maybe it's different in different markets, or varies manager-to-manager, but i applied with 2 years of IT experience, got a first interview (as part of a two-interview hiring process) and never got called back in. my doom seemed to be from "do you hold any certifications?", my answer being no. when i interviewed there was a guy waiting before me and a guy waiting after me, it seemed like he was just interviewing a ton of people. i felt overqualified, but no cert seemed like a dealbreaker.
my experience was as "easy resident technician" (ERT) at Staples, which is basically the Staples knock-off of Geek Squad... i felt perfectly qualified, since I had been performing the exact job they were looking for, yet didnt even get the second interview. when i interviewed the pay was $14/hr, which was $3 more than Staples was paying me at the time.
i'm just saying this so you know not to necessarily get your hopes up. they didn't list any certifications as requirements, but seemed to demand them due to the number of applications they receive. but if you're interested in the job, by all means, apply.
On products. They provide a genuine benefit to the consumer. Especially antivirus and PC tuneup. I don't really see the difference between providing a product that the consumer makes a decision on if he wants, versus selling a piece of chicken meal for $10+ which you know at the core costs maybe 1/5 that in raw goods. People go in to a restaurant for the convenience and taste of food, not because it is cheap.
you're not really being honest with yourself there. people buy a chicken meal knowing exactly what they're getting. of the customers i dealt with at staples, i'd say 95% were convinced to buy the service because a salesman pushed it on them, while the remaining 5% fit your chicken meal buying analogue with a "i don't care as much about money as i do about my time and effort" mentality.
those 5%, yeah, no guilt, but on most customers, charging $50 for a "tune-up" that any monkey with a finger could do definitely eroded the soul... the majority of customers' problems could be solved just by running any sort of antimalware app... but no, I couldn't give customers the URL for AVG, i was told to sell them a $50 piece of shit AV software and a $30 install fee... after the $40 diagnostic, of course. $110 instead of free. i definitely wasn't able to justify that with anything other than "it's my job, if i dont do it someone else will".
it definitely wasn't a bad job, though. it came with better job security and pay than most of the other positions, and i didn't have to deal with as much sales pressure as the guys on the floor.
Edited by Koggit, 28 January 2010 - 09:00 AM.