CAG Trade-In Value Tracker - Now In Open Beta

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

CAGs have been requesting this feature for a long time so I'm pleased to announce that our Trade-In Value Tracker is now available in an open beta. Gamers can now easily browse, search, and submit trade-in values from online and brick & mortar retailers.

Currently, the trade-in value data is entirely user submitted. In the near future, we hope to automate submissions where possible.

Big thanks to CAG jp0213 for the incredible number of submissions.

Other features coming soon:

• Compare pricing data (new/used/tivs) directly from the Trade-In Value Tracker
  • Display relevant trade-in value promotions from the deals forum
As always, your feedback is encouraged!

Posted Image CAG Trade-In Value Tracker

Edited by CheapyD, 26 February 2010 - 03:37 AM.

#2 TheJerseyKush

TheJerseyKush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

You think that you guys could somehow integrate our Collections with the trade in value tracker, and sort of keep a tally and a total so we can somewhat keep and eye on the value of our collection? just a thought

#3 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

I'm guessing it would be very easy to do something like that, although TIVs may not be the best way to judge the value of your collection.

#4 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:57 AM

Thanks Cheapy.

Are you going to add TRU? or are we considering them a beta?
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#5 Kingfalcon

Kingfalcon

Look at what you did!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

Cheapy, what's to stop someone from putting bogus values into the tracker?

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:10 AM

Cheapy, what's to stop someone from putting bogus values into the tracker?

Submissions go through a moderation queue. Until those submissions are approved by a moderator, they will not appear on the latest submissions section and will be listed as "unconfirmed" when searched for.

Specific users can be given the ability to skip the moderation queue completely. Also, CAG Newbies cannot submit values.

Thanks Cheapy.

Are you going to add TRU? or are we considering them a beta?

We're going to start with these 4 retailers and add more gradually.

#7 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

It would be nice if the titles were listed alphabetically when sorted by platform.

#8 GeoHolyhart

GeoHolyhart

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:34 AM

I love it so far. Man, did I need something like this quite a bit in the past.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

I've been loving it. Inputting values from the TIV thread into the database has been quicker using that page.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#10 SolidMGSnake

SolidMGSnake

Big CAG Boss

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

Great idea.

#11 Kingfalcon

Kingfalcon

Look at what you did!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:06 AM

Great work, Cheapy. This is something everyone has been wanting for a long time and you guys were finally able to make it happen! It sounds like a lot of thought was put into the verification process, too. Thanks!

#12 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:02 AM

This is an awesome idea, however I remain skeptical seeing as GS (for example) is constantly changing TIVs, and anyone can edit the prices. Also, I don't really see if moderator approval is going to help or not, unless you count obvious errors that any CAG with half a brain could recognize.

Finally, who knows if the prices people are listing are before/after bonuses/EDGE card/etc?

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I'd love to see this implemented properly. Keep up the good work. Guess that's why its in Beta :applause:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 MarkHawk

MarkHawk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Needs more Long Island... so if you could make that happen that'd be great.
Posted Image
"Come on! It's only a Dollar!"

Goozex | Twitter |
Website | Data-Cast Podcast | Facebook | XBL Gamer Card | PSN ID

#14 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

This is an awesome idea, however I remain skeptical seeing as GS (for example) is constantly changing TIVs, and anyone can edit the prices. Also, I don't really see if moderator approval is going to help or not, unless you count obvious errors that any CAG with half a brain could recognize.

Finally, who knows if the prices people are listing are before/after bonuses/EDGE card/etc?

The verification process that has been put in place for the TIV's has been working so far since he opened the TIVs to be input by users back at some point last year. I really wish I could remember when that was. It's been a very rare item for the values to be wildly out of range on a game because of someone not putting in base value. I think I can only remember about 6 times it happened and they were remedied quickly.

One thing that may seem like a small addition to the system, but is something people in the TIV thread have been asking for, is that when you search for a game getting it to show when the price listed was last updated. Minor thing, but it being there now is definitely a big improvement.

Edited by JP, 26 February 2010 - 03:21 PM.

all-banner.jpg

#15 FluxDF

FluxDF

"Grrr" face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

One thing that may seem small but is something people in the TIV thread have been asking for is that when you search for a game and it comes up, to show when the price listed was last updated. Minor thing, but it being there is definitely a big improvement.

Does it not already do this?

Posted Image

#16 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

He's talking about an earlier version that didn't have the data age indication.

#17 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Does it not already do this?

He's talking about an earlier version that didn't have the data age indication.

Yeah, sorry. Talking about older version. I'm not at my best first thing in the morning. Will fix that wording.

all-banner.jpg

#18 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Cool I love them things.

I was thinking the other day it would be cool to track the deals I have taken advantage of on cag. LOL I know last year I blew a pretty penny. It might be impossible just too many. LOL

#19 dc_fortythree

dc_fortythree

This was a triumph

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I'd love to see this implemented properly. Keep up the good work. Guess that's why its in Beta :applause:

first off thanks cheapy for helping us all out on getting the biggest return on our video game transactions. whether it be upfront with deals or now on the backend with TIV. maximizing $s spent during TET (tough economic times) is a godsend.

based on recent experience this week i share the same concern as drktrpr1 regarding fluctuating TIVs. amazon's TIV for GTA Eps from LC dropped a $1 in a span of 3 days of my tracking. i don’t think a user/moderator system is the ideal way of approving TIVs as a possible backlog building up around price drops, sales, and TIV deals could outdate values before their reviewed. seeing how the deals forum is reliable through user policing, i think removing the moderator approval before logging TIVs would work too.

thanks again and keep up the great work!

Edited by dc_fortythree, 26 February 2010 - 04:25 PM.
clearer wording

#20 Limet

Limet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

IT would be nice when you search for a game that it shows the TIV from all the retailers instead of just one.

Like i would just type in Bayonetta and the TIV for Amazon,Blockbuster,gamecrazy,gamestop would come up instead of having to choose each seperate one from the dropdown menu.

but overall great job.

#21 jacobisconfused

jacobisconfused

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

IT would be nice when you search for a game that it shows the TIV from all the retailers instead of just one.

Like i would just type in Bayonetta and the TIV for Amazon,Blockbuster,gamecrazy,gamestop would come up instead of having to choose each seperate one from the dropdown menu.

but overall great job.

I like this idea. But so far it's an awesome tool. Thanks a lot!

#22 rywateska

rywateska

Sorry for partying.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

This is what has been missing. Hopefully the integration keeps on ramping up so that it is easier to use this vs going to a forum thread.

Currently it is a matter of three clicks to get the information I want:
CAG Forums > Subscriptions > Trade-In Thread

Find a way to make it easier/faster than that and I am hooked.

This is going to be an often used feature only if you can add in the following things:
1. Actual date of trade-in quote (in addition to how many hours/days ago)
2. An easy link in the top search toolbar
3. An "ALL" function so you can see all the trade-in values (+Goozex?) as opposed to a single store (it currently takes four+ searches to find this information)
4. A simple or incentive-based way to upload trade-in values, or have a moderator be responsible for this?

Posted Image

#23 FluxDF

FluxDF

"Grrr" face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

"trade-in values" from the nav bar at the top of the site.

#24 rywateska

rywateska

Sorry for partying.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

"trade-in values" from the nav bar at the top of the site.

*search bar = instant gratification

Posted Image

#25 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

based on recent experience this week i share the same concern as drktrpr1 regarding fluctuating TIVs. amazon's TIV for GTA Eps from LC dropped a $1 in a span of 3 days of my tracking. i don’t think a user/moderator system is the ideal way of approving TIVs as a possible backlog building up around price drops, sales, and TIV deals could outdate values before their reviewed. seeing how the deals forum is reliable through user policing, i think removing the moderator approval before logging TIVs would work too.

1) Soon, Amazon trade-in value data will be automatically pulled and user submissions won't be necessary.

2) Unapproved submissions still appear when you search for TIVs, they are just marked as "Unconfirmed". Currently, they don't appear in the latest submissions area, but I'm sure we can easily change that and just mark them as "Unconfirmed" too.

but overall great job.

We will soon be adding total pricing data (used/new/tivs) to the system, much like you see on a individual game's page.

This is what has been missing. Hopefully the integration keeps on ramping up so that it is easier to use this vs going to a forum thread.

Currently it is a matter of three clicks to get the information I want:
CAG Forums > Subscriptions > Trade-In Thread

1) Type game name into main CAG search bar
2) Click on game name
3) Look at all pricing data

This is going to be an often used feature only if you can add in the following things:
1. Actual date of trade-in quote (in addition to how many hours/days ago)
2. An easy link in the top search toolbar
3. An "ALL" function so you can see all the trade-in values (+Goozex?) as opposed to a single store (it currently takes four+ searches to find this information)
4. A simple or incentive-based way to upload trade-in values, or have a moderator be responsible for this?

Why is the date better than x days ago?
See above for #2 and 3
It's not simple now? You can enter in TIVs very fast with the current system. I'm not sure how it could be faster. The problem with offering incentives is that you risk enticing people who really don't care about providing real data, they just want the incentive.

#26 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

I agree that an incentive's based system would be dangerous in regards to accuracy. You would have a mod spending more time trying to clear out all of the bogus data. I think how it currently works, and correct me if I'm wrong Cheapy, is that a price that get's input that is different it shows as uncomfirmed. It then shows as confirmed when someone either input's the same price again or if they click the check mark next to the value if they edit it in that manner. There haven't been too many miscues in that setup. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, just that I haven't seen a huge issue with it currently.

Being able to have the Amazon TIVs pulled directly will be great. I wish there was someone with some pull to get that from GameStop but there is no way they would ever give that kind of information out like that.

all-banner.jpg

#27 TheJerseyKush

TheJerseyKush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

are you gonna create some form of a profile for hardware? like consoles, controllers, guitar hero guitars etc.. ?

#28 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

1) Soon, Amazon trade-in value data will be automatically pulled and user submissions won't be necessary.

Cheapy, are you interested in legacy data for Amazon? I have values dating back to August if you're interested and would be glad to provide John with a database dump.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#29 Labbo94

Labbo94

Zack the CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Very nice... CAG is definitely expanding from a site that leaks Sunday ads to a full blown one-stop-shop kind of deal for everything video games. Keep it up.

#30 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

An amazing feature. Thanks Cheapy and the contributers.
This will help me in the sense if I see a game for $15 or less knowing how much money I'll lose on it if I end up not liking it (at this rate trading in games has become a better option with the stupid eBay and Paypal fees for games under $20).