New SMB Wii free collector's upgrade at GS

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Akridsky

Akridsky

Flipping for dollars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Did a search and couldn't find anything. Stopped by GS this morning and was told that they are offering a free upgrade to the collector's edition of New Super Mario Bros Wii when you pre-order the game. I asked what was in the collector's edition and all they knew was that there was supposed to be some additional characters. Hope someone finds this useful.

Update: After further conversations with other, different employees, it's claimed to be a Gamestop exclusive version of the game rather than a collector's edition. Looking for confirmation from someone else.

Edited by Cindaddy, 11 August 2009 - 02:14 AM.

#2 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I didn't realize Nintendo was in the "collector's / limited edition" game now

#3 SilentStryk09

SilentStryk09

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever. They (almost) never include anything special for within the game.

#4 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

I hope this is not true. I'm a Nintendo fanboy and this is the last thing I need.

#5 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever.

If it's a free upgrade, where's the scam?

#6 silent h3ro

silent h3ro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

If it's a free upgrade, where's the scam?

...exclusive to GameStop :roll:

#7 darkeden

darkeden

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Im getting it thanks..... its not really a scam if its free.

#8 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hmm....I love Galaxy, and love New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, but I'm iffy on whether I'll like this. Seems like it's basically multiplayer only? In which case no interest. Seems kind of Smash Bros. esque, wish spastic characters flying around.

BUT if I'm getting the wrong impression, and it'll be as good as New, I'd definitely go for it :-/
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#9 RandyTsai

RandyTsai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever. They (almost) never include anything special for within the game.

that and downloadable content.

Posted Image

#10 mikejenks

mikejenks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Its a Wii game, I will wait for it to be $19.99 bargain bin in a few weeks.

Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 bb4lake

bb4lake

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.

Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P

#12 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

Did a search and couldn't find anything. Stopped by GS this morning and was told that they are offering a free upgrade to the collector's edition of New Super Mario Bros Wii when you pre-order the game. I asked what was in the collector's edition and all they knew was that there was supposed to be some additional characters. Hope someone finds this useful.

I'm not sure I buy this until we get confirmation from an ad or an employee. Nintendo's done bonuses, but almost always in the form of swag or (in a few cases) a bonus disc. They'd be one of the last companies that I'd imagine giving in to GameStop's growing content monopoly. I could be wrong...but on the other hand, random GameStop employees aren't exactly the most reliable source.

I am hoping they're wrong; this kind of exclusive is fucking bullshit. Making content exclusive to one retailer for a very short period of time means that the vast majority of gamers will miss out on it. Of course, this is assuming your GameStop gets enough copies of the bonus for everyone who preorders, or that the employees won't take the codes themselves or hand them out to their friends.

But I digress.

And Collectors Edition with DLC as the "value" collectible item means it has practically zero value.

Remember all the Victims who paid $80 for the Street Fighter 4 collectors Edition, and GS sold it new for $20 plus even the collectors edition had to pay extra for the Secondary costumes.

When did GameStop sell the collector's edition of the game new for $20? I specifically remember that it wasn't included in the sale a few weeks ago.

That said, the first sentence of your post shows you're an idiot anyway. mikejenks speaks the truth.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#13 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P

That's for a used copy close to three years after release...as part of a one week sale, with the Edge card included. I think you just proved his point.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#14 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play (last I heard, I didn't have it)...

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#15 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play...

I 100% agree, I can't believe its not going to include it. Although if the collector's edition has a sweet bonus disk with old games on it I might pick it up.

#16 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play (last I heard, I didn't have it)...

The Wii or the game? :-# I kid I kid (I think)

I'm with an above poster in that it looks like it will be enough of a co-op focused game to enjoy as a single-player. Not sure why they needed to mess with the formula as NSMB proved there is still constant demand for more of the same.
Posted Image

#17 AdultLink

AdultLink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?

Personally, sounds to me like GS is trying to get people to preload by lying...
Posted Image Posted Image

#18 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?

Personally, sounds to me like GS is trying to get people to preload by lying...

They did the same thing with Prince of Persia if I remember correctly. Free upgrade to collectors edition by preordering.

