General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#1 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Decided to start a General Old School gaming thread just to see how it flys. The GGT ussually focuses on newer games so I tought an outlet for retro gamers might be nice.

Anyways what's everyone playing? Right now I'm playing Ys Book I & II (Turbo Grafix) & Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System). I got both off the VC.

Ys is a blast. I'm about halfway through the first book. I wish I could've played this when it first came out. Excellent music, nice little animation here & there, and simple but addictive gameplay.

#2 Jack

Jack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

In the past week, I played through Metal Storm (NES) for the second time. I also attempted to play through The Guardian Legend without special weapons using the TGL password, but I forgot about the volcanoes in the later levels. I don't think it's possible to get by some of them without special weapons. I then tried to beat it with special weapons, but couldn't beat the final boss. I'll probably try again later. Call me crazy, but The Guardian legend is still my favorite vertical shooter.
Brawl: 1892-4510-3504

#3 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:15 AM

Thanks to the Virtual Console I've been working on the NES version of Final Fantasy. I'm in the midst of the pre-Marsh Cave grind. Only 2-3 hours to go!

I don't know how old school this counts as but I was playing NFL Blitz 2001 on Dreamcast two nights ago. The Chargers are the worst team in any sports game ever in that game. Every time I got tackled (literally, every time), I fumbled the ball.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#4 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

I bought Resident Evil 2 off the PSN this last week, and I've been playing it like mad over the last few days. The game has aged really well and plays awesome on the PSP.

On another note, this is first time I've played the game since it came out over 11 years ago and I'm loving it just as much as the first time I played through it.

In addition to that, I also picked up some new retro games today, Mega Man X4 & Mega Man 8 on the Saturn for $30 and $40 respectively, and A Boy and His Blob & Little Nemo the Dream Master for $5 a piece. Crossed a lot of high wants off my list today!
[Brawl: 0001-3099-4131][Excitebots: 2106-5601-7796]

#5 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

Doesn't the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 have Cutman & Woodman as optional bosses?

#6 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

MUSHA and Lords Of Thunder on the shmup tip while getting reacquainted with Ogre Battle (hopefully I can finally beat the last map this time). Its kinda sad that the main reason I wanted a Wii was for the VC
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#7 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

Doesn't the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 have Cutman & Woodman as optional bosses?

Yes it does! That's the main reason I picked it up over the PS1 version since the PS1 didn't have the extra available RAM that the Saturn did to put in the extra bosses.

#8 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

Haven't really played to much these past two months sadly. I did pick up turtles in time reshelled last week if that counts. Never played any of the tmnt games for the snes, it was a fun little game, though a little too easy.

Over the years I have heard people say Policenauts is a really good game, thinking about hunting down a copy of that some time soon.
No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#9 handsome_rakshas

handsome_rakshas

Judgment of the Sea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Gates of Thunder for PCE is one of the most intense and awesome shmups I've ever played. Died on the last boss again. Also collecting junk and leveling in a Parasite Eve save that's probably 10 years old.
Posted Image

#10 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

I've been playing Resident Evil Director's Cut. I got it off ebay with the RE2 Demo. I forgot how cheesy the dialogue in first game was. I just gave the STARS member the antidote and he died on me. The game has aged good, even though its like what, 14 years old? Back in the day I remember the characters having mouths. Now they don't. Man, they don't make games like this anymore. "You were almost a Jill Sandwich!" The music really fits the mood though. I played a little bit of Resident Evil: Survivor. It was ok but nothing special. I wonder why Capcom neutered the American version. It has some hilariously bad voice acting too. Like holy shit bad. I posted some videos in my blog that are must watch if you want a good gaming laugh.

I've also been playing Super Metroid. I got stuck early on and haven't played it in a few days though.

Has anyone played Lester the Unlikely on the SNES? I got a complete copy off of ebay for 10 bucks and it has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. The controls are so stiff and the main character just stops moving, shakes his head, and even runs backwards at certain points which is totally annoying. Oddly enough this is one of the features the game touts in the manual. :rofl:

#11 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Man, don't remember ever having this much trouble in the 4th stage of MUSHA. Might be a sign of old age or something.

On the flip side, I don't remember Ogre Battle being this easy.

Also, though I'm really glad to be able to play Genghis Khan again, it doesn't live up to my nostalgic memories of playing it in Jr High. Probably should have just skipped it and bought Romance 4 or Uncharted Waters.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#12 OldSchool77

OldSchool77

"Would you kindly?"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:46 AM

I just started playing Loom and The Dig via Steam on my PC. I haven't played them since they came out and I can barely remember the puzzles. I empathize with your problems I'm only middle aged but damn my FPS and puzzle solving skills have been suffering lately.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244495"][/URL]

#13 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

For some reason i've been playing a lot of Rampart recently.

#14 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Super Mario World. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a fun game and all, but it just makes me want to go back to the true masterwork. :)

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#15 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

For some reason i've been playing a lot of Rampart recently.

that game rules. Still holds up very well (still the best tower defense game IMO) for being almost 20 years old. Sadly though, I just could never get into the versions that has come out for the consoles. I need a trackball to play it
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

I have a small backlog of RPGs... Devil Summoner 2, then Ys Oath in Felghana,

but once those two are done, Ima play Magic Knight Rayearth!!

#17 handsome_rakshas

handsome_rakshas

Judgment of the Sea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

I have a small backlog of RPGs... Devil Summoner 2, then Ys Oath in Felghana,

but once those two are done, Ima play Magic Knight Rayearth!!

Rayearth has been sitting in my closet for a week now, begging me to play. Albert Odyssey has been sitting for a couple months.
Chrono Trigger for SNES has been waiting for like a year now. I'm a bad person.
Posted Image

#18 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

Pick up an original GB game now and again, found some gems. Kirby Blockball, Jurassic Park 2, Ferrari Challenge, some Japanese Micky Mouse game (was a bit like Castle of Illusion) were all good.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#19 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

oh yeay, speaking of GB,

I bought Shantae.

for $84.

cart only.

that was weeks ago, I've only played thru like the first real dungeon. I needa put more time into it to justify the amount I spent on it.

#20 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

I'm playing Donkey Kong ALL THE TIME on my upright (along with hundreds of other old school arcade games on various other machines - mainly 3rd Strike right now). I suck but I'm determined to break 100,000.

Console-wise I'm playing Final Fantasy VII (PSP) and Chrono Trigger (DS). I've also recently played through Zelda, Zelda 2 (totally underrated), Super Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros. 2 (JPN) and a ton of others
Spoiler

Old school games rule.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#21 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

I like this thread. Recently started up a new game on Super Mario 64. I'm about 20 stars in right now, and it feels great to replay this classic.

#22 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

A couple weeks ago I played through the Japanese Famicom version of Contra. In case you didn't know it's highly superior to the version we got in the states. There's extra background animation from trees and bushes moving in the wind to snow falling in the snow stage. There's an intro's and ending which tells the story (unfortunatly in Japanese) Before you begin the level you're given a map previewing the stage, kinda like Castlevania. And on completion of the level you're given a nice litle animation of Bill or Lance blazing away with their guns or using radios. The whole experience felt more complete.

#23 cappy125

cappy125

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

Recently I've been getting smashed at the bars and then coming home and playing Super Mario Bros 3. It's amazing because it is so damn hard after 9 beers.

#24 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

oh yeay, speaking of GB,

I bought Shantae.

for $84.

cart only.

that was weeks ago, I've only played thru like the first real dungeon. I needa put more time into it to justify the amount I spent on it.

good lord, is it really going for that much? Remember Circuit City clearancing those out at $5.

Also, having to restart Ogre Battle 10 hours into it sucks. Completely forgot to bone up on the characters to recruit and their requirements
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

Recently I've been getting smashed at the bars and then coming home and playing Super Mario Bros 3. It's amazing because it is so damn hard after 9 beers.

If you like old school gaming and delicious beer I highly recommend you read Games 'N Beer. They review a game and a beer about once a week (getting drunk while playing the game). The Galaga/Bud Light Lime review was right on point. It's a great read.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#26 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

I'm working on playthroughs on both Little Nemo and A Boy & His Blob.

I completely forgot how hard and unforgiving A Boy & His Blob was. :bomb:

#27 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

I need to get back into Ys Book I & II. I beat the first chapter. Bah... These new games with flashy lights and 3D graphics are distracting me.

#28 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:25 AM

dood! I thought I would post this here:

http://www.destructo...ck-157175.phtml

the god of tetris!!

#29 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

I bought Devil's Crush on the VC (owned it on the T-16) and I can't remember this game being as easy as it was. I remember struggling for a year and a half trying to beat the game but I bought it Friday night and Sunday morning I finally got through it all.

Now I get to buy Alien Crush as I'm curious if it's as easy. Never beat it on the Turbo so who knows. Plus, I always thought Alien Crush was the better game.

Is Alien Crush Returns worth the $8?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Right now I'm fiddling off and on with my old-school standby game, The Guardian Legend on the NES. Y'know, as much "history" as I have with this game, you'd think I'd actually have beaten it at least once... but I don't think I've ever gotten past the 3rd boss or so.

Maybe I should get more serious about that. :lol: