Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 $150 @ Buy.com

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyRuin

MikeyRuin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

$50 off these xbox360 headphones at buy.com. free shipping as well.

http://www.buy.com/p...654&dcaid=17654
Sometimes you gotta salt the snail.

#2 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

I still don't understand what's so special about these headphones.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

They're overpriced so people automatically think they're great.

#4 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

They are also pretty much the only wireless headset that works with 360....

Anyways i ordered a pair of these using the 50% off accessory coupon from amazon. Think i paid $30 out of pocket and traded in a dozen crappy games i've had for 2+ years and couldn't sell so I can't complain. Hopefully they arrive soon.

#5 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

They're overpriced so people automatically think they're great.

That's what I figured. I understand they're headsets, and wireless.. but the wired headset plugs into a wireless controller.. so..

The only headset that I would approve of for that price is a Bose headset, which I already have. Granted, there's no mic for XBox Live, but that could be a blessing.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

When I was a game tester, the company I worked for had us use these for sound. In my opinion, these were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a pair, let alone $150.

#7 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

That's what I figured. I understand they're headsets, and wireless.. but the wired headset plugs into a wireless controller.. so..

The only headset that I would approve of for that price is a Bose headset, which I already have. Granted, there's no mic for XBox Live, but that could be a blessing.

Not that I think these things are great or even a deal, but I really think you are confusing headset with headphones. The headset plugs into the controller and you hear people talking. These allow you to hear the game as well as people talking so you don't disturb everyone in your house with loud gameplay.

2nd, saying this is overpriced (which I likely agree with) but not a Bose headset. :roll:

#8 derspiess

derspiess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

I hope to find out tonight :D

#9 SoulReaver

SoulReaver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

They are also pretty much the only wireless headset that works with 360....

Anyways i ordered a pair of these using the 50% off accessory coupon from amazon. Think i paid $30 out of pocket and traded in a dozen crappy games i've had for 2+ years and couldn't sell so I can't complain. Hopefully they arrive soon.

X3's are wireless as well
Free 360 game by completing 2 offers. If you don't believe it just give it a shot. I spent $4 to get Dead Space. $13 to get Madden 10. PM me if you need help.

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=234233

#10 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

I actually paid 12.99 for mine. And here is how.

Amazon trade in $50 and get 50 % 0ff

So, my amazon price was 159.99 (right now they bumped it to 166.99)

- 80.00 (50% off deal)
- 51.00 (trade in amount)
- 16.00 (ECA 10% discount, sign up it will save u money)
--------------------------------------------------------
12.99 (final price)
"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. " - Layer Cake

#11 MikeyRuin

MikeyRuin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

I think I remember from a CAGcast long ago that both Cheapy and Wombat used these headphones and had nothing but positive things to say about them (except maybe for the price).
Sometimes you gotta salt the snail.

#12 RoundeRx54

RoundeRx54

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

A bit pricey but I am going to give them a shot. I need a good wireless solution.

#13 rywateska

rywateska

Sorry for partying.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

There were multiple Cagcasts where both of them applauded these left and right.

I nearly went out and dropped the cash to pick them up - still might! A good deal on eBay is around $110-$120 with free shipping, check there first.

Posted Image

#14 ilivas

ilivas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

even then bose headset is kinda crappy.

#15 captainfrizo

captainfrizo

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

I have the X4 and love them. They're comfortable (although that trait will always vary from person to person) and the 5.1 sound works extremely well. I was quite surprised at how good they are.

#16 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

1. Wireless Dolby 5.1 sound
2. Integrated Xbox Live chat (plugs into controller). You can adjust the volume independently, and it's mixed in with the game sound. When you wear a regular XBL headset, you've got something blocking one of your ears, so you basically lose a lot of what makes surround sound so good!
3. Comfortable (subjective)

My only complaint is that there is some slight hiss which is apparently caused by plasma tv interference. Still, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

#17 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

The headphones are nice. But $150 is definitely not worth it. If they were useable with more than the 360 (no mic with computer usage), then I'd reconsider...But being a longtime owner (4 days), and having paid full retail price (-$3.42)....I can tell you that these headphones are definitely nice but weren't worth $150.

Really, it's up to you...If you're willing to spend $150 for headphones and a mic for the 360, go ahead...These are definitely the best choice.

Posted Image
For the Earthbound fans...Visit this SMAAASH ing link!
Posted Image

#18 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here. My main complaint with the headphones was that the ear pieces were not large enough to properly cup my ears like they should. They seemed to press down on the edges of my ears which left them feeling very irritated and sweaty once I removed the headset.

