NASCAR 09 (PS2)
NASCAR 09 (PS3 and 360 – Europe Only)
NFL Tour (PS3 and 360)
NHL 07 (PSP and 360)
NHL 08 (PC)
Tiger Woods 07 (PC)
Madden 09 (360 and PS3)
Madden 07 Xbox 360

I'm wondering if Madden 09 is a typo...that's ridiculous to shut down the server to a game that's been out for less than two years.

Source

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#2 smarkbran

smarkbran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Its Bullshit about facebreaker, I just got that game

Visit UltraMegaCyborg.com for the latest Gaming and Entertainment News/Reviews and of course: CONTESTS!

Who is Ultra Mega Cyborg:

#3 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Its Bullshit about facebreaker, I just got that game

Honestly, they should issue patches to allow P2P for online games. I'd rather take my chance with P2P than to have nothing at all.

EDIT: Said patch(es) should be released the day after the servers are taken down...

#4 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

I'm wondering if Madden 09 is a typo...that's ridiculous to shut down the server to a game that's been out for less than two years.

Probably not. Super Bowl (and in turn football season) will be over , which in turn means Madden 10 will probably price drop down to between $20-$40 , which in EA's eyes means anyone still holding out for Madden 10 at that point will probably upgrade. No need to keep servers up for a game "nobody" is playing.

Incidentally , it's things like this that makes me hope that changes to the Achievement/Trophy concept will happen in the future (or next gen consoles) that will make it so that if servers for a online game go down , that online chevos for the game don't become permanently disabled (or as you suggested such apply a P2P game patch).

#5 norkusa

norkusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:05 AM

And this is why I don't buy EA games anymore.

#6 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:17 AM

Does MS not host these servers?
Posted Image

#7 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:24 AM

Madden 09 is sad to say the least, especially considering on the PS3 there were still a few hundred people online at a given time, but understandable on EA's part. They don't want to spend the money to keep up a rapidly slowing server when they will probably soon drop the price of Madden 10 and see a huge spike in online play on that.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#8 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:29 AM

Madden 09 is sad to say the least, especially considering on the PS3 there were still a few hundred people online at a given time, but understandable on EA's part. They don't want to spend the money to keep up a rapidly slowing server when they will probably soon drop the price of Madden 10 and see a huge spike in online play on that.

But at the same time we're paying for a game that has the ability to play online...

#9 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

But at the same time we're paying for a game that has the ability to play online...

That is true 100%. EA is money hungry, right up there with Microsoft in the way they run things. Also, whether or not EA would save some money from shutting down Madden 09 servers, they have the money to keep it going. It is obvious this is just a way to silently push Madden 10 on people.

P.S. Madden 09 on the PSP is being shut down too. That is weak, I loved playing Madden on the PSP...of course, the PSP (and Wii) community cannot be compared to the PS3/Xbox 360 communities. That is just sick.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#10 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

think I'm more shocked with them shutting down NHL 07 on the PSP. That game has a HUGE following when you take into account the game was released in 2006.

#11 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

Does MS not host these servers?

Nope, they are on EA server.

Also why shut down NBA 09 for Wii? EA didnt even release NBA 10

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#12 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

No big surprises here. To be honest, I would have assumed they shut down the servers as soon as the next year game is released.
Posted Image

#13 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

so does this make some of these 360 games have some achievements that will never be unlockable, with online modes, etc?

That sucks.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#14 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:08 AM

It surprises me they would do this considering Christmas was just a few days ago...most people are going to grab the cheaper game, Madden 10...

#15 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

It surprises me they would do this considering Christmas was just a few days ago...most people are going to grab the cheaper game, Madden 10...

Most people are going to buy a game with up-to-date rosters, or a newer game in the case of something like Facebreaker. We are oddities here on CAG, most people have no interest in yesterday's games.
Posted Image

#16 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

Well, we're in a recession, and I just spent $200-250 on an Xbox 360...I'm going to want some cheap games.

