Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

WBC will be here soon.
Posted Image

#2 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

yep and time to see all the rust come off these guys.

Im really interested to see how pudge showcases himself. this is his audition to play in 09. he better do good for his sake.

also interested to see how the US Team does this year. it looks pretty good with Wright,Pedroia,Jeter, and a host of others...but Domincan Rep is still awesome on paper.....I still feel like the Japanese will come up big like they did last year.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#3 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

Im really interested to see how pudge showcases himself. this is his audition to play in 09. he better do good for his sake.

also interested to see how the US Team does this year. it looks pretty good with Wright,Pedroia,Jeter, and a host of others...but Domincan Rep is still awesome on paper.....I still feel like the Japanese will come up big like they did last year.

I think that it could go a long way for some free agents, assuming that they play in it. It could really sell their value playing in the WBC.

I hope the US wins it, but I think it will probably come down to DR and Japan, with DR winning.
Posted Image

#4 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'm hoping it doesn't wear guys out like the last time.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#5 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

I think that it could go a long way for some free agents, assuming that they play in it. It could really sell their value playing in the WBC.

I hope the US wins it, but I think it will probably come down to DR and Japan, with DR winning.

same here. I hope the US takes it but the other two are loaded.

for our teams' sake me too. I dont want to go to opening day and seeing a tired Santana ,Wright,Beltran,Delgado,Reyes.....dam Minaya..the whole team is going lol.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#6 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Anyone else excited for fantasy baseball? I'm looking forward to Yahoo opening any day now :whee:

Posted Image

#7 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

They're going to work the hell out of Matsuzaka. Even their training regimen is very strenuous, and something the Sox have been trying very hard to get Matsuzaka off of. They're going to have to give him a light workload in the opening months of the season.

#8 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

Poor Dice-K doesn't DO light workloads.

Posted Image

#9 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

They're going to work the hell out of Matsuzaka. Even their training regimen is very strenuous, and something the Sox have been trying very hard to get Matsuzaka off of. They're going to have to give him a light workload in the opening months of the season.

I think that is why they got both Smoltz and Penny. I think it is going to be pretty much a 6 man rotation. Dice-K will get some benign "injury" early in the season and miss a few weeks
Posted Image

#10 blazsox

blazsox

Night Prowler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'm looking forward to the season. I try to get to one Red Sox game a year, but with me living in Buffalo I don't get many opportunities. I usually head to Toronto to watch them beat the Blue Jays but couldn't make it last season. This year my goal is to actually see a game at Fenway. Use my vacation time from work to fly to Boston for a game. Hope to catch a Red Sox - Angels matchup. Usually a good rivalry. Tickets are impossible for Yanks/Red Sox, so I won't even bother.
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
:ps3: Splinter Cell HD Trilogy
:ps3: NBA 2K13
:360: Forza Motorsport 4
Posted Image Lego City Undercover

#11 DomLando

DomLando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Mets might be interested in Pudge.....

A few players will be showcasing themselves in the WBC. Pedro will also be trying to impress but even if he plays well, he will get hurt at some point this season.

#12 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

The US lost to Mexico and Canada.... I have no faith in them. I just want the US, and Australia to lose out in the first round so Kazmir, Balfour and Howell don't have to pitch in the WBC.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#13 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

The big issue American players have is there work regiment. Players from the southern hemisphere play year round. They have what is it called, Caribbean world series going on now. They Japanese team has been practicing together for awhile. The American team gets put together during spring training.

Posted Image

#14 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

The Caribbean is not in the Southern Hemisphere. The Southern Hemisphere gets winter when we get summer. It's the people around the equator that can play year round.

I'm hoping the Dodgers just go ahead and sign Manny. They're a whole different team with him can win the West even without Penny and Lowe.

#15 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:47 AM

the dodgers could sign dunn, orland Hudson and wolf for the money manny wants. If manny caves and takes a 1 year deal or less money then what has been already offered to him, then dodger fans may see the selfish immature bitch that he is. There is no other teams interested in him. Why should the dodgers cave. No dunn is no manny ramirez, but u could get him for 2 years for a lot less money and put up solid numbers.

Posted Image

#16 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

D'Backs sign Tom Gordon for 1/500k deal.

#17 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Adam Dunn strikes out way too much for any sort of money. I'd rather have the Dodgers put up big bucks for a true hitter instead of a Dave Kingman like "slugger".

