Photo
- - - - -

VHS -> Computer -> DVD?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

For christmas (and out of sheer concern for my VHS tapes deteriorating) I would like to transfer all my family VHS tapes to DVD (around 20 tapes 1-2 hours each...) is there a fast and reliable way to do this?

At my local costco they have a service that does it for you, but they want to charge 20 bucks per VHS and it'll take over a month to do. And I'm pretty sure I could do it myself.

I've got the knowledge of getting a video off my PC on a DVD (and I've made some DVD's with menus before) but I lack the understanding on how to get a VHS to a computer... I've looked online, but I could not find a device that achieves this quickly, seems like there would be something that quickly goes through the VHS copying it onto a computer (also; does anyone know the average size of a VHS video? say 90 minutes)

Is there something I could purchase at Best Buy that would allow quick transfer? (I could always return it :roll:)
Thanks for any help!
-DNB
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#2 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

You can use a capture card for your PC.

If your VHS player has S-Video out, find one that has S-Video in.

If not, use RCA out, RCA in on the capture card.

Avoid using Coax.

The process will vary depending on which capture card you purchase, but basically, you'll want to set the recording quality as high as you can while not completely filling up your HDD. Once you set up your card correctly, you just let it do its thing. It will produce an .avi file (or whatever you set it to) that you can then burn to DVD.

You'll have to know about your computer as well as to whether or not it'll be fast enough/has the right slot etc., so hopefully you're familiar with your PC.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

You could always try a DVD/VHS recorder, like this Toshiba model. After copying the VHS contents to a DVD, you can rip the DVD to your computer.

A bit more convoluted as far as getting the file to your computer, but you could probably find a model at Best Buy or Circuit City.

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=userbar2kk9.jpgPosted Image
Playing:
:pc: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Team Fortress 2

#4 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

While those machines offer higher quality than your typical capture card, they are more expensive and often have copyright protection on them. This isn't a problem if you intend to use it solely for copying your home videos, but if you ever wanted to convert your VHS movie collection to DVD, you might not be able to.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

You can use a capture card for your PC.

If your VHS player has S-Video out, find one that has S-Video in.

If not, use RCA out, RCA in on the capture card.

Avoid using Coax.

The process will vary depending on which capture card you purchase, but basically, you'll want to set the recording quality as high as you can while not completely filling up your HDD. Once you set up your card correctly, you just let it do its thing. It will produce an .avi file (or whatever you set it to) that you can then burn to DVD.

You'll have to know about your computer as well as to whether or not it'll be fast enough/has the right slot etc., so hopefully you're familiar with your PC.

Ah interesting. So that means the VHS files are generally big? My video card has an S video input, is that useable?

#6 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

If you're sure its an input and not an output, wouldn't hurt to try. But most video cards have s-video out so I'm guessing thats what you have.

A VHS file size will depend on your settings for capturing it. If you set the resolution to some ridiculous size and no extra compression, your 1-2 hour films could be several gigs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

I found a device at Bed-Bath-Beyond, it copies your VHS' straight to your computer... I'm going to give it a shot! Thanks for the tips!

#8 LilPaintballer

LilPaintballer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

just get a pvr or tv tuner for your computer

#9 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

I found a device at Bed-Bath-Beyond, it copies your VHS' straight to your computer... I'm going to give it a shot! Thanks for the tips!

haha awesome, but I would've never guessed that Bed-Bath-Beyond sells it.

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=userbar2kk9.jpgPosted Image
Playing:
:pc: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Team Fortress 2

#10 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

My DVD Drive sucks crap (doesnt even open anymore...)...

Could someone please, please recommend me a GOOD DVD (burner/drive) that is under 30 bucks?

#11 hero101

hero101

FC3 US Navy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

My DVD Drive sucks crap (doesnt even open anymore...)...

Could someone please, please recommend me a GOOD DVD (burner/drive) that is under 30 bucks?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106263
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827118011

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScSXpY5F5ebi67djEcxLCh1LppgIsL6HFBGB39XzHLrv9fkTY&t=1&usg=__rTGLWWIDKzzePxIYpFQItriY4JM=Posted Image