#17 fuss

fuss

Insert Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I'm OK with it, they are all old games and you can not really think they will keep servers up forever.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#18 smarkbran

smarkbran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I bought facebreaker for like 5 bucks at a local shop and I was wanting to check out the online play after button mashing with some friends, but now the billion dollar corporation EA trys to pinch pennies by shutting down these servers. Fuck you EA!

Visit UltraMegaCyborg.com for the latest Gaming and Entertainment News/Reviews and of course: CONTESTS!

Who is Ultra Mega Cyborg:

#19 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

Well, we're in a recession, and I just spent $200-250 on an Xbox 360...I'm going to want some cheap games.

Like I said on CAG we're the exception. Most people are not going to buy a 360 so they can play Madden 09. People want the latest and greatest, especially when it comes to annual sports games. The rosters are the entire point, playing with them being out-of-date seems pointless(to most people).
Posted Image

#20 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

I don't think EA cares in the least bit if people have no way to play their new, but older games online.

#21 Irukandji

Irukandji

Gold Guns Girls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

Doesn't seen ridiculous to me. Online communities for console games die fast. Really fast, unless were talking about Halo or Cod. I spent a good part of my weekend trying to play fear 2 online. I ended up getting to play half of 1 game after trying for several hours. Fear 2 is less than a year old.

card.png

#22 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:26 AM

Ditto that.

Although, I can understand what contej is saying. Most people like to have the newest stuff, but that mentality has somewhat slowed since people started, you know, not having a home to live in.

I still think this is a low move from EA. They are just trying to force you to buy Madden 10. "If you want online, you have to buy the newest we have"

#23 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:28 AM

I don't think EA cares in the least bit if people have no way to play their new, but older games online.

Especially when the games were most likely bought second hand, or at such a steep discount that EA didn't see any profit.

This is the remnants of MS conceding in order to get EA games to have online on the original Xbox. EA was big enough to bully them into allowing them to run games through their own servers. The funny thing is these games still run P2P in most cases, you just have to log into the EA servers for an authentication of sorts. The servers serve no purpose other than to make sure EA has the ability to do this.

that mentality has somewhat slowed since people started, you know, not having a home to live in.

These people should probably worry a bit less about if their copy of NHL 07 has online play, and a bit more about well, everything else.
Posted Image

#24 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

At this point if anyone buying those old sport games they are getting it used.

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#25 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

Nope, they are on EA server.

Also why shut down NBA 09 for Wii? EA didnt even release NBA 10

Nobody bought it, so there's not enough people playing it to justify the upkeep for those servers.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#26 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

so does this make some of these 360 games have some achievements that will never be unlockable, with online modes, etc?

That sucks.

Yes, it is pretty common for EA to shut down game servers and make their online achievements unobtainable. Not that there is anything good about these mass shutdowns for games, but at least word gets out and you have some time to finish off the online achievements before everything shuts down. The ones that really get me are the achievements that have become unobtainable within a year of release due to how they are setup. For example the Game of the Week achievement in NBA Live 09. These ones sneak up on you so your best bet with all EA and 2K sports games is to get the online achievements out of the way ASAP or risk getting impacted by this type of thing.

Hail to Pitt!

#27 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

Can't really expect them to keep old sports game servers up and running, especially the ones that are made every year. Now if this list had included Burnout or something, then it would probably be a big deal.

#28 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

LOL Sports games and online sports games being shut down is not a major catastrophe or at least it isn't to me anyway. Now if they were to shut down any servers they have running for Mercenaries 2(a fine, fine game LMFAO), then I would be pissed.

Not really though, since I never finished the game due to all of the friggin' glitches in it. Shutting down Pandemic was the best decision EA ever made. How they went from the first Mercs game to the pos known as Mercs 2 is beyond me.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#29 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

Dont think they will touch Burnout since you can still buy the game as a download

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#30 luan87us

luan87us

I am cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

How they went from the first Mercs game to the pos known as Mercs 2 is beyond me.

Economic Recession was how.

Lucky I never took much interest in Sport Games (only like playing Soccer/racing video games)