#18 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

O-Dawg as a Dodger? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Out of the teams he has mentioned, the Mets would be the least vomit inducing. I wish the Diamondbacks kept him but that is the price you pay (or rather don't) for trying to field an inexpensive team.

He does deserve to get pizzaid though.

#19 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

http://sportsillustr...oids/index.html

In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated.

Fun way to start the (pre)season for MLB...

#20 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Because more than 5% of big leaguers had tested positive in 2003, baseball instituted a mandatory random-testing program, with penalties, in '04. According to the 2007 Mitchell Report on steroid use in baseball, in September 2004, Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players' union, violated an agreement with MLB by tipping off a player (not named in the report) about an upcoming, supposedly unannounced drug test. Three major league players who spoke to SI said that Rodriguez was also tipped by Orza in early September 2004 that he would be tested later that month. Rodriguez declined to respond on Thursday when asked about the warning Orza provided him.

When Orza was asked on Friday in the union's New York City office about the tipping allegations, he told a reporter, "I'm not interested in discussing this information with you."

Ugh

Posted Image

#21 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Adam Dunn strikes out way too much for any sort of money. I'd rather have the Dodgers put up big bucks for a true hitter instead of a Dave Kingman like "slugger".

Strikeouts for a hitter are not a big deal. The fact remains he gets on base, and is a lock for 40 HRI, 100+ RBI's. Whoever signs him will get an absolute steal.

Edited by dopa345, 07 February 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#22 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

well if u don't like dunn there are other options. Abrea is an on base machine with some power and a 100 RBI guy. Jermaine dye is being offered up by the whitesox. Xavier nady and matsui are being shopped by the yanks. There ate plenty of above avg offensive players available for a fraction of the cost of manny.

Posted Image

#23 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

http://sportsillustr...oids/index.html

Fun way to start the (pre)season for MLB...

Yeah, this is what I just posted on the ESPN Yankee board about this garbage.

Ah God, I can't believe I sign on and see this crap. Personally, I'm over all the "So and so once did steroids back in...." It is completely ruining the game. In my opinion, all the positive tests from any time before there were concrete rules and punishments in place, should have been destroyed. Dragging up garbage from 6 years ago is going to do nothing but ruin the public perception of the game. No good is going to come from this.

Was it wrong that Alex allegedly did steroids in 2003? Of course! But that was a MUCH more naive MLB. The more players that we learn did steroids, the more irrelevant the argument becomes. So, in 2003, when Roger Clemens was on the Yankees (doing steroids) and he faced A-Rod on the Rangers (doing steroids) it was an even matchup no? The only reason the steroid issue needed to be brought to light was to show MLB it needed to tighten the reins and clean up the game. That has been done, and the league should be moving forward. Continuing to dig into players' pasts is just trying to cause trouble. It makes me think that the people doing this hate the sport, and are just trying to sling mud. When are we ever going to be able to move on?

#24 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

Has the game really been cleaned up? The rich players can still buy enhancement drugs, that either can't be tested for (hgh) or they can buy masking agents. The enhancement drug market is similiar to hackers. Restrictions/rules/drm can be put into place but someone will always find a way around it. I don't have a problem with what arod did in the past, I do have a issue with him being tipped off of an upcoming test by the players union. That is fucked up.

I also don't have issue with the use of steroids. IMO a large portion of MLB players where using something that is against the rules now. I also believe that players before the steroid era where using shit to alter there body in some way that is illegal now. There has been jokes about the coolers with one being normal and the other having stimulants in it.

Posted Image

#25 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

A-Fraudddddd :P

#26 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

Has the game really been cleaned up? The rich players can still buy enhancement drugs, that either can't be tested for (hgh) or they can buy masking agents. The enhancement drug market is similiar to hackers. Restrictions/rules/drm can be put into place but someone will always find a way around it. I don't have a problem with what arod did in the past, I do have a issue with him being tipped off of an upcoming test by the players union. That is fucked up.

I also don't have issue with the use of steroids. IMO a large portion of MLB players where using something that is against the rules now. I also believe that players before the steroid era where using shit to alter there body in some way that is illegal now. There has been jokes about the coolers with one being normal and the other having stimulants in it.

I totally hear where you're coming from man, but my response to that would be that at least MLB is recognizing it as an issue now. If players and drug companies are able to stay one step ahead of the testing, then what can you really do? But you have to acknowledge that the testing is taken much more seriously now than it was 5 years ago.

