Chance of Netflix on Wii....

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 SnorE

SnorE

ZzZzZzZzZzZz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

Soo I was wondering if this would ever happen or even be possible? Since netflix now can stream to 360, computers, some blue ray players and the roku box.

Just want to hear some peoples views on this....
Posted Image

#2 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

Ever watch a video on The Nintendo Channel?
No thanks.

I will gladly watch this on my Xbox.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#3 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

#4 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

I suppose it's possible. PlayOn is somehow adding Wii support. But I would rather it come to the PS3 instead.

#5 miktau

miktau

Carpal'/Tunnel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Wii couldnt handle netflix

Posted Image

#6 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

A Wii would need some kind of storage device, wouldn't it? Something a little more substantial than an SD card, I would imagine.

Plus, it's probably safe to assume that Xbox has an exclusivity agreement with Netflix.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#7 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Well you could... if you choose to use "streaming" as slang for mailing and a firmware update enabled DVD playback :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Streaming wouldn't require a storage device, would it? That's the point - your streaming it, not storing it. Anyway, I would like this feature if it were added because we don't have a 360 (nor PS3). Of course there'd be no HD, but it would still be nice to have.

#9 homeland

homeland

woman wooh man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

Well you could... if you choose to use "streaming" as slang for mailing and a firmware update enabled DVD playback :lol:

Don't forget that for every dvd you have to enter a 12 digit code.

#10 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Don't forget that for every dvd you have to enter a 12 digit code.

ba ZING!
Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#11 Spoon_si

Spoon_si

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:37 AM

I think we will hear news on Wii HD this E3.. HDD is a must for Wii HD imo.. steaming video is the next wave..
Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=213284
Updated: 02-03-09

Posted Image

#12 smarkbran

smarkbran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

Maybe one day.... It would have been a nice selling point for more hardcore audience. I just sold mine recently maybe this and some actual games that I can enjoy would bring me back.

Visit UltraMegaCyborg.com for the latest Gaming and Entertainment News/Reviews and of course: CONTESTS!

Who is Ultra Mega Cyborg:

#13 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

Wii 2.0 will
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#14 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:17 AM

I think we will hear news on Wii HD this E3.. HDD is a must for Wii HD imo.. steaming video is the next wave..

Why would they announce a new Wii at E3 when they can't make enough of the current one?
Posted Image

#15 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

No.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

hahahahahahahahaha

no

#17 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Streaming wouldn't require a storage device, would it? That's the point - your streaming it, not storing it. Anyway, I would like this feature if it were added because we don't have a 360 (nor PS3). Of course there'd be no HD, but it would still be nice to have.

Try any streaming video site on the Wii browser. It'll freeze and buzz.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:41 AM

There isnt enough duct tape in the world for this to happen.

#19 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

I wouldn't say that it is impossible. Crazier stuff has happened and developers inevitably manage to do a lot more with hardware then ever expected. However, I'm thinking it's unlikely Nintendo would do it because their Netflix support would inevitably be compared to the 360's, and of course the Wii's would come up short in any such comparison given the lack of HD video. It would, thus, probably end up more of a liability then a positive. So... aside from any technical issues in trying to pull it off, I doubt it would be a good business move even if they could. Better to focus on other areas.

Crunchewy.png

#20 tiredfornow

tiredfornow

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

Ahahahaha. No.

#21 naes

naes

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

100% chance of it
Spoiler
happening.

Posted Image

#22 VioletArrows

VioletArrows

La Bella Fleche

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Nintendo is working on their own proprietary entertainment streaming service full of family titles (probably going to be 90% Pokemon). They don't need Netflix's help. *snort*
Currently playing: ....*shrug*

#23 Spoon_si

Spoon_si

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

Why would they announce a new Wii at E3 when they can't make enough of the current one?

Why did Nintendo revised the DS in japan? when it's already selling like hot cakes...

