#1 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:30 PM

I think this should be stickied.
Official GameCube Repair Thread

******BEFORE YOU BEGIN.

**********WE WILL NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR NINTENDO GAMECUBE DURING THIS PROCESS. ALL ACTIONS YOU TAKE WITH YOUR GAMECUBE ARE YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.**********

How can you tell your GameCube is in need of repairs/cleaning?

-When you start up your GameCube with a game inside, it doesn't read the game (better known as the infamous Disc-Read-Error [DRE]).
-Your game keeps "crashing" while in play.
-Your GameCube is making scratching sounds while in play.
-Your GameCube is generating more heat that normal.

How can you fix your GameCube with as few tools and as little money as possible?

This thread was made to guide people whose GameCubes have broken. Here, we will supply...

-FAQs on how to fix your GCN.
-Places where you can purchase the tools needed.
-Advice from people who have firsthandedly fixed their GCN.

Guides to fix your GCN

A member of GameFAQs.com has kindly generated a full FAQ on how to fix your GameCube with a GameBit.

http://www.gamefaqs....ame/915781.html

Navigate down to Lens Calibration Guide.

People over at Planet GameCube Forums have designed a guide for a different type of GameCube disc read errors. This error consists of a broken CD spindle.

http://www.planetgam...918&STARTPAGE=2

UPDATE: 12/29/05

If you need videos, UltimateConsoleGuides has a HUGE amount of fixit videos and articles! These come at a price, however.

http://www.ultimatec...om/gamecube.htm

Places where to purchase a GameBit
*Prices do not include shipping

Play-Asia.com
$14.99

NCSXShop.com
$4.85

^^BEST DEAL^^

Lik-Sang.com
$14.99

Jandaman.com
$11.95

Ebay GameBits
Various Prices

Advice From Fellow CAG Members

MOXIO:
- Make sure to have all the tools you need (GameBit, socketed longbarrel screwdriver, etc.) before you begin the repair. This way, you won't have to leave to find another screwdriver, leaving your GCN unattended.
- If you have shaky hands, you may want someone else to fix your GCN for you. You can't afford to make costly mistakes.
- Make sure that when you take screws out, DO NOT LOSE THEM. Place them in a spot you will remember to get them, and keep them organized.

Feel free to contribute what you know to this thread! Help us to help you, CAGs!

#2 AdamInPlaidum

AdamInPlaidum

Wii will rock you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:34 PM

Good idea, Mox.
Currently playing: Viewtiful Joe (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Astro Boy (GBA)

#3 DenisDFat

DenisDFat

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:07 AM

-while your gamecube is open, slap a region mod switch in it..
Things that suck: Fisrt person Shooters, Stealth, metal Gear, Silicon Knights, Realism, Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 10, 10-2, CC, Metroid Prime, Ketchup, Mayonaisse, pickles, vinegar, Electronic Arts, Sports games, Sega sports, Sonic, ham, Retro, Walgreens, "mature" games, Superficial women, meatloaf, the matrix, Racing games, hot dogs, eggs, mustard, lettuce, peppers, beans, alchohol, your mother, ocarina of time, blondes, sunshine, Cornfedwb, 3d platformers, DiGiorno pizza, pics of Olimario's dong on the internet
Posted Image

#4 My Name Is BoB

My Name Is BoB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:52 AM

I got my gamebit that I ordered on thursday today, fixed my black gamecube using the gamefaqs guide, but I managed to lose a screw connecting the fan. Oh well, as long as it holds together I'll be fine.

#5 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:52 AM

Bump.

#6 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:51 AM

Bumped for someone who has this problem.

#7 lurknomore

lurknomore

Selling my stuff....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:02 PM

this would be a great sticky, mods. Hopefully this will never be an issue that I have to read in any great depth, but I imagine this would be a great help for many.

#8 My Name Is BoB

My Name Is BoB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

I'll do a picture guide if anyone wants me to.

#9 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:14 PM

I'll do a picture guide if anyone wants me to.

that would actually be awesome. i would like to see how it's done.

#10 Timmt

Timmt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:03 PM

My near-launch GameCube is acting up and every game will not load anymore. No more SSBM or PSO while I attempt to fix the system. :(

The picture guide would be useful, though. Thanks.
Posted Image
Phantasy Star Online EP I&II
Hunter's Guild FAQ

#11 My Name Is BoB

My Name Is BoB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

Well, I was gonna fix another one, but I lost my gamebit somehow, and I had to order another one. I'm going out of town next week, so it will get done sometime after then.

#12 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:32 PM

Very good idea, Mox. I'm going to make this a sticky.

