The FYE Coupon Thread

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#1 fairyland

fairyland

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Please check the last page in this thread to see the newest coupon. As of May 2010, It's been about 3 months without a 40% coupon, so I had changed the title to something more appropriate than 40% off as it seem unlikely we'd ever get those coupons again.

Edited by fairyland, 19 May 2010 - 06:56 AM.
Updated title to something more appropriate.

#2 xoh96x

xoh96x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

oh! Will this work on Blu Rays????

#3 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

Yes

#4 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Oh, this is nice. I should look at getting Inuyasha for the little lady with this.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#5 jupiterjones

jupiterjones

WHAT THE CUSS!?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:54 AM

Thank you.
I do believe I'll be whipping this bad boy out soon enough.

#6 EnronLackey

EnronLackey

Fake-Rage Hater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

Awesome deal for BluRays! ^_^
BOO deal for video games! :(

#7 SakBee

SakBee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

Somebody tried this yet and did it work? I'm a little nervous showing up at my local FYE and getting rejected lol

#8 erectiontown

erectiontown

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

how is fye even in business still?

#9 chuckstaton

chuckstaton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

erectiontown: I have to disagree. FYE definitely has really decent prices if you time things right - I dare say that it's even better than Moviestop in continually offering discounts/coupons/deals.
Last month they were selling all seasons of Friends, Seinfeld, Flight Of The Conchords, and others (NEW) with a mail-in rebate that brought them down to $10 each. They did the same thing in December with the Oliver Stone collection (14 movies for a total of $10) and Hogan Knows Best (3 seasons for a total of $10).
Also - when you sign up for the backstage pass discount card, you get 10% off everything AND they give you THREE cards when you sign up. It was $25 and it CAME WITH a $15 gift card...me and two of my friends each put $8.50 in to get one (we each got one of the three discount cards), and each got a $5 gift card with it.
Use that 10% in combination with this 40% off coupon here and you're getting quite a deal.
BTW - confirmed: I've bought a bunch of things with these - they started in the beginning of February, this is the new one for March. I bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection used on blu-ray for $44. I used a ton of these coupons last month and got a lot of stuff.
Interested - everyone definitely DOES really dislike FYE. Why is that?

Edited by chuckstaton, 03 March 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#10 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

FYE is really good when u find the right exploits. For around 3 years I was only paying $5 cash for every $18.75 FYE credit. Unfortunately i posted the method on CAG and the deal was dead in days.

538822.png

#11 chuckstaton

chuckstaton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

haha that's crazy - what was the method?

#12 fairyland

fairyland

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

Interested - everyone definitely DOES really dislike FYE. Why is that?

Mostly that they charge full suggested retail on items that are generally not priced as such any where else locally. And when they do discount items, such as week one releases, often it is more expensive than anyone else's week one sale prices. I feel that they are insulting me charging prices that are fairly unreasonable on their new inventory. It's not like the video games industry where they are rarely lower than suggested retail (unless it's old and undesirable) so you have no choice but to pay those prices, so they should be a little more competitive on the prices as most of their inventory is older than the hills and way cheaper online or at other stores. I think they stay in business by catering to the rich or impulsive crowd that rarely cares what the prices are on anything and not the cheap ass consumer like myself.

The other reasons is those rebate gimmicks and paying for a discount card that is too high for what you get. Gamestop I allow as I'm getting a magazine subscription and it's cheap enough where I'll break even, but $25.00 for the "privilege" to save 10% is no motivation and I doubt I'd ever spend $250 there in a year to break even. If it was not for their used inventory and liquidated garbage inventory that sometimes go really cheap, I'd never go in there.

#13 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Yeah I'd be interested in the method too lol.

13.75 ROI kthanks.

:)

Deja vu. Sorry about that, Bezerker (I was one of the CAGs who asked about it last time). I was only able to do it once after you mentioned it, and then noticed the trade-in price went from $18.50 to $3...

There's no telling how many lurkers exploited your find, but I'm betting it was more a matter of management calling corporate to ask WTF more than a flooding of them, otherwise they'd be down to a 10cent TIV by now. $3 is still more than the average CD, everything else usually tops at $2.

I won't mention the name, but the "method" was simply buying a certain CD on Amazon for $2+shipping that had a TIV of $18.50 at FYE/Secondspin. Method makes it sound so much more mysterious than flipping.

