Photo
- - - - -

Steam - Midweek Madness: Indie Games. ($2 each, $9.99 for all) "Altitude" and more!

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

I'm surprised no one's posted this, so I may have simply missed the topic somewhere.

Midweek Madness: Indie Games.
Posted Image

Several independent titles available for just $2 each or $9.99 for all 7: Gridrunner, Space Giraffe, Bullet Candy, Bob Came in Pieces, Altitude, Super Laser Racer, and Galcon Fusion! (Sorry, nothing like Braid or Defense Grid; Those got their $2.50 deals during the Holiday Sale.)

I'm interested, since $2 is an excellent price for any single game. However, I don't see anything truly worth picking up. Your thoughts, CAGer's?

Available MetaCritic Scores:
Altitude (78)
Gridrunner Revolution (79)

UPDATE: Bitter1961 has informed us that Bullet Candy Perfect is available for as low as $1 from the author's official website. The "Perfect" edition features better graphics, and comes with the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

Edited by EliotAndrews, 03 March 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#2 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

What's the verdict on these games. They seem interesting, but somehow I think I might be happier with the two dollars.
To each his own.

#3 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

I can only speak for Bullet Candy, which is pretty cool. The rest have demos I think so I'm gonna give them a crack.

#4 bayagrow

bayagrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

I might get altitude for $2. thanks!

#5 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

I added the MetaCritic scores, and I believe Altitude won some indie awards recently. I stand by what I said before, though: Putting badly-drawn breasts on your game's logo art (Altitude) seems like pandering; I get the feeling there's an uninteresting game hidden behind them.

#6 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

I dove in and got the 10 dollar bundle. Thanks op
Insert clever line here......

#7 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

Woop, bought the whole shebang. Love these cheap shotgun deals on indie games, bound to like something out of the pack, and I get a kick out of fiddling with everything anyway.

And speaking of Defense Grid, the Steam version just got updated with the 4 bonus maps the 360 version had, which is nice.

#8 _k1_

_k1_

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Giant Bomb had a quick look of Altitude a while back: http://www.giantbomb...titude/17-1770/

--
:ps4: MGSV:GZ,Lego MSH| :ps3: FFXIII:LR | :360: nothing|  :vita: nothing| :pc: Random|  :3ds: ACNL,BD:FF| :ps2: nothing| :psp: nothing|  :wii: nothing 

#9 SpaceSpace

SpaceSpace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

Altitude is the most tempting one, but I dunno...

Posted Image

#10 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hated the demo of Altitude, but I might go for Galcon...

#11 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

So far, Bob Came in Pieces seems like the most interesting choice, making a Lunar Lander / Metroid hybrid. Everything else seems like a pass.

At least I've got the time to consider it all. Thanks Steam!

#12 bitter1961

bitter1961

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Finally an Indie bundle where I don't already own even one of the games! I'm jumping on this bundle, it's a great price considering I have heard good things about most of them, and they're all games I've been curious about.

Gridrunner and Space Giraffe are two I've been eyeing for a while, but they have been hovering around $15-$20 for the last year -- I assumed they'd go on sale eventually, after being added to Steam a few days ago, but not this cheap and this soon! They're by Jeff Minter, which should be a familiar (retro) name to quite a few, and there's been quite a lot of love for them on the various indie-friendly sites.

Bob Came In Pieces has gotten pretty good reviews too. Playing the demo, I was disappointed that it didn't have a thruster/lunar lander control feel to it, but was instead more a platformer with unlimited jump height. But I can see how adding heavy gravity and momentum would make it a totally different game than the puzzle game they're going for.

I've heard decent things about all of the others, not of universally loving praise for all of them, but still good, and would have considered any of them if they'd popped up at $2 by themselves. I don't think any of the games in this pack have had the breaking-into-the-mainstream success of titles like World of Goo or Braid, but they're all fairly well known indie titles, not just filler. Altitude was Steam's top selling under-$10 title after it came out, and Galcon Fusion is the sequel to an IGF Mobile winner that has been doing quite well on the iPhone and as a Flash game on the web, for example.

But if you're just looking at Bullet Candy you can get the newer improved Bullet Candy Perfect straight from the author for any price you want, starting at $1. It's basically the same game, but with improved graphics and compatibility, so it's probably a better choice than the old version on Steam.

#13 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna have to try some demos and do research tomorrow about these.

#14 basis

basis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:07 AM

Altitude & GalCon fusion for me!

i wished the original GalCon was on sale...

#15 Xealot42

Xealot42

Psi-Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

I'm not familiar with some of these but Gridrunner Revolution is definitely worth $2.00 if you like psychedelic shoot-em-ups.

#16 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

Yay for random never-heard-of game purchasing. Always a chance to find something you love.

Thanks OP!

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

#17 GreatDoink

GreatDoink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

I heard good things about Space Giraffe, anyone have first hand experience?

sig.gif 

#18 AnotherStereotype

AnotherStereotype

Citizen Insane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:41 AM

Nabbed the pack, mainly for Galcon Fusion and Bob Came in Pieces. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Posted Image

#19 ___Vizion___

___Vizion___

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:46 AM

I've been trying to find an excuse to get altitude, but now it feels like I'm buying that and six free games, sold!

#20 ddrpower

ddrpower

MMO fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

Almost got the gridrunner + space giraffe for $15 before, now all that for $10? Incredible!
Just a PC Gamer on Steam and League of Legends. Always remember: Have fun, never at the complete expense of others.

#21 Muitabui

Muitabui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

Besides Steam eating up my wallet
I really do enjoy that they are exposing these indie games
Altitude is like TF2 in air (sorta)

#22 F8X

F8X

CAG app for the Android!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

everyone should pick up altitude . Great game.

#23 Unrealevil

Unrealevil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

;_; Such a great deal.

Makes up for the sports sales.

Posted Image

no sorry don't want you masturbating to my girlfriend while you play wow and eat hot pockets.

#24 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

Thanks OP! bought the indie pack. 7 games for $10 and in the process, give indie gaming some love, why not?!

I am sure I can find $10 worth of fun somewhere, if I ever find the time to play them...

steam plus all current consoles/handhelds is more than my spare time can handle.

#25 phragit

phragit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:49 AM

Was going to be buying every one of these games when I got some cash...guess I don't have to wait, now :) thank you steam...just played an hour of altitude and it rocks
Posted Image

#26 jshawnd

jshawnd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:52 AM

This deal is incredible. I was already planning on rebuying two of my favorite games through the recently-added Llamasoft combo pack for $15. Hooray for procrastination.

Gridrunner Revolution is beautiful. Highly recommended, if you have even a passing interest in zone-induced gameplay.

Space Giraffe - if you've been put off by the XBLA version, the PC version includes a new mode that is much more playable. It's well worth the reinvestment.

And 5 more to-be-explored games for just $6 more...this is my Steam deal of the year.

#27 jezz.torrent

jezz.torrent

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

I tend to buy indie games that I am really interested in immediately, which means that indie game pack sales are a waste on me. This one is great because I don't have any of these games yet. Of course that means that I'm not particularly interested in any of them, but still, for $10 I can't go wrong.

I do like trippy retro visuals, so I should find at least one good game among Space Giraffe and Gridrunner and Galcon and Bullet Candy and Super Laser Racer.

And I heard some really good things about Bob Came in Pieces on Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpaper...came-in-pieces/

So, yay!

EDIT: Just played a bit of Bob Came in Pieces. Its really adorable and fun so far. Puzzler game with really nice mechanics.

Edited by jezz.torrent, 03 March 2010 - 06:03 AM.

#28 sniping_dreamer

sniping_dreamer

Pew pew pew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

I need to scrounge up Internet-moneyz for Altitude. $2 is way too low of a price to pass up.
Posted Image

#29 shytface

shytface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

I was looking at Altitude for $7.99 during the Steam Holiday Sale and decided to wait for it to drop more. At $2 I'm definitely gonna pick it up, thanks OP.

#30 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

galcon is solid. sold on that, ill check the others out.

there is a demo for galcon fyi.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image