FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

http://www.mawgame.com/

Posted Image

http://www.gametrail...ayer/39672.html

Info:

The Maw is a full featured 3D action/adventure game for Xbox LIVE Arcade! Returning from a routine mission, a Galactic Bounty Hunter ship crash lands on a strage planet, leaving the captured Frank (our hero) and a tiny glowing blob in a cage labeled "THE DEADLIEST ORGANISM IN THE UNIVERSE" (known as Maw) as the only survivors. Aware of the risks, but concerned about traveling around alone, Frank hooks the strange blob to a plasma leash from the wreckage. Making their way towards the communication tower in the distance, they must escape from the bounty hunters out to cage them, as well as the unknown dangers of the new planet they are on...

Twisted Pixel Games, working in conjunction with the Galactic Council, mistakenly let The Maw escape from his quarantine early Monday afternoon. Scientists predict the destruction of all life in the galaxy "probably by next Wednesday." Twisted Pixel's CEO Michael Wilford responds: "Real sorry about that. That's totally my bad." Twisted Pixel refused further questions, instead announcing the award-winning game's release date, price point, and website location. The Maw is the company's first original IP, a product of monumental effort by a passionate and loving team, and also their first venture into galacticide.

Release Date
The Maw is coming on January 21st to Xbox LIVEĀ® Arcade. The game will be localized for a wide range of languages, including English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese. Pleas for help in any of these languages have all gone ignored by this one-eyed purple beast of the apocalypse, currently measuring the size of a basketball.

Price Point
The Maw will be available for 800 Microsoft Points ($10 USD). "We set out from the very beginning to create the most content-rich and impressive game that we could for ten bucks and 150 megabytes," said CCO and Director Josh Bear. "There are over 900 animations, 1000 sound effects, 25 music tracks, 200 visual effects, and 150 models, making this an incredible value for your $10… in the time that we have left." Bear then wept bitterly.

2GB == 150MB

The Maw will weigh in at a slender 150MB due to the superpowers of Granny 3D and its stupefying 85:1 compression ratio for animation data. Without it, The Maw would require more than 2GB of space, a size more attributable to retail titles. "I don't think we could have done it without Granny," says CTO Frank Wilson. "The simplicity of integrating the technology into our engine, the artist-friendly tools, and the brilliance of their compression algorithms are unbeatable."

Unlockable Free Premium Theme

The Maw will offer the rare opportunity for players to win a free premium theme as an in-game unlockable. The only way to get the theme (and free gamerpics too) is to play The Maw and find them.

Website

www.WhatIsTheMaw.com has officially launched today, featuring additional information about the game, downloadable wallpapers, and more. The site was created by SBS Studios, a web design firm with a focus on the website needs of game development companies.

Got an email just now about this game coming out next week for 800 points. I'm not so sure about the press release putting all of the value of the game in the graphics instead of the gameplay, but I'll give the demo a show next week.

#2 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

That looks kind of neat.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#3 newantt

newantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Ah, yeah...Ill try the demo too...
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Bretters

Bretters

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Video sold me, we'll see how it plays though.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Bretters360"]Posted Image[/URL]

#5 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. Will demo, of course.

Posted Image

#6 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

I think it got a lousy review in the new OXM, but I better go home and check to make sure.

decker%2001.jpg

#7 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Oh Fuck yes. Been looking forward to this since I saw gameplay videos back in the summer. It seems like to have the style of 3-D platformers from generations past, which of course is almost a good thing. More than likely buying this next week; I was getting worried about my MSPoints expiring from the DreamCar contest before this came out, so I'm happy :)

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#8 deszaras

deszaras

Wait...what?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

That looks pretty sweet. I can't wait to try the demo.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Looks interesting, might give it a go for 800 points.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#10 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying the demo.
Posted Image

#11 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

It looks like a kid-friendly God of War-type game. Neat.

#12 MasterSprtn117

MasterSprtn117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

Oh wow. Looks awesome for an arcade game!

