CAG Foreplay #63: Over... Shoot Him... Over

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of July 14th, 2009. Retail releases are slim this week, but we get a glimpse at what the future holds with a hearty sampling of downloadable games.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $7.49 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

Download - 50 minutes, 46MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at shipwrecks@cheapassgamer.com or foreplay@cheapassgamer.com.

Multi-Platform

NCAA Football 10 Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PSP, 360, PS3 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
Otherwise known as the melting pot of college football "xperiences".

:360: Purchase At Amazon $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Best Buy $59.99 (Free 3 Month Xbox Live Arcade Kit with in-store purchase using Reward Zone Coupon)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

Science Papa Dev. Activision Pub. Activision Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $19.99, $29.99
Mama's in the kitchen, Papa's in the lab. So I'm positive this is another mini-game collection, but I'm uncertain if it ends with one in the graveyard and one in the pen.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)

Wii

Birthday Party Bash Dev. Take 2 Interactive Pub. 2K Play Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Classic kids' party games frosted over with a gooey layer of Duncan Hines branding.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

DS

DinoPets Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Raise and care for 101 different dinosaurs. This may end badly. In the legendary words of the dearly departed Jeff Goldblum, Destineer's "scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy Dev. Frogwares Pub. Dreamcatcher Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
I detect a graphical adventure that mixes a little bit of Trace Memory with a healthy dose of 7th Guest.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

On The DL

Ant Nation Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $7
Give it a go as an ant farmhand or simply torture your pet pests in this oddball simulation.

Bit Boy!! Dev. Bplus Pub. Bplus Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $6
Starting a game out in the "4-bit" era and ending it in the "128 bit" era is an intriguing concept, but the main character being a cube just isn't resonating with me.

Incoming! Dev. JV Games Pub. JV Games Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $5
From the makers of "Frat Party Games: Pong Toss" comes this tank trajectory game with a bit of "Missile Command" dropped in.

Pulseman Dev. Game Freak Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii Virtual Console (Genesis) MSRP: $9
Anxious to get his name back out there before the Vitality Sensor hits, Pulseman is a Japanese import that combines elements from Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Secret Command Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii Virtual Console (Master System) MSRP: $6
Okay, so let me get the licensing straight on this one. Secret Command originally came out in North America as Rambo: First Blood Part II, but because it would require more money to purchase that license, it's coming out as an import. So you are charging me an extra dollar "import fee" to take Rambo out of my Rambo game. Mission... accomplished.

Brain Challenge Dev. Gameloft Pub. Gameloft Systems: DSiWare MSRP: $8
Again.

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? Dev. Ride On Pub. NIS America Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
There's a little bit of Dig Dug-gery in this quirky strategy title that has you burrowing out new dungeons to keep the trespassing heroes at bay.

Myst Dev. Hoplite Research Pub. Cyan Worlds Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
Every time another version of "Brain Challenge" is released another version of "Myst" must also be released, lest the balance between them be thrown off and the world hurled violently off its axis.

Unbound Saga Dev. Vogster Pub. SCEA Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
Play as Rick Ajax or Lori Machete in this comic book brawler that takes a page or two out of Comix Zone's book.

Madballs in Babo: Invasion Dev. Playbrains Pub. Playbrains Systems: XBLA MSRP: $15
Sure I have nostalgia for that ratty Mummy Madball I had as a kid, but I'm also intrigued by playing this third-person shooter as a dual-machine-gun-wielding Avatar head.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition Dev. LucasArts Entertainment Pub. LucasArts Entertainment Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
The classic swashbuckling of Guybrush Threepwood is retold with new hi-def graphical adventuring. Also includes low-def graphical adventuring.

Le Tour de France 2009: The Official Game Dev. Cyanide Pub. Focus Home Entertainment Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
For when you virtually want to to ride your bicycle. For when you virtually want to ride your bike. It's kind of like Paperboy, but without those pesky breakdancers. Also, you aren't delivering papers.

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Edited by shipwreck, 15 July 2009 - 12:44 PM.

"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#2 whywakeup

whywakeup

The Chief .

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

Ive been having a really bad day until this . Thanks Ship .
Posted Image

#3 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

It's a Christmas Miracle
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4 maxgle

maxgle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

totally not interested in any of those games, but I am still listening to the show..:)

#5 TheBlueWizard

TheBlueWizard

Indeed, O'Neill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

Downloading the show now.

Glad to see that you haven't given the show up....I was worried that you had.

TBW
"There are geeks, I am their leader."

Posted Image
Collection

#6 USB Cable

USB Cable

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

I'm just so happy! :'(
Spoiler

#7 Jest

Jest

Take this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

I had to do a double-take when I read the title of this thread. I'm still shocked that you guys actually put out a show! Thanks and keep up the great work you two!

#8 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

Holy crap, a NEW FOREPLAY? WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

#9 DietPoopSoda

DietPoopSoda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

So, I am just at the "publicity" section of the podcast, and I am getting a bit irritated. Mrs. Shipwreck is actually the one that is irritating me.

It is not publication when I have a game in my DS. It is most likely closed, turned off, and in my backpack/at home. Someone would have to either ask me what game I have in my DS currently (how often does that happen in real life?) or someone is opening my DS to see what I have. The only time that just having a game in my system is publicizing is when I play a game on my 360 or PS3, because my friends online can see what game it is.

I agree with Shipwreck, and I do not think he was being an idiot. What do you guys think?

Otherwise, I am very happy that Foreplay is back. I really do love the show.

Edited by DietPoopSoda, 15 July 2009 - 05:20 AM.

#10 DaMonStEr

DaMonStEr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

Good show. You should do more video reviews for games Ship, all the CAG's seemed to like the last one you did.

#11 Schmackledorf

Schmackledorf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

Holy crap! A new CAG Foreplay?! And just when I had lost hope...

#12 PhaperPlane

PhaperPlane

A British CAG.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

I approve of the opening theme! ;) Listening now! :D
Posted Image
Give me an internet please!

Follow me on Twitter! | Be my friend on Last.FM!

Feel free to add me on XBL and PSN!

#13 M1C13

M1C13

AKA MCHammer XIII

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Talk about small world I didn't know you lived that close. I live in West Chester and went to Lakota. Might have to stop by on Saturday. I remember you came into GameCrazy in Forest Park when I worked there. Crazy.
Posted Image

#14 Earmuffin585

Earmuffin585

Modding Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the show!!!!!!! Saved me from listening songs that I don't like in my iphone!
Posted Image

#15 grecianfox

grecianfox

Ambulance Chaser

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Its been a while but I have run into shipwreck in the pass during deal hunting in the Cincinnati area. I really enjoy these segments.

#16 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

The problem with your reviews, Shipwreck. Is that I don't care about any of the reviews you wrote. I realize that popular games are widely reviewed, However I want to hear what YOU have to say about Madden 10.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#17 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Do a video for both games, and remember you still got to do a gaming collection tour too.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#18 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

Glad to have you two back. BTW, we plugged you on Cross Border Gaming.
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#19 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

I love the audio form of the shipwrecks, because of all the side banter included in the podcast and it is hard to get that in a written review.Like this week with the free publicity debate and mrs.ship called ship stupid then like 3 minutes later she didnt get there was no part rambo game. just my 2 cents.

#20 Decepticreep

Decepticreep

Rule of Acquis. 16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

so is that the new schedule? once every 10 weeks?

#21 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

I love the audio form of the shipwrecks, because of all the side banter included in the podcast and it is hard to get that in a written review.Like this week with the free publicity debate and mrs.ship called ship stupid then like 3 minutes later she didnt get there was no part rambo game. just my 2 cents.

Yea exactly!

More foreplay please.
And video reviews > written reviews

#22 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

what the heck does TBW stand for. Totally butt wild in my circles
Posted Image

[IMG]http://http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2010/08/duck_dog_mask.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/164888.png[/IMG]

#23 Jehuty

Jehuty

Real horrorshow.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

Great episode, & video reviews > written reviews

#24 Rusty Ghia

Rusty Ghia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Glad to have the two of you back.

Personally, I really like the audio Foreplay podcast. As mentioned before, you don't get the fun banter in written form. And frankly, you can find reviews for any game on the internet already.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Bixby Snyder

#25 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

the show LIVES!~
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#26 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

About your wifi idea, isn't that more or less what Metal Gear Portable Ops did?

I never played it, but wasnt that the hook? Or was she suggesting more of a passive thing?

#27 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

IMHO you can do the show as a previews show or simply a videogame show, either is terrific.
[cp][/cp]

#28 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Glad the Shipwrecks are back. The CAG Foreplay podcast was greatly missed in my podcast rotation. It's the only gaming podcast I'll let my kids listen to (sorry Wombat, but CheapyD is rated "R" too often.)

So, I am just at the "publicity" section of the podcast, and I am getting a bit irritated. Mrs. Shipwreck is actually the one that is irritating me.

It is not publication when I have a game in my DS. It is most likely closed, turned off, and in my backpack/at home. Someone would have to either ask me what game I have in my DS currently (how often does that happen in real life?) or someone is opening my DS to see what I have. The only time that just having a game in my system is publicizing is when I play a game on my 360 or PS3, because my friends online can see what game it is.

I agree with Shipwreck, and I do not think he was being an idiot. What do you guys think?

Otherwise, I am very happy that Foreplay is back. I really do love the show.

I don't think Shipwreck is an idiot, but he did miss Mrs. Shipwreck's point. If you have a game in your DS all the time to pick up free stuff, or if you are constantly swapping an older game back in to get updates, it is a form of word-of-mouth publicity (if people ask about it) or constant brand recognition type publicity.

The game I think that has done this the most for me is "The World Ends with You." I beat the game, but since the game allows for pin points to collect while the game is off, I am popping the game back into my DS everyday just to take advantage of the points to upgrade my pins. Now, if a new game comes out by "the people who made TWEWY" or if a review says a new game is similar to TWEWY, I'm going to be all over that game just because of the fun I had with the game, and that it is in constant use by me.

So, if a new game finds a continual home in my DS for the purposes of collecting off of Wi-Fi, or just needing to be in a rotation, I think it is a form of publicity. Not direct marketing type publicity, but the game can continually draw attention.

I don't think Shipwreck is an idiot, far from it. But, it was hilarious to hear Mrs. S call him an idiot.

All in all, another great podcast, I just want more.

#29 stonefry

stonefry

Not stoned or fried!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

I will listen to the show no matter what the format. But it needs to be audio for sure. I look forward to every Foreplay!

#30 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Had the dual pleasure of having you guys back on the air and the show opening with music from one of my favorite games of all time. I was a little shocked that neither of you had played it. You definitely should, since I know both of you (especially Mrs. Ship) are fans of point-and-click adventures. Being an adventure game fan and not having played The Secret of Monkey Island is a bit like being a fan of science fiction films and not having seen Star Wars! Same goes for the second and third games in that series...really all the LucasArts adventures from that period.

I sincerely hope you guys keep doing the show. I like the writeups, but it's the podcast that I really look forward to. One idea I had to make it easier on you guys AND Cheapy and Wombat is maybe to institute a weekly rotation, so that there'd be a Foreplay one week and CAGcast the next. Just a thought.