Bezerker: did you ever realize that $18.50 was the cash TIV? You could have actually gotten $23.12 credit at FYE for each one all this time...it's only an option at B&M though, not shipping into Secondspin.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#14 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

yea i remember that. The problem is my local store refuse to take in extra copies once they have at least 1 in stock

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#15 chuckstaton

chuckstaton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

Mostly that they charge full suggested retail on items that are generally not priced as such any where else locally. And when they do discount items, such as week one releases, often it is more expensive than anyone else's week one sale prices. I feel that they are insulting me charging prices that are fairly unreasonable on their new inventory. It's not like the video games industry where they are rarely lower than suggested retail (unless it's old and undesirable) so you have no choice but to pay those prices, so they should be a little more competitive on the prices as most of their inventory is older than the hills and way cheaper online or at other stores. I think they stay in business by catering to the rich or impulsive crowd that rarely cares what the prices are on anything and not the cheap ass consumer like myself.

The other reasons is those rebate gimmicks and paying for a discount card that is too high for what you get. Gamestop I allow as I'm getting a magazine subscription and it's cheap enough where I'll break even, but $25.00 for the "privilege" to save 10% is no motivation and I doubt I'd ever spend $250 there in a year to break even. If it was not for their used inventory and liquidated garbage inventory that sometimes go really cheap, I'd never go in there.

fairyland: You have some good points there. Although I have noticed that SOME new releases are $3 or $4 dollars more than other places, I actually do find a lot of prices to be extremely comparable (especially season releases, which usually seem to be the same everywhere).
They also definitely have a problem with non-new "new" releases - unopened movies/seasons that came out a few years back - like Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons, which are always $40 at FYE.
You're absolutely right in the fact that those should be cheaper - I talked to my friend who worked there about how they should have a department at HQ that pays attention to products' prices everywhere, be able to get an average and factor that in to FYE's selling prices - he says they have one and that department just sucks ass.
But in general - I have to say not only do I enjoy going to FYE to paruse the odd deals they have (like the $3 bin, which will inexplicably have just about any non-new release at some point in time, or the aforementioned $10 season of Friends/Seinfeld), but I also think their used prices are really competitive and when you get coupons like this 40% one - they can be incredible.
Without posting too much information - I did a deal that I called "The Scam Of The Century" this Fall where I used a bunch of sales/trade-in prices in conjunction with eachother from Sept - Dec, the main hit being FYE.
I basically ended up spending a total of $412, I ended up getting 152 DVDs (good double-disc/special edition/collector's edition/etc DVDs) and 15 seasons, and then I was left with $400 in credit after that. It was really insane.
So I hear where you're coming from - the company does have faults. My opinion is basically that their used prices are good, and the deals they run on their used are great. In the "new" department, they definitely overprice stuff (they REALLY overprice older stuff), and then they have those occasional mail-ins and the $3 bin (where I got the metal-cased special edition of the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre).
I will say I find a couple of your comments odd: You DON'T like it because of those rebate gimmicks? You can't even find Seinfeld/Friends for $10 used anywhere (especially counting shipping) - "too high for what you get?" I'm trying to figure out the downside there. The money you get back is on a Visa giftcard and can be used anywhere. Missing the negatives on that.
Also - the backstage pass card seems pretty reasonable to me - especially considering that you could easily split it between three people, and that most of the time they have a promotion with it, like when I got it and got a $15 gift card. I'm surprised you know this much about different media outlets, but don't expect yourself to spend $250 a year on media (at that point the card pays for itself) - especially because FYE's used prices are all extremely comparable to any other used vendor.
One last thing - when I shop used online I always go to FYE.com because it's "spend $25 and get free shipping" and I can use the discount card there as well - and they ALWAYS run 20% off used online. On Amazon.com you can get that shipping deal only on new products. Used on Amazon will rape you because you have to spend $3-$4 a product.
Actually after all that I believe I'm more impressed with FYE's policies overall. I never sat down and thought about it really. The only negatives are the new releases (and I never really buy new) and even that has some glaring exceptions where they have great deals.
I think for used - they are better than Newbury Comics, Amazon.com, Half.com, and Moviestop, price-wise/discount/coupon-wise overall - absolutely no contest.

#16 kewlrabbit

kewlrabbit

Bringing Kewl Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

FYE's new prices pretty much suck, but their used prices can be great. I picked up 3 dvd's of Neon Genesis Evangelion for $3 each recently, not to mention their trade in values are usually pretty fair. Has anyone besides the OP printed the coupon and used it successfully yet?

