CAGcast #147: The Airing of the Grievances

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

Lots of stuff on the agenda today including NPD talk, PS3 marketing, the latest shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

Get a free trial of Netflix and support the CAGcast:
www.netflix.com/cagcast

Download - 94 minutes, 46MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos & Video:

-

Edited by CheapyD, 21 January 2009 - 06:16 AM.

#2 Slayzz

Slayzz

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

Can't wait to listen to this!
"the key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering"

#3 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

Whoa early episode :]

1xz7eo.gif

#4 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:38 AM

It's nice to have the show up the same day , thanks Cheapy .

Also how do I post a pic that magnifies like yours does in the OP ?
Does it have to originate from flickr ?

card.pngl1.gif

#5 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

It's nice to have the show up the same day , thanks Cheapy .

Also how do I post a pic that magnifies like yours does in the OP ?
Does it have to originate from flickr ?

Forum menu
Quick Links -> Pictures & Albums

#6 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Cool, listening to a little before I go to bed. First day of the second semester tomorrow.

#7 Chris_GTR1

Chris_GTR1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

awesome! another 90 minutes of cheapy talking about how great the 360 is!yay!

im kidding btw.

#8 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:02 AM

Forum menu
Quick Links -> Pictures & Albums

I'm still all CAG 1.0 and shit .

Thanks .

card.pngl1.gif

#9 krazy14kraz

krazy14kraz

www.thatgamingsite.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Wow, Cheapy you look like you've seen a ghost in the picture of you and Wombat's card.

#10 pLa

pLa

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

fabulous! that makes my day.

#11 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

Yay, what a surprise! And i'm listening on the day it was recorded! How exciting! How much was in the card Wombat?!
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#12 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

"I liked Cashback. There's lots of titties in it. A lot of titties. British titties."

Fantastic.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:14 AM

The title of this episode should of been called "Wombat knows his shit when it comes to marketing" because the whole time he hit the nail on the head.

Also, enough with these name drops. You must of name dropped that you knew so and so about 10 times this episode.

Edited by thorbahn3, 21 January 2009 - 09:06 AM.

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#14 weevles

weevles

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanks cheapy and wombat.

#15 XBL Dishwasher

XBL Dishwasher

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

I can not believe wombat actually thinks 360 sales #s would include repaired systems. I see people arguing this a lot in forums and comments and wonder how someone could be so clueless. Hearing that come from wombat makes me think he might be just as clueless..

#16 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

I can not believe wombat actually thinks 360 sales #s would include repaired systems. I see people arguing this a lot in forums and comments and wonder how someone could be so clueless. Hearing that come from wombat makes me think he might be just as clueless..

I think Wombat might've been implying the number of users that bought a second 360 because the cost of repairs on their current 360 was not worth it, even though he seemed confused.

I think Wombat is right about Sony's marketing over the past few years. Usually Sony has weird advertising methods, but lately they have just been bad. However, I do not think their advertising is as bad as Nintendo's when it comes to their core titles (And the lack of advertising for them as well), especially Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. This is how bad it was:

Also, what do you think would be better for Sony? A price cut for a single game (Killzone 2) in the Spring or a price cut in the Fall for 3-4 games (Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank 2, and possibly God of War III)?

Edited by KingBroly, 21 January 2009 - 08:50 AM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#17 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

Regarding Wombat calling the sale on 12 month cards a pre-emptive strike on PS3's potential price drop:

I believe this to be correct. After a chat with our Sony rep, it was revealed that the Uncharted bundle is already out of production. Sony's only pumping out the 80gb bundle right now, any stock left at this point is just leftovers. I think that Sony will drop the price to $299 for the 80gb and make a bundle, perhaps with LittleBigPlanet or Motorstorm: Pacific Rift (M: PR is more likely), an extra DS3 controller, and a voucher for Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty or Flower (R&C is more likely). That would launch for $399.

I also think that a new $29.99 Greatest Hits lineup will launch alongside the price drop, and, coincidentally, most of the games that I think will drop down are ones that I have noticed aren't being sent to my store any more: Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Socom (Game only) and Folklore. I also think Dual Shock 3 controllers will drop to $39.99.

That's my prediction. I'd be willing to lay a little bit of money on one or both of these things coming true.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Sokkratez

Sokkratez

Downloadable Suicide

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

Sales are bad. Make sales good. Done.

Man, console sales discussions are so pointless. Not that a dicussion really happened... was mostly one guy talking in circles for 10 minutes.
Posted Image

#19 Guest_The Creeper Kamikaze_*

Guest_The Creeper Kamikaze_*

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

CheapyD - I can not believe you of all people would judge GameTZ as a whole by the actions of one user. GTZ is not afraid of CAG, not one bit. The images you've seen of yourself with your head cut off and being dressed as Hitler are a joke perpetuated by a user that calls himself monkbonk in response to the Forbes article.

If it's really that offensive to you, there is nothing stopping you from contacting the site owner and letting him know that you believe that the jokes are in bad taste. Bill would be more than willing to take the actions he deems necessary to remedy the situation. Otherwise your lack of action tells me that you don't really give a shit about what others think.

Bill used to moderate more than he used to, which alienated much of the user base and led them to start referring to the moderators as "Mod Nazis" because people were always getting restricted for the dumbest things. After a while, Bill changed it to a more of letting the inmates run the asylum approach. The moderators still do their jobs, of course, but only in the more extreme cases.

However, I do see your point. GTZ should not be attacking CAG (or any other website) in the way that they have. It is in poor taste and it doesn't help anyone out in the long run. I did send a message along to Bill to see if he can do something to remove the offensive avatars & sigs. While I would like to say that it won't happen again, there is no way for me to guarantee that it won't but understand that anything like it will be reported to the GTZ moderators and dealt with accordingly.

Edited by The Creeper Kamikaze, 21 January 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#20 untitled

untitled

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

i tried the netflix 2 week trial i was really disappointed the quality is horrible on the 360.

#21 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

Also, enough with these name drops. You must of name dropped that you knew so and so about 10 times this episode.

I shit you not when I say I don't know who you are referring to.

i tried the netflix 2 week trial i was really disappointed the quality is horrible on the 360.

No, the quality is horrible on your 360. Your internet connection probably isn't up to the task. What do you pull on www.speedtest.net?

You can get HD on some stuff if your connection is fast enough.

CheapyD - I can not believe you of all people would judge GameTZ as a whole by the actions of one user. GTZ is not afraid of CAG, not one bit. The images you've seen of yourself with your head cut off and being dressed as Hitler are a joke perpetuated by a user that calls himself monkbonk in response to the Forbes article.

I didn't write the article, so I'm not sure why his response includes me. I don't even see how GTZ is slighted in the piece, nor am I quoted talking about GTZ. I consider myself to have a pretty good sense of humor, but somehow I'm missing the joke.

If it's really that offensive to you, there is nothing stopping you from contacting the site owner and letting him know that you believe that the jokes are in bad taste. Bill would be more than willing to take the actions he deems necessary to remedy the situation. Otherwise your lack of action tells me that you don't really give a shit about what others think.

You are correct, I really don't give a shit and I am not offended. This is ongoing stuff I encounter because I put myself "out there" on the Internet. It's fine, I can handle it, I'm a grown man. I brought it up because I thought it would be entertaining and interesting to our listeners. However, I also don't think there is any question that the "jokes" are in bad taste. Do you know many jokes that reference Hitler or decapitation that are not in bad taste?

Certainly it is not my place to tell the owner what to do and I honestly do not care what his stance on moderation is. I merely mentioned what I would do if the situations were reversed.

Edited by CheapyD, 21 January 2009 - 10:35 AM.

#22 RLeav20717

RLeav20717

Trading Ban

• Trading Ban

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

CheapyD - dont forget about all the people at GTZ that got ur back ;)

#23 brento

brento

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Dude, Howard is totally irrelevant. Your not love the show.

#24 untitled

untitled

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

oh sorry cheapy i didn't know it mattered i thought even if my internet was horrible i would still get good quality it would just take longer to stream.

Posted Image

my internet is pretty bad i know :(

#25 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

no worries. Because the video streams (and is not downloaded to your hard drive), the speed of your connection is very important.

Btw:
Posted Image
;)

#26 RLeav20717

RLeav20717

Trading Ban

• Trading Ban

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

i want a 26357 download :-(

#27 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I hate to agree with Wombat so early in the new year but he is right, Howard Stern is not relevant anymore. You need mass exposure to be relevant and influential. Stern had the option to retire or $500million reasons to move to sirius. I was a fan of the Stern show for a long time and the last couple of years on terrestrial radio were pretty bad except for the infusion of some new blood Artie. In his final year the show turned into an infomercial for Sirius, and all he did was complain how he can't do his show untill he moves to satellite. Im not saying HS isn't funny or that he isn't relevant to you, but even though Jay Leno sucks wombat balls he still is more relevant to the masses than Howard. Congrats to Speed1969 for the death of his nemisis CC, you won buddy.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#28 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

I think Wombat might've been implying the number of users that bought a second 360 because the cost of repairs on their current 360 was not worth it, even though he seemed confused.

what he said

#29 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

no worries. Because the video streams (and is not downloaded to your hard drive), the speed of your connection is very important.

Btw:
Posted Image
;)

26 mb??? That tears it...im moving to japan. Though what i have is not that bad

Posted Image
Insert clever line here......

#30 NutForest

NutForest

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

That bonus picture is mirrored Cheapy !! It screws with my mind...
:cold: <3 The CAGcast and The instance <3 :hot:

Posted Image