Photo
- - - - -

EA strikes back against Gamestop (USED must pay $20 dollars for new feature)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 militantatheistaphob

militantatheistaphob

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

The feature to download new player stats everyday for NBA Live is locked to your console with a code in the box. Buy used you must pay 19.99 to have the updates.

http://blog.us.plays...tore-update-54/

Will gamestop mention this to people who buy this game used?

Game companies can do whatever they want to restrict used game sales. They don't have to let you own resale rights to the game. Just like an artist doesn't have to sale his painting, but instead can rent it out for you to hang in your house for a day.

Only a one console future could kill gamestop. I think the console wars prevent crazy DRM

#2 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

Wow. That's actually the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in a long, long time. Or at least since the Spore debacle.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#3 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Good.

I know I will be in the minority, but at least the people who made the game will get some cash, not the Gamestop CEO.

#4 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

A lot of Goozexers will be pissed.
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#5 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

yeah......that won't hurt their sales
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#6 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

I like this idea. Not only because EA is going after Gamestop's gravy train but also because EA is specifically using this in a flagship title and not going after the collector's market.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#7 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

What about when (not if) your 360 dies? Are you just fucked?

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#8 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

What about when (not if) your 360 dies? Are you just fucked?

Only if you are not connected to live, but that's an xbox issue not an EA issue.

#9 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

first releasing burnout paradise on PSN, then release bike for free. I wonder if GS will do anything about it

#10 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

first releasing burnout paradise on PSN, then release bike for free. I wonder if GS will do anything about it

Drop Used Game Prices.

#11 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

Probably drop the price of a used copy of NBA Live by $20, they'll still make a profit. I joke of course.

I'm interested to see how this pans out, EA are big enough that if they keep this up they may actually hurt GS.

Now if Activision started making similar moves............:-k

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#12 magus83

magus83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

I'm not even a fan of sports games but wow that royally sucks. I mean $20 for updates and not to mention sport games come out every year, just blows. So EA is already hurting their consumer with heavily DRM pc games, and now their targeting console games? ugh.

I hope this doesn't catch on with other companies, or else I'll probably wind up spending less time gaming with all this nonsense in the future. I should be able to buy used merchandise just like almost everything else out there like cars, books etc. without being penalized for it.

#13 wubb

wubb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'd just play it w/o daily updated player stats. :shrug:

#14 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

Pretty shitty, since I get most of my games off of Goozex these days.

In this case I wasn't buying the game anyway and if I was I wouldn't care about getting updated stats anyway, but I still don't like it as it's a slippery slope where they could take away more worthwhile features from used copies in the future.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#15 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

You know... it's funny how I always call out EA and get flamed. Yet something like this gets posted and suddenly people don't like EA.

They are still around for a reason people. Don't buy their fucking shit and they won't be able to do this kind of crap or won't be around at all. Simple as that.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#16 militantatheistaphob

militantatheistaphob

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

I should be able to buy used merchandise just like almost everything else out there like cars, books etc. without being penalized for it.

Translation: I should be able to force an artist to have no benefit from unlimited numbers of people after me enjoying his work.

Movie theaters don't let you sell a used copy of your viewing for you to sale. DRM locked to you is the same as a movie theater ticket.

#17 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

You know... it's funny how I always call out EA and get flamed. Yet something like this gets posted and suddenly people don't like EA.

They are still around for a reason people. Don't buy their fucking shit and they won't be able to do this kind of crap or won't be around at all. Simple as that.

I've stopped buying long time ago... not because they suck, which they do, but they haven't released anything that is near enjoyable... double suck.

#18 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Movie theaters don't let you sell a used copy of your viewing for you to sale. DRM locked to you is the same as a movie theater ticket.

I don't see it as quite the same. When I go to the movies tonight, I'm paying $10 for the experience of seeing the movie on the big screen. I'm not buying any property.

When I buy a movie on DVD, I'm paying to own a copy, that I can do whatever I like with other than make other copies of due to the encryption laws. That includes keeping it to watch as many times as I want, or selling it or giving it to someone else if I don't want it (as long as I'm not keeping a ripped copy for myself).

