Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

• Please log in to reply
932 replies to this topic

#1 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

Due to his passing (and JJSP's suggestion) I'm transitioning this into a Lou Albano memorial topic. My strongest memory of him is when he was managing The British Bulldogs when I was a wee lad but that was at the end of his career.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Lou_Albano

Louis Vincent Albano (July 29, 1933–October 14, 2009),[2] better known by his ring name Captain Lou Albano, was an American professional wrestler, manager and actor. With an over-the-top personality and a penchant for boisterous declarations, Albano was the epitome of the antagonistic manager that raised the ire of wrestlers and incited the anger of spectators. Throughout his 42-year career, Albano guided 15 different tag teams and four singles competitors to championship gold. A unique showman, with an elongated beard, rubber band facial piercings, and loud outfits, he was the forefather of the 1980s Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection. Collaborating with Cyndi Lauper, Albano helped usher in wrestling's crossover success with a mainstream audience. Capitalizing on his success, he later ventured into Hollywood with various television, film, and music projects.

Ravishing Rick Rude wrestling topic

There may have been a Rick Rude topic once but it's been so long that it doesn't matter at this point. Rude had a pretty long career so you can read his wiki page for a synopsis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rude

Rick Rude knew how to work a crowd to the point that they absolutely hated his guts. IMO, one of the best heels of all time.

Edited by neocisco, 17 October 2009 - 04:48 PM.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain

:dvd:-009-1
:br:-Star Wars: Clone Wars season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#2 RandyTsai

RandyTsai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:42 AM

who?

Posted Image

#3 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:44 AM

Fuck yeah. when i was a kid, according to the Ravishing One, I was among the "Cincinnati Sweathogs."

sweet.
Posted Image

#4 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

Wow I can't believe we haven't done this topic yet.

#5 Iron Clad Burrito

Iron Clad Burrito

Not a real fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:55 AM

RIP, big guy.
[URL="http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=Iron+Clad+Burrito"][/URL]

#6 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:12 AM

Excellent topic.

#7 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:13 AM

His best promos were in the WWF and his best in ring work was in WCW. He cut his hair 5-7 years too late. One of the many who could have been champ if Hogan wasn't an egomaniac who had to hold the title for 5 out of 6 years and face fat slugs the whole time.

#8 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:30 AM

Rude was pretty awesome everywhere he went. Even as an announcer in ECW, he did a great job selling the talent.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#9 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:31 AM

I doubt they would have put the title on someone of Rude's size.
Posted Image

#10 smarkbran

smarkbran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:32 AM

Rick Rude was amazing and was one of the most in shape wrestlers of his time....which made it easy to cal all of us fat lol
R.I.P

Visit UltraMegaCyborg.com for the latest Gaming and Entertainment News/Reviews and of course: CONTESTS!

Who is Ultra Mega Cyborg:

#11 axlrose4183

axlrose4183

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

oh shit, greatist fuckin topic ever. Rick Rude should've had the world strap in WWF.

axlrose4183.png

#12 Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

Oh man, I rememeber hating Rude as a kid just because he was "Rude."

Aside from bits and pieces, this SD was really good. Loved the Rock promo and the Eddie tribute.

Posted Image

#13 TruthinessFC

TruthinessFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

Excellent OP for the thread. Hard to believe that hair was acceptable, even attractive at one point though.

On a very unrelated note, I'm reading through Jericho's book now and loving it so far. Why haven't I read it by now? I ask myself that after every chapter. I guess his next book is sometime this year.

Now Playing
:ps3: GTA V, FFXIV: ARR
:pc: Mists of Pandaria, Dota 2

#14 Guest_strongpimphand_*

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:50 AM

I remember that one night where Rick Rude was on WWF AND WCW AT THE SAME TIME! i was like damn, you can tell that shit is taped...

#15 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:21 AM

Excellent OP for the thread. Hard to believe that hair was acceptable, even attractive at one point though.

Wrestling has always been years behind the curve on haircuts. Exhibit A: Matt Hardy.

35bb9lx.gif

#16 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:11 AM

Just popped in the WWE Greatest wrestling stars of the 90s DVD I took out from the library, and man am I glad I didn't plunk down the money for this. It's awesome and shitty at the same time. Too short for the truly great wrestlers (i.e. The Rock, HBK, etc.) and not in depth enough or too long for the wrestlers the were good and memorable (Yokozuna). This is all in respect to the duration that they could fit on the DVD and true rationing of time they should have dealt out. Also, what's even more disappointing is a lack of mention for Vader or pretty much any ECW wrestler. Bah. At least the majority of the matches are really good. Man do I miss 90's wrestling. Hopefully the 201X wrestling era will not suck as much as this past era.

Also, I would have watched more of Smackdown tonight, but Star Wars Clone Wars was awesome and it coincided with Dollhouse. Plus, I saw too much midget, Michael Cole, and what seemed like a dumb party.

#17 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

Best thing about Rude, the airbrushed tights. My favorite is the one with his face on it.

#18 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Best thing about Rude, the airbrushed tights. My favorite is the one with his face on it.

My favorite was the ones with Jake Roberts' wife's face on them.

Edited by pitfallharry219, 03 October 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#19 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

I totally agree with pitfallharry. That shit was outrageous when it first aired.

My, how much has changed culturally.
Posted Image

#20 SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

I love Panda!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

I remember watching the derobing of rude. Those were the days when I'd stay up at 2am to catch the WWF shows. And on a slight tangent, where's Val Venis?

#21 cozinator

cozinator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

I doubt they would have put the title on someone of Rude's size.

He was 6'3, 250 and ripped to shreds. Taller than Steve Austin and about the same weight.

I don't think his size was the reason he never got a run with the title - Hogan was pretty much THE guy at that point, and they just weren't comfortable with heel world champs.

The guy was just so unlikable, and drew genuine heat. There's no doubt he'd have been world champ if he'd peaked five years later. Anytime outside of the Hogan run, he'd have been world champ based on his physique alone. And he had so much more to offer besides that.

#22 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

6'3"/250?

then I'm the fucking queen of scotland.
Posted Image

#23 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

I remember watching the derobing of rude. Those were the days when I'd stay up at 2am to catch the WWF shows. And on a slight tangent, where's Val Venis?

I think / hope that they wished him the best in his future endeavors.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#24 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Rude was way too lean to be considered for WWF Champion at the time, plus, he didn't really hit his peak as a heel until '92. And he kinda got a world title in WCW anyway in the form of the B-level WCW International World Title, so I didn't mind him not having the WWF Title. He got to hold Big Gold, and that was good enough for me. He was also the WCCW World Champion, although the World Title-ness of that belt is up for debate given the company's decline by the time he held it. I've been fortunate enough to see his work from every era, and except for his earliest work in Mid South, he always seemed to have that X factor - including during his first big push in Memphis.

SD thoughts repost from the dead thread -

The show started off great with an awesome video package, then Batista and Kane had a bad match highlighted by Batista doing a slow walking Batista bomb while Grisham acted astonished. The party stuff was amusing. I thought Jericho's wacky facial expressions were among his funniest ever, and Shieky being either humbled or Heimliched by Hurricane was funny. Vickie's return was done pretty well, and I like that she'll be used to try and get a new guy over. Escobar didn't say much, but had some kind of presence to him, so that's good. Punk declaring this the PROHIBITION ERA of SmackDown ruled.

Match-wise, this wasn't such a great show outside of the main event, which was a good, old school-style match highlighted by Orton just beating the daylights out of Cena with a million forearms to the chest. While the matches mostly underwhelmed, the promos didn't - it was a night of awesome mic work. Rock's promo was a classic, and really highlighted just how sterile most promos are now. His was full of life and put the PPV over as a bigger deal in five minutes than WWE had done in weeks. Just mentioning Dolph and Punk in this epic promo raises their stature a bit - sure, he mocked them, but he mocks everyone, and didn't mention anyone else by name except for 'Taker. Speaking of which, his promo was really good, and made it seem like not only will he win the title on Sunday, but he'll massacre Punk in the process.

Screens -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quotes -

Spoiler

Edited by JaytheGamefan, 03 October 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#25 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

I totally agree with pitfallharry. That shit was outrageous when it first aired.

My, how much has changed culturally.

I don't know, putting the face of your hated rival's wife on your crotch still seems pretty outrageous to me.:)

35bb9lx.gif

#26 cdeener

cdeener

Love Those Price Drops!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

We had a Rude topic years ago so its cool to have one again.

I remember that infamous evening when he was on Raw & Nitro almost at exact same time. He was the reason Vince made Raw be live mostly since that night. He had great mic skills throughout his career and I enjoyed watching him work.
Never settle for full price unless you have no other choice. ;)

#27 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

I was always one to like the heels as a Kid and Rude was one of my favorites. He started getting my attention in WCCW managed by Percy Pringle (future Paul Bearer) and heading out to the ring with "Smooth Operator" playing. Rude was the shit. I think he held the WCW US title for a Year straight at one point. I didn't even notice at the time. He made the chase to get that belt off of him a major thing. I know that's what heels are suppose to do, but damn you just don't see it much any more and you don't see it like Rude made it EVER.

#28 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Rude wrestling Steamboat on one of the early Royal Rumble PPV's was awesome, and he had some great matches in WCW against Sting. Excellent choice for a topic.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#29 cozinator

cozinator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

6'3"/250?

then I'm the fucking queen of scotland.

Fair enough, just going off Wikipedia and obsessedwithwrestling.

http://www.obsessedw...r/rick-rude.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rude

He'd easily be champion on one of the three brands today.

A Rick Rude DVD from WWE would be excellent.

#30 -GoodFella-

-GoodFella-

Barca Reigns Supreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

One of the all time great heels, I remember hating him when I was a kid cause he would always find ways to keep the US belt and shit on Sting and Steamboat :)