CAGcast #136: Pre-TGS BS, DSi, LBP, and Other Abbreviations

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:44 AM

As TGS fast approaches, Wombat and Cheapy discuss the LittleBigPlanet beta, the Nintendo DSi, publishers vs. used game retailers, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

Download - 88 minutes, 38MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Tai Videos:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/30411

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassg...t/cagsonews.mp3

Edited by CheapyD, 17 October 2008 - 04:18 AM.

#2 Wolve11

Wolve11

yea whatever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:33 AM

early or late? :)

#3 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:45 AM

Awesome! I thought it would be posted at midnight!

#4 BJWanlund

BJWanlund

Broke & Otherwise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

I don't think the timing matters. Either way, it's a new CAGCast. Woot.

I'll probably listen tomorrow.

BJ

#5 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:59 AM

Nice! An hour early! Downloading to ipod now...

#6 maxgle

maxgle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:02 AM

wow, a little early this week.

#7 uberpwner93

uberpwner93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

Listening to it before bed.
Posted Image

#8 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:12 AM

Ahh i love my weekly cagcast fix
Insert clever line here......

#9 Panther1484

Panther1484

Hail to Pitt!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

Nice! Downloading now..

#10 BJWanlund

BJWanlund

Broke & Otherwise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:26 AM

Been listening to it, and I agree with Cheapy about the price of new disc-based games being way too high.

If you don't want a robust used game market, don't price it so damn high.

BJ

#11 weevles

weevles

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:46 AM

Thank you cheapy!

For the NBA Live code thing, I'm not sure that's a good example (at least compared to the GoW maps) because the Live DNA feature is almost like a subscription to a service. It wouldn't make sense for a used copy to be able get a sub since it's part of the secondary market and the cost of using that service can't be recoup'd. But yeah, not getting maps or in-game gear is lame.

I'd like to agree about disc-based games being too high, but you know the game companies' answer will be to move toward digital distribution, something I'm not keen on.

I also don't agree with Wombat about Sony's intended audience for LBP. There's no evidence in the marketing that suggests that Sony is looking at the Wii-crowd as the primary buyers of the game. I think Sony's main focus is that LBP is a unique title that is exclusive to the PS3 and that it provides a new kind of user experience that showcases the power of PS3 and PSN. I think the game is being promoted to anyone who doesn't already own a PS3 and that shouldn't necessarily be confused with people who are the casual core audience of the Wii. You can argue that LBP is not going to sell as many PS3s as Sony is hoping for, but I think saying that Sony specifically wants Wii-owners or the Wii casual gaming audience to buy the game and/or the system for the game is off the mark. The bottom line is, Sony wants to sell more PS3s in general. They aren't specifically going after the Wii audience with LBP, just more customers period.

As for the beta itself, I thought it was fun and promising as a full-blown game. I hear it's an old build, so maybe some of the little graphical glitches and other minor annoyances will be ironed out. I do agree that only a certain niche of folks will be able to make full use of all the custom user features, though, and I think it does hurt the game to a certain extent, but I don't think it will hurt sales per se. Sony might not sell as many PS3s or copies of the game as they want, but this title will probably still be among the best-selling titles the system will have this year, for better or worse.

Edited by gunm, 07 October 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#12 TiE23

TiE23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:00 AM

Yay, now to listen to it 4 times... I'm so pitiful (it's background noise for me when I'm working, it keeps my mind off the mind-numbing work I'm doing) - so yay!

#13 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

Cheapy is wrong. You WILL NOT be able to play VC/WW games off the SD card with the upcoming update. You can directly download them to the SD card only. Read through the Ninten-speak, Cheapy.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#14 vanilla_shakin_it

vanilla_shakin_it

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:39 AM

Damn wish I didn't have college tomorrow. At least the light rail ride will be somewhat easier...but just as smelly.

#15 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

Sweet ty Cheapy and Wombat for making Mondays so much better

Sounds like this will be a good show since it will be loaded with opinions :]

Can't wait to hear all the arguing XD

1xz7eo.gif

#16 super_nerd

super_nerd

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:00 AM

Cheapy is so right about the cheaper games. It doesn't make sense to release games at a lower price right away but it does make sense to have something like greatest hits for the PS2 on a more aggressive and massive scale. Heaven knows I've bought a lot of (maybe shitty) games for budget prices and so have other CAGs, as evident in all the CC/BB/Target/Walmart/etc. clearance/markdown/reprint threads.

#17 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

LBP is going to be awesome you guys don't give it much credit

#18 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

I am not excited for LBP, and I will not buy it. I have absolutely no interest in it. Am I a bad person?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#19 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

How well did you do in destroying me, Wombat? ;)

#20 Shady3011

Shady3011

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

Cheapy, the outside camera on the DSi is 3 megapixels. Only the inside one is 0.3 megapixels.

#21 cdubya42

cdubya42

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

In response to the the Costs behind the making of a Movie versus a Game.. it's more expensive to produce a movie because of all you have to take into consideration (ie actors, camera operators, directors, etc.. ) yet they only cost 20-25 bucks brand new in the new releases bin.. where as games do not cost that much to produce but yet they're 3x the price point and retain that value for the life time of that game unless a sequel comes out. There is an alternative to this that wouldn't kill off the used game market by requiring the resellers to pay royalties to the publishers which when it comes down to it is all this hoopla is about... I do tend to buy a lot of my games new simply because i hate getting scratched discs w/ missing manuals etc.. but i do love a good deal.. so i dunno.. i do buy the occasional used title but not as much as i do new.. I agree w/ Cheapy that more titles would sell if they were more affordable especially in today's economy.

#22 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

That heist Level in the LBP beta tells you the order of the dice have to be in right at the beginning of the level, although I will admit that level is very lacking. The world of Colour is a much better level.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#23 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

Cheapy is wrong. You WILL NOT be able to play VC/WW games off the SD card with the upcoming update. You can directly download them to the SD card only. Read through the Ninten-speak, Cheapy.

Sorry, these guys got it wrong, it seems:
http://www.nintendow...om-the-sd-slot/

Iwata announced during the Japan fall press conference that, in the spring of 2009, gamers can expect to have the ability to load and play software direct from your SD card in your SD slot, as well as download items directly to their SD slot.

Cheapy, the outside camera on the DSi is 3 megapixels. Only the inside one is 0.3 megapixels.

I believe this is just some sloppy blog reporting and that both cameras are actually 0.3 megapixels.

http://www.nintendo....resen/e/02.html

For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.

I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned the 3mp camera if they had one.

#24 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

It seemed that a lot of people assumed that it was load & play off of the SD card after translating the announcements from another language, but they cleared it up with the NOA announcements the following day.

#25 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Looking at some of the proof now, namely a transcript of Iwata's speech, the front camera is most likely 0.3 megapixels. The 3MP was likely just a mistranslation of Gemaga's liveblog comment.

#26 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

It seemed that a lot of people assumed that it was load & play off of the SD card after translating the announcements from another language, but they cleared it up with the NOA announcements the following day.

It sounds like they are going to simplify the process and make it a one-step deal. So, you hit one button, the Wii copies the game off the SD card onto it's internal memory and the game launches.

http://www.nintendo....resen/e/06.html

We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it

#27 Shady3011

Shady3011

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

Too much miscommunication over this damn DSi specs and other poo poo. Wired's blog mentions that both are 300,000 pixels, but Joystiq and others are still sticking to the two different camera model. The official site seems to point out both cameras. Can anyone translate what the blurb says?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

#28 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

I don't think i mentions the megapixels on that page, but this leads me to believe that both camera are shitty:

http://www.nintendo.....esen/e/02.html
For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.

#29 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I wonder if you are going to be able to play pirated games from the SD card on the DS. I know Nintendo is going to try and prevent this but I wonder if the hackers will get around it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#30 uberpwner93

uberpwner93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

I think the software price is outrageous. I still paying for the games full price, but $60 is a little much. Why not drop it to $40? That seems to be a reasonable price. But no matter how low they drop the price of new games, there will always be the cheap asses who buy them used.
Posted Image