- - - - -

Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#1 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Welcome to the Official CAG Amazon.com Gold Box Quick Picks Thread

This thread's primary purpose is to clarify what Amazon.com's quick picks are and how to manipulate them.
PLEASE READ THE FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com Confirmed Quick Picks Info
(These games have been confirmed to show up, within
the last year, in your Quick Picks by CAG members)

:3ds:Nintendo 3DS
Spoiler

:wii:Nintendo WiiU
Spoiler

:pc:PC
Spoiler

:ps3:Playstation 3
Spoiler

:psp:PSV
Spoiler

:360:XBox 360
Spoiler

Strategy Guides
Spoiler

----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ (Updated 11/04/11)

I keep hearing about 'gold/quick picks'; what are people talking about?
This is referring to the Amazon Gold Box page which lists personal quick picks just below the gold box and best deals. You must be logged in with your Amazon account to view these and they're updated daily (note: actual update times vary from person-to-person and day-to-day).

What can appear in my Quick Picks?
Books, CDs, DVDs; just about anything Amazon carries but more importantly -- video games! In addition to games, strategy guides and accessories may also turn up. Consoles can pop up from time to time but are usually not eligible for long.

What exactly are Quick Picks?
Quick Picks are items selected specifically for you, accompanied by an additional savings coupon. For video games, it's always an additional 5% off the sale price. For example, a $60 game marked down to $56.99 will yield an additional $2.85 discount. With pre-orders this will only lock in the discount percentage, so a price drop will cause the actual amount of the discount to be recalculated.

Does this discount stack with other offers?
Absolutely. Manufacturer coupons, trade-in credit/promotional codes, et cetera will all stack with this discount. I challenge you to find something that doesn't.

I just got three games in my Quick Picks; how many am I allowed per day?
While Amazon stipulates that only one is allowed per day, you can choose as many as you want with some trickery. To pull this off, make sure to keep the original Gold Box page open until you've completed your order(s) and begin by right-clicking the 'Add to cart' button. Now select 'Open Link in New Window/Tab' and you should see the discount applied in your cart. Repeat this process from your original page for each item, then proceed to the checkout and finalize your order.

What disqualifies an item for Quick Picks?
Items in your wish list, cart, or existing purchases/pre-orders will not appear. Marking a game 'not interested/owned/rated' will also disqualify it, but for multi-platform titles it may or may not exclude it for other console(s). The reason why is some games have individual product pages and some do not, so you will need to check this yourself on a case by case basis (1). Canceled pre-orders will not disqualify a game from showing up again; this has been proven and the game can show up again as early as the next day. Additionally, Amazon must have the item flagged for eligibility to show up (there is no way of seeing this).

Lastly, while this generally holds true for most items, certain games will bend this rule and can still appear again despite any of the above.

Where can I read more about Quick Picks?
Here or

How can I contribute to this thread?
Ask questions not covered by the FAQ, tell us your personal success stories, or list your gaming quick picks of the day. Feel free to brag about what games you got in your quick picks today and how you did it!

Is there any way to improve my chances of getting Quick Picks I want?
YES! The second half of this thread will be detailing proven methods for making items appear in your Quick Picks tailored to what you're targeting.

Recommendations

Recommendations are based on three factors: purchases, items you've marked as owned, and items you've rated. Each of them contribute to what will appear on the page and are key to manipulating your Quick Picks. Let's start with some basics by removing items in the list that you have no interest in.

Step One
If you'll notice, each item in your recommendations has a check-box titled 'Not Interested' below it. Because each item here is a potential candidate for your Quick Picks, you will want to check this for items you never want to be selected. Alternatively, you may just want to remove the offending item that is generating the recommendation by clicking 'Fix this'.

Fixing an item will bring up a detailed list of why the item is being recommended. It will always be based on one of the three factors aforementioned and from here you can check 'Don't use for recommendations'. However, this will drastically reduce items on your list and could also remove recommendations for items you do want! Use this method only if you're confident it will not disturb recommendations you want, but you can always undo this later if it does. You may find that your recommendations are now empty! Not to worry, we're going to populate it with only the good stuff now.

Step Two
Start by searching for the exact game you want. For this example I will use Dark Souls. Scrolling down on the product description page you will notice a section entitled 'Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought'. These work just like your recommendations page since they're linked. From this list you will want to pick a game that is popular and very closely matches the style of game-play. Since DS is an action RPG, good choices would be Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted 3, or Mass Effect 3. Now, return to your recommendations page and use the search bar there to 'Search for items to rate' (you may need to specify what department). Tell Amazon that you own it and give it five stars for good measure. Going back to your recommendations, you should now see Dark Souls staring you in the face along with plenty of other games. Remember what we did in step one? Hop to it!

