kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Are any CAGs lawyers / in law school?

#2 Jake Tower

Jake Tower

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

I attended Texas Tech University School of Law, but dropped out. Does that count?
Posted Image

#3 necrojustice

necrojustice

is fighting Tyson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'd like to be in the future, does that count?

#4 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

I offer budget attorney services, does that count?

#5 c0rnpwn

c0rnpwn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

I study Latin in undergrad, does that count?
Posted Image

|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||

#6 jlseal

jlseal

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

A word of advice. Don't go.
Posted Image

#7 Cracka

Cracka

www.hempjewelryworld.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

i stayed in a holiday inn express last night, does that count?

#8 Tybalt Flux

Tybalt Flux

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

...I am.

Shit, first real positive response?

#9 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:45 AM

I attended Texas Tech University School of Law, but dropped out. Does that count?

I got in there :) Not sure where I'm going to go yet (prolly USC or U of Texas), but I am attending law school in the fall I'm super excited :)

#10 Magus8472

Magus8472

The Sudden Stop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:04 AM

A word of advice. Don't go.

I can't endorse this statement more.
Posted Image

#11 sgs89

sgs89

Go Zags! Go Cougs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:17 AM

If you have to finance your legal education through loans, don't go unless you are planning to attend a top-10 school. I cannot emphasize this enough.

#12 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

I'll be in law school in about 2 years, currently a comp engineering junior, i plan to do patent law.. I'm expecting to get out of undergrad with 3.7ish or 3.8ish, and I'm expecting around 167 LSAT (I tested cold around 160 and have practiced a bit up to 165ish)... my dream school would be Berkeley but I probably won't get in... maybe UC Davis would be more reachable. I'd like to be in Cali (or stay in Seattle), I don't wanna go anywhere else.

I sorta worry about my chosen path, though. I'm sort of a criminal. I mean, I'm writing this post stoned... as I type it uTorrent is running, transferring pirated video and audio... I don't even really believe in copyright for programs, computer software in general, I side more with Stallman, copyleft and open source is the way to go... but whatever, I just follow the money and job security, I can deal with being a cog in a system I oppose if the price is right.

#13 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:31 AM

I blew a lawyer, does that count?

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#14 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

if you have to finance your legal education through loans, don't go unless you are planning to attend a top-10 school. I cannot emphasize this enough.

this.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#15 mis0

mis0

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

Agree with the statement about not going if taking out loans.

@Koggit. I hope you understand that just attending law school doesn't equal job security or a huge flow of money. There's a shit ton of people heading to law school assuming they're gonna get $100k/year automatically after obtaining their JD and passing the bar when it's far from the actual numbers. Not all become lawyers, some enter academia, business, and other fields far from law. Also, the trend seems to imply that there's going to be a ~15% increase in "lawyers" within the next 5 years because people are trying to ride out the recession by pursuing higher education. And I don't understand why your current lifestyle should make you worry about your career as being a patent lawyer is typically going to mean manipulating wording in patent and copyright laws, finding loopholes and shit, etc, to work in your clients' favor.

[mis0's tradelist]

#16 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

I blew a lawyer, does that count?

Only if you swallowed (since you would then gain all of his powers, obviously).

Posted Image

#17 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

@Koggit. I hope you understand that just attending law school doesn't equal job security or a huge flow of money. There's a shit ton of people heading to law school assuming they're gonna get $100k/year automatically after obtaining their JD and passing the bar when it's far from the actual numbers. Not all become lawyers, some enter academia, business, and other fields far from law. Also, the trend seems to imply that there's going to be a ~15% increase in "lawyers" within the next 5 years because people are trying to ride out the recession by pursuing higher education. And I don't understand why your current lifestyle should make you worry about your career as being a patent lawyer is typically going to mean manipulating wording in patent and copyright laws, finding loopholes and shit, etc, to work in your clients' favor.

i'm def not worried about the pay or finding a job... i think the demand for patent lawyers is much higher than other legal specialties

#18 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

I'm currently in law school (graduating in the spring). I cannot emphasize this enough, learn what you are getting into.

"T14 or bust" isn't true but getting into one of the T14 schools will make your life infinitely easier trying to get internships, interviews and ultimately a job. Be prepared to work your ass off while in law school and post graduation (60 hour weeks and working weekends is the norm). You are going to graduate owing some serious money (don't go to a lesser school just to save money, it's not worth it). Intern for a couple of firms (big/medium size) prior to attending law school just to see if you like it.

It's not all doom and gloom. Being a lawyer can be immensely intoxicating , no pun intended ;-). The ability to think like a lawyer is handsomely compensated by the private sector. Remember that in the end, you can do virtually anything you want with a law degree.
Xecutioner
CML

#19 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

All of the "don't go" comments are ridiculous. If someone goes to law school because they aren't sure what they want to do or are just looking to make lots of money, than yes it is a bad idea and terribly unrealistic. I've wanted to be a prosecutor my entire life, so law school is a necessary step for me.

For the "don't go" people, what do you guys do? Accountants? Teachers? I am sure you could poll CAG and find tons of people who have negative views on those career paths as well.

If you read the OP, the guy simply asked if there were any lawyers or law students here, not your personal opinions on the profession.

