whirl, Blue Skies, Frotz, Wordabble, Chimps Ahoy, Tap Tap Revenge, Word Mix, Brain Tuner, Vay.

Such a great list of games and no mention of Galcon? For shame.

#13 SirConnery

SirConnery

You're The Man Now Dog!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

http://www.maclife.c...ipod_and_iphone

#14 SirConnery

SirConnery

You're The Man Now Dog!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

Do you mean the 3rd/4th gen nano/classic games that go for $5 each? They never go on sale, but I've heard an Apple Store employee rumor that they might drop those in price across the board to like $2.99/$3.99 permanently around the end of the year.

#15 rjung

rjung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

Best one I've found: http://toucharcade.com/

--R.J.

#16 drone8888

drone8888

Sin & Punishment VC2007!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

How about VAY?? Guess I'm firing up iTunes :(

#17 Jagged Toaster

Jagged Toaster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:22 AM

I just sold my iPod touch last week, and I bought one of the new nanos this week.

I can recommend both Enigmo and Cro-mag Rally though. Both were priced at $10 when I bought them, and I believe they were both worth it.

#18 Short Round

Short Round

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

That's a great list of recommendable games. I'm definitely going to try Mote-M; I've never even heard of it before.

Thanks cruchewy.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 decon

decon

CAGiversary! Excellent!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

Don't forget about Texas Hold 'Em. Awesome graphics and gameplay, very addictive for $4.99.

#20 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Such a great list of games and no mention of Galcon? For shame.

I didn't mention it because I didn't have it, but...

Galcon is now $4.99. It was previously $9.99. It gets rave reviews and I really wanted to pick it up, but at $9.99 I was hesitant. At $4.99 I pulled the trigger this morning. So far I like it. Note that this game includes internet play, though I haven't tried it yet, only have played single-player so far. I don't know if it's price drop or a sale - the listing for the game doesn't say anything about the price drop. It's just there.

"Fuzzle" is free for a limited time, so that is a "sale". Fuzzle is a "Lines" variant with some nice enhancements and seems really well done. Definitely worth free!

The Texas Hold'em craze drives me batty. It's as if there is now only one version of poker. I'm waiting for a game that has many, many variants of poker, not just one. Ideally it would also let you create your own variants.

Crunchewy.png

#21 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

When is this sale over? My iPod Touch will be here in a few days..though my birthday is Saturday :wall:

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#22 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

The prices on the AppStore are entirely controlled by the developers/publishers - the maker/publisher of the game decides the price. In the case of the Pangea software titles, they are actually calling it a sale. Also the Fuzzle for free is for a limited time according to the listing for the app. In other cases it's price drops or they haven't said anything, the price just dropped.

Crunchewy.png

#23 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

More drops/sales:

- Motion X Poker is now 99 cents (down from $4.99). Definitely worth 99 cents.
- Hiqup is 99 cents through the end of September (normaly $1.99). I haven't played this one. It's a peg jump puzzle game variant with different boards, bombs, black holes, etc.

Crunchewy.png

#24 cbotwell

cbotwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Another shout out for Galcon http://www.galcon.com/iphone/. Picked it up last night at its sale 4.99 price. If you check out that site you can take a look at a video of game play and get an idea of strategies and the leader boards for online multiplayer.

Posted Image

#25 garfep

garfep

shot Liberty Valance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

IGN reviews a lot of them on their wireless site.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/garfep

#26 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

Lets keep this thread at the top...gonna grab a few games today.

#27 soccerstud652

soccerstud652

J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

tagged
My eBay link.
I am PayPal verified and have 100% feedback since June 2004.

#28 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Nice, tagged.

Minus 1 recommendation for Vay. Maybe it's because I have so many other options to play JRpgs these days (PC, PSP, 360), but this game is so antiquated it hurts. The controls are awkward for me too.

#29 cbotwell

cbotwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Nice, tagged.

Minus 1 recommendation for Vay. Maybe it's because I have so many other options to play JRpgs these days (PC, PSP, 360), but this game is so antiquated it hurts. The controls are awkward for me too.

Yeah, my choice was between Galcon and Vay since they are the same price this week, and at first my thought was well Vay probably has more game time, but i also figured well if i wanna play a jrpg i might as well play a really good one on another system.

Galcon is pretty nice. Haven't tried the online yet, but i enjoyed the maps i tried today. Looks like it will have lots of replay value. Good visuals as well.

EDIT:

Apparently there is a trial version of GALCON now avaliable.

Posted Image

#30 UjnHunter

UjnHunter

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

i wish they had demos... :\
-Ujn Hunter
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
PS3: Dead Or Alive 5
PSP Vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Wii U: Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper