Photo
- - - - -

Midway games removed from XBLA, you can't get them at Amazon either

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:00 AM

With the bankruptcy and name change and all that, all Midway games have been removed from XBLA. They still seem to be available on PSN. The list of removed games is as follows:

Cyberball 2072
Defender
Gauntlet
Joust
Paperboy
Robotron 2084
Root Beer Tapper
Smash TV
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Most of these games are still available on Amazon, they're now basically impossible to buy.

Edited by shrike4242, 17 February 2010 - 04:43 PM.

#2 stonciddta

stonciddta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:02 AM

Could it be that they are adding to the new XBox Arcade in March?

#3 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

Could it be that they are adding to the new XBox Arcade in March?

You won't be getting MK since they have to be E rated games

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#4 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

I read that their licensing agreement with Microsoft failed to exist once they were sold to Warners and renamed.

#5 yukafls

yukafls

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Are the games worth anything? I have 2 joust codes and a mortal kombat 3 i have been tryin to trade forever.
Trade List:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=171114
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#6 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'm thinking this is merely temporary while they hammer out the details with whoever owns the IP now. The IP is too valuable for any company to just let it not be available.

#7 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

Are the games worth anything? I have 2 joust codes and a mortal kombat 3 i have been tryin to trade forever.

The codes won't do anything if the games aren't available anymore. Except for UMK3, all the other games are available on the fantastic PS2 / X-Box compilation Midway Arcade Classics, so this is no big loss. I still say that beating the entire game, or even any of the levels, without continuing, on Smash TV, is the most impossible achievement points on the X-Box.

#8 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

The codes won't do anything if the games aren't available anymore. Except for UMK3, all the other games are available on the fantastic PS2 / X-Box compilation Midway Arcade Classics, so this is no big loss

unfortunately that game isn't backwards compatible....

#9 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

The problem could be if the IPs end up in the hands of multiple companys, and whether or not they want to pay the fees to MS to distribute them. This kind of thing happens in other cases as well, for example, all the DL content for both Marvel UA 1 and 2 are no longer available because Activision doesn't have the rights to distribute them anymore. It could be viewed on a case by case basis in the future.

#10 basis

basis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

when did this occur? was it a recent event? i mean the games being removed from XBL Marketplace.

#11 dchrisd

dchrisd

F.U. Rosalina! ~ Daisy <3

• CAGiversary!

Might want to hold off buying from Amazon. You might not be able to get to your games later. When Double Dragon was delisted, people had problems getting the full version of their game up and running when reinstalling the game whether due to transferring to another HDD or something else. Ain't digital distribution great.

#12 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Lost Cities was also delisted from XBLA after Sierra Online closed. In theory Activision should have the rights but the game isnt on live any more

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#13 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:28 AM

I'd only want Smash TV. And it's not on Amazon. :(
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1044-7487

#14 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

Shoo codes still work I had a 12 month card with joust on it. Just read this and redeemed it and it did download.

#15 emceelokey

emceelokey

The Human Weapon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:54 AM

Warner Bros. bought Midway right? They own DC too right? I'm pretty sure MK is a top priority IP and they're going to eventually whore it out.

#16 Don illmatix

Don illmatix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

il take it off your hands if it works

EDIT: wait, nvm. Ive already inquired with you a few times lol
Posted ImagePosted Image
Reverse psychology got em scared to say when shit is whack
Out of fear of being called a hater, imagine that!

#17 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

Has anyone checked Mortal Kombat 2 on the PSN? I would say that is better than most of these games and it also has online play (which not all of these have, stupid Cyberball.)

Edit: Just checked PSN and MK II is still on there. It's also been in their top 20 downloads consistently since it came out.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#18 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

It is on the Wii if you have the GameCube version.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Diebythesword

Diebythesword

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

This is BS, My UMK3 better work still

#20 bigsick

bigsick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

That kinda sucks, cause when they eliminate these games from XBLA, even downloading them you only have 1 copy. If anything happens to your hard drive, or you want to delete them, you'd be SOL..thats just kinda sucky.
Posted Image

#21 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

If you already have the games, you can still download them again from your purchase history.

No need to worry.

Worry in 10 years.

#22 bigsick

bigsick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

I wouldnt advise anyone to buy Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on amazon. While it is still up, i made the mistake of purchasing it. When redeeming, it says "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code." and doesn't let me redeem. guess that 5 went in the garbage.
Posted Image

#23 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

so if you have a code for a free copy of joust, does it still work?

#24 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

I'm thinking this is merely temporary while they hammer out the details with whoever owns the IP now. The IP is too valuable for any company to just let it not be available.

I dunno. Between Double Dragon XBLA (which had the same issue since what, August? And It's still not up.) and Activision Marvel DLC something tells me It's going to be awhile. Though Ultimate Mortal Kombat was the only one I had any interest in, and even then most of these could have been had on Midway Arcade classics for dirt cheap just no achievements or online.

#25 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

You'd think MS would have learned their lesson with the crap with codes not transferring between busted consoles without major manual intervention on their part. These companies better get their shit straight on this DLC stuff. Well, who am I kidding, not enough people are going to notice the "expiration" of DLC for them to worry about it.

If you activate the content while it is valid, you should always be able to download/re-activate it, period.

#26 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

Damn, this sucks :[

seanr1221.png

#27 mogamer

mogamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

If you have the room, simply pick up a used console. I see them on craigslist for $50 or less all the time.

So first Original Xbox DLC and now the Midway properties. Digital content may the way of the future, but I'll stick to buying everything I can on disc. I'm just glad that I don't have a lot invested in Midway games. I only bought Smash TV. I used free codes for both Joust and Robotron.

#28 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'd kinda like joust, but I have the others I would want.

UMK3/SmashTV/Robotron

I'm sure someone will get on this. UMK3 was one of the best selling XBLA games since it's come out. Same way with MK2 on PSN. There's money to be made there, someone will find a way.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#29 Viper187

Viper187

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Is there DLC for any Midway releases that we should be concerned with? This pisses me off. I should just stay away from XBL on principle.
Mentally Irregular - Just an awesome book. Nothing else like it.

#30 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

I'm wondering what happens if you have the demo downloaded to your hard drive and you try to make the purchase. Most likely, you'll be given the middle finger in an error message and you won't be able to make the purchase.

Guess I'll try it this evening and see what happens.