#19 Codemaster

Codemaster

Project 2501

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

They did the same thing with Prince of Persia if I remember correctly. Free upgrade to collectors edition by preordering.

Amazon had that deal also.

#20 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

Super Paper Mario is still $50 too, and much like TP it was also a Gamecube port that came out early in the Wii's life. Nintendo gets popular again and the first thing they do is ditch Players' Choice =/

If Nintendo starts doing CEs I can't wait to pick up my deluxe copy of Metroid Other M, complete with a phazon-detecting night-vision Samus helmet.

---

#21 Akridsky

Akridsky

Flipping for dollars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'm not sure I buy this until we get confirmation from an ad or an employee. Nintendo's done bonuses, but almost always in the form of swag or (in a few cases) a bonus disc. They'd be one of the last companies that I'd imagine giving in to GameStop's growing content monopoly. I could be wrong...but on the other hand, random GameStop employees aren't exactly the most reliable source.

Understood. That's why I posted it here. I was told this today by an employee who was the only one there, so I was hoping someone could confirm. I hadn't even heard of a collector's edition. Naturally, I'm skeptical as well, but that is what I was told. Just passing it on. I'll stop by tomorrow and talk to someone else and see what they say.

#22 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:43 AM

Super Paper Mario is still $50 too, and much like TP it was also a Gamecube port that came out early in the Wii's life. Nintendo gets popular again and the first thing they do is ditch Players' Choice =/

Honestly, Player's Choice has always been a far off thought in Nintendo's mind. The Gamecube needed any footholds it could get, and the PC line came out years after release. And even then, it was basically only Nintendo and EA games that got PCed. On the GBA, there's like 7 Player's Choice titles, after they made a big loopla over starting it.

11317.png

#23 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

And Collectors Edition with DLC as the "value" collectible item means it has practically zero value.

Remember all the Victims who paid $80 for the Street Fighter 4 collectors Edition, and GS sold it new for $20 plus even the collectors edition had to pay extra for the Secondary costumes.

and when did the ps3 ce sfiv ever go "on sale?"

#24 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

Honestly, Player's Choice has always been a far off thought in Nintendo's mind. The Gamecube needed any footholds it could get, and the PC line came out years after release. And even then, it was basically only Nintendo and EA games that got PCed. On the GBA, there's like 7 Player's Choice titles, after they made a big loopla over starting it.

During the same time frame Sony had Greatest Hits even though they were number one two gens in a row, so I don't think that it can be characterized as a tactic that only comes about out of desperation. Whether or not Nintendo ever valued its PC line, I can't help but miss it. Back during the 64 and GC eras when I was a teenager and had a limited budget, PC (along with Sony's GH) gave me the chance to play a lot of stuff that I had to skip at release. At present I wouldn't need to use a PC program nearly as much as I once did, but I'd rather still have the option available than not, even if it was flawed/biased in favor of certain publishers.

---

#25 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:10 AM

I'd be much more interested if this game was going to include online multiplayer.

And if this is true, it's not really free, because it's almost certain that some store will have the game for less than $50 when it comes out, or have a B2G1 sale or something.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#26 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

It depends on what the "collector's upgrade" is before I'd even consider buying it from GS. It hardly free--GameStop typically sells all new titles at full MSRP when they come out. Unlike Amazon, which frequently knocks off a few bucks on brand new releases (New Super Mario Bros. Wii is listed as $47 now at Amazon). Also, when you buy with GameStop, you also have to pay the $3 - $5 extra for sales tax.

#27 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

I asked about this earlier today and they even showed me on the computer that there was only 1 version of smb coming out. I was going to preorder and asked what version were available. They said there is only one type or version of smb coming out.
So maybe either there is a miss communication involved or possibly a pre order bonus or something?
I did not see any info on the website or nintendo's site either?
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#28 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

could be a coin or something like they did with the last mario ?
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#29 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:49 AM

This sounds like a case of miscommunication or misinformation. That being said, if it's true, I find it funny that pisses people off that it's GameStop. Some of you seriously make me laugh with your hatred for a store.

#30 Hyrule Crusader

Hyrule Crusader

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a Collector's Edition of this game.