• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin1084

Penguin1084

The Disney Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=72974

Been waiting to get this game and for $19.99 used, its a pretty good price.

541460_10200940885341320_940060124_n.jpg

#2 themothman421

themothman421

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Nice price. Not available online though and no stores near me have it :(

thanks for posting, though, I'll be on the lookout for it

#3 n64ra

n64ra

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

damn, games end up for sale used fast

#4 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

This is a good deal-- I had picked one up for my girlfriend last week. Don't forget to use the eternal 10% off coupon and your Edge to bring it down to 15.99+tax
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#5 lunker

lunker

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Bought it at full price and I wasn't disappointed. Be forewarned, though, the platforming part of the game is HARD. Like, NES-era Mega Man hard. The first two worlds are simple enough, but by World 4 you'll be breaking a sweat.

#6 RoundeRx54

RoundeRx54

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Lunker, you are about to scare me off.

$20 is a decent deal though.

#7 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Nice, a copy is in stock near me and I was planning to go by the store this afternoon anyway.
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#8 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Ee-aw-oh-yee-hoo-aw.............aka............good Show!

#9 s2k

s2k

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

15.99+tax with edge and 10% is great

#10 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Bought it at full price and I wasn't disappointed. Be forewarned, though, the platforming part of the game is HARD. Like, NES-era Mega Man hard. The first two worlds are simple enough, but by World 4 you'll be breaking a sweat.

Well now I HAVE to get it.

#11 bcgameguide

bcgameguide

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Well said. I thought the boss at the end of the 3rd world was tough. It got me thinking, "Well, maybe that was a bump in the road." It wasn't. That fourth world is jump-into-nothingness frustrating!

I think this property should be supported since it is SO good, but man, what were they thinking about the difficulty curve? Easy, easy, easy, easy, medium, THROW THE SYSTEM AGAINST WALL!

#12 lunker

lunker

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

It's fun as hell—if you like the recent Castlevania games blended with some Planet Puzzle League—but for some reason I was going in expecting it to be a cakewalk, and I've been pleasantly humbled. And this isn't including the harder difficulty unlocked after beating the game once!

#13 Penguin1084

Penguin1084

The Disney Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

It's fun as hell—if you like the recent Castlevania games blended with some Planet Puzzle League—but for some reason I was going in expecting it to be a cakewalk, and I've been pleasantly humbled. And this isn't including the harder difficulty unlocked after beating the game once!

Planet puzzle league is easily one of my top 10 favorite ds games.

went to a gamestop today and they had 2 copies but no instructions on either. passed for the time being, but definitely plan on picking up this game one way or another.

#14 dallow

dallow

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

A surprisingly good game that doesn't deserve used sales this close to release. Just sayin'.

#15 mrfreeziexp

mrfreeziexp

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

Don't be scared. I've made it to World 5 and I didn't think it was that hard. Perhaps I'm just really good at platformers, who knows. I wouldn't say it's Mega Man hard, because it's still fun. Mega Man, for me at least, was so hard it wasn't fun. Hatsworth wasn't like that.

Also, for anyone on the fence, I HIGHLY recommend this game. It is fun, it's got a hilarious story, great characters, and most importantly, it's got great gameplay. $20 is a steal for this game, although, I wish people wouldn't buy it used.
:cold:

#16 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Found the copy at my local store--it was mint and complete... and now belongs to me. Thanks OP :)
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#17 jrsmaster411

jrsmaster411

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Ee-aw-oh-yee-hoo-aw.............aka............good Show!

This game has the best voice overs ever! I found the final boss extremely easy once you memorize the pattern, the only problem I had was that the levels where pretty long and the checkpoints are far apart

#18 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I'm all over this when a 20% DS coupon comes out.

#19 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

My new favorite DS game--it has managed to dethrone New Super Mario Bros, and I never thought there would be a DS game that could do that.

BTW, it does get difficult, but never to the point of frustration like, say, Prinny. And the difficulty isn't at all related to the controls, because they're pretty much spot on.

Seriously, people: if you're old enough to have owned the original NES or SNES, then you're going to absolutely fall in love with this game.

FEW BULLET POINTS (for CAG's on the fence):
>combo system w/ air juggles
>upgrade system
>multiple weapons
>wall hopping (by 2nd world)
>complete control over jumping (eg. NOT LIKE GHOULS n GHOSTS)
>lengthy with lots of variety between stages (I'm already like 6 hours in)
>classic platforming
>lots of lives
>spot-on controls
>several big bosses per world
>very fair difficulty curve
>ties in a fantastic knock off of Super Puzzle League

...sorry, I'm just trying to highlight the best parts of this game because, well, I want people to buy it so we get a sequel :-)

IMHO, this feels like a Nintendo platformer, which is why I'm surprised it came from an upstart group. GotY '09.

Edited by AwRy108, 07 April 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#20 rakaminkol

rakaminkol

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Wow that was quick! I might just have to pick up this gem after all.
[URL="http://www.gaminglagoon.com/?ref=17276"][/URL]

#21 Zingela

Zingela

Royal ... Santa Hat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Many stores have this right now, every manager apparently got a free copy a few weeks ago. The ones that didn't care/beat it already likely traded them in.
I love this game.

sonicdreamcast.jpg

#22 ssssss

ssssss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

I don't know, I'd feel kind of guilty buying this used; games like this I really want to sell more than they do, and I want to support EA for taking a risk. The premise seems awesome and stuff like making the soundtrack free is really good fan service.

Ahh, the cheapass dilemma strikes back..

#23 DoctorArch

DoctorArch

Curmudgeon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

Yay, picked one up. Thanks OP.

And to the CAG at Portland State who picked up the one at the Gamestop close to the school 10 minutes before I did :-P
Thank you CAG, for making grad school more enjoyable (and cheap).

#24 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

I got it last week, I really like it so far.
Smile

#25 dafunkk12

dafunkk12

Coconut Monkey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

IMHO, this feels like a Nintendo platformer, which is why I'm surprised it came from an upstart group. GotY '09.

Upstart group from within the House of Madden, EA Tiburon. Which earns EA even more applause/respect from me. But apparently the team has spun off their own indie studio DreamRift.

http://www.developma...orm-independent
Posted Image
|Inspection 12 -- The Best Band You'll Never Hear|
My Game Collection (not at all complete and hardly updated)

#26 ken12012

ken12012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Be sure to pick this up! It's an awesome game!

...I was surprised too.

#27 rmb

rmb

old enough to be your dad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Many stores have this right now, every manager apparently got a free copy a few weeks ago. The ones that didn't care/beat it already likely traded them in.
I love this game.

Yea they all got a copy. That is the reason this is lower in price. Once they sell some inventory I wouldn't be shocked to see the price go back up. Most all these copies should be minty complete as well.

#28 bcgameguide

bcgameguide

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

My new favorite DS game--it has managed to dethrone New Super Mario Bros, and I never thought there would be a DS game that could do that.

BTW, it does get difficult, but never to the point of frustration like, say, Prinny. And the difficulty isn't at all related to the controls, because they're pretty much spot on.

Seriously, people: if you're old enough to have owned the original NES or SNES, then you're going to absolutely fall in love with this game.

FEW BULLET POINTS (for CAG's on the fence):
>combo system w/ air juggles
>upgrade system
>multiple weapons
>wall hopping (by 2nd world)
>complete control over jumping (eg. NOT LIKE GHOULS n GHOSTS)
>lengthy with lots of variety between stages (I'm already like 6 hours in)
>classic platforming
>lots of lives
>spot-on controls
>several big bosses per world
>very fair difficulty curve
>ties in a fantastic knock off of Super Puzzle League

...sorry, I'm just trying to highlight the best parts of this game because, well, I want people to buy it so we get a sequel :-)

Having played the 4th level again, I see I must have been having a bad day or something since I had a much easier time the second time around. I do feel that the end of stage 3 is WAY harder than anything put before it, so the "fair" difficulty curve is up for debate in my book.

HOWEVER, everything said in praise of this game is well said. I think the Penny Arcade guys or CAGs should really get behind this one because this would have been a solid platformer without the Planet Puzzle League tie-in.

If anyone gets this, here is my suggestion. Save up and buy 2 extra hearts and 1 extra silver heart from the shop as soon as you can! You can upgrade your other stuff at a later time. It is SO much more critical to have at least 7 hearts before you enter the fourth level since the baddies and bosses get wicked tough.

This should be the sleeper hit of the year and hardcore gamers will miss out since it doesn't have the words MARIO, THEFT, RESIDENT, or GEARS in the title!

#29 Penguin1084

Penguin1084

The Disney Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

went back to the gamestop I was at the other day and they had another copy complete with everything.

keyword: had.

#30 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

Thanks OP, picked up a copy at my local GS. Paid $11.xx out the door! :D