Pro-Tip
The last thing I want to touch on with recommendations is how much weight each of the three factors give. Purchases are the major factor in successfully getting games in your quick picks, but for newer accounts you will likely not have any. To remedy this, you can place a faux (fake) pre-order for one of the games you selected in step two (such as Uncharted 3) and rate it five stars once it shows up in your 'items you own' page. Make sure you pick a game that is not already released, as you will not be charged until it ships (this includes Amazon/game credit; they will be refunded immediately after canceling). Simply cancel it once the game you wanted shows up in your quick picks. By telling Amazon that you own the item and rating it can still get the game in there, but this is a surefire method.

Browsing History

This has no impact on Quick Picks whatsoever, since they're locally stored on your PC. However, it is an incredibly handy tool for narrowing down which games will factor into getting an item into your recommendations. After viewing a game, go to the Your Amazon page and you'll notice a section called 'Customers Who Bought Items in Your Recent History Also Bought'. These items absolutely pinpoint what you should own/rate. Afterward, just delete your browsing history to reduce the clutter.

Maintenance

Lastly, I can tell you from experience that like day old bread -- your recommendations begin to stagnate. If you notice a lull in getting games or the wrong games are appearing, it's because Amazon has no recent activity to go by. Cancel and re-order games that you were using to target stuff with or try pre-ordering other games that you think will get what you're after. Even if you do this daily, you can still get junk mixed in with games. If you still get nothing but junk daily, it's because either what you want isn't eligible to show up or you haven't picked the right combination of games to pre-order/own/rate.

Also, Amazon is constantly updating and so are recommendations. This means that you should keep an eye on your recommendations in case something new pops up in the list. Can't tell you how many times junk will hop into my Quick Picks instead of what I was aiming for because I didn't mark them not interested in time.

Final Word

While this may seem like a lot of work, it can be very rewarding and a meta-game of sorts. Just keep in mind you're still at the mercy of Amazon's luck of the draw, so don't get frustrated if games don't start showing up right away. Have fun with it and enjoy the extra savings. You've earned it!

Edited by Jodou, 30 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

MIA
Spoiler

Edited by Jodou, 16 July 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#3 argyle

argyle

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

Nice post. Here are some more games I can personally confirm I've gotten into my Quick Picks:

PS3:
Demon's Souls Deluxe Ed.
Ratchet & Clank Future 2
Dante's Inferno
Lost Planet 2
Last Rebellion
Resonance of Fate
Dead Rising 2
Agent

360:
Mass Effect 2
Crackdown 2

Wii:
Fragile: Farewell RotM
Arc Rise Fantasia
Metroid: Another M
Monster Hunter 3
Metroid Trilogy

PSP:
FF: Dissidia
MGS: Peace Walker
Resident Evil

PS2:
Mana Khemia 2

I've hit a dry spell recently. I'm trying to get Darksiders & Bioshock 2 (both ps3) in there, but no luck so far. Has anyone seen either of these in their Quick Picks?
Posted Image

#4 Shadowedge

Shadowedge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

Found today:
:360: Metal Gear Solid Rising
:ps3: God of War Collection

Thanks for starting this thread Jodou!

#5 Jerkapotamus

Jerkapotamus

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

I cleaned out my recommendation yesterday, and I had an absolute monster of a Gold Box today. I had God of War 3, God of War Collection, MAG, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and The Last Guardian. I pre-ordered all but MAG.

I also had the Watchmen graphic novel and the North States SuperYard XT Gate Play Yard, which is essentially a hexagonal cage. It reminds me of that raccoon catcher a bunch of us were getting a few weeks ago.

Good thread by the way OP. It covers just about everything to my knowledge. :bouncy:

#6 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the lists, guys. I cleaned up the format a little and made some changes for easier reading.

God Of War Collection appears to be the big addition today as everyone but me seems to have had it show up! It did pop up in my recommendations 'magically', so it's only a matter of time now. I can confirm Halo 3: ODST, as it was my lone pick today. Pass. . .

