Photo
- - - - -

Little King's Story Price Drop - $30 (at EB/GS so far)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 wildnuts02

wildnuts02

2 Real 4 U

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

I know this is also in the EB/GS weekly deal thread but I thought it would help to make a separate thread since this is a good game that came out recently.

EB/GS link (not available online right now)
Posted Image

#2 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Damn fine price. I wonder if its just temporary... One of my most anticipated wii games of the year, but I knew that the price would drop. Glad I waited it out.

#3 sadunk

sadunk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Other thoughts? Worth picking up? I've never heard of this game.

#4 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

I might have to pick it up. I got it from Amazon when it was the lightning deal for $25 a couple weeks back, but I got one of the bad discs. Right now they're only offering a refund since they haven't restocked, and if I can't get them to replace it at the same price I'll probably suck it up and pay the extra $5 since I really want to play this.

33126.png

#5 espionage

espionage

Aging Hardcore Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

excellent game.

here's a snippet of some of the impressions I wrote for it on my website:

The game takes the charming gameplay of Pikmin, but adds in a different theme this time around: you’re a king that has citizens that will follow you anywhere, and take on any occupations you want them to become. You can have footmen, hunters, farmers, etc. all in your growing “posse”, and as you travel the land you instruct them to perform tasks such as attacking enemies, digging holes, clearing the path, etc. As you explore the world, your goal is to conquer/kill bad guys (cutesy enemies) that are ruling/infesting your neighboring regions and by beating them, you can expand your empire further, allowing your towns to grow, new occupations to be learned, and more upgrades to be had. There is also a human element to the game as well, since each of your citizens has a name, can fall in love, marry and have children, and can be killed in battle.

http://espion4ge.wor...il-impressions/
Posted Image
My Gaming Blog: http://levelingdown.com

#6 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, shockingly this looked pretty cool when I read up on it.

I *guess* my Gamestop has it-has a little red...thing next to my closest one, and above it says "in stock as of...", so maybe all of the ones listed have it in stock.

Burn through some Gamestop credit (don't regret switching to Toys R Us so far...)
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#7 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

I might have to pick it up. I got it from Amazon when it was the lightning deal for $25 a couple weeks back, but I got one of the bad discs. Right now they're only offering a refund since they haven't restocked, and if I can't get them to replace it at the same price I'll probably suck it up and pay the extra $5 since I really want to play this.

Bad discs? :-s
Posted Image

#8 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

Bad discs? :-s

http://www.cheapassg...t=235948&page=4

Amazon has a note about it on the product page, they're not even selling it right now.

http://www.amazon.co...53288706&sr=8-1

33126.png

#9 botticus

botticus

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Really entertaining and sometimes addicting game, lots of content - I didn't do nearly all the quests and the like and I was in it for some 30 hours. Not without its flaws, but most of those were more about unfulfilled potential than taking away from the game. My only real complaint is that they didn't implement pointer controls.

Amazon seemed to be the only vendor with bad discs, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#10 Bulrog

Bulrog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Yeah I got bad discs too. The first one was defective so I asked them to send another. Turns out that the next one was defective as well. I'm going to have to return them both to get a refund.

#11 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

Game was worth it at release, even better at $30.

You could probably finish the game in 20~ hours if you didn't do any side quests, otherwise full completion could take anywhere from 30-40 hours. It's a really fun and entertaining game, the best Wii game I've seen this year so yes, pick it up.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#12 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

Yikes, what was defective about it? Is this a risk if you get it from Gamestop? I'm expecting Gamestop's return policy to be crappy, at best, so....

And how the hey did I miss this on Amazon for $25? :-/
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#13 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yikes, what was defective about it? Is this a risk if you get it from Gamestop? I'm expecting Gamestop's return policy to be crappy, at best, so....

And how the hey did I miss this on Amazon for $25? :-/

It was a lightning deal the first week in September. There's a description in the thread I linked, but basically you would put the disc in and the Wii started making all sorts of weird noises. It then told you it couldn't read the disc (some people said they didn't even see the game in the Wii start menu). Sounds like it was just a bad press that went to Amazon, since I haven't heard it reported widely. I'm sure your GS one will be fine, I've only heard complaints about the Amazon ones.

33126.png

#14 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Oh crud...my first Wii's drive just plain died, with the whole "making weird noises" thing. My second one clunks a bit too, sooooooo.

Oh well, guess I may go to Gamestop tonight to try to pick one up! I need to use all that credit anyway, and this did look pretty interesting. I think I was considering it back during a buy 2 get 1 free type sale, or something.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#15 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up OP. Been wanting this game!

#16 SirChadlyOC

SirChadlyOC

Leveling up builds character

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

My guess is that this is only a temporary price drop (for the time being) because the used price didn't change with it. Since this is on the weekly ad, they knew for a while that they were dropping the price, so the used most likely would have followed suit if it wasn't going to back up next week.

I would have bought this used at $26.99 + EDGE, but my backlog says don't get it new yet.

#17 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

http://www.cheapassg...t=235948&page=4

Amazon has a note about it on the product page, they're not even selling it right now.

http://www.amazon.co...53288706&sr=8-1

Interesting, never seen such a warning on any item by amazon before.

#18 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Cool that they're doing that-taking it seriously!
[LIST]

Posted Image

#19 mylasthope

mylasthope

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Awesome game. I couldn't recommend it enough. My copy from Amazon works, but the disc drive makes a lot of noise.

#20 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

Could this just be partly the Wii having a cheap drive? I mean like I said, I'm on my second, and it sounds iffy too-across all games. My first started out that way, and then just kept getting worse and worse and worse until things that were supposed to load transparently were taking a minute or two to do anything, and it kept "CLUNK...whiiiiiiir...CLUNK....whiiiiiiir" ing until it finally would load something (and then eventually woudln't even do that). The hardware's kind of garbage. (The SD slot is crazy slow...like my 16-bit Palm OS devices were faster...the GPUs on a lot of them failed, etc.) Not built like Nintendo's old hardware.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#21 Mysterio

Mysterio

Death to hoarders!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

Too bad my closest Gamestop doesn't have any sealed copies (big surprise!). Oh, they have used (i.e., unsealed) copies, but that's a no sale for me.

#22 vherub

vherub

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

such a good game, this type of game may not be for everyone- but if it is, there are few, if any that are better.

got it at launch through amazon so I could get an oni stress doll

#23 DrUnkAgAIn

DrUnkAgAIn

I like money.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

^Heh, when I bought it as a $30 Gold Box deal a couple weeks I got that doll too.

Pleasant surprise.

#24 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

Too bad my closest Gamestop doesn't have any sealed copies (big surprise!). Oh, they have used (i.e., unsealed) copies, but that's a no sale for me.

That's the main reason I'm switching to Toys R Us (I guess). So sick of not being able to get anything from Gamestop. Still going to risk a trip in because I *THINK* I saw some new copies up front a couple of days ago.

such a good game, this type of game may not be for everyone- but if it is, there are few, if any that are better.

What type of game is that? I *HATE* Harvest Moon, and I know there's some connection, but my understanding is you don't have to waste time talking to boring villagers or farming or anything.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#25 botticus

botticus

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

It's Pikmin meets My Life as a King. You can talk to people to your heart's content, but the core game involves selecting which people become what profession, who will be in your party, and what quests or bosses you lead your people out to tackle. More quests completed equals more money equals town expansion/profession upgrades/new quests/bosses equals more citizens.

As far as the boss progression goes, it's linear through the defeat of the first king, and after that you're free to pretty much go in whatever direction you choose.

#26 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

That SOUNDS really cool...I mean I love Pikmin, and My Life as a King looked cool...but I read Gamespy's review, and they say the save system is terrible, and the bosses are frustrating, which has me thinking I'll just skip it (or rent it some time).
[LIST]

Posted Image

#27 botticus

botticus

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Ugh, read any review besides that one, if I recall correctly. The save system requires you to sit on your throne and select "Save", basically. Returning to your throne is as simple as opening the menu when you're out in the field and hitting "2" to go back to the castle. The problem they had (again, as long as it's the review I'm thinking of) is that they kept forgetting to save, died, and then complained that they lost a lot of time because the save system sucked.

The bosses are generally pretty entertaining. Only one or two out of the 7 kings really bothered me (besides the end boss which was really really hard), and they're all very unique, not really boss battles in the sense you usually think (one is played pinball-style :lol:).

#28 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

What about getting BACK to where you were though? You have to slog through a bunch of stuff again? And it sounds like the boss fights can be creative, but also really frustrating, and you have to play through the whole thing again.

This really does sound interesting, but at the same time I hear "frustrating" or "hard" and run.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#29 Mysterio

Mysterio

Death to hoarders!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

The problem they had (again, as long as it's the review I'm thinking of) is that they kept forgetting to save, died, and then complained that they lost a lot of time because the save system sucked.

Lame. The reviewer probably grew up receiving trophies for finishing last in competitions.

#30 groundskeeper

groundskeeper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Anyone else notice this game is becoming hard to find? (Hard to find easily at least)
CAG Not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?