It keeps the money flowing... & the wii mania won't stop..

Wii HD is rumor for 2010 or 11'

who's to say we won't hear any tad bits on the Wii HD to hit japan earily..

my guess it's just a upgrade like GBA -to- GBA SP...

saying it will play all old Wii games & new, but upconvert the older games visual to 1080P visual. and new games will play on the old system vice-versa.

plus a HDD & HDMI will be added... it's my guess... it's not a completly new console, just revised... thats my opinion.
Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=213284
Updated: 02-03-09

Posted Image

#24 ma

ma

Rattled By The Rush

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:35 AM

Soo I was wondering if this would ever happen or even be possible? Since netflix now can stream to 360, computers, some blue ray players and the roku box.

Just want to hear some peoples views on this....

Believe it or not, the chance that it will be possible is fairly high, although it will require a 3rd party solution. I use MediaMall's PlayOn software to stream Netflix to my PS3 and modded xbox. It works great, although I've had a few wrinkles since netflix switched over to Silverlight.

MediaMall is trying to add support for Wii into a future release, although they aren't guaranteeing it. Basically, they will transcode the Netflix stream into Flash 7, so the Wii browser can play it.

I haven't had very good luck getting stuff like TVersity to work with the Wii, so I don't know how good the performance will be. But it's definitely possible, since the browser can stream flash.

#25 Artie Lange

Artie Lange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

Nintendo wouldn't even pay the $0.15 licsensing fee to add DVD playback to the Wii, you think they'd partner with Netflix, lol.

#26 Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

You could always...you know, use Netflix normally.

Posted Image

#27 tsmvengy

tsmvengy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Nintendo wouldn't even pay the $0.15 licsensing fee to add DVD playback to the Wii, you think they'd partner with Netflix, lol.

Actually I'm pretty sure the DVD license now requires that your player be able to output 5.1 surround sound. Since the Wii can't do that it never could have gotten the DVD license in the first place.

But yeah, netflix on wii? There's that little problem of storage... There's no way it'll ever happen.
Currently Playing:
:wii: Trauma Center: Second Opinion
:gc: Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
:gba: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

#28 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

Why did Nintendo revised the DS in japan? when it's already selling like hot cakes...

It keeps the money flowing... & the wii mania won't stop..

Wii HD is rumor for 2010 or 11'

who's to say we won't hear any tad bits on the Wii HD to hit japan earily..

my guess it's just a upgrade like GBA -to- GBA SP...

saying it will play all old Wii games & new, but upconvert the older games visual to 1080P visual. and new games will play on the old system vice-versa.

plus a HDD & HDMI will be added... it's my guess... it's not a completly new console, just revised... thats my opinion.

The PSP seemed to be gaining a little bit of ground last year in Japan. I could be wrong, but it seemed like the DSi was introduced to stop that from happening by including some of the PSP features in a DS.

I suppose something like that could happen with the Wii and Nintendo could release a HD Wii, but I don't see it happen (though who knows, I could be wrong). It seems like an HD Wii would really only appeal to hardcore gamers and hardcore AV people and I doubt Nintendo would release a system just for them.

Depending on how (and if) the next Nintendo console does backwards compatibility I suppose it's possible that it could upscale Gamecube and Wii games.
Posted Image

#29 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

When I tried watching long flash videos on my Wii it didn't have enough memory to load it so I don't think so.

Posted Image

#30 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I think much more likely then an HDD Wii is a Wii with more internal flash memory. 2 GB or some such. That seems like a no-brainer and it would make people happy. Having an internal HDD might mean incompatibilities. Not sure about that, but I would think there would be issues that wouldn't be present with a simple increase in the internal flash memory storage. With larger internal flash you wouldn't have such issues, and you'd be able to install more WiiWare and VC games, and that's a win for everybody, especially Nintendo, as they'd undoubtedly sell more WiiWare and VC games as a result.

Crunchewy.png