#7 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

I've had Final Fantasy XIII Versus (PS3) show up in my Quick Picks. I got Scribblenauts yesterday
Posted Image

#8 argyle

argyle

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

I also had the GoW Collection today, along with Monando: Beginning of the World (Wii). I had never heard of Monando before, but it looks cool so I put a preorder down on it. The price is obviously wrong right now (I've never seen a $60 retail Wii game before), but since the 5% discount is what you're locking in anyway I went for it. :)
Posted Image

#9 Jerkapotamus

Jerkapotamus

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

My quick picks today

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
Agent (PS3)
Lost Planet 2 (PS3)

#10 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thanks guys, thread updated.

Re-rated a few games yesterday and got GoW: Collection today. :D

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#11 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hmm; maybe I'll cancel my ODST order and try to get it to show up in my quick picks. Thanks OP

#12 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

has anyone seen assassin's creed 2 for 360 show up in their quick picks yet?

#13 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Got Golden Sun and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in my quick picks today. Awesome.
Posted Image

#14 RoodyPooUS

RoodyPooUS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Got Uncharted 2 yesterday.

#15 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

I know I've had all of the following show up in my quick picks:

Spoiler

Edited by BlueLobstah, 08 September 2009 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#16 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

Today I have:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360)

In the past handful of days I've had:
GT5 (PS3)
GoW3 (PS3)
The Last Guardian (PS3)
and others I don't remember...

I've only been doing this for a few days so I'm happy with my results so far... (Though I've yet to buy anything... I know GoW3 is getting a collector's edition and I want to see it before I preorder the regular edition.)

I do have a few questions... (PMed answer are welcome if it makes the thread easier to read.)

1) If you get a game at full price 59.99 and they later adjust it to the 56.99 price does this get adjusted into your final price or are you stuck with the original price? (Basically, is it worth picking up the full price game or is it better to wait and try to manipulate the system later on?)

2) If you've already preordered a game yet cancel it does it make it so you can never get the item in your gold box or not? (I've used amazon for awhile now without trying to take advantage of the personal gold box deal.)

Things I've noticed...

Amazon adds everything you've bought to your 'owned list' when you buy it and not just if you've marked it as owned. For me this lead to lots of books (mostly 3 for 4 paperbacks) that I had to clean up (mark as don't use for recommendations) so I would start getting more video games in my daily deal.

#17 dvdactor

dvdactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

These are only Pre-order titles that I haven't seen listed yet, right now all for 360:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Halo Reach
NHL 10
Qubed
Raiden IV

These I got in the Spring, canceled when I got ECA about a month ago and haven't seen again :(

Alien vs Predator
Dante's Inferno
Dead Rising 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

There's a few others I will contribute when I remember or get time to sift through my e-mail confirmations/cancellations.

#18 sabanoo

sabanoo

I like pie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

Got Shiren the Wanderer (Wii) in my quick picks today.
I've also had Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for Wii.
For DS I've had Nostalgia in my quick picks. I know I've had a bunch of other DS games (most of them already mentioned) but I think that's it...

#19 Caddywompus21

Caddywompus21

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

I've been able to filter my Goldbox to get any Nintendo title EXCEPT for Warioware D.I.Y.

I can't figure out why. First, I though it was because of no cover art because I could never get Pokemon HG/SS in my gold box until they gave it unofficial box art. But that theory is gone cause I have Sin and Punishment 2 with no Box art.

I've been able to get seriously any other title in my Gold box.

[i'll just post what hasn't already been mentioned, most are preorders]

NDS
Infinite Space
Pokemon HG/SS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Phantasy Star Zero
Sands of Destruction

Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Red Steel 2
Sin and Punishment 2
Wii Fit Plus
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Resident Evil: Dark Side Chronoicles
Muramasa
Little King's Story
A Boy and His Blob
Final Fantasy CC Crystal Bearers
The Conduit
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Rabbids Go Home
Trauma Team

One tip I offer on Pre-orders is if a game has a related product like a different version (Pokemon) or accessory (Wii Fit Plus Bundle) or even a strategy guide (Scribblenauts). I would rate and pre-order that item and with a day or 2 I received the opposite game in my Quick Picks.

#20 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Let's see if you can help me, because either I'm a retard or it just will not work for me.

No matter what I do, I seem to get crap. Like, for 2 months straight. In those two months I've seen fossil fighters twice, dissidia twice, scribblenauts twice, uncharted 2 twice and ffxiii versus once. I pre-ordered versus, didn't get any of the others. I only got versus by doing some fake pre-orders. Oh and I think like mario kart once or twice. And pretty much all of the manipulation was just trying to get 360/ps3 games anyway, not portables.

