#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...n-gomibako-psn/

Posted Image
Click to embiggen

When we say that Gomibako -- a new PSN title -- is trashy, we're not aiming to dis the game. You see, we're not referring to the game's quality, we're simply referring to what the game's all about. The given name "Gomibako" literally means "trash box," or "trash can" if you prefer. It's all about festering piles of garbage and how to get rid of them properly (and by "properly," we really mean "in outrageous and silly ways").

In going about our Earth-friendly activities, Gomibako asks players to fill up a giant blue bin with as much trash as possible. The game plays a lot like Tetris, and so, it's important to properly place each falling piece of garbage in order to conserve space for more items to come. But since we're not talking about irregularly-shaped articles of trash, conserving space proves to be a little more difficult than it sounds.

As garbage flows in and you're starting to make a decent-sized pile, you'll notice that placing certain objects on other objects of a different type will cause them to break -- ultimately altering the sizable footprint of any object. For example, if a giant Buddhist bell that's made out of metal is in the trash pile, anything that hits it and is made of wood will shatter into pieces. If the item happens to be a wooden coffin, it becomes nothing more than a pile of boards.

Material composition is just one thing. It gets slightly more complicated as the elements are added. After playing a bit further, you'll notice that you might get something that looks like a sword on fire. This means you can start burning trash in your bin. Anything that actually could catch on fire or combust in real life will do just that at the touch of this item. The idea here is to chain combustible trash. After awhile, the trash will explode and be removed from the bin. Another way of getting rid of trash is to smash open objects that contain water and start flooding the bin. Doing so will slowly rot away the items in the water. You'll want to do this so you can continue filling up the bin without overflowing.

Interestingly the game also has "bosses" -- or at least, boss items which need to be thrown away in the bin. They are significantly more difficult to work with. The one we saw was a rather large truck, which due to its size, was a tougher to find a spot for. All things considered, including the material composition and elemental effects, there's actually quite a lot going on here. The more difficult levels will certainly be interesting to see. When a stage is cleared, you'll be given a rating of either ECO (good) or EGO (bad) depending on how much trash you've disposed of.

Underneath Gomibako's Tetris-like gameplay lies a social consciousness teaching us the importance of good waste disposal. Japan is no stranger to efficient plans on keeping its environment clean and green, and we'd like to think the game's concept would reach out positively toward that crowd. In fact, it was the most popular PSN title among the Japanese gamers who waited in line to play PSN games. This strong localized taste has us worried, though -- worried over whether the title would be released elsewhere. If it isn't, we'd most certainly be disappointed to miss out on such an interesting game.

#2 happy

happy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

Will there be online play kind of like all the tetris knock-offs, that would make this very cool, especially if you can use elemental effects on your opponent, maybe be able to flood their garbage with water.

Either way sounds interesting. Hopefully it won't come out too soon or it will just get lost like so many other games.

PS3 is getting filled with great physics-based games.

#3 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

This game looks interesting. It impressed me the most out of any TGS titles.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#4 hotpocketninja

hotpocketninja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

How much is it??

#5 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

Sounds pretty interesting. Might get it depending on price. If it's fairly straight forward Tetris, I'll wait for it to go on sale or something.

Minor nitpick, but starting this year, aren't trophies mandatory?

#6 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Sounds pretty interesting. Might get it depending on price. If it's fairly straight forward Tetris, I'll wait for it to go on sale or something.

Minor nitpick, but starting this year, aren't trophies mandatory?

Why nitpick about a thread made last fall when trophies weren't in every game being released?

hotpocketninja - It's not out yet, so wait for the announcement.

#7 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Any word on a release window? This game looks damn interesting.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#8 dallow

dallow

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

I watched the Famitsu Wave DVD video on the JPN PSN for this, it really looks FUN!
Is this even coming here? Man I hope so.

Also, the girl in that video, is SUPER CUTE!!!

#9 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Why nitpick about a thread made last fall when trophies weren't in every game being released?

hotpocketninja - It's not out yet, so wait for the announcement.

Sorry bout that. Didn't even notice that this is from October. The low reply count tricked me.

#10 GodlyOne

GodlyOne

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

http://www.siliconer...psn-game-later/

It's being released later this month in Japan so it'll probably be released internationally the same day/ a little bit later. A puzzle game that's not called Dr. Mario or Tetris that has me interested.

godlyone.gif

#11 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

I doubt it comes out the same day since SCEA has the Spring Fever thing going on right now and that wasn't mentioned as being part of it.

#12 GodlyOne

GodlyOne

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

I doubt it comes out the same day since SCEA has the Spring Fever thing going on right now and that wasn't mentioned as being part of it.

Right, so no simultaneous release it is.
Isn't it spelt Gomibako not "Gamibako"?

godlyone.gif

#13 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

According to Joystiq, Gomibako is now available on the Asia PSN store.

#14 dallow

dallow

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

I bought the game off the Hong Kong store.
Pretty difficult game!

I managed to sneak a Rank A once, but every other time it's been Rank E or D. (the best is SSS)

There are 5 levels, and each has their own "theme" of sorts. There's also a mission mode where you have a specific goal to accomplish.
There's offline competitive multiplayer, and the trophies seems extremely daunting.
The easiest one seems to be one of those lame 'play for 24 hours' type, but the description reads "You are BAUER!"[sic] which made me laugh.

Hope it makes it to the states, if only so that someone makes a trophy guide. ;)

#15 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hey dallow, do the menus happen to be in English?

#16 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

BTW, Gomibako means "Trash can."

"Gomi" = Trash
"Bako" = Can

Consider yourself schooled! ;)

I'm looking forward to the game and some more impressions when it comes stateside.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#17 dallow

dallow

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hey dallow, do the menus happen to be in English?

Sorry I missed your question, but yes, the game is 100% English off the HK store only.
Menus, manual, everything.

BTW, Gomibako means "Trash can."

"Gomi" = Trash
"Bako" = Can

Consider yourself schooled! ;)

I'm looking forward to the game and some more impressions when it comes stateside.

I've heard that. :)
The official English name seems to be Trash Box.
I don't now if it'll make it to the states though.

#18 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Sorry I missed your question, but yes, the game is 100% English off the HK store only.
Menus, manual, everything.

That is excellent news! Thanks, dallow.

#19 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

http://blog.us.plays...n-on-earth-day/

Trash Panic was announced today on the PS Blog. No other details about when it'll be released and how much it'll cost.

#20 dallow

dallow

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

So freakin' awesome.
Now I can hope for help with this game!

#21 Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry

Witty remark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

I think I actually saw someone with the game installed (it was in their trophy list) and it was called (I think) "*someone* presents Trash Box!". I saw it when I was playing RE5 Versus and looked at one my opponent's profiles.

ZuREZ44.jpg

I pay $20 a month for my phone bill. Sign up through me and we both get $25 off our bills! That's a free month! PM me for more info if you're curious.

Wanna try League of Legends? Try it out here!: http://bit.ly/1uEevsK

#22 dallow

dallow

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hmm, I think it just says "Trash Box" on my trophy list.

#23 Sinistar

Sinistar

Bob's my uncle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

I bought the game off the Hong Kong store.
Pretty difficult game!

I managed to sneak a Rank A once, but every other time it's been Rank E or D. (the best is SSS)

There are 5 levels, and each has their own "theme" of sorts. There's also a mission mode where you have a specific goal to accomplish.
There's offline competitive multiplayer, and the trophies seems extremely daunting.
The easiest one seems to be one of those lame 'play for 24 hours' type, but the description reads "You are BAUER!"[sic] which made me laugh.

Hope it makes it to the states, if only so that someone makes a trophy guide. ;)

Is there a demo on the HK store? :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also check my GameFly Referral link here ;)

#24 dallow

dallow

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hehe, nah.

But trust me, the game is quite original and unique.
If only a bit hard! (can't be the last level :oops: )

#25 ItsMeMark

ItsMeMark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hm. Will this teach kids how to recycle? I need to suggest this to my PSN group...
N
y
o
r
o
~
n

#26 Sinistar

Sinistar

Bob's my uncle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Yeah I'll probably get this if it's $10. None of this $15 and $20 PSN price tag games I've seen lately without a demo.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also check my GameFly Referral link here ;)

#27 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:23 AM

So much for picking this up on the HK store. PSN is gonna be hotness this summer.

#28 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

http://blog.us.plays...ns-and-details/

Some details on the game are revealed, most important of which is that it'll be out late May/early June.

#29 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:30 AM

thanks for the update frisky...hope my group decides to get this.

Sure it will be one of the easier games to localize....how much dialogue/wording can it really include?!
Posted Image

#30 dallow

dallow

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

PSBlog's twitter says this game is due tomorrow.

It's pretty good, and only 5 bucks.