#17 chuckstaton

chuckstaton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

FYE's new prices pretty much suck, but their used prices can be great. I picked up 3 dvd's of Neon Genesis Evangelion for $3 each recently, not to mention their trade in values are usually pretty fair. Has anyone besides the OP printed the coupon and used it successfully yet?

I haven't printed this one (this is a new one for the month of March) but they had the same deal last month, pretty much the same coupon (different code on it) and I used it about ten times. I'm sure this is legit.

#18 fairyland

fairyland

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

fairyland: You have some good points there. Although I have noticed that SOME new releases are $3 or $4 dollars more than other places, I actually do find a lot of prices to be extremely comparable (especially season releases, which usually seem to be the same everywhere).
They also definitely have a problem with non-new "new" releases - unopened movies/seasons that came out a few years back - like Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons, which are always $40 at FYE.
You're absolutely right in the fact that those should be cheaper - I talked to my friend who worked there about how they should have a department at HQ that pays attention to products' prices everywhere, be able to get an average and factor that in to FYE's selling prices - he says they have one and that department just sucks ass.
But in general - I have to say not only do I enjoy going to FYE to paruse the odd deals they have (like the $3 bin, which will inexplicably have just about any non-new release at some point in time, or the aforementioned $10 season of Friends/Seinfeld), but I also think their used prices are really competitive and when you get coupons like this 40% one - they can be incredible.
Without posting too much information - I did a deal that I called "The Scam Of The Century" this Fall where I used a bunch of sales/trade-in prices in conjunction with eachother from Sept - Dec, the main hit being FYE.
I basically ended up spending a total of $412, I ended up getting 152 DVDs (good double-disc/special edition/collector's edition/etc DVDs) and 15 seasons, and then I was left with $400 in credit after that. It was really insane.
So I hear where you're coming from - the company does have faults. My opinion is basically that their used prices are good, and the deals they run on their used are great. In the "new" department, they definitely overprice stuff (they REALLY overprice older stuff), and then they have those occasional mail-ins and the $3 bin (where I got the metal-cased special edition of the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre).
I will say I find a couple of your comments odd: You DON'T like it because of those rebate gimmicks? You can't even find Seinfeld/Friends for $10 used anywhere (especially counting shipping) - "too high for what you get?" I'm trying to figure out the downside there. The money you get back is on a Visa giftcard and can be used anywhere. Missing the negatives on that.
Also - the backstage pass card seems pretty reasonable to me - especially considering that you could easily split it between three people, and that most of the time they have a promotion with it, like when I got it and got a $15 gift card. I'm surprised you know this much about different media outlets, but don't expect yourself to spend $250 a year on media (at that point the card pays for itself) - especially because FYE's used prices are all extremely comparable to any other used vendor.
One last thing - when I shop used online I always go to FYE.com because it's "spend $25 and get free shipping" and I can use the discount card there as well - and they ALWAYS run 20% off used online. On Amazon.com you can get that shipping deal only on new products. Used on Amazon will rape you because you have to spend $3-$4 a product.
Actually after all that I believe I'm more impressed with FYE's policies overall. I never sat down and thought about it really. The only negatives are the new releases (and I never really buy new) and even that has some glaring exceptions where they have great deals.
I think for used - they are better than Newbury Comics, Amazon.com, Half.com, and Moviestop, price-wise/discount/coupon-wise overall - absolutely no contest.

I like FYE for sales like this coupon and their used product, but basically the idea of buying a card to save money by continuously shopping at said store repulses me. At least make it free! I will not shop at BJ's for the same reason. I would not do Gamestop either if I had not convinced myself I'm buying a magazine subscription and the discount card is free. It is not a privilege to shop at any store. They should be bending over backwards to get me to spend money there, not visa versa. Last night I was at K-mart and they had the gall to ask for my email address just out of the blue with no explanation nor compensation. I am just a pretty private person and I don't like cards and the rumor they are used to collect data on you for marketers. I'd rather see a flat out sale for all customers.

FYE rebates are a little worse than their discount cards to me. I feel they'll "accidentally" loose the rebate and I'm left paying $35.00 for a box set that I could have bought for $20.00 at Walmart. I would never forgive myself for willingly overpay on a box set AND get cheated out of what's rightfully mine. I would have anxiety attacks over it for months (believe me I would as I hate getting screwed). FYE on Cheap Ass Gamer has such a bad rep that I've never been willing to bite on some killer deals like 10.00 box sets or DS games. The bad word of mouth greatly outnumbers the good. Although the DS sale of last week or so really tempted me to take a chance...but again, I feel they are going to sell my name to marketers. Perhaps visa card marketers? (har har) I tend not to trust deals that are too good to be true as I know they are profiting some how, it's just that I have not figured it out yet how they are profiting.

