Kaoz

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

ExciteBike: World Rally
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
File Size: 201 Blocks
Description: Prepare to face daredevil jumps, crazy obstacles and other racers in the newest installment in the venerable Excitebike franchise, available exclusively on the WiiWare service. Choose from multiple camera angles as you tilt your way to smooth landings using motion-sensitive controls. Compete in races around the world in four championship circuits. Use Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection to invite friends to a race. Or if you're feeling brave, take on anyone else looking for a match. Feel like tackling a challenge of your own design? Use the intuitive Track Editor to choose from the available obstacles and put together your dream course, then share courses with friends to see whose creation skills reign supreme.

Currently at a 8.1 on metacritic

As much as I still hold the classic near and dear to my heart I don't think it quite holds up to today's standards, but this 3D revisit is easily one of the better WiiWare offerings available.

With more tracks, more bonus features and more strategic racing challenges, Excitebike: World Rally is a racing game that will keep you challenged with its ever-increasing difficulty and entertained with its track editor and online play.

The motion controls are optional with the exception of shaking the wiimote to recover after a crash. 16 tracks total, with a track editor and 4 player online multiplayer. The alternate camera angle is turned on/off by hitting the A button.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Friend Codes - 7 People so far
Spoiler

Edited by Kaoz, 14 January 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#2 fyffem

fyffem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

This looks fun. I'm surprised the game came out so quickly though, they really waited until the alst minute to announce it's release.

#3 oemor

oemor

Bubble Pop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

you can add me to the list FC: 0217 0863 7049

#4 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

I'll be downloading this tonight and will post my FC.

#5 datura

datura

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

Been playing this a couple days now... Worth the $10!

My friend code: 0131 1890 9803

#6 Got_Wii

Got_Wii

Nintendo Freak

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

I will post my friend code soon after I purchase the game.

Posted Image

#7 datura

datura

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Just added Kaoz, Oemor, and ProfWho to my Friend list on Excitebike.

#8 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

I just downloaded this today -great game! My friend code is: 5456$9549$5875

#9 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

I added everybody in the op. Would live to play online with cags. Also, sorry about the formatting of my fc. Here it is again: 5456 9549 5875

#10 datura

datura

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

I'll add you crunchewy the next time I boot up my Wii. Probably will be within the hour.

#11 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

I've only gotten to the gold cup so far and have played some online matches and done pretty well. I do better with and prefer the "normal" (motion) controls. Works well for me - more intuitive.

#12 ProfWho

ProfWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

I have added everyone on the list.

Wii U: ProfWho
3DS: 3222-6849-1226
PSN: ProfWho

Steam: ProfWho

#13 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

What? (at grace12)

#14 SuperPhillip

SuperPhillip

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

What? (at grace12)

It's code for SuperPhillip got this game and is enjoying it. Love seeing all the backgrounds from the Excite Truck and Bots games.

#15 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

I went back and finished up the 3rd cup. The 2nd race in that cup gave me a bit of trouble. The last 2 races however, I got through on my first try each. So...yeah, I want to play online against some people that I know. I have Kaoz, but that's about it.

It's a solid game. I'm honestly surprised they didn't try and make it a retail title and have twice as many tracks.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#16 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:13 AM

What the hell is that arrow leading the biker on the track?

Oh well. I am going to buy this immediately.

#17 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:28 AM

Downloaded. Played for an hour. Breezed through Bronze Cup and played online for a while. Online with only two players feels so unsatisfying. Four players is where it's at.

Wheelie jumping and landing on your opponent's front tire right before the finish line is great.

Pushing your temp to the limit one millisecond too long and overheating right as you approach coolant is not.

#18 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

I've only gotten to the gold cup so far and have played some online matches and done pretty well. I do better with and prefer the "normal" (motion) controls. Works well for me - more intuitive.

When I first started playing, I found myself trying to change lanes by tilting the controller, despite knowing that the controls didn't work like that! It would be interesting if that option were presented.

I have used nothing but normal control and it seems good. I have nothing against the O.G. Excitebike controls, but having my thumb control one thing while my arms control another is helpful.

So far, every single other person online (about 8 people came and went) has been using classic controls. Odd.

#19 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:50 AM

When I first started playing, I found myself trying to change lanes by tilting the controller, despite knowing that the controls didn't work like that! It would be interesting if that option were presented.