#20 drone8888

drone8888

Sin & Punishment VC2007!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

Any job that makes you separates your soul from your body, should be highly scrutinized. Lawyers are needed why? It's not the will of the people, who make the laws, it's the filthy scam artists in the government who create them. Instead of using common sense to figure shit out, and sometimes make a mistake, we have retarded rules that no one understands except for the highest paid lawyers, which allows the guilty to walk. There are no just lawyers, unless you are the common American that worships the television. If you're a lawyer, you're an inhuman piece of trash. You turn your morals on when you leave the job, and that's despicable. :D

#21 c0rnpwn

c0rnpwn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Any job that makes you separates your soul from your body, should be highly scrutinized. Lawyers are needed why? It's not the will of the people, who make the laws, it's the filthy scam artists in the government who create them. Instead of using common sense to figure shit out, and sometimes make a mistake, we have retarded rules that no one understands except for the highest paid lawyers, which allows the guilty to walk. There are no just lawyers, unless you are the common American that worships the television. If you're a lawyer, you're an inhuman piece of trash. You turn your morals on when you leave the job, and that's despicable. :D

I take it your parents are doctors?
Posted Image

|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||

#22 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

All of the "don't go" comments are ridiculous. If someone goes to law school because they aren't sure what they want to do or are just looking to make lots of money, than yes it is a bad idea and terribly unrealistic. I've wanted to be a prosecutor my entire life, so law school is a necessary step for me.

For the "don't go" people, what do you guys do? Accountants? Teachers? I am sure you could poll CAG and find tons of people who have negative views on those career paths as well.

If you read the OP, the guy simply asked if there were any lawyers or law students here, not your personal opinions on the profession.

I am an accountant and I find your post HIGHLY offensive. ;)

One can definitely go to law school if they actually be smart about it. The thing is too many people these days go to law school fully on loans, don't specialize in a field with demand, and end up working shit jobs, many of which don't even have to do with law, and have thousands and thousands of loans for the rest of their lives. You just need to be smart about it. I know from personal experience about this as my ex did the same exact stupid things I mentioned. He didn't really specialize in anything, took out nearly $200k in loans, and was only in the 50% percentile of his law class at a top 50ish school. He hasn't been able to find a decent job to save his life and he graduated 4.5 years ago. Just don't be him and you'll be fine.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#23 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Geez, I don't like lawyers as much as the next guy, but you're taking it to a whole different level.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#24 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

Geez, I don't like lawyers as much as the next guy, but you're taking it to a whole different level.

I know right, you'd think he's talking about going into business school or something.

Posted Image

#25 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

but the vast majority of people who go to law school have useless degrees, communication or political science or psychology or whatever... sure, unless they're getting into a good school (I wouldn't say T14 or bust, maybe top 50) they'll have trouble finding a job but I bet it's less trouble than they'd have with their worthless poly sci degree...

People who end up realizing law school is a mistake seem to have made undergrad mistakes. Generally speaking, law school improves your career prospects, it's just that for some people the improvement isn't drastic enough for them to be satisfied.

#26 c0rnpwn

c0rnpwn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

but the vast majority of people who go to law school have useless degrees, communication or political science or psychology or whatever... sure, unless they're getting into a good school (I wouldn't say T14 or bust, maybe top 50) they'll have trouble finding a job but I bet it's less trouble than they'd have with their worthless poly sci degree...

People who end up realizing law school is a mistake seem to have made undergrad mistakes. Generally speaking, law school improves your career prospects, it's just that for some people the improvement isn't drastic enough for them to be satisfied.

You sound like a business major. Education is never a mistake.
Posted Image

|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||

#27 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Yeah my ex was a poli sci major. He basically made all the wrong moves. You're not fucked if you have a useless undergrad major if you go to a top 10 school and are in the top 20% or so of your class. But if don't do those things with a shitty undergrad degree, then yes you are fucked.

My ex went to a Top 50 school also but like I said he was only in like the 50th percentile of his class and he did NOT get an internship with a law firm.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#28 Magus8472

Magus8472

The Sudden Stop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

I'm a law student. Law school is a terrible experience; you will learn absolutely nothing of practical value, and your job prospects will be determined largely by what school you go to and who you know rather than what you study or how well you do, particularly in this economy.

So, I'll qualify: Don't go unless you're going to a T14.
Posted Image

#29 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

You sound like a business major. Education is never a mistake.

Whatever it is you get from useless liberal arts degrees is not what I would call an education... if you want to study Cinema History or whatever for you, that's great, but those people better not walk around thinking they're educated and therefore deserve better jobs. Law degrees are only one step removed from this.

The majority of people who bitch about law school not being worth it are actually in a bad situation because of their undergrad, not because of law school. They spend 4 years in undergrad wasting their time with a slacker major, so when they graduate they aren't appealing to employers, they can only get maybe $25k/yr in positions with with low ceilings... they're unhappy with those options so they go to law school, where after 3 years they usually start $40k+, but then they bitch about this not being fair pay for their 7 years of education. In fact, the $40k is actually a damn fair increase from the $25k their Music Theory degree would've gotten them.

Similarly, if they had worked their ass off and graduated top of their class where they would've then had options for $40k+ out of undergrad, then those same credentials would've gotten them into a top law school where they would've gotten $70k+ out of law school, or if they had a more challenging program (engineering or graduate level science) then out of undergrad they may get $70k+ offers, but they also get an admissions boost to in applying to law school, and out of law school $100k+ offers because there's more demand for lawyers with technical backgrounds. It's all proportional to how in-demand you are out of undergrad: the better shape you're in out of undergrad, the better shape you'll be in after law school. If your situation out of undergrad sucks, law school isn't going to magically fix anything.

I can almost guarantee, anyone with poor career prospects out of law school had poor career prospects out of undergrad. It's just that people tend to blame the most recent related event for any problem, or in this case the most recent school.

#30 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

Soooo, basically only engineering degrees are the only worthwhile degrees for law school apparently. Everything else is a waste of time. Good to know.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.