49 replies to this topic

#1 wildnuts02

wildnuts02

2 Real 4 U

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:30 AM

the regular price is $39.99

http://playstation.i...qnEHWccJPlcJPJn

deal ends on 11/6. pretty cool deal for those looking for a scary game for Halloween
Posted Image

#2 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:37 AM

Still wish there was a disc version in North America... one of these days, I'll get around to importing a copy.
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#3 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

Ooooo, tempting!

But I have a somewhat random question about the "Episodes":
Do they show up as separate items on your game list or are they all grouped under one "Siren: Blood Curse" icon?

I'd prefer a disc-copy (like the full English Asia version), but at this price I might consider the download.

#4 Ice2Dragon

Ice2Dragon

Cuckoo For Killing Stuff

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

Thats crap I paid 40 for em all on release day lol.

They are all downloaded in packs, but appear as one icon once all downloaded.

once the game boots up, it shows them all.

The most important question to ask is if I can kill someone with the Batrang

Just call my local bestbuy and they had no clue about a sale..

#5 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:25 AM

I wants it on Blu Ray Disc instead download version. I really like the game put no go for me unless they release on the Disc.
"Evil is Funs"

#6 argyle

argyle

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

Thats crap I paid 40 for em all on release day lol.

I like the fact that Sony actually reguarly runs sales on their dlc (unlike another big company....). That way if it's something I really want I can get it day 1 (like Wipeout HD), and if it's something I can wait on I'll often get a reduced price offered later on (like this....for $30 I'll bite :) ).
Posted Image

#7 artego

artego

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:28 AM

I'm waiting for the JP disc version to drop around this price.

#8 fatez

fatez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

hmmm... i got the disc version before this, i am wondering if i should get this now that it's a bit cheaper and i would be able to share it with a few friends.

#9 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

Yep, I'm holding out on a drop for the JPN version

#10 Slodaddy

Slodaddy

Professional Cyborg Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

Is the import version import-friendly (read: in Engrish)?

card.png

"I think, therefore I game"

--Sir Jon

#11 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:11 AM

asian ver is in english with text and all while japanese is not, overall a pretty I think medicore horror game

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#12 mhnajjar

mhnajjar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

I have the Asian version which has full English.

The game itself is nice but not much of its genre.

#13 eselv73

eselv73

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

whats with everyone against digital distribution? i guess it'll catch on with consoles like steam did for pcs a few years ago

#14 jug_head_4ever

jug_head_4ever

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

Do they add tax to $29.99 when you pay for it online.
Also I can pay using the PSN card available at Blockbuster...right?

#15 SDC

SDC

OMFG PINKU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

jug_head: You can pay with a PSN card, yeah. And I'm pretty sure they do not add tax.

#16 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

I didn't really like the first game, but I played through it. I would get this at $20.

I like the fact that Sony actually reguarly runs sales on their dlc (unlike another big company....). That way if it's something I really want I can get it day 1 (like Wipeout HD), and if it's something I can wait on I'll often get a reduced price offered later on (like this....for $30 I'll bite :) ).

It's a step in the right direction, but DLC has yet to see consistent and permanent price cuts.

whats with everyone against digital distribution? i guess it'll catch on with consoles like steam did for pcs a few years ago

I wrote an entire post addressing your question, but I accidentally hit the wrong buttons and lost it. I will rewrite it if this became a discussion.

Edited by opportunity777, 31 October 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#17 Grinchy

Grinchy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Do they add tax to $29.99 when you pay for it online.
Also I can pay using the PSN card available at Blockbuster...right?

I think it comes down to tax laws where you live.

For me in Ohio, I have to pay tax on PSN purchases.

#18 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

I wants it on Blu Ray Disc instead download version. I really like the game put no go for me unless they release on the Disc.

Not happenin' for this Siren in the US; but they're already starting to survey people about the distribution of a sequel.

#19 VidgamesgivemeA_D_D

VidgamesgivemeA_D_D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

Do these episodes include Siren 1 and 2, the games that came out for PS2? I downloaded and played the demo and liked it from what I played.

#20 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

This is great. People who don't like Digital Distribution of games needs to get over it. It is where we are going with games.

#21 argyle

argyle

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

It's a step in the right direction, but DLC has yet to see consistent and permanent price cuts.

