Photo
- - - - -

Panzer Dragoon Orta - sealed copies

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

I was wondering if sealed copies of Panzer Dragoon Orta will be worth anything.

#2 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Well i can get them at TRU for $20 right now, so i doubt it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:30 PM

He asked WILL they be worth anything. It's hard to tell, but it might be. I wouldn't be stocking up on them or anything though since they are readily available right now.

#4 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

Well, if you wait long enough just about anything becomes valuable, but you may be waiting a long ass time.

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#5 peteyrose

peteyrose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:21 AM

Invest in stocks and mutual funds. Games are horrible investments.

#6 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

Yes because only a million were made so if you don't open them for ten years you'll be rich.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#7 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:33 AM

Not really. It's bad to perhaps invest $1,000's in games, but buying a rare game on clearance is MUCH better than putting $5 into a stock, epecially after paying commissions, taxes etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden

I am jealous of you GamerDude. You are my hero.

#8 thagoat

thagoat

bundles are craptacular!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:33 AM

no. won't be worth much. anytime a million or so of something are made, it's hard for them to become scarce. maybe in twenty years it'll be worth something. MAYBE.

#9 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:39 AM

Exactly.

#10 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:44 AM

Not really. It's bad to perhaps invest $1,000's in games, but buying a rare game on clearance is MUCH better than putting $5 into a stock, epecially after paying commissions, taxes etc.

Yes but you must be sure that the game is or will be rare, with games that isn't a sure thing. Stocks have much better, although still risky obviously, growth potential.

#11 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:50 AM

Local Fry's still have many copies at $20... Anyway some games are likely to have their value increase, but with this game it is hard to tell.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#12 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:48 PM

Yes but you must be sure that the game is or will be rare, with games that isn't a sure thing. Stocks have much better, although still risky obviously, growth potential.

I disagree. Games have a MUCH higher growth potential when you get them cheap enough. Unless you get incredibly lucky, there's no way you can go buy a stock for $5 and sell it for $50 two months down the road. I've been investing for nearly 10 years...and it's never happened to me.
Quote:

#13 lordxixor101

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

No, there is no comparison. If you invested $10k in AOL back in 94, you'd be retired right now. Games don't go up nearly that much. You could have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for $50, and got $200 for it. That's 4 times your money if you waited 5 years. You can do much better in the market.

That being said, its hard to say. Even if the Xbox version does become rare, in 2 system generations, maybe it'll be part of some compilatiion. If they throw it in some Sega Smashpack 7 or something, your value will plummet like a rock.

My thought is, enjoy video games for what they are. Does having a sealed copy of the game mean anything to you? Will you enjoy having it even if it never goes up in value? If so, then get it. If not, then I wouldn't.

#14 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

[quote name='"lordxixor101"']No, there is no comparison. If you invested $10k in AOL back in 94, you'd be retired right now. Games don't go up nearly that much. You could have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for $50, and got $200 for it. That's 4 times your money if you waited 5 years. You can do much better in the market.

quote]

As I was discussing previously, if you can get a game on clearance, you can make more money than with game in a short amount of time. For instance, I bought Disgea at CC over the summer for $5 and sold it for $50. In about 3 months, I made nearly 10x in profit (discounting any fees). There is no way you can make that much money in a random stock unless you are incredibly lucky.

Also, if you invested $10,000 in AOL on this day 10 years ago, you would have about $217,000. Which, unless you have special circumstances, isn't enough to retire on.

But let's say you were lucky and bought $5 worth of AOL 10 years ago. It would now be worth about $108, which is lower than the $200 for PD.
Quote:

#15 JSweeney

JSweeney

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Bull. There have been companies in rough shape and have had share prices go down to pennies... and some of them have come back (without having to shed the outstanding shares of stock before doing so).
Expecting huge turn-over from a "rare" game that was on clearence for 5 dollars is just as much as a long shot. 9 times out of 10, I'd go with the stock. (The other 1/10 applies to games I'd actually want to play, and thus, I'd buy the game anyway.)

#16 Levizk

Levizk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

The only time it's worth investing in a game you think will be rare is when you actually want to play it. That way you're not stuck paying 100 bucks for a game you coulda had for 5 dollars before. If you don't want to play it no real point in buying it.

#17 JSweeney

JSweeney

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

As I was discussing previously, if you can get a game on clearance, you can make more money than with game in a short amount of time. For instance, I bought Disgea at CC over the summer for $5 and sold it for $50. In about 3 months, I made nearly 10x in profit (discounting any fees). There is no way you can make that much money in a random stock unless you are incredibly lucky.

1. Disgaea is not a rare game.
2. The Circuit City sale was an anomoly, and thus is not good for studying the potential of buying/selling games at a profit.

At the time, Disgaea was selling for FULL RETAIL at just about every other store that carries videogames. Buying the game for 5 dollars at CC and selling it for near retail price wasn't a savvy business decision... it was exploiting an anomoly in the system. Disgaea won't maintain that price...
you just happened to get lucky and find a game that was still new enough to maintain it's original price at an ungodly huge sale price.

Also, if you invested $10,000 in AOL on this day 10 years ago, you would have about $217,000. Which, unless you have special circumstances, isn't enough to retire on.

Are you including stock spilts, etc? I'd like to know how you came upon that figure.

But let's say you were lucky and bought $5 worth of AOL 10 years ago. It would now be worth about $108, which is lower than the $200 for PD.

I'd like for you to have found a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for 5 dollars 10 years ago. Yet again, that's another bad example.
Most copies of PDS flew off the shelves at full retail.

#18 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:04 PM

1. Disgaea is not a rare game.
2. The Circuit City sale was an anomoly, and thus is not good for studying the potential of buying/selling games at a profit.

At the time, Disgaea was selling for FULL RETAIL at just about every other store that carries videogames. Buying the game for 5 dollars at CC and selling it for near retail price wasn't a savvy business decision... it was exploiting an anomoly in the system. Disgaea won't maintain that price...
you just happened to get lucky and find a game that was still new enough to maintain it's original price at an ungodly huge sale price.

Are you including stock spilts, etc? I'd like to know how you came upon that figure.

Yes, I'm accounting for stock splits. If you don't believe, go to money.msn.com and use the ticker symbol TWX.

I'd like for you to have found a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for 5 dollars 10 years ago. Yet again, that's another bad example.
Most copies of PDS flew off the shelves at full retail.

I disagree. If that were the case, there would be many more out there. A hot product sells.

It's not a bad example. It was a special situation, as so much as AOL. You picked one of the highest returning stocks in the past centrury. The only bad thing about my example is that the game was bought at a discount. But this, in and of itself, doesn't exclude it from being a better dollar for dollar investment.

If you want to see the value in stocks in normal situations. Look at the chart of SPY which is an ETF for the S&P 500. $10,000 invested 10 years ago would be worth a little more than $29,000. Percentage-wise this failys in comparision even if you would've paid the full retail price for PD of $50.

Obviously, if you're going to invest in a random game, youll probably lose money while in the stock market you'll probably make money, because stocks typically go up in value while games, typically, go down in value.

Also, just for your information, a stock split has nothing to do with the value of the company. When a stock splits, you get more shares, but the value decreases proportionality.
Quote:

#19 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:07 PM

I guess my point is this. It's better to invest $20 into a game that you think will be valuable than into a stock or mutual fund.
Quote:

#20 Cornfedwb

Cornfedwb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

I disagree. If that were the case, there would be many more out there. A hot product sells.

It's not a bad example. It was a special situation, as so much as AOL. You picked one of the highest returning stocks in the past centrury. The only bad thing about my example is that the game was bought at a discount. But this, in and of itself, doesn't exclude it from being a better dollar for dollar investment.

If you want to see the value in stocks in normal situations. Look at the chart of SPY which is an ETF for the S&P 500. $10,000 invested 10 years ago would be worth a little more than $29,000. Percentage-wise this failys in comparision even if you would've paid the full retail price for PD of $50.

Obviously, if you're going to invest in a random game, youll probably lose money while in the stock market you'll probably make money, because stocks typically go up in value while games, typically, go down in value.

Also, just for your information, a stock split has nothing to do with the value of the company. When a stock splits, you get more shares, but the value decreases proportionality.

Wow, its probably better for you to invest in games, because you definitely don't get the stock market.

A share bought at $10 is split 4 times, that share is now worth $100, according to your logic you now have $100. Except that first share you bought at $10 is now 16 shares, so that $10 investment is worth $1,600 now. Splits matter there poncho.

#21 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:20 PM

Wow, its probably better for you to invest in games, because you definitely don't get the stock market.

A share bought at $10 is split 4 times, that share is now worth $100, according to your logic you now have $100. Except that first share you bought at $10 is now 16 shares, so that $10 investment is worth $1,600 now. Splits matter there poncho.