Take into account that I have mid to large size ears (not huge, but I'd say they are bigger than normal), and I was wearing the headset for 4 - 5 hours straight three times a day, seven days a week, for two months. It's pretty easy for a headset to get uncomfortable in those conditions. Man, I hated crunch time.

#19 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

The X4's are fantastic.

Anyone who's going to scoff at them and mention Bose in the same sentence probably won't notice a difference anyway.

Pretty much every serious A/V forum on the spacewebs agree: Bose is trash.

#20 pokadotpowerpuff

pokadotpowerpuff

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Really interested in picking these up but does anybody know if there's any headsets up there like this that works with the 360 AND PS3? I know it's probably too good to be true but one can always dream right? :D

#21 Kush

Kush

Pixelated Sausage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

I've heard many good things about these headsets, but even at this discounted price I can't justify a purchase.

#22 iluvmywife

iluvmywife

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

These headsets are pretty nice. I stop using my surround sound and instead use these headsets most of the time.

Great when you don't want little ears to hear mature language when playing titles like COD4 or WaW.

#23 sunnysky

sunnysky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP. But I'm still holding out until they go under $100. I imagine they will at holiday time. Or if they come out with X5's eventually.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Falso+Reality"][/URL]

#24 sunnysky

sunnysky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

$139 at Best Buy, if you can find them in stock.
They have stopped stocking them.
I've got mine hooked up directly to my Stereo Receiver's Optical Output connection. So I can watch all of my 5.1 sources with these (blu ray, hd-dvd, dish hd, 360).
So far, I like em.
A little hiss. But very little.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Falso+Reality"][/URL]

#25 J7.

J7.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

So are there any 5.1 headphones people recommend instead of these, I'm just looking for 5.1 and don't care about the chat function, wireless would be nice. Here is what I found on Amazon, most of these compatible with the 50% off code.

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset with Microphone (too expensive for me, not sure what that analog allows connections for)

Ear Force X4 Dolby Digital Wireless (Headphones) (Not sure if its worth the cost above the X3 or X1)

Sennheiser PC 350 Gaming Headset (look like may be PC only, though Amazon lists them as PS2)

Ear Force X3 Headset: Chat + Wireless Game Audio, for Xbox 360 (don't know how good they are compared to X4)

Creative Labs 51EF0210AA003 Fatal1ty USB Gaming Headset with Sound Blaster X-Fi Technology (Black)

Ear Force P21 Gaming Headset for PlayStation 3 (Not out till mid August)

TekNmotion Pulsar SX PC Gaming Headphone (Supposedly these will work with PS3 dont know how... maybe through its "The Pulsar SX supports both 7.1 channel virtual surround sound using a USB 2.0 connector and 2.1 channel stereo sound using a standard 3.5-millimeter audio plug."
Pretty awesome for only $60.)

Ear Force X1 Stereo Headset with Chat (looks nice and cheap)

These are not eligible for the 50% off but they really seem like they might be better than others above for gaming on consoles including the X4.

TRITTON AXPRO True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset for XBOX, PS3 and PC Gaming.

Tritton AX360 True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset

#26 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

1. Wireless Dolby 5.1 sound
2. Integrated Xbox Live chat (plugs into controller). You can adjust the volume independently, and it's mixed in with the game sound. When you wear a regular XBL headset, you've got something blocking one of your ears, so you basically lose a lot of what makes surround sound so good!
3. Comfortable (subjective)

My only complaint is that there is some slight hiss which is apparently caused by plasma tv interference. Still, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

It is also caused by having your headphones and receiver in the sunlight, because they used IR waves which are also emitted by sun. So, try to keep it in a dark place.
"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. " - Layer Cake

#27 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:32 AM

I am selling mine on ebay for 139.99 w. free shipping. They are brand new.

http://shop.ebay.com...QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

#28 J7.

J7.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

I am selling mine on ebay for 139.99 w. free shipping. They are brand new.

http://shop.ebay.com...QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Are you selling 2 pairs?

#29 DarkBruce85

DarkBruce85

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

I have the X3 model I got cheap thanks to some gift cards and i like them a lot. But if im going to shell out alot more for some really good ones I would rather get the MLG headset.

#30 sstcrush

sstcrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

I have the X3 model I got cheap thanks to some gift cards and i like them a lot. But if im going to shell out alot more for some really good ones I would rather get the MLG headset.

Dont Get the MLG Headset, i personally have the x3's and got them @ $20 outta pocket thanks to some sponsors, but even x1's are alright if your just play gamebattles or being a pub*

Posted Image

Posted Image