Now they can change the laws, go to digital distribution only and make it so we don't really own any property. They do that, and I'm done buying games, movies etc. I'd quit gaming and just leave movie watching only in theaters since my money isn't really buying anything.

If I don't get something I can sell later, I didn't buy anything and get no assets for my money. It's ok for something where I'm paying for an experience--going to a movie theater, a concert, a sporting event etc. But not when I'm wanting to own something outright.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#19 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

EA is definitely trying creative things to stick it to the man, I'll give them that. This might be overkill though.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#20 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

LOL. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at EA's DRM/code shenanigans anymore. Someday it'll backfire on them.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#21 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

I can totally see this backfiring on them.

#22 mogamer

mogamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

Is this an advertised feature that's mentioned on the box or game manuel? If it is and it doesn't mention any form of payment, I smell a class action lawsuit!

#23 militantatheistaphob

militantatheistaphob

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

A movie maker never has to release his show on DVD. He can just keep releasing it in theaters or only on pay per view. Its the artists choice on whether he feels you should have the option to own and resale a copy.

People who rent an artists work to make money off the artists work are practically stealing, because there is no devaluation after each rental like their is in rental cars or other physical goods

#24 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

I got no beef with this. Game companies don't see as much profit as some people seem to think they do.

EDIT: Also

The feature to download new player stats everyday for NBA Live is locked to your console with a code in the box.

Its not like you couldn't find an unused code.

#25 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

I'd just play it w/o daily updated player stats. :shrug:

I am with you there. No big deal to me. Whats it save like $5 to buy a used copy when the game is newer? So you stack that with a 10-20% coupon and save the $20 to get the game used. If you want all the features then buy new.

I really have no complaints on this. I can see why others do.

I can see the next logical step being that DLC being locked on all future games. Again makes sense to me. The base game is there so thats what counts...now if they continue to rush games and then fill in the gaps with DLC then I could see a huge problem.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#26 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

It would not be a CLA because of the fact that when you buy the product it is there.

You can't have a CLA against EA because you bought the game second hand.

I hate gamestop and used game sales.

I hope more pubs lock onto this.

#27 mogamer

mogamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

A movie maker never has to release his show on DVD. He can just keep releasing it in theaters or only on pay per view. Its the artists choice on whether he feels you should have the option to own and resale a copy.

People who rent an artists work to make money off the artists work are practically stealing, because there is no devaluation after each rental like their is in rental cars or other physical goods

Who says anything about selling a rental? People who purchase it have resale rights. If an artist sells something, the new owner can resell it. Paintings get sold all the time. Does the artist get anything out of this? And games do go down in price. Just go to Gamestop and tell me how many $50 games are for sale in the bargin bins.

For whatever reason creators of software feel that they're better than anyone else and should be exempt from the laws of economics. 90% of the games and movies I purchase are either on sale, have had a price reduction or two or are used. If a developer/publisher don't like it or can't make any money under these circumstances, then they should get out of the business and find something else to do.

I really find it hard to believe that so many people on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer would approve of such tactics.

#28 militantatheistaphob

militantatheistaphob

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Gamestop should release stats on how much revenue they make off a certain individual game.

We then could have the developers tell us how much revenue they made off that game.

It is theoretically possible for game maker to make one thousand off game while gamestop makes one million off the same game just by reselling it.

A Parasitic relationship

#29 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

The problem is if you make a product and decide to sell it to consumers, consumers can do whatever they want with that copy of that product.

They make money off of new sales. They can't make money off of second hand sales. It's true for any sold product.

Only way around it is to go digital distribution where people don't own a physical product but just a license to play a digital copy on one machine. That's the only way they can kill the second hand market.

But that would likely drive so many people away from buying at all that they'd come out worse than they are now.

Look, I hate gamestop as much as anyone and haven't shopped there in years. But if I'm going to buy a product, I have to be able to do as I please with that product in terms of being able to sell it as long as I'm not keeping a copy for myself.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#30 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

You don't always have resale rights per-say. I remember games like Sonic stating on the cartridge "Not fore Resale," because at the time, that's the best they could do.