I hated Canseco for writing his first book, but at least it accomplished something. The Mitchell Report showed the world how serious and widespread of an issue it was. But players shouldn't have ever been named. It's ridiculous what a circus it's turned into. The media and society are passing judgment on guys for doing things before there were actual rules against doing them. Is that not unethical in itself??? I believe it's called post-facto.

Here's an example. If I drive my car down the highway at 75 MPH when the speed limit is 70 MPH, some might say it's dangerous, but it's not really outside the stretch of the law. 5 years later, the speed limit gets reduced to 55 MPH. Should I be judged as an unsafe, law breaking citizen because I USED to drive that fast BEFORE there was a law against it? That's just stupid.

The most important thing is maintaining the integrity of the testing that happens now...which would definitely include not allowing anybody to tip players off about an upcoming test. Anything in the past is just mud slinging. Anything about "undetectable PEDs" is just speculation. If we're that paranoid about our sports entertainment, why bother playing? Why bother watching? As you said, there's no guarantee that players from the 50s and 60s weren't using substances to "get an edge".

The point it's at now, it just feels like people are looking for trouble. What resolution could they possibly be seeking? I think Selig needs to step up, address the media, and let them know that enough is enough. MLB has implemented the best testing policy it can, and the past cannot be changed. Otherwise, let's just wipe out every title and every record from the past 15-20 years. That will solve everything. :roll:

#27 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

The argument that steroids weren't illegal in baseball until 2002 is a myth. They have been a banned substance in Major League Baseball since 1991, there was simply no means of enforcement until 2003. 2002 is still before the test that proved A-Rod* took steroids.

What you are arguing is that it was perfectly fine when there was little chance of being caught.

#28 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

I'd still rather have Manny because he brings a whole different dimension to a lineup compared to Abreu, Dunn, Nady, or Dye. I can't think of a single team that quakes in their boots when thinking about getting one of those guys out.

As for the steroids test, I'm not surprised Orza did what he did. If the big name players got suspended or banned, it would've been a disaster of epic porportions. It's alot harder for most of us to get really pissed off about things that happened five years ago.

Also, the speed limit analogy is broken at best. It's not like it was legal to take a little bit of steroids before and some guys went over that limit. Now, the limit is much lower and people are getting hit up for past transgressions.

A better analogy might be Prohibition. It became illegal to drink. If you drank before the law was enacted, you didn't get in trouble. You just got in trouble for the here and now. Besides, A-Rod failed his test in 03. Not only was it illegal in sports but it was illegal on the street. The bottom line is that people can hem and haw about steroids not being banned by MLB but they shouldn't have had to say anything. The federal government already put it on the controlled substances list which should have been all that was needed.

Edited by depascal22, 08 February 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#29 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

Its funny how all these guys that get caught are playing on the same teams.
The Yankees- Andy Pettite, Clemens, Giambi, A-Roid, Justice
The A's- Giambi, Canseco, Mark M
The Rangers- Rafeal Palmero, Arod, Canseco

Ryan Howard signed a 3 year $54 million dollar deal

Edited by slickkill77, 08 February 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#30 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Its funny how all these guys that get caught are playing on the same teams.
The Yankees- Andy Pettite, Clemens, Giambi, A-Roid, Justice
The A's- Giambi, Canseco, Mark M
The Rangers- Rafeal Palmero, Arod, Canseco

Well, for whatever reason, these are all the names being reported. Personally, I think every name of the 104 who tested positive should be released. It's BS to just name A-Rod and have the world rip into him as though he was the only one. I've already read a story saying the SI reporter (Selena Roberts) has no intention of releasing the other names though. Kinda makes you wonder what A-Rod did to her. Either way, it's garbage.

And now you've got some douche former strength and conditioning coach for the Rangers coming forward saying that he told the Rangers FO that A-Rod was on steroids, but they didn't listen to him. I'm just tired of how slimy this whole thing has gotten. It just seems like an easy way for people to get their 15 minutes of fame and make a quick buck.

I could call CNN and tell them that Alex and I used to do steroids together while we watched Sesame Street, and they'd give me a freaking interview. It's just sick.

And to those condemning A-Rod by saying that steroids were all around illegal in 2003...that's nice. Build a time machine and go catch the guy in 2003. If you went up to a cop and told him "Hey! Guess what. I did crack in 2003", do you think he's going to do anything? If you committed murder, that's one thing. But there's no "on-going investigation" into who's ever tried drugs in the history of life. Everything after the Mitchell report has been a complete waste of time in my opinion. It's just fodder for the media.