Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS) $30 - Amazon DotD

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Master Shake

Master Shake

I AM IMMORTAL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

Save $20 on Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS), priced at $29.99 for Amazon's Deal of the Day.
[Reviews]

Edited by CheapyD, 23 September 2008 - 07:17 AM.
formatting for front page, thanks!

#2 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:03 AM

if I had the $$, I would probably grab this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#3 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

Great price. I am torn, I love the earlier GHs but it seems like the later ones are just cash cows. That said $29 is pretty good for a game plus the grip.

Anyone who has this want to post impressions?

#4 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

I'd call this one of the top 5 Amazon DOTDs since its inception. It will definitely sell out before the morning comes. I don't have it myself, but overall impressions have been:

1. Great game engine, just like a portable version of the console version but with only 4 buttons

2. Very hand-crampy peripheral until you learn how to hold it "just right", not always achieved by some

3. A rather lame tracklist with some "who in their right mind wanted this one included???" songs.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#5 redrum662

redrum662

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

The 30$ is nothing compared to the years of arthritis that will come later in life from playing this awkward game.

#6 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

I just bit on the game. Figured for $30 it's worth a shot. There is also a Pricegrabber rebate for it (geez, it's been a dry season for me and PG rebates! Haven't done one in months) so that knocks the effective price down to $25.

#7 Chicago Mafia

Chicago Mafia

Nerd Herd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

Guitar Hero on the DS? No thanks.

#8 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

This game gets painful to play pretty quickly. Some people say you get used to it, or you have to hold it just right, but I can't see how it could be comfortable to anyone for more than 15 minutes tops.

Some games just weren't meant to be on handheld consoles.

#9 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

This will make my boney fingers writhe in pain.

#10 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

Does this work on the earlier DS? Or is it Lite only?

#11 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

Does this work on the earlier DS? Or is it Lite only?

I believe it comes with an adapter for the fat.

#12 Master Shake

Master Shake

I AM IMMORTAL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

I believe it comes with an adapter for the fat.

It sure does.

#13 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

A pretty great price, not to mention that Guitar Hero: Decades is coming soon. This way, you'll already have the first game and the grip at a great price.

#14 Callandor

Callandor

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

I would be all over this, but I've already spent enough this month. :cry:

Oh well. Better to save the money for World Tour, anyway.

#15 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

So tempting to do this, but i say it be 20 black friday. also Rented it off Blockbuster. didnt have a problem holding it. i held it a werid way (didnt hold it around the back) i missed a lot of notes but at least it didnt kill my hands.

would been a major grab at 20

with 2 major RPG games coming this with. Dragon quest 4 that i just started chapter 3 and between 3 to 10 games coming in the next 2-3 weeks off Goozex/ gamefly i just cant see buyin this

EDIT 3 RPG type games coming this week. Just found out i won DRONE TACTICS Sealed for 12 bucks off ebay.

though i will be very lucky to even play that around xmas .... rented it back in may and fun game but got boring quick.

it probally just sit next to my sealed rondo of swords hopin one day i get to it
WOOOO I STINK

#16 breakingcustoms

breakingcustoms

Rule The Air

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

thanks OP...i bought it. i had $5 in amazon giftcards that went to that, so i got it for $24.99...not too bad on a game still priced $50 everywhere

596772.png

#17 daminion

daminion

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

anyone have any impressions on how well this works for kids? Considering picking this up for my 7yo son.

#18 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

I played this a bit before it came out at a Toys R Us thing. Really didn't like it. Not only did it feel awkward, but the touch screen strumming just doesn't work as well as it obviously should.

#19 imacgod

imacgod

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

I played this a bit before it came out at a Toys R Us thing. Really didn't like it. Not only did it feel awkward, but the touch screen strumming just doesn't work as well as it obviously should.

I agree. My timing was all off.

Nevertheless, I bought it anyway. :bouncy:

#20 Gideon68

Gideon68

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

I got one, thanks

#21 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

About hand pain: doesn't Guitar Here on the consoles cause you pain? It sure does for me. Mind you, the DS game/grip might be worse. I don't know as I haven't tried it.

#22 mer71

mer71

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

I bought this when it came out. Hand cramps are a big problem. And instead of strumming, just tap on the strings. It still is very cool how they translated GH over to the DS.

#23 sj41

sj41

That's Bitchin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

My 10 year old sister has been wanting this game for the past month or two (since she got her DS) and she was going to go buy it, but I convinced her to hold off on it. She just brought it up today, too.

I wanted to rent the game for her before she bought it, but at $20 off, no tax and free shipping, I picked it up for her. CAG is really hooking her up with great DS deals.

#24 BlueSwim

BlueSwim

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

1. Great game engine, just like a portable version of the console version but with only 4 buttons

2. Very hand-crampy peripheral until you learn how to hold it "just right", not always achieved by some

3. A rather lame tracklist with some "who in their right mind wanted this one included???" songs.

I agree with all 3. The engine is a perfect portable Guitar Hero, the grip will most likely bother your hand/wrist, and the track listing has some songs the literally almost put me to sleep(Black Magic Woman and Stray Cat Strut come to mind).
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2266
Menage a 3 - It's like Archie without the bullshit.

http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=7899
Eerie Cuties - Vampires in high school. Don't worry, no sparkling.

Posted Image
Twitter - Bitter. Spiteful. Funky.

#25 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

I'd call this one of the top 5 Amazon DOTDs since its inception. It will definitely sell out before the morning comes.

In a way, I'm surprised it hasn't sold out. The Guitar Hero franchise is so popular, I would figure more folks would jump on the DS iteration...however, honestly, I believe the developers felt the game would be better received and would sell higher. From what I've seen and gathered, the game isn't hot and the grip is quickly uncomfortable.

#26 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

In a way, I'm surprised it hasn't sold out. The Guitar Hero franchise is so popular, I would figure more folks would jump on the DS iteration...however, honestly, I believe the developers felt the game would be better received and would sell higher. From what I've seen and gathered, the game isn't hot and the grip is quickly uncomfortable.

I'm not surpised at all $49 is a lot for a DS game, and I might have jumped on this but $29 isn't really cheap and there's no price protection should it fall further.

Stores are gonna have to make some shelf space for the holiday rush of releases.
[cp][/cp]

#27 Nicko

Nicko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

Thanks op, in for one. Played this at TRU a while ago, and actually had some decent fun with it.

To those skeptics who think the game will further drop, remember this: the game is using a very large DS cart for all the songs which is expensive, and it comes with a peripheral. I highly doubt you will see savings greater than $20 anytime soon. Plus this game still sells like crazy.
"Are you prepared to play the game that dares the only price for fame?" F-ZERO GX

#28 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

Thanks op, in for one. Played this at TRU a while ago, and actually had some decent fun with it.

To those skeptics who think the game will further drop, remember this: the game is using a very large DS cart for all the songs which is expensive, and it comes with a peripheral. I highly doubt you will see savings greater than $20 anytime soon. Plus this game still sells like crazy.

Still...$50 for a DS game?
[cp][/cp]

#29 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

I'm not surpised at all $49 is a lot for a DS game, and I might have jumped on this but $29 isn't really cheap and there's no price protection should it fall further.

As yes, I forgot about the $50 pricetag. Still, I think of the benefit of already having the grip when Decades comes out, at least at the $30 price point.

#30 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:41 AM

I keep hearing mention of getting the peripheral for when Decades comes out, but...

Posted Image

It's at Amazon for pre-order $49.99, and I don't see a game-only option available.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png