Not true - Sony recently bundled some earlier dlc games w/ their add-ons (Super Stardust is the one I remember, but there were others) and priced the bundles lower than what it would cost to buy them separately.
Posted Image

#22 UjnHunter

UjnHunter

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

No this is a different game, not the original PS2 games... and the Japanese Blu-Ray is in Japanese while the Asian Blu-Ray is in English...
-Ujn Hunter
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
PS3: Dead Or Alive 5
PSP Vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Wii U: Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
iOS: After Burner Climax

#23 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Not true - Sony recently bundled some earlier dlc games w/ their add-ons (Super Stardust is the one I remember, but there were others) and priced the bundles lower than what it would cost to buy them separately.

I'm not working today, so I have time.

Currently, most of the DL systems are in their infancy (except XBLA). The three companies took small steps to make changes, but I'm not really satisfied with the results.

In general, across the three platforms, what I originally wrote holds true.

I wrote consistent and permanent practice. The price cuts on DLC are not consistent. First, one point in time does not indicate consistency or trend. Secondly, most items do not follow a timely curve of price discrimination. Price cuts for unpopular or older DL games take much longer than for 'normal' titles. CoP for DL games is always much lower than normal titles. The lack of the ability to resell or trade-in DL games or content helps prices remain artificially inflated in the market. Third, bundling items lowers flexibility of buyer power. Although, it's better than no price cuts at all. Usually, I find it asinine. Price cuts are usually not permanent. The majority of price cuts seem to be for a limited time only. I'm not going to search every thread on CAG for temp price decreases on DL games, but you can find them if you want.

The fact that the content is in DL form makes the above unacceptable. In the future, I hope to see more price cuts, better content, less 'disgusting' practices (I'm looking at you Bandai Namco) and other general improvements. The whole concept of DLC and games is too large for the scope of a forum discussion.

#24 tomwaits1

tomwaits1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

jug_head: You can pay with a PSN card, yeah. And I'm pretty sure they do not add tax.

I actually get double taxed using a PSN point card. I bought a PSN card at Blockbuster and they charged sales tax. Put the code in and bought some DLC and I get taxed again during the online checkout.

I should probably complain, but I don't know if it's Blockbuster or Sony at fault.

#25 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

I'm not working today, so I have time.

Currently, most of the DL systems are in their infancy (except XBLA). The three companies took small steps to make changes, but I'm not really satisfied with the results.

In general, across the three platforms, what I originally wrote holds true.

I wrote consistent and permanent practice. The price cuts on DLC are not consistent. First, one point in time does not indicate consistency or trend. Secondly, most items do not follow a timely curve of price discrimination. Price cuts for unpopular or older DL games take much longer than for 'normal' titles. CoP for DL games is always much lower than normal titles. The lack of the ability to resell or trade-in DL games or content helps prices remain artificially inflated in the market. Third, bundling items lowers flexibility of buyer power. Although, it's better than no price cuts at all. Usually, I find it asinine. Price cuts are usually not permanent. The majority of price cuts seem to be for a limited time only. I'm not going to search every thread on CAG for temp price decreases on DL games, but you can find them if you want.

The fact that the content is in DL form makes the above unacceptable. In the future, I hope to see more price cuts, better content, less 'disgusting' practices (I'm looking at you Bandai Namco) and other general improvements. The whole concept of DLC and games is too large for the scope of a forum discussion.

I think Steam provides much of what you are looking for in terms of DLC price cuts and better content, along with consistent sales. The main problem with DLC on the consoles, is that because it's a closed platform, the platform holder has much less incentive to provide competitive pricing. Imagine if you could only buy PS3 games at Best Buy, 360 games at Circuit City, and Wii games at Target You would see a lot less competitive sales.

#26 expane

expane

Tappin out posers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

I'm done buying FULL games as DLC, not worth the hdd space+ can't ever sell it etc... I have warhawk HDD version, the disc version was superiour day1
Posted Image

#27 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

The reason why game prices drop in stores is because both the retailer and publisher they have capital invested in both the physical item as well the limited selling space to sell items, resulting in an incentive for both parties to lower prices to unload a slower moving items.

With DLC, neither one of these factors is in play. It isn't a law of nature that prices have to drop over time on games (they don't on other media such as paperback books nor do criterion DVDs fall in price over time). There are plenty of things to grumble about DLC (no resale, DRM, disk space utilization and that currently pricing doesn't account for these drawbacks), but grumbling that the prices don't fall fast enough isn't a particularly sound argument...Just because the cost of production is lower doesn't mean it will passed on the end consumer, just like a the full costs of a dud game are not assessed on the end consumer.