No, you are incorrect. For instance, PG, a major consumer products manufacturer recently split. It's stock price went from $110 to $55. However, if you had 100 shares, you would now have 200 shares. Your value would still be $11,000. Splits have NOTHING to do with stock price. It is simply a means to make the shares more marketable.

Granted, if a stock is $50 and splits 2 for 1 and then returns back to $50 from $25you will have a profit. However, the same can be said if the stock never split and went from $50 to $100, But the split itself does nothing to the value of the company or your particular portion of it.
Quote:

#22 Cornfedwb

Cornfedwb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:26 PM

Damn Gamedude, try following along here.

You said $10,000 of AOL would be worth $219,000 today. Now, its possible that's true if you ignore splits. But lets say Joe Schmoe invested that $10,000 at $100/share and bought 100 shares. Now lets say the stock split 6 times over the last 10 years. That would mean Joe has 3,200 shares now. If each share is now worth $2,190.. Joe's investment is worth $7,008,000. NOT $219,000.

#23 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

Damn Gamedude, try following along here.

You said $10,000 of AOL would be worth $219,000 today. Now, its possible that's true if you ignore splits. But lets say Joe Schmoe invested that $10,000 at $100/share and bought 100 shares. Now lets say the stock split 6 times over the last 10 years. That would mean Joe has 3,200 shares now. If each share is now worth $2,190.. Joe's investment is worth $7,008,000. NOT $219,000.

I'm not ignoring stock splits. Go to money.msn.com
Type in "TWX" to get a stock quote. Next, click charts. Then, click investment growth. Don't believe that's legit? Click on price history. In 1995, AOL was NOT trading at .47 a share UNLESS you take into account stock splits. The stock could split 1,000 times and UNLESS the price appreciates it means NOTHING.
Quote:

#24 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

damn, i was all set to post the 7 million dollar flaw in gamedudes arguement but cornfedweb beat me to it.

edit: LMAO, i guess gamedude didnt get it. OK lets say you buy 1000 shares of microsoft in 1994 at ten dollars per share, that is a $10000 dollar investment. In 1995 it goes up to $100 dollars a share, and does a 3 for 1 split: now you have 3000 shares @ $33.34 per share.

then in 1996 it shoots up to 100 again and does another split: this time a 2 for one split. so now you have 6000 shares @ 50 dollars per share(about $300,000)

in 1999 it goes up to 100 again and does another 3 for one split, so the price goes to 33.34 again, but you have 18000 shares of it. Then in the year 2000 it does another 2 for one split and goes to 100 again, so you have 36,000 thousand shares, and they are worth 33 dollars each

you would have made millions of dollars from your initial $10,000 investment in 1994. Granted, the boom of the 90s does not happen every decade, in fact, times are much more lean now,but we are recovering.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#25 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

This is such a silly "discussion" ... I think I am going to go ask my boss if he needs me to run any other simulations today there is nothing else to do :P

#26 Cornfedwb

Cornfedwb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

damn, i was all set to post the 7 million dollar flaw in gamedudes arguement but cornfedweb beat me to it.

Yes, but its better now that he still doesn't get it. This is why its good for him to have his retirement wrapped up in Suikoden IIs and Rezs.

#27 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:37 PM

Yes, but its better now that he still doesn't get it. This is why its good for him to have his retirement wrapped up in Suikoden IIs and Rezs.

The sad this is that YOU don't get it. I've been investing for nearly 10 years. I hold my Series 7 license....of which I scored a 90% on it. The average passing score is 73. However, this doesn't mean that any of my advice is approved by the SEC or NASD.

Cornfedwb, you're a smart guy, but you don't understand the stock market.
Quote:

#28 pimp tyranny

pimp tyranny

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

i've never viewed video games as investments.
Posted Image

#29 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:47 PM

yes. i tried to explain it above in more detail, but i bet he will still say it would have been better to spend that $10,000 on videogames.

the ONLY way you could even come close to that would be to buy a wharehouse full of sealed final fantasy 3 copies and keep them sealed, they are currently selling for approx $500 apiece. so that would be a $450 dollar profit on each one that you bought at $50.

actually, that would only get you a couple hundred thousand dollars(nowhere even close to the millions you could have made from investing in yahoo, or microsoft or aol back in 1994_. And that is the best possible scenario (that i know of) for the sealed video game market.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#30 GameDude

GameDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Corn, okay. I'll show you an example of a stock split. At the end of the month/early next month, Ebay is suppose to have a stock split. It's current price at this time is about $85. Before the end of Feb, it's price will be in the $40-$50s. Watch.
Quote: