CAGcast #190: World of Duty

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Join us for discussion on Activision vs. Infinity Ward, Halo Reach, Bioshock 2, the PS3 clock error, and a spoiler filled Mass Effect 2 talk. We also answer your CAGbag and Twitter questions and oh so much more!

Download - 121 minutes, 58MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN

and a free Netfix trial!

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 04 March 2010 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

Sweet downloading now
Insert clever line here......

#3 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Wombat, I think you mean God of War II should've been released on PS3 instead of PS2 in March 2007 (6 months after the PS3's launch). Sony has mishandled a lot of other franchises worse than God of War; Ratchet & Clank being a PRIME example.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4 hendersonman

hendersonman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

Again Wombat is an idiot. GOW2 on PS2 was relased in 2007. Then the PSP in 2008. So obviously this idiot cant count. 3 years, not 5

#5 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

Again Wombat is an idiot. GOW2 on PS2 was relased in 2007. Then the PSP in 2008. So obviously this idiot cant count. 3 years, not 5

Hey, speaking of idiots... God of War 2 was never released on the PSP :)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

I can't listen right now, but do they discuss Cheapy's inability to deliver results of the cheapy awards? :P

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Exton

Exton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

That really sucks having Heavy Rain spoiled, playing through and engrossing yourself with the story gave me the same feeling when i played through Mass Effect 2, but what are you going to do nowadays with the internet. There's always one jack-off whose soul purpose is to ruin things for other people. Still it shouldn't detract you from playing it since still a game after all and not a M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Edited by Exton, 04 March 2010 - 10:57 AM.
LOL @ JIVE TALK, made my day.

#8 kiribee

kiribee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, I was victim of that spoiler bastard poster...
Next time I'll be sure to do nothing else but play a game like that 24/7 and then go online after I'm done :|

#9 returd

returd

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Why does Shipwreck like Sega? They haven't made a good game for years. Sonic Unleashed looked, played, and smelled like shit.

#10 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Ya, I had people try and spoil Heavy Rain for me. I guess people get off on ruining others experiences.

#11 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Here's the article about the Kings Quest fan game that I mentioned:
http://oneofswords.c...-silver-lining/

#12 koruwa

koruwa

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Here's the article about the Kings Quest fan game that I mentioned:
http://oneofswords.c...-silver-lining/

yea i read about that. It's a pretty dick move to kill the project after such a long time in development :/

Capitalization is the difference between I helped my uncle Jack off a horse and I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

#13 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

Great show, I just finished the first Mass Effect a few hours ago (paragon). I can't wait to listen to the spoiler filled discussion you guys had after I get around to finishing the sequel my self.
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#14 SINNED

SINNED

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Awesome.

#15 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

downloading this beast right now!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#16 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

You proved my point, they have done such a bad job with the franchise, I can't even remember when it was released. Thanks for the help in making me look smart.

#17 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

good episode keep it up
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 tsg2005

tsg2005

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

I completely agree with Wombat on the GoW franchise. I've lost interest in it, espcially after playing the demo. You can tell that a new company did the game and it just doesn't have that thrill that it used to have IMO.

As far as the Infinity Ward guys getting fired. They deserve it. Yes MW2 sold well and the single player is good, but when it came to multiplayer, they just didnt care. We all know it should have had a beta to fix its MULTIPLE problems. The only patches released fixed very minor things while the major problems were completely ignored. As far as I'm concerned, they did a half ass job on MW2 and Activision has every right to fire whoever they want since they own the company now. I would HATE to see any game come out of Infinity Ward with those retards running the show. Its business & I'm sure Activision is making the right business decision.

BTW, I'm a computer gamer also and the SC2 beta key would be sooo awesome :P

#19 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Awesome. I just woke up and and I was thinking about playing some Fallout 3, but I have to check this out first.

#20 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, please don't talk about PC games... I think all that would happen is that you piss off PC gamers.

Case in point: Shipwreck saying that King's Quest games are not related. They are. Each game is a direct sequel and they are all set in the same world. The reason why The Silver Lining (the KQ fan game) exists is because they wanted to make a sequel set in the franchise with the characters.

The group is made up of King's Quest fans who wanted to make a KQ game. The group would not exist otherwise. Could they redo the game? It's possible, with a lot of work to edit out all the references, but the original intent was to make a KQ sequel. That would be like a group of friends starting out as a Metallica cover band suddenly being told they must perform Taylor Swift songs. Is it possible? Sure. But it's not what they want to do.

The fact that Vivendi and the fan group had a legal memorandum of understanding regarding the game and it's use of the King's Quest universe shows that Activision basically did this out of spite.

Also, the person you were quoting about how companies need to protect their IPs obviously doesn't know anything about how often this stuff happens. George Lucas lets people make shitty Star Wars films/games/books/whatever. He even judges a Star Wars fan film contest and no one is going to try to steal Star Wars from him any time soon.

There's a way to treat fans. You can treat them like shit or you can try to get them excited about your products - like Valve with the Portal update. Both are valid and it's definitely cheaper to treat people like shit... but hey, a little customer service and appreciation for your fans goes a long way.

Edit: also, you guys were wrong about how Mass Effect 2 lets you change the outcome of the first game. You can only change one thing, and it's relatively minor. If you do not import a character, the game has a "canon" version of the Mass Effect 1 story.

Edited by firehawk12, 04 March 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#21 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I actually have played three King's Quest games, but they never seemed to relate to me (kind of like the Final Fantasy games). It's been a long time though and I never played two consecutive games in the series, so I'm sure you are probably right and that they are linked together somehow.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#22 NutManIV

NutManIV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

I don't really agree with the way the guy kinda went after Wombat over the whole Ubisoft DRM thing, but I do think that Wombat was totally wrong in defending it.

Fact is, any discussion like "Well you probably have a good internet connection anyway" is pointless. Why? Because no matter what this will only ever affect people who paid money for the game. That's why it's so stupid! The only people who risk having their experience hindered or ruined are people who PAY for it!

#23 Drkr_Zen

Drkr_Zen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Wombat, I think you mean God of War II should've been released on PS3 instead of PS2 in March 2007 (6 months after the PS3's launch). Sony has mishandled a lot of other franchises worse than God of War; Ratchet & Clank being a PRIME example.

How so? The R&C series has been a top quality one whether it be on the PS2 or PS3, selling millions with a huge fanbase and Greatest Hit after Greatest Hit. As for GoWII, it was just fine where it ended up, IMO. Sure, it could have been delayed further and become a PS3 title (which would have been dumb), but it went onto become a great PS2 game. Sony still hasn't written off support for the PS2 due to how great a system it is... the same can't be said over the original XBOX as Microsoft mishandled that console entirely and just wasn't that great of a system.

Either way, I can't wait for God of War III. The game just looks frickin' epic. And, I'm glad the PS3 scare is said and done well before its release, as well as FFXIII's, heh. It really does do everything... including fix itself. Too bad that isn't a feature with a 360 to pair up with RRoDing.

#24 actripxl

actripxl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Cheapy gives us the ip address of that douchbag so we can track him down, that Fuck ruined the game for me after I spent over 6 months of avoiding anything on Heavy Rain. I still got the game, but I really want to find this Fuck and Fuck his shit up.

Also ME2 while good is not great, Zaeed, Jacob, Miranda, side stories sucks. Heck the only ones that were truly interesting were Mordin, Legion, and Garrus while the rest were just ok.

51446.png

Can't wait for the next Uncharted and Halo on my next-gen systems!

#25 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

I actually have played three King's Quest games, but they never seemed to relate to me (kind of like the Final Fantasy games). It's been a long time though and I never played two consecutive games in the series, so I'm sure you are probably right and that they are linked together somehow.

The majority of the games feature characters from the same family with the exception of the last game, which was an action adventure Zelda type game and not a point and click game.

They aren't direct sequels in so much as one game leads directly to the next, but they share the same continuity (unlike the Final Fantasy games which definitely are not related to each other). Events from previous games will be referenced in each game and such.

In fact, all the Quest games - with the exception of Police Quest - are continuous series that build off previous games.

#26 NutManIV

NutManIV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Nooooo! I was so excited for the browser-based Tribes. Your inside man better be wrong Cheapy. That really sucks...

I loved the original Tribes as a kid. What a bummer.

#27 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

The problem with the Ubisoft DRM isn't just having an internet connection, but having a 100% solid internet connection. Wireless is especially prone to interruptions and many routers time out and need to be reset sometimes. The game kicks you back to your last checkpoint if it has trouble connecting. What the heck? What happens if the Ubisoft servers are down, and especially when Ubisoft shuts them down completely (you know it will happen eventually, look at how soon EA servers get dropped). The kiss of death is the $60 price point too. If every game on the PC releases at that, piracy will reach a new high.

#28 cheesycrouton

cheesycrouton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

Great show. I enjoyed the discussion of Tribes. I agree that Tribes needs to make a comeback. I think a hybrid between Red Faction: Guerrilla & Tribes would be a hit.

#29 dacool561

dacool561

Take a Look at This

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

wish i could listen to all the show today, but i'm still gathering team members in ME2. Hopefully I'll finish the game this weekend and listen to the rest of the show =) great show though from all that I could listen too.

#30 Zelos

Zelos

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

I would like to start by saying that I was never big on PvP FPS until tribes dragged me into the genre, Tribes 2 was and still is the best FPS of all time in my book, never got into 3 because my system at the time couldn't really handle it. I'll admit initially I thought a game that was pretty much online only was a stupid idea, then I played it and all was good.

That sorta leads into the whole DRM online required to play singleplayer games.
There is an up and a downside to them as I see it ...

I'll start with the downside, that this along with pretty much all DRM it only really inconveniences the honest paying customers and most of the companies have flat out admitted its pretty much only good at stopping zero day piracy.

The upside is that it allows me to quickly decide what games and in some cases developers/publishers I want nothing to do with. Personally I think they should be required by law to put big warring stickers on the front of their packages that advertise what sort of phone home, DRM, Rootkit their game is going to try to install on your system.

I'm with wombat 100%, If you don't like the DRM then don't buy the game and don't pirate it. For Example I've been on a pretty solid boycott of EA for a while now haven't purchased or played an EA title or game by a company that EA has absorbed, in quite a while. Now this does mean I have missed out on some really good games but I sure as hell won't support them. I have been thinking about breaking ranks and buying some Used EA games because they are solid games but I wouldn't touch them new with a 10ft pole.

Not to say that I don't buy new games by any means I currently have three preorders out for this the wonderful month of march. From publishing companies I hold in higher regard like SEGA, XSEED and NIS.

Edited by Zelos, 04 March 2010 - 04:56 PM.