Well, you see...
Spoiler

#20 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Why did you have to go and do that? Now I am forced to go play the game for a few hours to S rank everything!

Anyone else think that it is far too easy to recover from a fall? You crash and roll fast. You get back on your bike almost instantly. Then the game gives you this huge boost of speed.

#21 Kaoz

Kaoz

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

Why did you have to go and do that? Now I am forced to go play the game for a few hours to S rank everything!

Anyone else think that it is far too easy to recover from a fall? You crash and roll fast. You get back on your bike almost instantly. Then the game gives you this huge boost of speed.

I kinda like that, you still lose time for a crash, but its not a big punishment like overheating.

I keep wanting to play this but I have some games I borrowed from a friend, meaning they have to get played with almost all of my gaming time :<
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

interested for sure. I will check it out a bit more.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#23 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Ok, I just finished S-ranking everything. I had S-rank in everything except platinum China on the first or second try. Freaking China took me an hour by itself.

Halfway through the silver cup, I realized that you could cool off by causing other bikers to crash. However, I quickly learned to stay the hell away from any and all CPU bikers. Nine times out of ten, if I crashed, it was due to bouncing off a biker's head, which threw off my ramp timings. Sometimes they would just veer into my lane for no good reason. I even had a few times where they went into the mud or grass and randomly crashed into me. Half of the game seems to be avoiding these clowns.

I tried the pro controller mode and it would definitely take some getting used to. Now I am curious what all the extra question marks are in the options, since it claims I have "unlocked everything".

#24 oemor

oemor

Bubble Pop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Platinum China was the hardest for me too, I must of did it like fifty times to get a S Rank, the track is forever burned into my brain now so I can do it with ease now.

I think the question marks you see are for the bikes you unlock for friend races & anyone races on WFC. I'm pretty much addicted to this game & unlocked all of them awhile back.

#25 Kaoz

Kaoz

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

Just finished S-Ranking gold cup last night, had to do China a few times but the rest were easy. Now for platinum, this should be a pain.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:41 AM

I am up to 60 anyone points. I haven't actually played it that much. I think I have come in first place every times except twice.

I have no "friends".

#27 Kaoz

Kaoz

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

I am up to 60 anyone points. I haven't actually played it that much. I think I have come in first place every times except twice.

I have no "friends".

We have six people listed in the OP, if you want your number added just add those and post yer' number =P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Wow guys, this much not be getting much attention huh?

I remember trying to tell people how fun excite truck was and it seemed no one listened.

I think I am going to grab this, possibly this weekend.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#29 Zing

Zing

Witty Remark Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

I hate to admit it, but I am done with this game. This is probably the fastest I have played out a Nintendo published game since Trace Memory. I got three hours of play in single player (one hour of that spent on Platinum China), and three hours in multiplayer (I am approaching 100 points).

The multiplayer gameplay is actually worse than single player, due to lag. Sometimes I get hit by bikers that aren't close to me, and sometimes other bikers will pass right through me when they should ram me. Most of the time the collisions are accurate, but it is random enough to ruin aggressive tactics. The gameplay is basically single player. There is no interaction. You do a two minute race, get a few points, unlock a new color, repeat.

It's a shame Nintendo didn't include a mode with no CPU bikers. Then multiplayer wouldn't be so random. I'm surprised there isn't a "time trial" mode with no CPU bikers. It's pointless to try for a fast time for two reasons: 1) CPU bikers are too random 2) There is no way to share your time with anyone, even other users of your Wii. Why the hell isn't there a locally shared scoreboard?

The gameplay was fun as hell during my three hours. I was planning on gifting this game to at least two people. It's a shame.

#30 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

I had bought this a while back and played it a bit and then set it aside, but recently started playing again. It's a really fun game. I would, aside from wanting to play online with some CAGs, like to work on the friends-only online design unlocks. Doubt I'll ever get to 500 points, but maybe we can get the first two unlocks. Anyone else interested in setting up a time for a CAG Excitebike fest?

Regarding online play, it's been flawless for us, and we are on a lowly low-end DSL connection. No lag whatsoever. Also the game would be a bore without the CPU players in there as well. Someone would take the lead and that would be it, pretty much. Part of the point of the game is not running into traffic, and using the CPU bikes to cool your engine so you can boost you way to the finish line.