Anyway, I'm a REALLY cheap, cheap ass gamer. Other than anime, I rarely buy new anything and even then it has to be a bit off for me to bite. I shop around and wait for years to get most things really cheap. FYE never really had many used items that was on my level of cheapness that I wanted. $7.99 used CDs is still pretty high with 40% discounts for most used cds as I know I will find them cheaper at flea markets and garage sales for $2.00 or less. I tend to only get the really rare stuff at those prices like progressive rock CDs, so my annual FYE purchases never come up to $250.00. Sometimes I wonder if I'll hit this dollar value though. Two weeks ago I traded in a bunch of 25 cent garage sale cds that had no half.com value and got 60 dollars of used Yes CDs from it. I think half of the trouble is that they rarely have the used cds/movies in that I like (or I have them already) to get me to spend $250 with them.

Oh, I do buy FYE online just recently in fact to get my Star Trek Next Generation box sets. It was the cheapest around and they are certain NOT to be bootlegs. Amazon for a long time had bootleg dealers selling theirs on the site so I had no idea if I was going to get a used or a bootleg set, which prevented me from buying them all these years. That's another good thing for FYE online, as you are sure to get legit. I'll just be kicking myself if they decide to release these sets for $20.00 a pop at walmart thanks to the new movie...

Anyway, has anyone ever seen this mythological FYE store out towards the Albany NY area that is said to be where all the crap is sent for deep liquidation? I keep hearing over and over about it at the Central NY cd/record fairs, but I've yet to see it. I hear it's like heaven if you're into obscure cheap stuff and it's so huge. I remember when Transworld (the owner of FYE) used to have "only a dollar" CD shoppes (or whatever the name was I forgot, but I remember a lot of people being taken in by the name thinking it's a dollar store when it was not) in the early 90s which was basically their close out chain stores located in dead malls, but they all since disappeared in the mid 90s and I've yet to find what they do with their old inventory since then. This was before Ebay days and I used to get super rare cds super cheap and sell them on newsgroups for high prices. I'd love to find this FYE store, as I'd surely would get a card then and probably drop a grand. LOL

#19 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

This coupon looks quite ghetto, but I'll print it and try it out. They have a used copy of The Clone Wars 2-disc edition used for about $11 after coupon.

As for new release prices: I think they do great on those if it's the actual week of release. There's no way Twilight (for my wife) will be cheaper than $15.99 after rebate.

I don't understand what size the coupon is supposed to be. OP says "keep it at its original 3x3", but his scanned image is 6.7"x6.7".

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#20 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Another question, does this coupon work at FYE's other stores like coconuts? I hope so as I only have 2 FYE's around here but several coconuts.....

#21 gobrink

gobrink

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

How about online?
I'm down with the cheapness.:D

#22 hiamiyumi

hiamiyumi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

How about online?

why don't you go online and try it yourself?

#23 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

Worked today at FYE, I'm going to try it at Coconuts sometime this week. (It should work I think?)

#24 Jeremy O'Brien

Jeremy O'Brien

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:05 AM

I just tried to used it on their website with no such luck.
Posted Image

#25 hiamiyumi

hiamiyumi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

Just used this coupon at Suncoast and the coupon works

#26 Kevz0rz

Kevz0rz

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

For those who have used the coupon and succeeded, are you printing it out at the size that was given or are you shrinking it to 3 inches.

#27 chuckstaton

chuckstaton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

I just tried to used it on their website with no such luck.

Yeah - it's not a coupon for their website. Note the instructions directly on the coupon that are for a cashier.

#28 Jeremy O'Brien

Jeremy O'Brien

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Yeah - it's not a coupon for their website. Note the instructions directly on the coupon that are for a cashier.

Someone else asked so it aroused my curiosity. I wasn't surprised it didn't work.
Posted Image

#29 hiamiyumi

hiamiyumi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

For those who have used the coupon and succeeded, are you printing it out at the size that was given or are you shrinking it to 3 inches.

I printed out the size that was given.No need to shrink it.

#30 Cuplix

Cuplix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

FYE's corporate office is in Albany as well as their test market store where they try different things before they try it at a larger number of stores. I think there are a few stores in that area but I know there is at least one huge super store up there so it wouldn't surprise me if they had a huge super discount section there.