You might as well complain that you are not getting a cut of the revenue from the billboard ads in burnout paradise

#28 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

The reason why game prices drop in stores is because both the retailer and publisher they have capital invested in both the physical item as well the limited selling space to sell items, resulting in an incentive for both parties to lower prices to unload a slower moving items.

With DLC, neither one of these factors is in play. It isn't a law of nature that prices have to drop over time on games (they don't on other media such as paperback books nor do criterion DVDs fall in price over time). There are plenty of things to grumble about DLC (no resale, DRM, disk space utilization and that currently pricing doesn't account for these drawbacks), but grumbling that the prices don't fall fast enough isn't a particularly sound argument...Just because the cost of production is lower doesn't mean it will passed on the end consumer, just like a the full costs of a dud game are not assessed on the end consumer.

You might as well complain that you are not getting a cut of the revenue from the billboard ads in burnout paradise

I think by bringing up paperback books and DVDs, you have strayed too far away because they are "other media." It is not quite an apples and apples comparision to games, but before I have to cook dinner for three, let us address those for fun.

In general, even paperback books and DVDs will fall because of the access to the secondhand market and changes in technology (Kindle, new editions, bundles, BluRay, etc.). You actually proved my point by the first couple of factors you mentioned in your own post. I go to book stores often, and I see sales of older classics like 1984 to clear out space. I'm not even going to talk about how internet sales have effected these prices because my time is somewhat limited. Funny you mention Criterion DVDs because they follow a different model, which makes their mention completely pointless. Also, I don't believe they are immune to long-term changes in technology or re-releases.

There are some good points in there about the negatives of DLC, but you lose the fact that DLC is a digital distribution method. I will not go into every reason why price cuts should come more regularly, but I will mention a couple. After the upfront programming and 'packaging' cost, transferring code over the 'net is much cheaper than traditional distribution channels. You're statement is essentially, "Well, cost-cutting measures within the company don't necessarily pass down to the consumers." Yes, they don't always do that. But, by not passing the savings to consumers, a company will allow competitors to step in with more efficient systems and take away customers. Once consumers realize the product efficiency or number of alternatives has increased, they will demand lower prices. These outside pressures are only a few of the reasons why DLC should be cheaper, but is currently not because the systems are still in their infancy. The competition is weak.

Also, there is a depreciation model for digitally distributed content. Especially with digital products, time plays in an important role in devaluing their price. Again, I cannot go into complete detail or mention every point. A couple of reasons is because reproduction and maintenance is cheaper than tangible goods. As space and bandwidth increase, the cost of maintaining the code becomes even smaller because the size of the original code becomes inconsequential due to new vast resources.

The scope of this discussion is too large for a forum. But, I already said that. :-P

I believe you neglected various factors at play which have overrun the 'traditional' factors you mentioned in your first couple of lines. There is no way for me to address or elaborate on every issue or point. I need evidence, citation, more research, clarification, more writing space and other details. I'm simply addressing your post because I feel like you're calling me an idiot. We can sit here on an internet forum and poke holes all over the place. For tonight, I can no longer do any more E-Dick jousting with you. I need to go make some homemade pizzas. :-P

[sp. grammar, communication barriers, lack of emoticons, lack of clarification, etc.]

#29 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

Yawn...if you think someone pointing out another viewpoint automatically makes you an idiot...you've got issues... but suggesting that my comment was "e-dick jousting" just clearly points that you are an idiot not worth anyone's attention or consideration

And wow, I made my point in just two lines without getting all narcissistic as well.

#30 xbox_mole

xbox_mole

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

I actually get double taxed using a PSN point card. I bought a PSN card at Blockbuster and they charged sales tax. Put the code in and bought some DLC and I get taxed again during the online checkout.

I should probably complain, but I don't know if it's Blockbuster or Sony at fault.

Depends on your state. Blockbuster charged me sales tax on the PSN card, but according to my state it is a giftcard and giftcards are NON-TAXABLE in my state. You can only be charged sales tax when you use giftcards. I'm currently in a battle with Blockbuster and I've given them until Tuesday for someone to respond to me. If they don't give me a response I'm filing an official fraudulent business practices complaint with my state's revenue office.