CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer [Limited Edition]

#2 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

I know every game has a limited addition but come on! It's a side scrolling shooter for God's sake.

#3 Mars10

Mars10

FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

That is a pretty good deal. I remember watching Play-Asia spam that game pre-order all over there site. Looks like a good time to buy.

Thanks!

#4 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Damn, hot price! but already got it from PSN w/o the goodies :(

This game is damn hard, just one trophy for me...

#5 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

comes with a soundtrack which being only 10, not too shabby.

but for the PC, only 12 levels, pretty short if only hard.

#6 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

I think I said this before, but it would be awesome if you got a discount on the PSN version or got it for free if you bought this. Has anyone played on the PC with a pad?

#7 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

I think I said this before, but it would be awesome if you got a discount on the PSN version or got it for free if you bought this. Has anyone played on the PC with a pad?

I have played the PC version with a pad. Feels like a console game.

#8 JCDenton

JCDenton

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. Some people are able to remove some of their RAM to get it to work but it never worked for me regardless of what I did. Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

Pretty poor for a paid product.

#9 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

With a name like Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer how can you go wrong?

#10 vherub

vherub

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. Some people are able to remove some of their RAM to get it to work but it never worked for me regardless of what I did. Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

thanks for the vista 64 note

#11 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

The game's really not that good, unfortunately.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#12 crewj

crewj

from peru to cebu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

yea... thanks for the heads up. i was about to buy this, but i've got vista 64. i'll just have to go with the psn version when it drops one day.

#13 PrototypeM

PrototypeM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I just bought it. I've been waiting a long time for this. I also had some affiliate earning and brought the total price down to about $5.

#14 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

I know every game has a limited addition but come on! It's a side scrolling shooter for God's sake.

While you may not care for the genre, it doesn't mean others wouldn't want a collector's edition.

Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. ... Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

Here's the response from the forums about this issue:

We confirm that SoldnerX won't run on several Vista 64 machines with 3+ GB ram. Our developers have confirmed that unfortunately this is a system problem of Windows Vista. Because the problem occurs in drivers and libraries which are part of the operating system, and not in the SoldnerX game, we see currently no possibility to fix this with a patch.

I wouldn't read that as "he's too lazy to fix it", but rather his hands are tied in this situation.

#15 jboy

jboy

redcross.org

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Anybody got a free shipping code or anything?

#16 JCDenton

JCDenton

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

What do you expect for $10 that provides a boxed copy of the game?

This game was selling for $40 for quite a while.

Here's the response from the forums about this issue:
I wouldn't read that as "he's too lazy to fix it", but rather his hands are tied in this situation.

Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it. I've installed close to 100 games on my Vista 64 system and all but a few (<5) work fine. Included in that number are around 10 2d shooters similar to Soldner X, none of which have any problems. Of the few games that don't work, none of them save Soldner X can allegedly be fixed by removing some of my RAM. Yet we are to believe that somehow, the creator of Soldner X stumbled upon a rare Vista bug that affects no other games. Sorry, but it's a bit simpler than that. We really only need to ask two questions to figure out where the problem is:

*Could* Soldner X have been coded to work with Vista64?
*Does* Soldner X work with Vista64?

If you believe the answer to question 1 is "no" then perhaps you could tell us all how Soldner X pushes the envelope in a way that no other game before has, thus that there is no way Vista64 could contain the awesome power of this relatively undemanding game. This is classic crappy software company behavior. When it's too much work to fix your product, blame hardware, drivers, or the OS.

#17 Wayne Cabana

Wayne Cabana

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

In for one. I've been very curious about this game since I saw an article in Play about a year ago. $15 with shipping for the full collectors set is enough of an incentive to bite.

If I don't like it, I'll just donate it to the game library at work. :)

#18 oscillate

oscillate

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

sucks this game wont work with 64-bit vista... I really wanted to get this. I guess PSN will have to do. Anyone have impressions on the game before I take the plunge?

#19 SDC

SDC

OMFG PINKU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

Oh god, I love LE's and artbooks and crap, but I know I'll never, ever play this....decisions decisisons

#20 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

sucks this game wont work with 64-bit vista... I really wanted to get this. I guess PSN will have to do. Anyone have impressions on the game before I take the plunge?

Very pretty shooter, but as a shmup, it is kinda meh. Not a bad game, just average.

#21 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:18 AM

Wow, I remember last year, PA was hyping this game up beyond belief. Sorta sad to see this is what it's come to.

11317.png

#22 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:27 AM

That's the price I've been waiting for.

I've been meaning to buy this ever since it came out!
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Wow, I remember last year, PA was hyping this game up beyond belief. Sorta sad to see this is what it's come to.

Unfortunately, that's what hype is mostly used for nowadays: Drumming up sales before word spreads of the actual quality of a product. Once the hype dies down sales usually drop to the floor, especially when the item is meh, faulty or (in this case) both.

I think it's a good deal, but I would only pay about $5 for it.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#24 mastermind

mastermind

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

In for one. Thanks Cheapy!
Posted Image

#25 hiamiyumi

hiamiyumi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

$10 for a game and a CD soundtrack. Good price.

#26 kl884347

kl884347

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Sounds good!

Edited by kl884347, 08 February 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#27 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it.

How many games have you programmed on a 32-bit platform and then ported to a 64-bit platform? Of those games, how many have as many lines of code as this game? If your answer is "none," then you likely don't have a grasp on the actual amount of work it can take to port the code.

It's important to realize the amount of work it takes to patch a game to another hardware platform vs. the cost of doing so. Has there ever been a company that gives you a PS3 copy of a game for free when you buy the Xbox 360 version?

#28 Jauron

Jauron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

This game was selling for $40 for quite a while.

Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it. I've installed close to 100 games on my Vista 64 system and all but a few (<5) work fine. Included in that number are around 10 2d shooters similar to Soldner X, none of which have any problems. Of the few games that don't work, none of them save Soldner X can allegedly be fixed by removing some of my RAM. Yet we are to believe that somehow, the creator of Soldner X stumbled upon a rare Vista bug that affects no other games. Sorry, but it's a bit simpler than that. We really only need to ask two questions to figure out where the problem is:

*Could* Soldner X have been coded to work with Vista64?
*Does* Soldner X work with Vista64?

If you believe the answer to question 1 is "no" then perhaps you could tell us all how Soldner X pushes the envelope in a way that no other game before has, thus that there is no way Vista64 could contain the awesome power of this relatively undemanding game. This is classic crappy software company behavior. When it's too much work to fix your product, blame hardware, drivers, or the OS.

All due respect but since their "fixes" have taken care of most peoples problems it seems more likely your system has the issue. The rest of your post is silly, one has nothing to do with the other.

#29 l337m4573rpyr0

l337m4573rpyr0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

:wall: On the crappy Vista x64 support.... Comon people, it's 2009 already!
Oh well... would've bit if not for this....
My somewhat updated collection and updated "currently playing" list: http://www.playfire.com/l337m4573rpyr0

#30 vherub

vherub

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

regarding the vista 64 3+gbs of memory problem, I wonder if there is a workaround. Vampire Masquerade had, what sounds to me, like the same problem with vista 64 and an unofficial patch was written that solved it.