CAGcast #157: Half Nelson

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

Nelson Rodriguez, former Achievement Junkie host and Microsoft employee joins us for a fun interview and CheapyD provides a new CheapyD Promise. We also talk NPD numbers,the latest shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

This episode is sponsored by X-Blades' rebate offer http://altfarm.media...t=[CACHEBUSTER](download rebate pdf)
http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=6420

Download - 121 minutes, 49MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:
coming soon!

Edited by CheapyD, 20 April 2009 - 07:51 AM.

#2 ZeroForte

ZeroForte

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

Lol. Awesome. Sponsorship.

#3 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

It'll take a lot more than a $5 rebate for me to buy X-Blades (unless Target drops it to $5 on clearance) but good luck for the contest Cheapy; hopefully you get some creative entries.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#4 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Awesome, I wont have to talk on the phone while I poop today! ;)

It'll take a lot more than a $5 rebate for me to buy X-Blades (unless Target drops it to $5 on clearance) but good luck for the contest Cheapy; hopefully you get some creative entries.

It's already orange tagged/clearance priced $29 @ Target.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#5 nzbeans

nzbeans

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

I had to restart my listening because the introduction was the most bitchin' intro you've pulled out in ages.

#6 ZeroForte

ZeroForte

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

I had to restart my listening because the introduction was the most bitchin' intro you've pulled out in ages.

Here's the vid for ya.

#7 FecesBreath

FecesBreath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Here comes a NEW SPONSOR!

WTF?!

I'm all for Cheapy getting paid, but you really could of left out the shill at the very beginning of the podcast. Isn't that why you hated the Navy ads, because it was just an insertion of a boring promo? Just leave the sponsor stuff to special discussion or fun talk during the show, like you did with Gamestop and like you do with Netflix.

#8 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

The ad was fine but I fully expect a lot of complaints. I am in no way interested in x-blades but I'm all for sponsorship as long as it's genuine and cool (and this is neither of those things).
Oh and Beatles fucking rock. Don't know if I'll get the full set but I imagine once I see the instruments, I'll pull my wallet out pretty fast.

Edited by sotc1988, 20 April 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#9 weevles

weevles

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Cool. I have no issue with the ad. Makes the podcast that much more like a "real" professional venture, lol. Can't wait to listen to the full show.

#10 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

When you look at the poor initial sales of Chinatown Wars you have to look at 2 factors:

First, the game was not marketed well. The game had less advertising than The Lost and Damned, and while I saw a few commercials on TV of that, a downloadable expansion, I have yet to see a single ad for Chinatown Wars.

Second, there was the perception that the game would cost $50. A few months before the game came out, retailers like Amazon and Gamestop had a pre-order price for the game at $49.99, and this news spread, and that perception is still there somewhat.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#11 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

When you look at the poor initial sales of Chinatown Wars you have to look at 2 factors:

First, the game was not marketed well. The game had less advertising than The Lost and Damned, and while I saw a few commercials on TV of that, a downloadable expansion, I have yet to see a single ad for Chinatown Wars.

I've seen as many commercials for Chinatown Wars as I have for The Lost and Damned. It could just vary on how much tv you watch, what channels you watch, etc.

And about the Wolverine cartoon, Wolverine does what he can to not stand out as a mutant, hence wearing the helmet despite his skeleton and healing factor. But all in all, the cartoon doesn't follow the comic (or the horrible movies), so its very YMMV on whether or not you'll enjoy it.

2014 All-You-Can-Eat Pancake Champion at IHOP #814

DarkZion9.png card.png

#12 steverl22

steverl22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

Nelson was a good guest....nice show.

548012.png

#13 wiiheat

wiiheat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

The CAGCast, brought to you by Carl's Jr.

#14 MIGGO

MIGGO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Second, there was the perception that the game would cost $50. A few months before the game came out, retailers like Amazon and Gamestop had a pre-order price for the game at $49.99, and this news spread, and that perception is still there somewhat.

There was plenty of advertising going in TV land around this title with several high reviews and praises from different gaming magazines and websites. I'm not too sure on your second argument, as that has more to do with the public's perception on the game. For what it's worth, I knew the correct price of the game when it was released from sales ads and news about Gamestop's Preorder deal.

I find all the news about GTA: CW sales to be quite odd. I'm not too sure why people expected it to sell like hot shit immediately out of the gate especially when the last portable GTA title looked and played extremely similar to the PS2 incarnations. I put in several hours of the DS version before sending it back to Gamefly, and while it was fun, I just found it to be unnecessary. For me, the camera was too close to your character and killed the exploration factor to the game. Surely, I wasn't the only one who had problems mapping out the world in their head? The city just all looked the same to me.

Perhaps the game will pick up steam in the upcoming month from the hardcore GTA crowd, but then again, do those people even own DS systems?

The CAGCast, brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Home of the EXTRA BIG ASS TACO! Carl's Jr...Fuck you, I'm eating.

#15 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Haha judging from the first posts seems like CAG is gettin paid ;]

Former podcast-e aye? interesting should be a good one

1xz7eo.gif

#16 Willeth

Willeth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Wombat, the game you were playing in Professor Layton was Digital Digits - the one that asks you to find times of day with three digits in a row. It's one of my favourite puzzles ever.

And yeah, the first time I did it I had to do a similar thing :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 NiTeShade777

NiTeShade777

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

Great choice for the intro song

Posted Image

#18 Xavin

Xavin

cFX Erryday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

w00t, new podcast on 4/20 (lol). Downloading now.

Posted Image

#19 AgentSushi

AgentSushi

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Another great cagcast, i have to say i am some what supprised about how much the site is worth.
Posted Image

#20 wiiheat

wiiheat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

Almost nothing is as annoying as iPhone owners and their stupid $0.99 apps. I guess since most places outlawed smoking that humans naturally evolved some other way to keep being annoying.

#21 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Excellent interview with Nelson. I totally get his take on the negative posters. Every once in a while I try to participate in the great "community" everyone talks about but find myself aggravated by the trolls who like tearing everything down. You get upset but then remind yourself they're usually 13 year olds from Austrailia or something like that with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. So I stop posting until the next time the urge strikes me again.

#22 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

I've seen as many commercials for Chinatown Wars as I have for The Lost and Damned. It could just vary on how much tv you watch, what channels you watch, etc.

Agreed. I saw the TV ads for this all over the place. It even played a part in the South Park episode 'Margaritaville'.

#23 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

And about the Wolverine cartoon, Wolverine does what he can to not stand out as a mutant, hence wearing the helmet despite his skeleton and healing factor. But all in all, the cartoon doesn't follow the comic (or the horrible movies), so its very YMMV on whether or not you'll enjoy it.

In my opinion, the show's OK, not horrible but not great either. I think Wombat will back me up that one of the big problems with this version is Wolverine's the team leader. He's always resisted leadership and hated the times he's been forced in that role. He's the angry guy who's a thorn in Xavier and Cyclop's side. He might be the most popular X-Man but he should never be the leader.

#24 SirMikael

SirMikael

Touch Not This CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Excellent interview with Nelson. I totally get his take on the negative posters. Every once in a while I try to participate in the great "community" everyone talks about but find myself aggravated by the trolls who like tearing everything down. You get upset but then remind yourself they're usually 13 year olds from Austrailia or something like that with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. So I stop posting until the next time the urge strikes me again.

Dude, I'm 14 and it's New Zealand. J/K :)

I'm excited to listen to this podcast tonight, I'm curious to see what Nelson has to say.

#25 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Nelson was by far the best interview you guys have done because he was engaging, interesting, and funny. Please please PLEASE try and make an effort to get him on the show more often.

#26 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Not the response I was expecting out of Cheapy after the whole racist scandal from last show, but props to you for not giving in because it's your show and you can say whatever you want.

Edit: Also, you can get SingStar Queen as well as the wireless mics right now from Europe.

Edited by bornrunnin31, 21 April 2009 - 02:37 AM.

#27 GunMetalJackal

GunMetalJackal

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

Great episode, it would be awesome if Nelson could be on the show more often there seems to be a great dynamic between Cheapy Wombat and Nelson(especially when they're ripping on wombat, sorry wombat) I never thought much of the guy until this episode.

#28 pika

pika

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

That was a great podcast, and sorry to say but although I liked the cagplay forecast CheapyD was right when he said the energy was low and greenblattsam, IIRC its against the rules to post a rom site on the forums, even though it was only an example.

#29 digitaldisco

digitaldisco

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

X-Blades huh? I guess their desperate to move that crappy game.
Posted Image

#30 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

this eps. just wasn't racist enough lol

great interview i liked the part when he called wombat a girl i lol'd

CheapyD, Resident Evil 5 is so easy you should have no trouble beating it