#13 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

JIMMER TIME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

yea great idea, thanks and i bet you could buy a broken one from ebay cheap and fix it up and basicaly get it REALLY Cheap

cavs1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifcle1-sm.gif
Now Playing

:360: FIFA 14

#14 David85

David85

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

Mine "broke" last week. I had one of the systems with a messed up opening button. Then all of a sudden the thing got stuff and i couldn't close the system. So i pushed done on the button more, held it for a minute and it was fixxed. Now it looks better than new because the button is no longer slanted.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#15 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

I was one of the lucky one's that failed in month 11. Nintendo installed a new DVD drive. Hopefully it is a drive that does not have the issue.

So why is it hard to make a reliable DVD drive? All 3 systems this gen have had issues.

#16 Americanpierg

Americanpierg

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

mine laser was beyond repair, i did the recalibration thing and it wouldnt work. discs could be read at 400ohms but no more and no less, and it could only be read for like a minute or until excessive loads in the game... ended up selling it at gamerush for 27$ and buying a new one from ebgames for 99

#17 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

my reset button is now permanently stuck down. does anyone know of an easy way to fix this problem?

#18 My Name Is BoB

My Name Is BoB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:22 AM

my reset button is now permanently stuck down. does anyone know of an easy way to fix this problem?

How did that happen? If no one can find a fix for you, I'll buy it off of you if you don't want it.

#19 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

How did that happen? If no one can find a fix for you, I'll buy it off of you if you don't want it.

i just pressed it and it stayed there. i looked at it last night and it was fixed, so i have no worries. it still played fine, though. i had no intentions of selling it.

#20 darkcrawlspace

darkcrawlspace

Just another CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

For some reason my GameCube just isn't working. I put a game in, and turn the system on, but the disc doesn't spin. So I don't think I should classify the problem as a DRE, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone had, or heard of, this problem before?

#21 scp89

scp89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

For some reason my GameCube just isn't working. I put a game in, and turn the system on, but the disc doesn't spin. So I don't think I should classify the problem as a DRE, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone had, or heard of, this problem before?

this is a dre...I fix GC's all the time....to those that have a working cube and to those attempting to fix...the key is the little noise the GC makes when it is powering/spinning up a disc...you will hear the little whirl/beep noise if it is reading correctly...

dark...try the guide trust me...In fact I just fixed one last week that did the exact same thing...in addition to the tools above...the tiniest phillips screwdriver is important too....and I will warn you...there are lots of those little tiny bastages!! :)

#22 darkcrawlspace

darkcrawlspace

Just another CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll try it out.

#23 Larsin

Larsin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

i let my friend borrow my gamecube a few days ago and he had it running fine till today.

he said that if he turns it on with the controller plugged in, the game doesn't spin. but if he turns it on without the controller, it runs just fine, till you plug a controller in, then it stops.

any tips?

#24 Psyc

Psyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:16 PM

Hmm, so basically with the faqs, I could fix a broken gamecube bought on eBay? Also, the planetgamecube link is broken.

#25 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:45 AM

I updated the guide. Changed the hideous orange to white, removed/added links, etc.

To Psyc: Perhaps. If the error is SPECIFICALLY DRE, there's a chance. However the seller could have tried fixing it to no avail, so if you buy it, there's nothing you can do.

To Larsin: Strange. If you're willing to take apart the GCN, I could see what I could do.

#26 Frogger

Frogger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

the gamefaqs fix does work. but in my experience, its a temporary fix.

people, it is $50 (shipped!!) to send it to nintendo for repair. well worth it, especially if you have a first gen system and want to preserve the component output.

Also, I'll save you the trouble. you cant buy a new GC and replace the dvd drive in the 1st gen systems. they don't fit. I already tried. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

WII: 6711 3662 7546 8873

#27 simpsonps121

simpsonps121

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

My GC is doing the same thing. It will not spin - just says insert GC disk. :-)

I will try to Gamefaqs guide and see if that works.

Matthew

#28 thewin10

thewin10

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

Is there anyway to check spinner? I think that's my problems. Don't really want it to lose this cube because it has the Digital AV out.

Edit: Never mine pretty much killed it now.

#29 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:06 AM

When I press the POWER button, the orange light turns on and immediately off but the fan keeps spinning. It's needless to say that it doesn't play games at all since it doesn't even show the main menu now. Is there any way i can fix this without sending my GC to Nintendo ?

#30 Riyonuk

Riyonuk

Perfectionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

I know this is a "Fix your GC topic", but is there a place to "Clean my GC"? Like taking it apart, soaking it with soap or something, and screwing it back together so its not all dusty and gooey from stickers?
Posted Image