Photo
- - - - -

Unlimited game and movie rentals for $39.99 @ Hollywood Video

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 tardoman

tardoman

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hollywood Video is about to unveil a new plan that allows for unlimited game or movie rentals for $39.99 / month! I believe you can begin signing up for it on 3/9/09.

It's called the powerplay. There are 4 different levels to the plan: Silver ($7.99), Gold ($14.99), Platinum ($24.99), Diamond ($39.99).

Each plan has a set quantity of monthly PowerPoints (excluding Diamond), and rentals vary in point cost. Older movies = 2 points, new release movies = 3 points, Blu-ray = 4 points, and games = 5 points.

Silver $7.99 -- 8 monthly powerpoints, 1 item out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Gold $14.99 -- 15 monthly powerpoints, 2 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Platinum $24.99 -- 25 monthly powerpoints, 3 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Diamond $39.99 -- Unlimited powerpoints, 3 items out at a time (2 game max), no due dates on games & movies.

On any of the plans you can extend game rentals for 1 point per day. Platinum plans can also add points in one dollar increments.

Powerpoints also rollover from month to month if they go unused.

The pamphlet also states that PowerPlay members get additional discounts on previously viewed movies & games, snacks, and concessions.

#2 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

I mean I guess it's a good deal, but...Netflix is $15 for 1 at a time unlimited plus streaming unlimited. Then there is GameFly. I would do GF/Netflix over this deal personally since my local HWV isn't that nice. If they started that online that would be cool.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#3 SPELLPLAQUE

SPELLPLAQUE

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

Same with my hwv not nice at all

#4 MarkHawk

MarkHawk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

For me it's the streaming that kills this deal... That and no Hollywood near me. But cool info in case I want to rent unlimited games.
Posted Image
"Come on! It's only a Dollar!"

Goozex | Twitter |
Website | Data-Cast Podcast | Facebook | XBL Gamer Card | PSN ID

#5 wildnuts02

wildnuts02

2 Real 4 U

• CAGiversary!

seems kind of pricey...
Posted Image

#6 Darthjer

Darthjer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

I mean I guess it's a good deal, but...Netflix is $15 for 1 at a time unlimited plus streaming unlimited. Then there is GameFly. I would do GF/Netflix over this deal personally since my local HWV isn't that nice. If they started that online that would be cool.

QFF (Quoted For Fett). $40 is too much when compared with the home access of Netflix and Gamefly... $23 + $15 and better selection (at least compared to my local HWVideo).

Jer votes Nay.

#7 tardoman

tardoman

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

I'm with ya, it's not for everyone. My local HWV likes to take good care of any of the monthly subscription customers. The biggest advantage of the plan to me would be the convenience of being able to pick up your movies/games right away, but that isn't that big of a deal any more now that a lot the online rental services can get your items to you in 1-2 days.

#8 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

NEVER MIND READ TOO FAST

still though take 40 per month.
Diamond $39.99 -- Unlimited powerpoints, 3 items out at a time (2 game max), no due dates on games & movies.

say 1 movie and 2 games every 5 days x 6

SO

6 new release movies + 10 games for 40 bucks each being a 5 day rental...

break it down more 2 days

15 movies (2 day keeping each) + 12 games (5 days each) for 40

30 Movies (1 day rental) + 12 games (5 day rental) now that is a good deal.... Break the movies down to a buck each

Meaning your renting the games for 5 days for a under a buck

netflix and blockbuster throttles the hell out of you.

so if you got a hollywood video close to you this is a VERY GOOD DEAL

Even movies alone if you lived close would be nice 90 movies for 40 per month ... Less then 50 cents per rental
WOOOO I STINK

#9 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

This may work for them. Mine has a lot of stuff for rent, but when and if this takes off it will deplete their stock some more.

I bet they will also want this on a auto renewing credit card or some such thing.

Right now I use R1G1 on most things and my discover rewards for the HWV rentals.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#10 DrunknDragun

DrunknDragun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

I already got like a movie plan with Hollywood. Similar to that Gold plan but unlimited movie rentals though no games or Blu-Ray. Would suck if they force us to use this because we would go there like twice a week since its only about four blocks away. That's like 48 points a month, then again we practically watched everything already.

#11 joby27

joby27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

What does the powerpoints do?

#12 Dragunz

Dragunz

I Like Pho.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

What does the powerpoints do?

Read the OP more carefully, its how many points you have to spend on getting games and movies for that month.

Want to win a $25 Amazon GC AND get a FREE Xbox One? Click HERE

426575.png

The Super Awesum CAG Crew: killer9, blissskr, advanced, GenPirate, DarkRider23, rickyff7, LegendK7ll3r, and whoever I missed.

#13 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Once Slidecage broke it down, it makes sense

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#14 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Once Slidecage broke it down, it makes sense

Fuck is that creepy
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#15 Tomeeboy

Tomeeboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Too expensive for what is being offered... For the $39.99 plan, they are basically offering the same thing as a Netflix + Gamefly combination (if you primarily rent games). That's currently the combination I'm using and it is only costing about $27 per month (bought 12 month Gamefly subscription at a discount around the holidays).

With Netflix, you get unlimited instant streaming over the web and your Xbox 360, a huge advantage. With Gamefly, you have the option to keep games (at a discounted rate, based on how long you've been a member), and they also give you a $5 coupon every few months. It's a no-brainer for me.

The only way I could see this being worth it would be if somebody lived REALLY close to a Hollywood Video and was blowing through a ton of movies and games every month. Most people aren't going to flip games and movies fast enough to do that (if the guy that suggested renting 90 movies per month actually has time to watch 90 movies per month AND visit Hollywood Video EVERY day, may god have mercy on his soul...lol).

By the way, how the heck are you guys paying ~$15 per month for Netflix with only 1 movie out at a time? I'm paying $8.99 / month for that, so you must be getting ripped off :)
Currently Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 :360:, SWTOR :pc:, Random XBLA Games :360:

#16 neudog

neudog

Airborne!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Not too impressed, especially since I here Redbox is Beta testing Gaming Kiosks right now. Also as others stated netflix and gamefly are cheaper. Hollywood is doing want all rental chains do and that is charge you more for the convenience of having it at a B&M store. I'm always willing to wait for a good price. This plan blows IMHO.
:bouncy:HAPPY GAMING:bouncy:
Tradelist Posted ImageThere is no need to fight, there are items for all:-P
Perrin Kaplan on Sex/Violence in Games -"Parents who use video games as a babysitter shouldn't have sex to begin with"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#17 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

You also get 50% off preplayed movies and I believe 10% off of used games.

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#18 captmurphy

captmurphy

Certified Artificial

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I am on the 1-a-month unlimited plan for netflix and it is $8.99 a month.
Posted Image

#19 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Because of the 12 free game rental coupon sheets that are given out at Game Crazy for system purchases, HWV never has any good games for rent. Also whoever decides what and how many copies of games to get is an idiot. 6 copies of Golden Axe and 1 copy of Mirror's Edge, I mean come on...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Nah, I'll pass. The girlfriend would kill me if I got rid of the streaming Netflix. Plus I like buying games from Gamefly and getting all the goodies in mint condition and at a discounted price.

#21 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

There may have been a time in my life when I could watch that many movies and play that many games. I'm not sure, though.
Posted Image

#22 agentxricky

agentxricky

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

2 game plan a month at gamefly for me= 16

3 Blu-Ray plan at Netflix plus unlimited streaming = 16

I get a total of 5 things out at time, with unlimited returns per month for about 32 dollars.

Hollywood charges 8 dollars more with a 2 item less limit.

LAME.

#23 Trufatty

Trufatty

More Cow Bell??!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

alittle pricey for me, considering gamefly is cheaper like everyone has been saying. but good info

#24 tardoman

tardoman

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

You also get 50% off preplayed movies and I believe 10% off of used games.

Sadly that discount won't stack with the other previously viewed deals that HWV runs all the time. So it'll only save you a little bit more sometimes. Although it'll benefit those who are just wanting to buy one movie, as most of the deals are for 3-4 movies typically.

#25 emeraldgsl

emeraldgsl

Beginning of the End

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Good deal if you live next door to HWV and don't work or something. I'll stick to my Netflix.
Posted Image

#26 Jauron

Jauron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Good deal if you live next door to HWV and don't work or something. I'll stick to my Netflix.

Yeah if you had nothing but time you could kill with this deal...

I'll stick to netflix and buying games on the cheap.

#27 tardoman

tardoman

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

While the deal I posted may be weak, I've learned something! As soon as I quit Hollywood Video (lose free rentals) after finishing up school, I'm gonna start a Netflix & Gamefly combo! I had no idea Netflix and Gamefly were that cheap, I've had free rentals at Hollywood video for 2-3 years now so I've been out of the loop on online rental services.

#28 axlrose4183

axlrose4183

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

yeah but with gamefly you gotta wait for a game to get mailed to them and back to you right? so with this you constantly have games and movies

axlrose4183.png

#29 RaidenMGS3

RaidenMGS3

Past the mission

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

yeah but with gamefly you gotta wait for a game to get mailed to them and back to you right? so with this you constantly have games and movies

THANK YOU! About time someone made that point. I've had Gamefly for probably five months at least and if I get a game within 3 days after mailing one I'm lucky.

This is why I go with the Blockbuster Gamer's Pass, 25 bucks a month for unlimited rentals. My Blockbuster is like five blocks away, there's nothing like trying six different games in a day lol.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 klingon666

klingon666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Let's see, HWV charges 4.29 a movie for 5 day's. If i rent 1 movie a week for 1 month that's a total of 17.16 for the 4 movies. I am saving 10.17 a month for renting the 4 movies if i go with the silver plan for 7.99 a month. Is'nt that a great deal? That's like 2.00 dollars a movie.Am i wrong?