So what do I need to do? I've tried going through my rated and bought items, deleting or unrating them all, coming out of the page and going back into to re-rate them(though I've probably missed some whenever I do it). I've had lots of games in my recommendations, I've had very little. I have tried using my cart, pre-orders, wishlist, browsing history or the I own/5 stars all at different times over the past 2 months, my results are what I posted up there. Still I get nothing. Cds, movies, books, and then absolute junk like electronic scarecrows and fertility tests.

Oh and as for actual gaming purchases, I bought a ps3 controller, batman AA CE on ps3 and then the pre-order of Versus. Not a ton of buying yet, and that may be my only option to get the ball rolling on quick picks, I don't know.

#21 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

1) If you get a game at full price 59.99 and they later adjust it to the 56.99 price does this get adjusted into your final price or are you stuck with the original price? (Basically, is it worth picking up the full price game or is it better to wait and try to manipulate the system later on?)

Great question; I'll add this as part of the FAQ once I'm done adding games.

2) If you've already preordered a game yet cancel it does it make it so you can never get the item in your gold box or not? (I've used amazon for awhile now without trying to take advantage of the personal gold box deal.)

This is something I wanted to comment on but I can't confirm. It's my understanding that it CAN show up again if you cancel, but I've no personal experience with that happening.

Things I've noticed...

Amazon adds everything you've bought to your 'owned list' when you buy it and not just if you've marked it as owned. For me this lead to lots of books (mostly 3 for 4 paperbacks) that I had to clean up (mark as don't use for recommendations) so I would start getting more video games in my daily deal.

I'll see if I can't be more clear in making note of this, as I thought it was highlighted already in the FAQ.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#22 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Short answer, yes it can show up again.

I had something a while back that I canceled for some reason, and it later showed up in my quick picks. Of course there is no guarantee that it will, but pre-ordering then canceling doesn't exclude it apparently.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#23 namster1337

namster1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

I got Wii Punch Out as one of my quick picks today

#24 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Let's see if you can help me, because either I'm a retard or it just will not work for me.

Are you specifically trying to get a certain game? The fact that you are seeing games means you're doing something right, but to really target a game you best option is to make some fake pre-orders. There's no penalty for canceling (and it's a great way to 'store' ECA codes on your account in case they run out again) so go crazy and pick games that will focus on the ones you want.

Remember, some games just aren't flagged to show up in quick picks (MW2: Prestige Edition comes to mind), so that could be the problem. Also, everyone has lulls so you could just be having a run of bad luck.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#25 Cybolt

Cybolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

This seems like something that could be very helpful and if I can help out, all the better. On that note, here is what I have on my Quick Picks today:

Spoiler

One question: Should we include the % off listed for the quick picks or will it be random for each person?

#26 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

One question: Should we include the % off listed for the quick picks or will it be random for each person?

You didn't read the FAQ fully! :P

"For video games, it's an additional 5% off the sale price."

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#27 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Phew, updated. Thanks for the submissions guys, but I'm quickly running into a dilemma. As the list grows, I can see how it could quickly get out of hand and be cumbersome to navigate through. I'm carefully examining ways to slim down the list without playing favorites. Some options are to separate them into released and coming soon, or simply drop released games off the list.

The original focus was to help people identify what games they could shoot for using the FAQ and that generally means pre-orders. Since we cheap-asses tend to look for deals post-release, I'm thinking it would just be counter-productive to include anything past a week or so. Any suggestions?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#28 Cybolt

Cybolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:20 PM

So that's where it was. Dang reading comprehension. :wall:

#29 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

Again, tried fake pre-orders and the only game I have seen in my box since then(like 10 days ago) was versus and 2 ds games. And all the pre-orders/rating are for 360 and ps3 games, nothing for wii or ds ever which are the majority of my quick pick games.

So far my lull has lasted since I got eca and learned about quick picks, early this summer lol.

#30 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Again, tried fake pre-orders and the only game I have seen in my box since then(like 10 days ago) was versus and 2 ds games. And all the pre-orders/rating are for 360 and ps3 games, nothing for wii or ds ever which are the majority of my quick pick games.

So far my lull has lasted since I got eca and learned about quick picks, early this summer lol.

I went through the same thing when I first started messing with picks. For the first month or so I got nothing close to what I wanted and then it finally started to click. Since then I can generally target something and get it in the next day or two.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong and it sounds like you're an expert already. It's really annoying when everyone around you seems to get a gold box filled with five games they want after trying for a day! You could try stopping all activity for a week and just watch your picks. It's entirely possible too much activity or aiming for too many things at once can muck it up. Try aiming for the one game you really want and go from there.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg