• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

From an IGN article

According to a report by the Financial Times, Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada believes that the successor to Nintendo's incredibly popular Wii videogame console will arrive in 2011. The Times is vague on details with regard to Wii 2, but paraphrases Wada as saying it should debut with "functionality more like that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3, and possibly a different controller."

If Wada is referring to more powerful hardware and the ability to output high-definition graphics, he's right. In a June 2009 interview with Venture Beat, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed that the successor to Wii would embrace the new HD age. "If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world."

Nintendo's Wii system debuted in November of 2006, which means that a 2011 release for Wii 2 would allow the console a traditional five-year life cycle. Sony's leaders have stated that they believe PlayStation 3 will enjoy a much longer life cycle. Could the same happen for Wii, which continues to outsell its competitors on a monthly basis? That all depends on whether or not Wii can continue to support innovative ideas that sell.

"As we continue our research and study for new hardware, when we will be able to launch a new kind of hardware will actually depend on when we can change entertainment completely, and so have a strong impact on people around the world," Iwata said during a financial briefing two years ago "Or, there will certainly be a time when we have to say that we have done everything possible with the current machine, that we can never propose anything new."

#2 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

I expect to see new consoles from Nintento, MS, and Sony around 2011-2012. So this isn't that big a deal. Sony probably means a ten year cycle like the PS1 and PS2 where they will sell both consoles alongside each other. So in like 2013 they will be selling the PS3 for $100 or so and the PS4 for $400.

#3 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

I dont think sony wants to jump that soon.. Microsoft may if they dont get the RROD handled, but still...

First out from N with HD graphics and Galaxy 2 or Zelda in HD.... I can see it happening.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#4 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'll be curious to see if Nintendo's next gen system is again well behind the other two technologically and at a lower price. Given how well it's worked out for them this time I wouldn't be shocked, though let's hope their next system can at least match the current offerings from MS and Sony.

33126.png

#5 'Cube Daddy

'Cube Daddy

Senator Valtome's stylist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

At this point, the proposition of starting over in 2 years does not at all sound appealing. If the games are made in a higher resolution with only the hardware limiting the output, then that's fine. But, if we start getting into Wii games vs. Wii 2 games, I'm walking. Screw that.

:wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
:wii: Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
Posted Image Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO

#6 tankass

tankass

Badass Mutha

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Can I be the first to call it the "WiiWii"? Hope this thing has BC cause I think the Wii is going to be one of the first systems I dont own, unless they release another zelda or something earth shattering.

EDIT:

Oh, and if they were to follow their current gameplan of successful systems, they wont release a Wii2, it will just be called the Wii light, with higher resolution and camera attatched.

#7 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'll be curious to see if Nintendo's next gen system is again well behind the other two technologically and at a lower price. Given how well it's worked out for them this time I wouldn't be shocked, though let's hope their next system can at least match the current offerings from MS and Sony.

Without them introducing another new and popular way to control games, I can't see them staying on top with a system that is well behind MS and Sony.

#8 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

I don't know what else to expect from Nintendo other than HD size graphics and a machine that can play them naturally.

That and BC, with maybe a VC license transition.

I don't need my Wii2 to play DVDs or Blurays, I already have that.

I don't need it to stream content from my HTPC that's already at my TV.

I think expecting more, or trying to make it more will lose the focus that Nintendo had. Great fun, prints money, loved by everything but the people here.

The biggest failure that they could help is better controls. And maybe not rape so much on every tidbit accessory. I have yet to purchase more than two Motion+ yet, one was a pack-in, and the other was a GB ECA accessory bonus for cheap at $16.

If they wrapped up all that from what they learned, and just make it do HD graphics, we really only have the software company to blame.

#9 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Without them introducing another new and popular way to control games, I can't see them staying on top with a system that is well behind MS and Sony.

It has served them well for this generation.

Look at the Gamecube; it was more powerful than the PS2 only slightly behind the XBOX, but was relegated to third place. With the Wii they have been able to produce a system that is not only affordable, but also selling well above a PS2 level given launch to today sales. There's little incentive at the moment to try and 1-up the PS3/360 in the graphical department.

Having said that, we are getting pretty close to Nintendo's typical console development cycle (5 years since SNES > 1991 > 1996 > 2001 > 2006), so it's not unreasonable to expect to see something in 2011. It's a tougher market to predict however, since I don't think anyone expects Sony or Microsoft to push their next system that soon, and I don't believe Nintendo has ever been at the forefront of a generation with a new console. So whether or not we'll see a replacement SKU model or a completely new console remains to be seen. Either way, if something does indeed get released in 2011 it'll be a completely new thing for Nintendo.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#10 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

I know they've done well this gen, but they came out with a new way to control how you play which became really popular. All I was saying is they can't expect to have the same lack of power under the hood compared to the other system offerings, not bring anything new to the table, and expect it to sell like the Wii based on the Nintendo name alone.

#11 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

they should have gone hd to begin with... fucking n

1080i is for douchebags

#12 ktims777

ktims777

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

First to say "iWii".

You know YOU want to^^

#13 youbastards

youbastards

Hey! Why so sexy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

If they are truly developing another new Zelda title based on Wii Hardware, and end up porting this to the new system ala Twilight Princess, i will be a sad panda.

Dear Nintendo - If you are going to launch another system with a Zelda game, PLEASE have it based on the hardware of the new system and not the hardware of the previous generation... ;)

#14 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

The Wii really just needs better graphics, space to download shit, an a better online service. It's really not much.

I think done right, FPS games are great for the Wii. The problem is that most FPS are all about looking great. That's something the Wii can't do at the moment. Metroid Prime Trilogy looks pretty good, but, it would look better in 1080p.

Even if they do stay a step behind to make things profitable, it would actually work out well for them.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#15 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'd be interested.

They need HD graphics, more storage space, totally revamped and improved online features, and a new controller/more buttons on the wii remote.

#16 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

they should have gone hd to begin with... fucking n

If the Wii had come out with HD graphics and motion controls, it would be in third place now. With HD graphics, it would need to launch at around $400-500 to be profitable. With a new controller design and motion controls, there would be too many question marks. Third parties would be baffled and even with first-party gems like TP, Mario Galaxy, MP3 in HD I don't think it would've been enough to win over the masses.

The Wii is in first place because it was accessible, both in price and in gameplay.

#17 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

If the Wii had come out with HD graphics and motion controls, it would be in third place now. With HD graphics, it would need to launch at around $400-500 to be profitable. With a new controller design and motion controls, there would be too many question marks. Third parties would be baffled and even with first-party gems like TP, Mario Galaxy, MP3 in HD I don't think it would've been enough to win over the masses.

The Wii is in first place because it was accessible, both in price and in gameplay.

Completely agree with this. Nintendo obviously made the right decision for the time. I question, though, whether or not they need to put out an HD Wii even now. When I see HDTVs in bars and in peoples homes, 99% of the time what do I see on them? SD content, even godawful stretched out SD content. Do most people care about HD? I don't know.

Then again, 2011 isn't *now*. Maybe 2011 is just right.

#18 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

Completely agree with this. Nintendo obviously made the right decision for the time. I question, though, whether or not they need to put out an HD Wii even now. When I see HDTVs in bars and in peoples homes, 99% of the time what do I see on them? SD content, even godawful stretched out SD content. Do most people care about HD? I don't know.

Then again, 2011 isn't *now*. Maybe 2011 is just right.

QFT... Oddly enough I would argue all three companies made "the right" decision, albeit with some mistakes along the way.

The PS3, while a financial drain for Sony, helped them win the Blu-Ray battle against Toshiba. If the division finally even comes close to breaking even then it has been a resounding win for the company.

The Xbox-360 has establish Microsoft as a player in the field for some time to come in ways much better than the Xbox. Xbox-Live despite its costs is second to none in online gaming, and has managed to put themselves into a position where games are coded for the 360 and ported to the PS3. Microsoft still has some serious bruises from their hardware failures, but if they have fixed those problems with the current chipsets and reinforce proper testing for future hardware, then Microsoft should be doing just fine for some time.

#19 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just to add...

http://www.gamespot....ws/6234350.html

seanr1221.png

#20 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

I hope it's just a black Wii with more internal memory, and WM+ packed in. They can do a full new console later following their DS model.

#21 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

I don't think Sony and MS are in any rush to get new systems out... Sony still doesn't turn a profit on their systems and MS is probably expecting Natal to extend the 360's lifespan.

For Nintendo, it would make sense to release a new system. The Wii's hardware limitations have been readily apparent after the first year or two.

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#22 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

The Wii's hardware limitations have been readily apparent after the first year or two.

I don't know if I want to outright laugh at that or ask more questions.

Which part of the hardware has been limiting the Wii?

#23 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I think a lot of it will depend on how the Sony wand and MS Natal do Christmas 2010. If it gives the Wii a run for it's money, I'd expect something ready for Christmas 2011. If not, they'll probably hold off as long as they can if it's still turning a profit (just look at the DS).

I'm sure the next Wii will be BC, Nintendo has always been about that. As for your VC games, I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell Nintendo will let them be carried over.

seanr1221.png

#24 LegendK1ll3r

LegendK1ll3r

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation (the GC can output better graphics), there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it), no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables, no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console), USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all), and that's just a few out of probably hundreds of hardware limitations.

The Wii's hardware sucks, quite frankly. This is coming from someone who has owned a Wii since launch. The fact that it can't even do simple things, or even output in HD for christ's sake, should show you how limited the hardware is currently. It's just slightly more powerful than a GC, with a new controller.

Hopefully the new Wii will actually fix those problems, and make it an actual system, instead of budget hardware.

Posted Image

#25 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Uh HD graphics? I am sorry but when emulator can do that your hardware got a serious problem.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#26 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation

Well, the 360 or PS3 doesn't have anything near next-generation either, to be fair.

(the GC can output better graphics),

...n...no. I'm pretty sure the Wii has more powerful hardware than the Gamecube.

there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it),

My NES and SNES don't play DVDs and I love those to this day.

no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables,

You mean official Component cables? Er, Wat?

And why would you need D/O sound output or HDMI on a console that doesn't output in HD or support 5.1 audio? It'd be a waste.

no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console),

Why do you need a ton of storage when the software on WiiWare or especially the Virtual Console is tiny?

USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all),

And this is Nintendo's fault?

The Wii's hardware sucks, quite frankly. This is coming from someone who has owned a Wii since launch. The fact that it can't even do simple things, or even output in HD for christ's sake, should show you how limited the hardware is currently. It's just slightly more powerful than a GC, with a new controller.

So? It plays games, it plays them well, and it's fun. Why does it matter if it's in "HD" or not? A movie watched on DVD is just as good as a movie on Blu-Ray. Seeing Citizen Kane on DVD instead of Blu-Ray doesn't automatically make it a worse film.

You people are getting your panties in a wad. The fact of the matter is that the Wii has a bunch of games that are tons of fun. Isn't all that matters? The best graphics in the world aren't going to make a bad game good.

Most importantly if you don't like the Wii or it's games, why the hell can't you just shut up and enjoy whatever you like to play? What does endless bitching acccomplish?

Sometimes I think you're all secretly jealous that you don't get the awesome software Nintendo puts out on your console of choice, or maybe you're just too poor to afford a Wii? I dunno, I just can't seem to understand why you would go out of your way to shit on something that you don't like. One would think that if there's nothing on the Wii you want to play you'd just ignore it, not go "GRAH WHAT THE Fuck IS WRONG WITH YOU WHY ARE YOU ENJOYING IT?"

oIi9lub.png

#27 vherub

vherub

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

mediocre games are definitely improved by better graphics. I don't think the wii needs more mediocre games, though. It needs more awareness for wii owners to get the good games.

Little King's Story, for example, is a gem. The graphics are great, even on a larger tv, the gameplay is solid and it is fun, independent of resolution.
But it didn't sell too well, and it probably wouldn't sell more if the wii output in 720p. On the Wii, higher quality does not yield more sales, it's a shame. I don't know if an HD Wii would change that.

As for storage, the Wii definitely needs more storage space. Even an internal 4gb would be huge. I have a dozen wiiware titles, and it is a pain to shuffle them around, even with the ability to play off the sd card, it's a patchwork solution. Demos for disc games would also be nice. And wiiconnect 24 is terrible. Having to turn it on to access the nintendo channel??! just turn it on for me when I access the channel, then turn it off afterwards if I don't want it on all the time heating up the system.

#28 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation (the GC can output better graphics), there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it), no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables, no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console), USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all), and that's just a few out of probably hundreds of hardware limitations.

Hopefully the new Wii will actually fix those problems, and make it an actual system, instead of budget hardware.

maximumzero already nullified your comment. I need not add to it.

Uh HD graphics? I am sorry but when emulator can do that your hardware got a serious problem.

And it's all about one thing... HD.

Would there be any chance of any game coming over that wouldn't be exclusive that would require HD?

Besides RE4, Zelda, and Metroid..... come on... what other game would "be better" in HD? Mario Galaxy 2? LMAO

I'm quoting vherub, good point.

mediocre games are definitely improved by better graphics. I don't think the wii needs more mediocre games, though. It needs more awareness for wii owners to get the good games.

Little King's Story, for example, is a gem. The graphics are great, even on a larger tv, the gameplay is solid and it is fun, independent of resolution.
But it didn't sell too well, and it probably wouldn't sell more if the wii output in 720p. On the Wii, higher quality does not yield more sales, it's a shame. I don't know if an HD Wii would change that.

As for storage, the Wii definitely needs more storage space. Even an internal 4gb would be huge. I have a dozen wiiware titles, and it is a pain to shuffle them around, even with the ability to play off the sd card, it's a patchwork solution. Demos for disc games would also be nice. And wiiconnect 24 is terrible. Having to turn it on to access the nintendo channel??! just turn it on for me when I access the channel, then turn it off afterwards if I don't want it on all the time heating up the system.

HD isn't everything... if it was... WoW would be in HD... it clearly isn't. I rest my case.

Please put all epeens back your pants.

#29 M-PG71C

M-PG71C

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Problem is, games like Little King Story (Or Muramasa, or even Madworld) are not going to sell gangbusters on the Wii...or any platform for that matter. People can argue but those are niche games, the sales are going to be flat/low regardless of platform.

But, and this is the big one, it would be more profitable on the Wii versus other consoles because the costs needed to make the game are much lower.

So with that said, those kinds of games are going to be more successful on the Wii, and they have been. Each one of them have brought in very respectable figures. That is why we continue to see those kind of niche titles hit the Wii, and that is also why I believe the truly hardcore are not bitching about the Wii either. It does have some very high quality software hitting the platform. Yes, there is a sea of shovelware, but no worse than what was on the NES or even PS2/PSOne.

Gamers have a short memory, that and I think that regardless of what Nintendo does, they are always going to be "shit on" by gamers. It has been that way since the SNES and things have not changed regardless of where they stand in the marketplace.

Personally speaking, I think the Wii is the best damn Nintendo console to come out since the SNES, in fact, it is my primary platform with my PS3 being my secondary.That hasn't happened since I was a kid lol :P
Posted Image

#30 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I'll echo the last few comments. The Wii is just fine for your average user.

The Wii wasnt HD for one simple reason, the Wii is a die shrunk Gamecube with a couple of other enhancements included in the package.

It is amazing that the addition of the Wiimote and a couple of demo games (Wii Sports) moved so many units. The Wii in its current retail configuration and price still sells more units than the Xbox 360. Does Nintendo have to do anything? Not in the least for a while it would seem. Heck, how many of us have seen Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to under 30 or 20-inch HD TVs or even older CRT units?

This isnt to say that the Wii is perfect, far from it, but its limitations arent felt by the average user.

Personally, the storage limitations and severely limited online system are huge failures, but I assume and hope Nintendo will address them a bit better in whatever system is the successor to the Wii.

I'm disappointed my personal pet peeve doesnt get more attention, which is the lack of a license transfer tool. Officially, Nintendo's stance is that downloads are tied to one single unit. I have zero incentive to purchase a DSi XL or move to call it the Wii 2 if Nintendo doesnt rectify this at some point.