Photo
- - - - -

UFC 2009 Undisputed

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 kamiza

kamiza

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was wondering how many of you have checked out the demo of this game. I picked it up a few days ago and I've been blown away by it. The control scheme seems really indepth but easy to get into. The graphics are great and the gameplay looks really slick. I love the fact that you can get caught by a one punch and your gone. In the first game I went down in 14 seconds.

I've really enjoyed the demo and think I'll definitely be picking it up at launch.
www.newbreview.com - Because we're not all hardcore

www.twitter.com/newbreview

My personal twitter:
www.twitter.com/kamiza

#2 DantheApe

DantheApe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

This is one demo that i have killed more time with than some of the psn games i've paid for (lemmings? ugh i regret that one) so this is a day 1 for sure. I think my brother said it right when he said "fight night meets throwdown."

I was shocked at how great the controls felt. It was easy enough for my wife's kid cousin to pickup, but there's enough there to really learn.

The roster list is incredible though. I don't think i have ever seen a fighting game with 80+ characters (plus 2 if ya preorder at gamestop) plus a create-a-fighter...can't wait
"People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what's bitter and move on."

~Bill Cosby

#3 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

been playing it on the highest difficulty and only got one win and it was a lucky punch. its fun. very fun depending on how deep the create a player thing is and if you can take created players online against other people id pick it up. this replaces fight night as my favorite fighting game.

#4 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

I got it preordered. Love MMA. Even though there is a large roster, you got to remember there are weigh classes so you can't just randomly pit Brock Lesnar against B.J. Penn, though if you could that could be fun.

#5 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Love the demo. Definite must have!

#6 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

I really enjoyed the demo but am renting this first before I buy it.I'm a huge fan and practitioner of MMA and feel the game is the best representation of the sport yet, but still feel it is lacking in a lot of areas.

I want to see how a few other matches play out first with other weight classes. What I'll be looking for before the game is bought: fights don't just become boxing matches, the ground game actually gets strategic with two BJJ experts, and that the mix of fighters truly feels like a mix of fighters and not just "fighter skins".

Overall, I'm impressed, but I want to make sure the depth is there before I plunk down the dough.

#7 Chuplayer

Chuplayer

Anticitizen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

I am having sooooooooooo much fun with the demo. It's the only thing I've played over this past week.

The game becomes so grueling on the highest difficulty, but it's possible to fight smartly if you turn the stamina meters on. That's the key to beating tough fighters. You've got to fight smart.

I just played this one awesome match where it was 30 seconds away from going to decision, but I landed a well-timed head kick and scored a KO. I literally pumped my fist up in the air and yelled "YEAH!" It's that good!

I have the first UFC game on the Dreamcast, but I never really got into it, and I never played any of the other MMA games. I don't know how close this new one is to the older ones, but if it's a whole new type of fighting game, that's fantastic. They knocked this one out of the park in just one shot.

I think they've left things open in the demo that they need to fix, such as commentary during knockout replays. It looks like they're only in there for ground and pound TKO and submission replays.

Amazing game. Day 1 buy for me.
Boycotting Digital Press for blatant anti-Semitism.

#8 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

I really enjoyed the demo but am renting this first before I buy it.I'm a huge fan and practitioner of MMA and feel the game is the best representation of the sport yet, but still feel it is lacking in a lot of areas.

I want to see how a few other matches play out first with other weight classes. What I'll be looking for before the game is bought: fights don't just become boxing matches, the ground game actually gets strategic with two BJJ experts, and that the mix of fighters truly feels like a mix of fighters and not just "fighter skins".

Overall, I'm impressed, but I want to make sure the depth is there before I plunk down the dough.

If all you're getting out of the demo is a boxing match, you're playing it wrong. Crank up the difficulty to expert and try throwing some of those big bombs with Chuck. Shogun will take you down and have you submitted in about 30 seconds. The higher difficulties force strategy to even make it out of the first round.

#9 scionocide

scionocide

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:19 AM

I can't wait for this game to come out, perfect timing for the start of summer

#10 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

The demo is way to easy, I can knock the guy out within 60sec! Iceman was/is great though...

Also I hate that they had to license their likeness away for life or be fired. =/

2ic4l5j.jpg

#11 RiCeBo1

RiCeBo1

NAME PRONOUNCED RICEBOY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

Getting it day 1 :) For those who can't decide on the 360 or PS3 version, I've noticed that the PS3 is a lot cleaner in graphics and a lot sharper. The colors might be a little bit lighter, but overall I think it looks better on PS3. The 360 seems to have white aliasing issues on the octagon cage if you look closely. The PS3 is smooth as butter.

Posted Image

#12 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

If all you're getting out of the demo is a boxing match, you're playing it wrong. Crank up the difficulty to expert and try throwing some of those big bombs with Chuck. Shogun will take you down and have you submitted in about 30 seconds. The higher difficulties force strategy to even make it out of the first round.

I don't play as Chuck...I like him as a fighter, but I'm not a big fan of his style.

Playing as Shogun, Chuck is pretty much a 1-dimensional fighter now (hence all of his recent losses and retirement). He is basically a heavy handed dude with some wrestling skills. Even with the difficulty at the max, he refuses to do takedowns which inevitably ends up making the game a boxing match with occasional kicks thrown in. Sure it can get interesting when I go for a takedown with Shogun and we get into reversals and stuff, but 90% of my matches start out boxing and end as boxing.

Trust me, I've played this demo more times than I care to admit, have seen all sorts of KO's and tapouts, and I'm still on the fence on the purchase. I stand by my initial preview that I want to see more of the fighters styles to make sure things stay interesting and that I wont get bored with stalemate boxing.

#13 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

I don't play as Chuck...I like him as a fighter, but I'm not a big fan of his style.

Playing as Shogun, Chuck is pretty much a 1-dimensional fighter now (hence all of his recent losses and retirement). He is basically a heavy handed dude with some wrestling skills. Even with the difficulty at the max, he refuses to do takedowns which inevitably ends up making the game a boxing match with occasional kicks thrown in. Sure it can get interesting when I go for a takedown with Shogun and we get into reversals and stuff, but 90% of my matches start out boxing and end as boxing.

Trust me, I've played this demo more times than I care to admit, have seen all sorts of KO's and tapouts, and I'm still on the fence on the purchase. I stand by my initial preview that I want to see more of the fighters styles to make sure things stay interesting and that I wont get bored with stalemate boxing.

Umm...I'm not sure I understand your point. You just got done saying Chuck has become a one dimensional fighter, and then proceed to complain about him only wanting to strike in the game. Doesn't that just mean it's realistic? I will say that I think Chuck's takedown and submission defense is too high though. I was never able to get a submission until I just started using Chuck and did them on Shogun.

I think there are certain aspects of the game that are maybe a bit exagerrated, but for a video game, I think it works. There's nothing wrong with waiting to find out what the full game is like, but I would be shocked if the more submission oriented guys aren't beasts on the ground. Honestly, I can't think of a more convincing demo than this though. It's the most fun I've had in a long time.

#14 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

Unfortunately for you Kamiza I have this reserved on 360 as it's a numbers game for me. 1 or 2 PSN friends getting the game, or at least 8-10 on the 360 side.

What are the pre-order bonuses for it across the pond? Here it's either 2 exclusive fighters (Gamestop,) a $10 off a UFC PPV coupon (Best Buy,) or a Best of UFC DVD (Game Crazy.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#15 kamiza

kamiza

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Unfortunately for you Kamiza I have this reserved on 360 as it's a numbers game for me. 1 or 2 PSN friends getting the game, or at least 8-10 on the 360 side.

What are the pre-order bonuses for it across the pond? Here it's either 2 exclusive fighters (Gamestop,) a $10 off a UFC PPV coupon (Best Buy,) or a Best of UFC DVD (Game Crazy.)

We also get two fighters. I've put details, as well as my detailed thoughts on the game in my new blog (link in sig)
www.newbreview.com - Because we're not all hardcore

www.twitter.com/newbreview

My personal twitter:
www.twitter.com/kamiza

#16 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

Yeah Kamiza those are the same fighters as Gamestop orders get.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#17 yohsh

yohsh

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:11 AM

The demo seems pretty easy especially when I knocked out chuck in 15 seconds on expert. Its really easy to just stand up and throw punches.

Chucks take down defense is hard you really cant take him down . The only way you'll get him on the ground is if you knock him down and run in and most of the time the game will want you to gnp him.

I was also able to get shuck in a triangle from the bottom position.

The game is cool but i hope its a little more challenging. i know chuck inst really in his prime these days but he should have lasted a while against shogun.

uc.png

#18 FuelDigga

FuelDigga

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:33 AM

i thought the demo was fun, but its not worth the $60 for me at least, i'll wait till i can pick it up for $19.99

#19 mm74

mm74

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

i liked the demo but not sure if ill drop $60 on it

#20 Rafael122

Rafael122

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

If you get it at Best Buy, you have the chance to get a $10 off a pay per view purchase, which would mean the PPV would cost $35 standard price or $45 in HD...I think.

#21 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Who are the two Gamestop exclusive fighters? Is it like with WWE Smackdown were they just give you a code in advance that you would have had anyways by unlocking the characters?

#22 Rafael122

Rafael122

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

Ryan Bader and Efrain Escudero. They are the two Ultimate Fighter winners from the last season.

Most likely they will give you a code.

#23 havoksend

havoksend

Noble Seven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

When you get it at FYE you get UFC 93 dvd, I think it's 93, its the one with the Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson main event. Thats a 20 dollar dvd, thats where I am grabbing mine, well who are the two bonus fighters?

#24 lunasicc

lunasicc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Does anyone know if the bonus DVD from GameCrazy's pre-order going to arrive when the game drops or a little earlier(much like the Metal Gear Saga Vol.2 DVD)?

#25 DantheApe

DantheApe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Shame newegg isn't getting any preorder boni, I am really looking forward to this one...less than 2 weeks away!
"People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what's bitter and move on."

~Bill Cosby

#26 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

The demo seems pretty easy especially when I knocked out chuck in 15 seconds on expert. Its really easy to just stand up and throw punches.

Chucks take down defense is hard you really cant take him down . The only way you'll get him on the ground is if you knock him down and run in and most of the time the game will want you to gnp him.

I was also able to get shuck in a triangle from the bottom position.

The game is cool but i hope its a little more challenging. i know chuck inst really in his prime these days but he should have lasted a while against shogun.

Turn up the difficulty and see what happens. 360 users have reported the game is extremely tough on expert or whatever the highest difficulty is called.

42869.png

#27 primetime

primetime

What time is it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

Anybody planning on grabbing this for PS3? Just preordered mine yesterday. I told myself I wasn't buying anything soon, but the demo sold me big time.
Posted Image

#28 Pratt75

Pratt75

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'll be getting the PS3 version on Tuesday, can't wait.

#29 Rafael122

Rafael122

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Anybody planning on grabbing this for PS3? Just preordered mine yesterday. I told myself I wasn't buying anything soon, but the demo sold me big time.

Yeah...I'm getting it. I'm jumping on that Best Buy deal.

#30 primetime

primetime

What time is it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

I was hoping there would be enough interest to get a PS3 league formed.
Posted Image