Photo
- - - - -

[DEAD] PlayOn for $29.99 until 2/08 (Watch Hulu, Netflix and more on your PS3 or 360)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 -Syzygy-

-Syzygy-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:07 AM

Mediamall is wrapping up its beta for PlayOn so it will be on sale for 29.99 untill the end of January after which the price jumps up to 39.99

http://www.themediamall.com/playon

I copied this from their website incase you never heard of PlayOn and want to know what it does.

"If you have a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, or HP MediaSmart TV, PlayOn lets you watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, ESPN and more on your TV."
They also plan on adding the Wii to the list of devices.

Sorry Mac users, so far this is windows only.

Edited by -Syzygy-, 31 January 2009 - 05:51 AM.
Sale extended untill 2/08

#2 Doomtime

Doomtime

Victor von Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

That's actually a cool idea and I'm surprised I've never heard of it. Thanks OP.

CAGFL: (187-31)

Doomtime1.png

#3 jscme

jscme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

PlayOn is awesome. I cancelled my cable a couple of years ago and have been torrenting all my tv shows. Since I've gotten playon, I just stream most of them from hulu currently. Keep in mind, though that it is still in beta for the time being and may have a few more small bugs to be worked out. There is a free 14-day trial. Try it out for a few days before deciding to buy it.

#4 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:18 AM

Is this a one time fee, or a monthly or annual sub?

#5 blue ocarina

blue ocarina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Looks like cool software, one of the few times I regret having all macs in the household. =(

#6 -Syzygy-

-Syzygy-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

Yeah Im a PS3 owner so i was pretty excited about this product. I am surprised it has stayed under the radar. If Cheapy sees this thread he should mention it in the CAGCast so he can rack up some more dough from netflix since he only mentions 360 owners when he does his pitch :D.

I forgot to mention that there is also a free 14 day trial on this for anyone who wants to check it out. The program streams the feeds (netflix, hulu, etc) through your computer through your network to your device(PS3, Xbox 360).

#7 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

Unless I'm missing something, can't I just watch Hulu content from the PS3 browser? What advantages are there to this vs just using the browser?

#8 -Syzygy-

-Syzygy-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

Is this a one time fee, or a monthly or annual sub?

One time fee

Copied this from their site.
"Your license will be valid forever for all patches and bug fixes for the current major version of PlayOn. All functionality and feature enhancements to PlayOn will be free for existing licensed installations, unless a new major version is released, at which point a new license may be required to access newer functionality."

Edited by -Syzygy-, 26 January 2009 - 06:48 AM.

#9 djbooba

djbooba

Superficial Hitman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

Unless I'm missing something, can't I just watch Hulu content from the PS3 browser? What advantages are there to this vs just using the browser?

It is much simpler of an interface due to using the XMB menu system. Also video is displayed in widescreen if the video is capable of it, filling up your entire screen. Try the 14 day beta and see for yourself. I already bought a license.

I believe if I read everything correctly, unless there are major changes to the code, you will only pay for a license once. You may have to buy one down the road but I would bet if they do make major changes within the first year, they would honor your original license.

#10 -Syzygy-

-Syzygy-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

Ive never tried watching Hulu through the PS3 browser so Im not sure if there are any avantages to it there. You could check out the free trial to see what you think. This part might make it worth it though "Netflix,CBS, ESPN and more on your TV"

#11 djbooba

djbooba

Superficial Hitman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Watching shows like How I Met Your Mother, NCIS, and other CBS show on my TV anytime I want rocks. I know that PlayOn even has support for your Queue in Hulu so if you just add a bunch of shows to that, you can watch all your favorite shows anytime.

#12 sgaldis

sgaldis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 AM

Just saw this thread and was kinda bored, so I checked it out...pretty cool! It's neat how it's integrated into the NXE.

#13 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

I need to fiddle around with this. It works great until my 360 randomly losses the connection to my PC. Tech support says it's my Trend Micro doing it... I already added it to my list of accepted programs BUT my Trend Micro keeps asking if I wanna allow it. I say yes and not to ask again but it does anyway! Annoying!

Thanks OP for the heads up, I'm gonna get into gear and try to get this fixed. 29.99 is sure cheaper than 39.99!
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#14 ddrpower

ddrpower

MMO fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Looks like a fantastic option, I may have to try this. Not sure how scaling to resolution would work though.
Just a PC Gamer on Steam and League of Legends. Always remember: Have fun, never at the complete expense of others.

#15 VaRIABLE SoUL

VaRIABLE SoUL

I Live in Rapture

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

this sounds pretty cool. i'll give the free trial a shot :)

told my friend about this also since he has no cable and must resort to torrents for his favorite shows.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 fbTurbine

fbTurbine

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

I think Hulu looks a lot better with playOn than using the PS3 browser. I can't get the PS3 browser to go full screen and the video stutters during playback in the PS3 browser. Sometimes with playOn I'll get 1-2 second pauses on occasion during the first 1-5 minutes of play back, paticularly with NetFlix. NetFlix is wonderfull with playOn. People have said it works with NetFlix's new silverlight encodes, but I haven't switch yet.

I had a lot of problems running this on my computer using wireless G to my PS3 connected via wireless G to the same router. I moved playOn to my Windows Home Server (cheap home version of W2k3 server) which is ethernet connected and everything works great. PlayOn FAQ indicates if your computer connects wirelessly using N you should be OK, but G if both devices connecting via wifi.

Fastword and rewind suck. 10x rewind is a slide show and anything faster then 1.5x fastword can lock the whole thing up. There is an option for playOn to process the whole video whick might fix this but I haven't tried it. I think this also allows you to resume, but again I haven't tried it.

I'm not sure I'd pay $30 for just for hulu, but it was worth it for netflix. They recently sent out a survey asking about other sites like hulu to included and hint they may one day add local media serving like TVersity.

#17 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

Downloading the trial now. Hulu is great so I may have to bite considering this is a lifetime fee.

#18 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Just an FYI: the program works wonderfully! I've been a beta tester since day one, and the streaming has continually improved in stability; and now it's to the point that it streams flawlessly. I just wish Hulu would archive more stuff--it looks to me like they've started to remove a lot of the older seasons of TV programs.

Also, I have a very non-tech savvy friend, and he absolutely loves the Netflix streaming. Sure, it's not in HD, but at least you don't need a RRoD-prone 360 to enjoy your Netflix streaming, right?

#19 krumc

krumc

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Been using the trial now for a couple weeks. It works great. I will be buying this for sure. Works awesome on both my 360 and PS3.

#20 pwnthee

pwnthee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Holy crap, I thought this was some dorky Wii game or something. Glad I clicked in. Not useful for my current set up, but I'll gladly pay $40 for this (it's eventual price) after I move (and have a different/better set up).

#21 obiwayne

obiwayne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

They are also planning to add Wii capabilities in the next release also.

#22 Renaissance 2K

Renaissance 2K

*nom nom nom*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

I tried it out this morning. The video quality is much worse than it is on the 360, but it's passable, and the additional services are nice, too.

I'm curious, though... What are the chances of Sony and/or Microsoft releasing an update to block this sort of software? Microsoft probably wants users to use their own Netflix browser as an incentive to purchase a gold membership, and Sony has said that they didn't want a Netflix service similar to the 360's on the PS3.
Posted Image

#23 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

I tried it out this morning. The video quality is much worse than it is on the 360, but it's passable, and the additional services are nice, too.

I'm curious, though... What are the chances of Sony and/or Microsoft releasing an update to block this sort of software? Microsoft probably wants users to use their own Netflix browser as an incentive to purchase a gold membership, and Sony has said that they didn't want a Netflix service similar to the 360's on the PS3.

the chances are 0% . both machines support external media servers, and that is all this is.

btw,.. i want to give another thumbsup for playon.. ive been using it since november and since then it's become my main source of tv and i've cancelled my cable without a second thought

they're also talking about adding other content providers and local content streaming in future releases

#24 -HAZE-

-HAZE-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can't say enough good things about this software. It is the best $30 I've ever spent. I actually began Netflix just because of this. With the amount of stuff on Hulu and Netflix, there's always something to watch. This is a very underrated program and their customer service is top notch. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

#25 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

I can't say enough good things about this software. It is the best $30 I've ever spent. I actually began Netflix just because of this. With the amount of stuff on Hulu and Netflix, there's always something to watch. This is a very underrated program and their customer service is top notch. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Yeah, the latest release is so stable and the streaming is so smooth that I think I'm going to get Netflix now, too.

#26 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

True, but seeing as the PS3 is fee-free, I'll deal with the drop in video quality for Netflix as long as the connection continues to be smooth. If I want HD, I'll just rent a Blu-Ray video and get the best HD.

BTW, for those of you with Blu-Ray players: the flick "Wanted" looks absolutely sick on Blu-Ray.

#27 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Huh. I might have to check this out when I network my house. Doing it over Cat 6 has to give better results than wireless, right?

#28 -HAZE-

-HAZE-

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Go into your PlayOn settings and change the video quality from "Auto" to "High".

Your quality will be DVD quality.

#29 dboy81

dboy81

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Can you Remote Play this on your PSP as well?

#30 lohonda

lohonda

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Can you Remote Play this on your PSP as well?

Yes I believe you can.