Photo
- - - - -

Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:17 AM

I'm going to stop updating the OP and just let later posts do that.

Please keep all unlock ideas to yourself or on the steampowered forums. They are usually large and there is a 0% chance Valve will see them here but they DO look at them on the official forums. Prepare to be flamed though, I will show no mercy.

Edited by Hydro2Oxide, 16 March 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#2 shnizzle66

shnizzle66

New Orleans Cheap Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

I have it on 360 but I can't justify paying full price for it again for pc, as amazing as it is. Just waiting for that deal to come around...

Posted Image
http://www.getref.com/index.asp?id=SHNIZZLE66

#3 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

I have it on 360 but I can't justify paying full price for it again for pc, as amazing as it is. Just waiting for that deal to come around...

Let me start off saying I own both versions.

If you do really like the game, you would want to buy the DLC. That will cost 10 dollars, hopefully no more. Why not just get the PC version? They will likely do it in two parts, meaning at least 20 dollars.

#4 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

They still haven't updated my top four classes yet.

#5 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

I also own both versions (360 and PC). I barely touched the 360 version after I finished Portal. I bought the PC version 2 weeks ago when it was $20 on Amazon. I play this game everyday now while the 360 collects dust.. =x

-Added flag to the gamerules entity so map authors can override the HUD type being used. Allows map authors to force CTF or CP HUD to be used if they mix CTF/CP entities in the map
-Added check in CTF HUD to make sure it doesn't point at disabled capture zones when the player is carrying the flag. Allows map authors to have more than one capture zone for each team in the map

I'm kinda curious if this is going to lead to their "new" game mode that they talked about in an interview.

Scout update is coming soon. w00tz.

I still need to unlock Natasha. That might take awhile. =p
:-#

#6 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

I still need to unlock Natasha. That might take awhile. =p

This may just be me being weird but I think Natasha's slowdown is WORSE then before...

#7 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

I really adore TF2, even though my experience is with the inferior PS3 version... but I wish Valve didn't do these class updates (especially one at a time), just release new maps and gamemodes and fix exploits.

Is this the first TF2 thread in the PC section?

Edited by Shrapnellistic, 29 January 2009 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image

#8 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

This may just be me being weird but I think Natasha's slowdown is WORSE then before...

Is it? I haven't noticed any increase in Natasha heavies, so that might explain it. I actually thought it was a bit overpowering, so perhaps thats why they tweaked the slowdown? Well, at least they got the damage correct, right?

#9 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

I really adore TF2, even though my experience is with the inferior PS3 version... but I wish Valve didn't do these class updates (especially one at a time), just release new maps and gamemodes and fix exploits.

Is this the first TF2 thread in the PC section?

Like I said in the OP, I came to nerd out about the update but there was no thread!

Is it? I haven't noticed any increase in Natasha heavies, so that might explain it. I actually thought it was a bit overpowering, so perhaps thats why they tweaked the slowdown? Well, at least they got the damage correct, right?

If you read, it says "Strengthened" the slowdown effect. Seems hella weak to me.

#10 DJAD

DJAD

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

TF2/VaLVE is what got me into PC gaming to begin with.

#11 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Coolz.

Scout update soon, now I just need Spy and Sniper. All these damn assault classes getting preference : /

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

My bad, I meant to say, "Surprised this is the first TF2 thread in the PC section." I guess I jumbled my thoughts before, hope to run this game on my new laptop! Still can't stress how apathetic I am towards the class updates, I'm going to have to join those ridiculous achievement servers I hear so much about... ughh... but the bomb on the rail cart looks akin to my liking and 32 players means I can actually play the maps that were too big for the 16 player cap on PS3.

Wait! Can you join a server that doesn't allow the class updates?! That'll be awesome.

Edited by Shrapnellistic, 30 January 2009 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

#13 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

There are vanilla servers, that stress playing TF2 normally but I'm not sure if it disables class unlockables. You seem to be concerned about them as if they have a huge advantage, when in reality they're balanced pretty well.

#14 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Unlocks usually have a trade-off. They're not better so much as different.

I say usually because the needle gun unlock for the medic is 1000x better than the original.

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=userbar2kk9.jpgPosted Image
Playing:
:pc: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Team Fortress 2

#15 a_bleak_tomorrow

a_bleak_tomorrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

bought this a few weeks ago on steam for 10 bucks I'm having a blast demo man and medic seems to be my favorite so far. Who is natasha? which characterts have they updated and are the achievements hard to get?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

bought this a few weeks ago on steam for 10 bucks I'm having a blast demo man and medic seems to be my favorite so far. Who is natasha? which characterts have they updated and are the achievements hard to get?

Natasha is the unlockable minigun for the Heavy Weapons Guy, as opposed to his main girl Sasha. The achievements are hella hard on medic, pretty simple on pyro, and just right for the heavy.

As far as Natasha I have new news *Frantically goes for OP edit button*

#17 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

There are vanilla servers, that stress playing TF2 normally but I'm not sure if it disables class unlockables. You seem to be concerned about them as if they have a huge advantage, when in reality they're balanced pretty well.

Unlocks usually have a trade-off. They're not better so much as different.

I say usually because the needle gun unlock for the medic is 1000x better than the original.

I saw that MediGun's description and it does look way better. And the Heavy's mits and Natasha look better than the vanilla options (is the sandwich unlocked right away?).

Any '2 Day Pass' for TF2?

Posted Image

#18 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

I saw that MediGun's description and it does look way better. And the Heavy's mits and Natasha look better than the vanilla options (is the sandwich unlocked right away?).

Any '2 Day Pass' for TF2?

I don't think you understand the trade offs. Crits for invulnerablity (medigun). Slow-down or more damage (heavy's minigun). As for the melee unlocks, those rarely make a difference and are very situational. No one unlock overpowers its original, except maybe the needle gun unlock.

#19 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Got it, need to try a demo of this on the new laptop... 2 Day Pass anyone?

Posted Image

#20 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

Got it, need to try a demo of this on the new laptop... 2 Day Pass anyone?

When the Scout update comes out there'll be a free weekend. Regardless, unless you are a straight up Halo/Gears/CoD Mainstream only serious FPS player, you will like this game. I don't think I've met anybody who didn't love this game. It's definitely worth the 20$

#21 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

TF2 is probably my favorite online game, surpassing even TFC, UT2k4, and Desert Combat.

I think it's because TF2 makes me laugh. That's got to be it. Play it just for the freeze shots of your killer about to be pwned by an incoming crit rocket.

Playing:

#22 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Personally I think TF2 is probably one of my favorite shooters. I can play it how I feel like. For example I can go get a strategy with the team and make a very good team effort, or I can pick a scout and just run out and Fuck stuff up.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#23 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

This update is fucking awesome. Hide viewmodel, Damage spread cvar, Kritz'd snipers, SOLDIER AMMO COUNT YES BEST UPDATE EVAR

#24 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:36 AM

Stealthed spies are no longer able to pickup the intelligence. They must uncloak first

Excellent fix, even though I don't play CTF mode.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#25 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:46 AM

Excellent fix, even though I don't play CTF mode.

True dat, Spies could make it so any cap returns were impossible.

#26 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:59 AM

Fantastic update. Love how I can decrease the on-screen size of the weapons now.

Until now, I didn't know weapon damage had any sort of spread. Why would they do that in the first place?

Playing:

#27 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

Fantastic update. Love how I can decrease the on-screen size of the weapons now.

Until now, I didn't know weapon damage had any sort of spread. Why would they do that in the first place?

Pretty much any game has that. One shot will do more or less damage than the other. It's just certain weapons like the Demomans pipe and sticky launcher or the Snipers sniper rifle had damage ranges that were all over the place, this simply tightened them.

#28 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Ouch, that's quite the blow to spies on CTF. Now you'll have to blow your way through the defense to get that touch. Not liking that at all.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Ouch, that's quite the blow to spies on CTF. Now you'll have to blow your way through the defense to get that touch. Not liking that at all.

Decloak time is what, 0.5 seconds? Just sit on top of it and decloak, you'll get your tap.

#30 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

How is it a blow to spies? They just fixed it back to normal like it was before the other patch...