#13 D4rkewolfe

D4rkewolfe

Henshin a Gomu-Gomu Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

I do remember seeing this somewhere too. Oh yeah, I think it was one of the top indie games at PAX. Seemed very interesting that's for sure.

#14 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

Looks great, like the price also. Have to try the demo but most likely will purchase this.

#15 macjz212

macjz212

Carnivorous One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

This game looks awesome! Plus it has in-game unlockable premium theme and gamer pics....more for the money baby.

Just remember, swords don't kill people, anime fans that think a 50-hit combo is the only way to end confrontation, kill people.

:lol:Take surveys, make money
http://www.cashcrate.com/1354408
Posted Image

#16 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:59 AM

And here I was thinking they made an XBLA game out of the last level of Halo 1. I feel a little disappointed.

#17 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

i bit after playing the demo.
pretty solid game. the mechanics are solid, the art design is good. graphics are nice.
the sound is far above par for an xbla game.
not sure how long it is but after 30 minutes of play time it seems worth the 800 pts. seems like something id expect them to charge more for.

for those playing the demo, if you unlock the game after it ends you continue playing.
there are small additions to the mechanics as you play on so expect more depth in that regard.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#18 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

IGN gave it an 8.

#19 Bretters

Bretters

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

I bit. I unlocked the full version from within the game and it just unpaused the game and let me continue, and also gave me the achievement I had earned in the trial. :D
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Bretters360"]Posted Image[/URL]

#20 LegendK1ll3r

LegendK1ll3r

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

This is only the second or third game to ever make me have to purchase it after the trial was over. The other two contenders, CC and A Kingdom for Keflings.

This isn't counting stuff I instantly bought without regard, such as Castlevania, BC:R, Duke Nukem 3D, ect.

Very fun game so far, very well done. Great graphics and gameplay so-far, and I look forward to finishing this game up.

Posted Image

#21 Sharp Katana

Sharp Katana

Chillin like a villain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

Looks okay, going to play the demo first.

9unm.png

credits to Lilchiji

#22 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

I went ahead and bought it as well. Nice demo and my daughter didn't want me to stop playing yet. What choice did I have? ;)

decker%2001.jpg

#23 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:11 AM

I bought it as well. I really like it.

Uh I tried articulating my thoughts on why I like it, but they just sounded horrible; more insightful thoughts later.

#24 gingerbob

gingerbob

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

I freakin' loved the demo, so I bought the full game! It's like a flashback to Spyro on the old PSOne! Not sure how much play I'll get out of the full thing but I played it more last night than Fallout 3!
Posted Image

#25 Whispering_Mute

Whispering_Mute

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Tried the demo yesterday and I must say I'm sold. If only I had the microsoft points to buy it.
"Right man at the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"-HL-2

"You spoony bard"-FFIV

#26 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

I deleted the demo when I got on some platform and couldn't get Maw back down. Fail.
Posted Image

#27 UltimoRey

UltimoRey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

I liked the demo, probably gonna buy, but wanna know the length of the game.
Posted Image

#28 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

I liked the demo, probably gonna buy, but wanna know the length of the game.

8 levels. If the first level is any indication, 2-3 hours total if you try to find everything there may be to find.

I purchased the game after playing the demo. I'm on level 2 now. I rarely purchase arcade games that aren't remakes/ports or continuations of old franchises like Mega Man 9 was, but I like this one so far.

155toba.gif2i6pefo.gif675n9f.gifhsl3pl.gif

#29 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

8 levels. If the first level is any indication, 2-3 hours total if you try to find everything there may be to find.

I purchased the game after playing the demo. I'm on level 2 now. I rarely purchase arcade games that aren't remakes/ports or continuations of old franchises like Mega Man 9 was, but I like this one so far.

I would say more about 5-6 hours in the length department. Its taken me about 3 and a half hours to get through the first 5 levels but then again, I've also been tracking down everything to eat
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#30 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

I downloaded/played the demo it seems pretty cool but not really a purchase for me. I'll check gamerankings and see whats its clocking on there.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie