Photo
- - - - -

Did Infinity Ward give in to production demands of the Prestige Edition?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Galego23

Galego23

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

So, perhaps you all re-call about 2 months ago Robert Bowling from IW was interviewed if indeed the Prestige Edition would be "limited" or if it'd be another Halo 3 Legendary Edition that would sit on store shelves for years dramatically de-valuing in price over time.

Robert Bowling, community manager for Infinity Ward has said that the night-vision-goggle-equipped Prestige Edition of Modern Warfare 2 will be very limited, and is aimed directly at the extremely hardcore fans.

“We’ve already been asked by retailers to up the production numbers due to demand, which we immediately denied.”

“We decided from the beginning that we want this to be for the hardcore fans and early adopters. The fact that it is actually limited is one of the coolest parts, which is why we’ve individually numbered every copy.”

Like 2 or 3 weeks ago, this seemed to be a very true statement as major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop(perhaps others) were all sold-out with the Prestige Edition. Today it turns out that both GameStop and Amazon have the Prestige Edition again available.

Does this mean they have upped the production on what was supposed to be a "limited" product? I really hope not, or else this is going to be Halo 3 Legendary all over again.

http://www.amazon.co...54508363&sr=8-1

http://www.gamestop....roduct_ID=75518

#2 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Serves the people who buy this right if it does end up being another Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

That's the chance you take when you're suckered into buying this crap.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#3 Galego23

Galego23

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Serves the people who buy this right if it does end up being another Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

That's the chance you take when you're suckered into buying this crap.

how does that make any sense?

#4 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'm sure this had more to to do with Activision than IW.

Posted Image

#5 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

how does that make any sense?

Sorry yeah I realize that may have been a bit over-complicated, I'll simplify it for you

Fuck stupid people, they deserve to get fucked over.

Good enough?

Yes I hope they have upped production and have a million of these editions stacked in a warehouse somewhere ready to ship out to the mouth-breathing masses. Then I hope it turns up an Amazon a few months later for $50 so all those people who paid $150 for it realize how stupid they are.

Simple enough for you ?

Edited by benjamouth, 02 October 2009 - 07:49 PM.

MST3K.gif

#6 Galego23

Galego23

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

you haven't been banned yet? amazing.

Let's be real here, you being the idiot that you are failed to get in on the numerous amount of trade-in deals available that could have landed you the Prestige Edition for let's say, free? Or even more than half off, I got mine for $20.00

If you were smart, you would have taken advantage of that, then bought a separate copy and sell the Prestige Edition for way more than MSRP.

On a seperate note, you need to go masturbate. That pent up frustration is bad for you.

#7 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

The CAG flippers will whine since this will threaten "their profit".

Posted Image

#8 ktims777

ktims777

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

In for 1 when it goes down to $50 after 6 months like Legendary editions of Halo 3 did.

#9 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

Let's be real here, you being the idiot that you are failed to get in on the numerous amount of trade-in deals available that could have landed you the Prestige Edition for let's say, free? Or even more than half off, I got mine for $20.00

If you were smart, you would have taken advantage of that, then bought a separate copy and sell the Prestige Edition for way more than MSRP.

On a seperate note, you need to go masturbate. That pent up frustration is bad for you.

Banned for what exactly, disagreeing with you, don't flatter yourself chief.

I've got no interest in the game for 1 and 2 I choose not to support "packed in plastic crap" editions of games. I look forward to the usual complaining when this turns out to be another "limited" edition that's about as limited as Nitrogen is in our atmosphere.

On your final point though, agreed.

MST3K.gif

#10 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

So, perhaps you all re-call about 2 months ago Robert Bowling from IW was interviewed if indeed the Prestige Edition would be "limited" or if it'd be another Halo 3 Legendary Edition that would sit on store shelves for years dramatically de-valuing in price over time.

Like 2 or 3 weeks ago, this seemed to be a very true statement as major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop(perhaps others) were all sold-out with the Prestige Edition. Today it turns out that both GameStop and Amazon have the Prestige Edition again available.

Does this mean they have upped the production on what was supposed to be a "limited" product? I really hope not, or else this is going to be Halo 3 Legendary all over again.

http://www.amazon.co...54508363&sr=8-1

http://www.gamestop....roduct_ID=75518

Who cares, video games aren't a good investment, and anybody who actually buys these limited editions thinking they are valuable should learn from this experience in the future. If you like the product they are offering, go ahead and buy it, but don't be so naive to think that limited or collector's means anything other than a fancy box.

I buy and own lots of limited/collector's editions when they drop in price, I like when they overproduce them, often stores will clearance out these sooner than the regular edition so I get an even better deal.

#11 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Who cares, video games aren't a good investment, and anybody who actually buys these limited editions thinking they are valuable should learn from this experience in the future. If you like the product they are offering, go ahead and buy it, but don't be so naive to think that limited or collector's means anything other than a fancy box.

Yep. Buy something because you want it. People who buy stuff to resale for profit and pretty useless IMO. Get a real job.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#12 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

They're interested in selling as many at $150 as possible. Not making sure your collectors edition holds its value.

#13 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

They're interested in selling as many at $150 as possible. Not making sure your collectors edition holds its value.

I actually don't recall there being any mention of the specific number of units being produced. But I honestly can't imagine Activision limiting production... they know people are going to buy this- it's basically free money. As already said, this is basically going to end up like the Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

Currently playing:

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#14 Galego23

Galego23

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

I actually don't recall there being any mention of the specific number of units being produced. But I honestly can't imagine Activision limiting production... they know people are going to buy this- it's basically free money. As already said, this is basically going to end up like the Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

The exact number is not known but each edition (PS3, 360) has a 6-digit number(this is known with the unboxing of the Prestige Edition video) which shows that one as being 000001, so many people have assumed that it would be an even number like 500,000 for PS3 and 360 each.

#15 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

The CAG flippers will whine since this will threaten "their profit".

I can't wait.

I've learned that the trick with limited editions is to pay attention to who's releasing them. If it's a company like Blizzard, NISA, or Square Enix (especially the Japanese arm), then I have faith that their LEs really are limited and should hold their value or go up. With certain others, there's less of a guarantee.

It should be taken as a warning sign whenever a hard number of copies for an individually-numbered LE has not been revealed. Either way, low-numbered sets might hold their value in the long run, but getting one of those is almost always a crapshoot.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#16 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:15 AM

There were no trade in deals for the prestige edition. Maybe that Amazon thing, but I used that on something I would actually find some use for and not a special edition of a game. No way these are going to be limited, to the point where you'll make money on it. While there is a lot of idiots who will buy this, there is surely not 100,000 or even 500,000 people who will buy this, if it truly has a six digit serial number on it. Of course that guy will say it's limited, it drives up sales and he works for activision, who apparantly want s to sell you every game with some piece of plastic along with it. Stores don't want extras of these since they always just end up sitting on the shelf to be discounted within a month.

#17 Diosoth

Diosoth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:00 AM

Banned for what exactly, disagreeing with you, don't flatter yourself chief.

Don't you know anything about message board etiquitte? Disagreeing with someone makes you a troll. That little ocncept called "free speech" guarantees the right to have everyone agree with what you say.

LE games are pretty dumb anyway. Pay $20-$50 extra for maybe $2 worth of plastic goodies tossed in and maybe a metal case which won't fit in a DVD rack. All so the developer can squeeze out osme extra profits, because they're unwilling to admit that the game would sell much better if they simply made better games to begin with.

Like the GTA4 LE set, which almost no one bought because it was overpriced and was nothing but nick-nacks.
Since my trade/sell thread was a complete bomb, I have no reason to be nice to you people. Deal with it.

#18 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

:roll: I bought the GTA4 LE... a month or two after release and when it had drop to $50 while the regular edition was still selling for $60.