Photo
- - - - -

Hey Wombat

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Salami Inferno

Salami Inferno

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

Remember how you said you would love to have a job where you just told gaming companies what they were doing wrong? Tell your company that buying 1up and hollowing it out so that everything that made that place worth visiting is gone is a bad decision. There's a reason they had a large readership, and it was the people that worked there, not the name.

#2 maggoty

maggoty

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I don't know if one of UGO's freelancers would have any impact on the big wigs that decide how to spend the big bucks, but yeah.. i guess he could try and give it a shot, although those guys that have already been laid off, probably wouldn't come back now anyway.

#3 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Yeah it would be a good idea but the only people that decide where that money goes are the dudes who have it...butt loads of it

1xz7eo.gif

#4 padumavati

padumavati

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

Too bad they cut loose all their freelance writers in addition to purging half of 1Up. The videogame industry has always been volatile, but with the recession it's just going to get worse, and I think this is just the primer. Good thing Wombat didn't quit his day job - I wish I could say the same for the guys who used to be at 1Up. :(

#5 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hey Wombat , I saw a combo disc DVD of Silverado/The Quick And The Dead for $6.00 at Kroger .

card.pngl1.gif

#6 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:57 AM

Well, as Wombat mentioned in the latest CAGcast, he is no longer employed by UGO.

#7 peteyrose

peteyrose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Remember how you said you would love to have a job where you just told gaming companies what they were doing wrong? Tell your company that buying 1up and hollowing it out so that everything that made that place worth visiting is gone is a bad decision. There's a reason they had a large readership, and it was the people that worked there, not the name.

Don't blame UGO, blame Ziff. Ziff Davis was the company that actually did all the firing. UGO gave a group of people jobs who would otherwise now be unemployed. Go read Sam Kennedy's 1up blog if you don't believe me.

#8 ChiefsFan21

ChiefsFan21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Well, Wombat got fired. So, no.
Posted Image

#9 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

haha un needed bump :]

1xz7eo.gif

#10 Salami Inferno

Salami Inferno

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I wrote this before we found out that wombat got fired too, so my bad.